Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 04-28-2013, 8:16 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
Bs. Big talker. I have a state license that I need to earn a living. These are routinely revoked or suspended for things like DUI.

My license is good only here.

I lose that license, I lose my house, and everything else. It sucks here. I don't want to register. But I did last time and if I have to, I will again.

You go ahead and move your weapons out of state, that's real brave, or hide them and never shoot them or even tell anyone you have them, again, very brave.

I doubt that you intend to keep weapons that the state requires registration of and continue shooting and transporting them without registering. If you do, kudos, that can indeed appear to be brave.

You have no business calling someone a sheep over this issue.
Missed the tongue in cheek part Mr. Sensitive. Baahhh

[CENTER][B]
THE ONLY TRUE CONSERVATIVE IN THE RACE

DONATE www.TEDCRUZ.ORG <--official donation link .ORG
Old 04-28-2013, 8:23 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgn02 View Post
Missed the tongue in cheek part Mr. Sensitive. Baahhh
YOU missed my...I meant...

Yeah. I missed it. My apologies.

To me, this is a personal choice. I won't criticize anyone either way, it's not my job to help LE enforce these laws. I have occasionally tipped fellow shooter off to issues with configurations, but wouldn't ever turn anyone in for this.

I went through this with my RAWS. I wanted them, I refused to sell them, and I wasn't going to keep them 800 miles away. I registered them after much soul searching, so far so good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
Please stop judging me. Your ad hominem attack does nothing more than show you don't pack the gear for this debate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Hero View Post
I love this thread. One person standing alone masturbating furiously, while everyone else is pointing and laughing at his small weenie.
XXXX
Old 04-28-2013, 8:41 AM
Calguns Addict

My thoughts are if the Police are setting up Check Points outside of Shooting Ranges we have already lost our rights.

(This conversation is based on a 'what if' in the future. So far, nothing like this has happened)

In order to enforce such a Check Point the Police would probably run it like a DUI Sobriety Check Point. You leave the gun range and get caught in a line that narrows down to one lane. Dozens of cops dressed in SWAT gear, flashing lights, cars up ahead are parked with the trunks open and several uniformed officers are searching for guns, inspecting your personal belongings, even checking for drugs, alcohol, insurance, current registration, your ID, running gun serial numbers thru their computers..etc.. Just a crazy feeding frenzy of activity. Chase cars, motorcycle cops are swarming around, ready to run after you if you rabbit the line.

Of course the Police, for the most part would be dealing with Sheep who will comply and bend-over. But I can seriously see how a confrontation could happen if they picked the wrong person or persons to harass. Armed persons.

I ask this question. If it becomes common place for these sort of Police searches just outside the gate at a shooting range, how long will it be before the Police just walk into a shooting range, line up and inspect everyones, ID, gun and range bag?

Once word of this sort of activity got out I can see Shooting Ranges going out of business.

Just my opinion.

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 04-28-2013, 8:41 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmrevolver View Post
I see no point in having something I can't use or be arrested for. I am a law abiding citizen and if the law says I have to then I will. I won't like but the alternative of me getting butt raped in prison is not an option for me.
This or store them with an out of state relative where I plan to retire to.

Here I am.
Old 04-28-2013, 8:47 AM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
I went through this with my RAWS. I wanted them, I refused to sell them, and I wasn't going to keep them 800 miles away. I registered them after much soul searching, so far so good.
I wish I had. It's great to own them. It sucks that they are stored hundreds of miles away in a different state, and I'll probably never shoot them again.
Old 04-28-2013, 9:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philobeddoe View Post
I'm just there to get ammo, gonna need a warrant to search my truck.
If the guns are in plain sight he doesn't need a warrent.
Old 04-28-2013, 2:15 PM

We're getting somewhere with this discussion, first of all, I am sending letters, faxes and email, but we need to stay informed and communicate on what if...which most probably will happen considering the advantage the libs have,
I wanted to get some ideas what you guys are planing to do, each will go with a different scenario, still we're in the same basket...I am not planning to leave CA, no matter what..just keep up the good fight...
by the way how you can register an AK without a bullet button? are we suppose to show the guns upon the registration or just show a bill of sale?
Old 04-28-2013, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK all day View Post
Would it be legal to remove gas systems and have a "bolt action" AR/AK? No registration??

