Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:28 AM

Default Which Tv provider?

I currently have comcast and will probably be moving in a couple months into a new place.

My comcast bill with internet is around $160 a month.

I was looking at directv and it looks like it would be much cheaper...even if I sign a two year contract and have to pay more on the 2nd year.

I was thinking directv and comcast internet(its pretty fast and $40ish a month).

What do you think? What are you running?
Old 04-27-2013, 11:16 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default DirecTV here

We have DirecTV here for the past 18 years (1995-2013)and have no complaints. Simple tastes: Outdoor channel and local channels are the only extras. Bill is $70/month.

Our Interweb access is through AT&T DSL. I try to keep our monopolies separate.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:57 AM

I have 2 HD boxes, 1 has a DVR. We have the barely upgraded package (2nd worst), nothing special and with internet...I'm getting sick of the $160.
Old 04-29-2013, 7:08 AM
Calguns Addict

I have had FIOS TV for quite a few years, and finally got sick of having to watch one of the 2 MAX programs I could record at the same time.

I went with DirecTV w/ Whole house DVR (Genie) can record 5 programs at once (if one of the mini's in the other rooms is not using one of those 5 channels) and 3 additional Genie Mini's. DVR Rental=$14.xy/mo (VZ 2 Tuner upgraded DVR=19.99/mo), Mini Rental=$6/mo (HD, AND SD STBs) which is better than Verizon's HD STB fee (9.99/mo). With Verizon FIOS TV, you can NEVER buy the boxes, I don't know why I would buy the boxes, but it is an option...

I also went with DirecTV over Dish because all the channels we watch (maybe like 12) are on THEIR cheapest package.

Last edited by the86d; 04-29-2013 at 7:59 AM..
Old 04-29-2013, 11:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Thanks to Casual Shooter, this really is kinda fun (was Los Gatos Mountains) ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
I went with DirecTV w/ Whole house DVR (Genie) can record 5 programs at once (if one of the mini's in the other rooms is not using one of those 5 channels) and 3 additional Genie Mini's.
I'm currently DirecTV, non-HD. Dual LNB into a multiplexer and coax runs into a couple of rooms. I'm considering the Genie upgrade - do you know if that affects the cabling or the dish at all?
CalGuns Network (CGN) is different from CalGuns Foundation (CGF). Both need our support. I have gold name because I support CGN; plus, I send $10 every two weeks to CGF automatically via online BillPay as described here.

Support CGF by shopping at Amazon!
Old 04-30-2013, 7:33 AM
Banned

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

End user group threatened to sue me for having an h-card programmer and they demanded $3500 + said programmer to halt action or 4k and I could keep the card programmer. When I ever make it to their office, I will superglue their locks just because...

I told them where to stick it and mentioned malicious prosecution and have not heard jack from them.

I will NEVER pay for dish/satellite. Cable tv totally blows, charter does anyways when I go next door and watch things like the super bowl and all. About once or twice every few minutes there is artifacting and a little blurb that jacks the screen. Their way of antipiracy?

Looks like CRAP so Charter is off the books as far as I am concerned. The only other thing left is internet and at&T for me but I have no job so digital tv works GREAT for me because I do NOT need more encouragement to sit on my arse and watch tv when I can be doing things around the house or what not. Worse case I also have TWO WD live hubs, I can always d/l things from the newsgroups and put them on the hub and watch it that way. It plays blur-ray and mkv and mov and all kinds of cool things...