Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 04-29-2013, 11:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Remington 597, 22 rifle with scope

I bought one, now the wait. I went to keep shooting.com and bought 4 magazines @ 12.95 each. A review said the gun is prone to jam, any truth to this? Anyone buy the keep shooting magazines and if so, how are they?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Samuel Adams
Old 04-29-2013, 12:59 PM
Concerned Citizen
CGN Contributor

Bought mine last year and really like it a lot. Also bought the keepshooting magazines. They work great and feel more solid than the stock magazine does.

Made several upgrades to my 597. Replaced the hammer, extractor, bought the Centerpoint 4-16x40mm scope from Wally World. Nice scope. The Volquartsen hammer really makes the rifle feel like a completely different rifle. Improved my groups nicely. Recommend that upgrade. Very helpful info can be found on Rimfirecentral.com. Read up on tightening the guide rods. Enjoy your 597 when you get it. Think you will like it.
Old 04-29-2013, 2:36 PM

The 597 jamming issue is mag related. They are now on about the 4th gen. magazine. I think they finally got it sorted out. When you get the rifle, clean and lube. Don't know how many threads I've seen where the OP gets a new firearm, heads right to the range and then bashes the gun for all types of ills. The grease that they ship with is meant as a rust preventative, not a lubricant. Give the rifle a chance.

Give it a proper break-in with HV ammo, MiniMags seem to be the round of choice. After the first 500 rounds or so you should get a good idea of what the rifle is really capable of.
Old 04-29-2013, 4:30 PM

No problems with mine at all. Clean it good and go shoot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4B_pd-yRWE&hd=1

Glock 20C at indoor range....
http://youtu.be/T4bP8DnhT9Q

Powder For Sale:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1096264
Old 04-29-2013, 4:51 PM

I have one of the very first 597's issued. The early mags were iffy. Rem replaced them without a problem and in some cases, as mine, actually replaced two for one due to the horrible webslams.
I have third gen mags and no problems. Compared to my 1022's the 597 is more "rifle like". I did change out the hammer and have a evo stock now. The gun is accurate and fun to shoot.
There are some "how to's" on the mags at RFC which will definitely help.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Thank you guys, now I will just wait my 11 days and clean it well when it gets home.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Samuel Adams

Last edited by johnthomas; 05-01-2013 at 12:46 AM..
Old 05-01-2013, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthomas View Post
I bought one, now the wait. I went to keep shooting.com and bought 4 magazines @ 12.95 each. A review said the gun is prone to jam, any truth to this? Anyone buy the keep shooting magazines and if so, how are they?
Very nice rifle, new magazines work great. They have steel feeding lips and follower.

Can be had for less than 10/22 but only come in rubber stock, I like furniture.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:15 PM

Mine has no real issue with jamming, it happens rarely with cheap ammo, I like where the controls on it are located on it better then my 1022
Old 05-03-2013, 2:35 PM
Concerned Citizen
CGN Contributor

MajTom,

I ordered a used laminate stock from:
Western Gun Parts Ltd.
W.G.P. Ltd
18124-107 Ave
Edmonton, AB, Canada T5S 1K5
780-489-5711 Fax 780-489-5717

Very nice stock, in good condition. Gives the 597 a nice solid feel. Sometimes they advertise on Gun Broker. Mine was $70 - $45 for the stock, $25 for shipping from Canada. Check them out.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Tomorrow is 11 days since I DROS'ed the rifle, the magazines came today, box smashed and wrapped in plastic with a form letter saying they strive for perfection but the machine squashed the package. Before I allowed myself to to get upset, I opened it and checked the mags, they look good, not broken or cracked. I will pick the rifle up tomorrow night, maybe shoot it Sunday.
Samuel Adams
Old 05-13-2013, 2:00 PM

I have had mine since dec, I already had remington send me a replacement magazine because I had issues with jamming after 500 rnds or so, cleaning did nothing. The trick is to not load all 10. It is kind of annoying but it does work. I love this rifle but I hate the mags, Id like to hear about these new mags your trying. Good luck!
Old 05-13-2013, 5:33 PM

I have had mine for about 8 years. Have had some feeding issues, recently I installed a volquartsen extractor and no more stove pipes. Highly recomend the extractor upgrade. Mine also hates winchester super x. Have good lick with any cci or remington golden bullets.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:09 PM

Like caluke I upgraded to the VQ extractor.I did it just because I had read the factory ones were weak and I was fighting other issues with the gun.
I have owned 2 of them now that the trigger reset went bad on.It is the little finger that sticks up from the trigger parts that the bolt hits when it is fired.The first one I bought the complete trigger group from Remington for I think $38.Well the second one just pissed me off.I tack welded a little piece of metal on the reset tab and then filed it until the bolt would strike it.It worked perfect and a Google search will show anyone the video of a guy doing this.
Both guns have been reliable other then the trigger reset and they are accurate.
I would like to find one now in 22 Mag.
Old 05-19-2013, 8:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Well, I shot the 597 today. Never even a a misfire. I tried the cci quiet ammo. It would not cycle with the reduced powder charge in the quiet rounds.
I didn't really expect it to. As a side note about the cci quiets, They sound like pellets from a pellet or bb gun. They are touted as not needing ear protection when shooting them. The action of the gun is louder than the pffffffttttt noise while shooting. I took one apart along with a higher power cci round. The quiets have about one fourth to one third the powder as the regular round.
- Caliber: 22 LR
- Grain: 40
- Bullet: Lead Round Nose
- Muzzle Velocity: 710 fps
- 50 Rounds per Box
Samuel Adams

Last edited by johnthomas; 05-21-2013 at 9:49 AM..