This^^^^^^^

The Second Amendment will always be under attack, because it is the only veto held by the people.
TTAG -Sammy-
Old 04-28-2013, 3:20 PM
Calguns Addict

I tend to agree with Citadel, besides, I have plenty of handguns that already went through the process, it would be no huge secret that I have firearms

Up until the day they actually come and try to confiscate my weapons, why would I want to make myself an instant felon by not doing so...maybe that is what they want, collar more of us for felony bs charges, take away our right to even own a firearm, helps to thin out the herd

As sad as it sounds, until they actually try to break down my door, im going to try and keep as many guns in my legal possession as possible...I still believe that actually coming to peoples homes to try and confiscate their firearms will bring a world of hurt, but, then I also remember Katrina...sigh

I'm surprised that nobody ever pointed this out to Piers Morgan

"We want food, medicine, and one of those cows" - Daryl Dixon TWD
Old 04-28-2013, 5:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid52 View Post
Illegals are the new push to communistusize red states into blue. Revolution will be the only way & a lot of blood will be spilled to turn the blue back to red!
And you'll be the first on the barricades, right, Bucko?

Look. Get started now; why wait? Grab your "Go" bag, get your SHTF ensemble on, and meet us in the middle of the street. RIGHT NOW!

If we're not there, press on, we will catch up.

"And the streets will run RED with the blood YELLOW with the pee of the righteous."
Old 04-28-2013, 7:02 PM
1911 Aficionado
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavelek View Post
are we suppose to show the guns upon the registration or just show a bill of sale?
Fill out a form, and send it in.

As noted above, if you have a registered pistol, they know you have firearms, so there's no logical reason to avoid registration, should that ever happen again.

As far as contact with LE, I have always been a huge proponent of never engaging in consensual contact with LE under any circumstances.

As citizens, we are under no legal obligation to consent to contact with LE, or answer any of their questions, especially questions that may incriminate you. Rare that you might get an actual fact-based response regarding why they initiated contact to begin with.

The bottom line is, if LE is talking to you, make no mistake about it, their intent is to escalate initial contact to consensual contact by asking seemingly harmless questions, develop reasonable suspicion based on your responses, develop PC to detain you, search your person or vehicle, and ultimately, convict you of a crime.

Yes, knowing your rights and being difficult prolongs and complicates contact with LE, but cooperation is never in your best interest.
Old 04-28-2013, 7:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Just to clarify, he said if the cop will ask you do you have guns in your car, you need to say yes if you have them. And then next question is do you have them registered?
Answering no doesn't give them the right to check.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 04-28-2013, 8:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Just came back from the range(no names), had an interesting conversation with one of the rangers ; my question was: if the registration is voted in and I bring my guns will you check? He answered we won't but if cops decide to check they will set up a check point outside the gate and will ask you if you have guns and if they are registered. You need to answer, right?
So if push comes to shove, what will you do ? Just curious.....
Based on recent history regarding gun control, anyone who wants to keep shooting would HAVE to register.

People who object to the practice would be forced to fondle their weapons in the dark of night with the shades drawn.

If gun registration is mandated, its only a matter of time before The Man realizes a great way to track shooters is to document the range visits. That's how the UK enforced their onerous gun restrictions before pulling the plug on the whole shebang in the 1990s- if you wanted to shoot, you had to leave a name and firearm info in a range log. No range log, no range time.

Bringing an unregistered gun to the range, or being caught with one in the woods by a park ranger means Game Over for the owner. Go to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200. Sure, if you never take the gun out of the house you'll likely not get caught , but it's forever condemned to safequeen status.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 04-28-2013, 8:12 PM
1911 Aficionado
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTauron View Post
Based on recent history regarding gun control, anyone who wants to keep shooting would HAVE to register.

People who object to the practice would be forced to fondle their weapons in the dark of night with the shades drawn.

If gun registration is mandated, its only a matter of time before The Man realizes a great way to track shooters is to document the range visits. That's how the UK enforced their onerous gun restrictions before pulling the plug on the whole shebang in the 1990s- if you wanted to shoot, you had to leave a name and firearm info in a range log. No range log, no range time.

Bringing an unregistered gun to the range, or being caught with one in the woods by a park ranger means Game Over for the owner. Go to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200. Sure, if you never take the gun out of the house you'll likely not get caught , but it's forever condemned to safequeen status.
This entire post sums up exactly what non-registered owners would be reduced to.
Old 04-28-2013, 8:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Not really liking the idea of people already discussing the how-to or the why-to of capitulating and acquiescing to registration schemes.

I believe very much in visualization for real-world training, seeing and imagining creates preparation for corporeal application and performance. And I believe acceptance and indoctrination of "oh, it ain't so bad" is often contributory to how many rabid guns bills become law, because such thinking propels apathy.
What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?
Old 04-28-2013, 9:23 PM
Veteran Member

Default Registration.

