Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 04-28-2013, 4:30 PM

Default Any Experience with SUUNTO X-Lander Watch?

Hi,

Does anyone own or have any experience with the SUUNTO X-Lander watch. I'm an avid Hiker and would like a watch to provide Altimeter, Barometer, Compass and that would be reliable in the field. I have looked online and read the reviews, but would like the personal experience of fellow Calgunners! Please provide PROS and CONS of your experience and if necessary another watch recommendation. Thanks for your inputs.
Old 04-28-2013, 7:23 PM

All pros. No cons.

Served me well for 9 years and running...carbon fiber backing, aluminum frame. X-lander. Been around the world.

I heard Suunto outsources them in China now. Not sure if all of their lines are outsourced. I have a buddy that owns a newer Suunto Core and broke apart internally.

Mine is the older x-lander made in Finland.

Last edited by BisDak; 04-28-2013 at 8:02 PM..
Old 04-28-2013, 7:35 PM

I have a new suunto I bought from botach, made in china. real crap. Water condensation under the screen f up the watch. Bad o ring seal. Never again. The old made in Finland were great.

I rock the Casio Gshock Protrek now or the timex expedition ( compass only but super tough and cheap)
Old 04-28-2013, 8:07 PM

Thanks for the Feedback, I'm leaning towards the Suunto, but I also checked out the G-shock ProTrek at REI, and they are running around $250. It looked rugged too. Hey Bisdak, does the X-lander allow a hiker to track waypoints or distance (mileage)?
Old 04-28-2013, 8:08 PM

you can find the protrek for around $160 on ebay or amazon. the Garmin fortrex 401 are nice too (backtracking function) but i'ts more like a GPS on your wrist.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spex View Post
Thanks for the Feedback, I'm leaning towards the Suunto, but I also checked out the G-shock ProTrek at REI, and they are running around $250. It looked rugged too. Hey Bisdak, does the X-lander allow a hiker to track waypoints or distance (mileage)?
No it does not.

Try Garmin. My brother has the garmin forerunner 410 and swears by it. He likes to see the feedback/downloaded on the computer after he works-out. Waypoints, dist, heart rate, elev gain, topo, etc...

Bad idea if you have a wife that tracks you. Or, if you're a secret squirrel.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:28 AM

Thanks H2H and BisDak for the recommendations. I'll check those out and see what is more suitable for my needs.

@ BisDak, luckily I have a "cloaking device" to minimize my whereabouts :-)
Old 05-05-2013, 5:37 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have used mine for many high altitude expeditions. Never had a problem. You do have to understand how to reset the altimeter at known points. It does not adjust automatically to large altitude differences automatically. In other words you baseline it at 3000ft, then at 5000, 7000, 9000, etc. That will keep it accurate to about 100ft. When I went from 500ft in San Diego to 14,500 at Mount Whitney without readjusting it was off by about 2000ft at the summit.

"Every man dies, not every man really lives!"

Old 05-05-2013, 6:41 AM

Thanks for the tip coryhenry, I went ahead and purchased a Suunto Vector from a seller here in Calguns. So far its pretty cool watch, yet to wear it on my next Hike in Yosemite!