Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:02 PM

Default traveling with guns (rifles/handguns) out of state, how to transport

so, I need some clarification on traveling through ca to az (family reunion) with an ar a few hanguns maybe a 22lr and maybe a shotgun or two. also taking ammo.

We enjoy shooting and so does the family (in az and visiting from tx) but I don't want any drama or to have any of my guns/ammo taken away if we get pulled over.

we usually carry our guns in their factory cases, with mags out but loaded and locks on cases in back of suv. Is this legal?

thanks for any info.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
guns in their factory cases, with mags out but loaded and locks on cases in back of suv
That meet's CA's requirements. Enjoy your trip.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum - most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Heller was 2008. McDonald was 2010. Things started getting bad with GCA-1968.
It takes time to unwind 40 years of bad law.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
That meet's CA's requirements. Enjoy your trip.
+1.
However, I still carry all ammo (in mags or not) in a separate locked case from the locked cases my firearms are contained within.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Not required in Ca. mags can be loaded in same case but not inserted into firearm.but suit yourself.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
Not required in Ca. mags can be loaded in same case but not inserted into firearm.but suit yourself.
Not what the CHP officers I work with say. They say a magazine loaded and in same case / locked box equals loaded handgun /rifle.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRain View Post
+1.
However, I still carry all ammo (in mags or not) in a separate locked case from the locked cases my firearms are contained within.
Not required at all.

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 04-29-2013, 1:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkat View Post
Not what the CHP officers I work with say. They say a magazine loaded and in same case / locked box equals loaded handgun /rifle.
Tell them to read what the law actually says and to quit making up law as they go unless they want a lawsuit in the future. There is plenty of case law on this matter.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 04-29-2013, 1:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkat View Post
I call BS when I see it. I doubt it.

The irony is the CHP OFFICIAL WEBSITE says just the opposite.

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html

Cut and Paste below:

I will be traveling to California and want to carry my weapon. I currently have a concealed weapon permit. How can I legally transport my weapon while driving through the state?
California law does not recognize concealed weapon permits from other states; therefore, they would not be held valid. If you wish to transport a handgun during your California visit, it should be carried unloaded in a locked container. In the absence of a suitable container, you may secure the unloaded handgun in the locked trunk of a passenger car. Ammunition may be kept in the same container or trunk, but the handgun must remain unloaded with no rounds in the cylinder and no loaded magazines in the magazine well.
If you have additional questions, contact the California Department of Justice at 916-227-3703.

Do us a favor and show your CHP buddies their own website.

Let's stop some FUD.

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 04-29-2013, 1:36 PM

Thanks guys! my mind is a little more at ease...ugh ca regulations!
Old 04-29-2013, 2:33 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Thomcat is correct in that a lot of CHP officers feel that way, and will arrest for concealed / loaded weapon with ammo loaded in mags, not inserted in firearms, but locked in same case w/ firearm. That was previous academy training, I believe.

BUT, subsequent case law has defined "loaded" as magazine with ammunition inserted into the firearm.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamper781 View Post
Thomcat is correct in that a lot of CHP officers feel that way, and will arrest for concealed / loaded weapon with ammo loaded in mags, not inserted in firearms, but locked in same case w/ firearm. That was previous academy training, I believe.

BUT, subsequent case law has defined "loaded" as magazine with ammunition inserted into the firearm.
Getting into it with a cop on the side of the road is usually not a good idea. I would have the guns in their locked case and the ammo and unloaded mags in another locked case. The closer you get to having a loaded weapon, the more excited the cop will get. He don't want to get shot...