If a registration law is passed, then I will register because if my guns are contraband, I can't use them.

As far as confiscation, if that day comes, I will move my guns out of state.

Unless you are willing to drop everything in your life, then become a "insurgent" or "terrorist", all this talk about refusing to register is all talk that will create a lot of unneeded legal grief.

90 percent probably won't comply with registration, I won't be one of those and neither will anyone here who plans to be effective.

If registration is something that is so a big deal that you won't comply with the law when it becomes mandatory, then that is all the more reason to be actively involved, to be a leader in your community.

Nicki

Nicki
Old 04-29-2013, 3:31 AM

That's the whole danger with registering something as an "assault weapon." As these laws are typically written, once you die off, the firearm/s must either be turned in, transferred to a LEO, or sold through an FFL to an out of state buyer. By registering, you sign up for what amounts to generational confiscation.

That being said, there's a lot of truth being spoken by those of you who say that an unregistered "assault weapon" is practically useless for either recreation or defense; the former because of the fear of being caught when doing so, and the latter because what DA is going to buy any argument about a defensive use when you admit you used an illegal gun to do so.

It's a no-win situation that we're forced into, and both options grossly infringe upon your natural right to self defense.
Old 04-29-2013, 4:56 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patagonicus View Post
That's the whole danger with registering something as an "assault weapon." As these laws are typically written, once you die off, the firearm/s must either be turned in, transferred to a LEO, or sold through an FFL to an out of state buyer. By registering, you sign up for what amounts to generational confiscation.
I would submit that the moment you register a gun with the state, it becomes property of the same.

My first personal handgun had to be registered with the military since I was active duty at the time. Sure , I paid the money to own it, but if the government wanted to deny me access they could do so by decree at any time.

It is no different with 'civil' gun registration. "Your" guns cease to be yours when The Man is legally empowered to find and seize them at will. Hence the term "buyback" is quite appropriate, because you ceded ownership to the State when the gun was registered all those years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patagonicus View Post
That being said, there's a lot of truth being spoken by those of you who say that an unregistered "assault weapon" is practically useless for either recreation or defense; the former because of the fear of being caught when doing so, and the latter because what DA is going to buy any argument about a defensive use when you admit you used an illegal gun to do so.

For clarity's sake it is wise to mention that one can have a justified self defense incident while using an illegally acquired or possessed weapon. In that event the defender won't go to jail for shooting a home invader dead; the Law doesn't care that you used a gun or an icepick to defend yourself from deadly harm.

Rather, you'll be carted off to prison for violating a gun statute instead. You'll clear the Grand Jury for self defense, only to be hauled off to Lompoc Correctional for owning an undocumented firearm because the cops discovered it incident to the defensive case.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 04-29-2013, 6:50 AM

Those nra videos are terrifying. Nobody seems to care. We face an uphill battle.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:33 PM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

If you register them you can always have that boating accident the weekend before they come to take them away.

Just vote Yes please, not asking for money.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:43 PM

So the real question here is how many will persue non-violent civil disobedience and how many will comply hoping for a better future?

Hmmmmmmmmmm
Old 04-29-2013, 1:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdog1968 View Post
If the law requires them to be registered then that is what I will do.
And when the law is that you turn them in, you will do it as well.
Old 04-29-2013, 1:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Well...Until we draw a line in the sand we will continue to be harassed.

IF/when they come for my firearms, they should bring a lot of body bags too.

I have NO problem shooting ANYONE in defense of my home and posessions.
Old 04-29-2013, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
My apologies. I didn't mean to bust your chops on that. My point is that the vast majority of law enforcement folks on the street are positive, knowledgeable and honest people. We want to be supportive, but we should not be intimidated into talking. Now you have a new tool in your bag; you don't have to speak. Of course, based on backgrounds and exposure, we all respond differently.

And I can get on the same stage without stage fright. But if I'm there for a piano recital, I'm not stepping out, because I've got no tools, or even a tool bag. I'm going to immediately ask, "am I free to go, now?" And get the heck out of there.
Thanks for that. It makes me recognize that I can do the recital because when I walk out I have some plan and a very good idea what I'm going to do (Along with the practice that allows me to do that at will)

Maybe the best course of action to avoid the intimidation is to play the scenario over in my head so that it becomes much less of a "fly by the seat of your pants" affair where I have a tendency to hesitate and feel pressured.

Definitely I agree that the vast vast majority of law enforcement are good people with a hard job to do!
Old 04-29-2013, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Bs. Big talker. I have a state license that I need to earn a living. These are routinely revoked or suspended for things like DUI.

My license is good only here.

I lose that license, I lose my house, and everything else. It sucks here. I don't want to register. But I did last time and if I have to, I will again.

You go ahead and move your weapons out of state, that's real brave, or hide them and never shoot them or even tell anyone you have them, again, very brave.

I doubt that you intend to keep weapons that the state requires registration of and continue shooting and transporting them without registering. If you do, kudos, that can indeed appear to be brave.

You have no business calling someone a sheep over this issue.
Amen Brother!!! Lot's of arm chair Lawyers, and Rambo wanta be's on here. Imagine that, getting called out for saying you would abide by the law... I often feel that I have less in common with my fellow "Brothers in Arms" with every over the top post I read. Sometimes I wonder where the anti's really get the motivation to pass tougher laws from.
Old 04-29-2013, 6:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
And when the law is that you turn them in, you will do it as well.
When things degrade to that point , there won't be any logical reason to keep them.

I hate to be Mr Cynic, but the bottom line is that if/when the American electorate demands to be disarmed , there won't be any point in bearing arms against the law.

For the security of a free state?What good is that ethos when everyone all around wants to live in a Soviet Prison? That's one outcome the Founding Fathers never considered; what happens when the people WANT to be enslaved and consciously repudiate their own freedoms under the law?

For your own security? That's a good reason, as long as one is prepared to spend a long time in prison afterwards. Look at the case of the multiple home invasion victim that was the British citizen Tony Martin, sentenced to a life term in prison for daring to shoot an armed bandit on his property. If America sinks to that low, shooting a criminal with an illegal weapon will get you more jail time then the criminal would have for attacking you to start with. So much for self defense.

For target practice? Can't shoot it off your own property for already established reasons-and if you do shoot it on your own land, better make sure you've got a suppressor and an alibi handy.

Old 04-29-2013, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
And you'll be the first on the barricades, right, Bucko?

Look. Get started now; why wait? Grab your "Go" bag, get your SHTF ensemble on, and meet us in the middle of the street. RIGHT NOW!

If we're not there, press on, we will catch up.

"And the streets will run RED with the blood YELLOW with the pee of the righteous."
Best post yet!!! LMFAO...
Old 05-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I did as well, back then, 2000 for same reasons and suspecting I would stay in CA. But I am fed-up with California on many issues other than the rape of the 2nd Amendment and prodding of law-abiding citizens.

I am done with the unjustified out-of-control taxation to fund politicians' elitism, those that work paying the way of an equal living standard for those that don't, the congestion, crowding, nanny-state laws, CARB, entitlement issues of those that don't lift a finger, and more.

I will not register a single thing this time, if it becomes an issue. I already have the RAW items which is regrettable, and I have plenty that aren't classified by the current Gestapo bill of needing to be registered (hopefully we fight it en masse to prevent it from passing - not giving up yet) and when I retire (which is not too many years away) I fully intend to leave CA - permanently.

Actually, I may do this sooner rather than later, as I've been thinking of a career change anyway. Like you, I am currently married to CA for my long-career which had been a lucrative choice. But when I came to CA more than 20 years ago, things were much different. These last 10-years, California has become a monster in so many ways, I don't even recognize it any more.

Yes, I will pack up and hide my unregistered guns until that time that I leave, living as a silent criminal, which is fine, since I spend most of my time now working with little time to enjoy all my firearms anyway.

But I will have plenty of time to enjoy them in my retirement or after my career change, in Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, or Florida. I am not "running" from CA and its laws; I am moving anyway, guns or no guns, to more open land, an American life-style I can only once foggily remember before the last decade, and a lot less raping.
What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?
Old 05-02-2013, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepamjohn View Post
Amen Brother!!! Lot's of arm chair Lawyers, and Rambo wanta be's on here. Imagine that, getting called out for saying you would abide by the law... I often feel that I have less in common with my fellow "Brothers in Arms" with every over the top post I read. Sometimes I wonder where the anti's really get the motivation to pass tougher laws from.
Reading is fundamental Joe. FWIW I don't care if you decide to register or not...brother.

[CENTER][B]
THE ONLY TRUE CONSERVATIVE IN THE RACE

DONATE www.TEDCRUZ.ORG <--official donation link .ORG
Old 05-02-2013, 2:58 PM

is SB47 going to be law?