Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 04-27-2013, 9:13 AM

Default Boston Bombers Shootout - Would you take the shot?

If you had the opportunity to stop the Boston bombing suspects engaged in a shootout outside your home's window, would you take the shot? Look at the information here and let me know what you think...

http://texasgopvote.com/issues/resto...ke-shot-005397
bprice@bluewonder.us
Old 04-27-2013, 9:27 AM

uhh, one and done...

i wouldnt have gone for a kill shot, just enought to prevent him from injuring people
Old 04-27-2013, 9:41 AM

No. Plain and simple. Doing so would not only risk my and my families well being, but would also put others in the line of danger as well. If the suspect was a clear and immediate danger to me or my family in my home, I would drop him as fast as I could pull the trigger. But since the suspect was involved in a shootout with LE, it becomes their responsibility to resolve the conflict. Add into that the factor that they would likely start engaging any civilian who fires a shot with me either being arrested or killed. NO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Gunman View Post
Can I cosine it? Sorry to go off on a tangent...
Quote:
Religion & Govt. will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together. James Madison
Old 04-27-2013, 9:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Looks like an easy shot...............problem, the cops see you as one of the bad guys and unload. You are now a dead hero.
Old 04-27-2013, 9:48 AM
Veteran Member

Suspect in active shoot out with law enforcement outside your window.

WTF are you doing looking out your window?

I'm gathering up my wife and kids, and getting as far away from that end of the house as possible. Side arm? Yes, but moving away from danger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Gunman View Post
They want to be rulers. Well I don't effing want to be ruled, I want to be represented.
Old 04-27-2013, 9:52 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Not unless there was an immediate threat to me or my family. LE sees additional shots fired, next they fire on you. As previously state before, "Dead hero."

Front Sight Commander Member www.frontsight.com
NRA Benefactor Life Member www.nra.org
CRPA Life Member www.crpa.org
Old 04-27-2013, 9:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loubot10 View Post

I'm gathering up my wife and kids, and getting as far away from that end of the house as possible. Side arm? Yes, but moving away from danger.
x1k

I'm grabbing my wife and two firearms and putting at least three walls between us and the firefight with the more powerful of the two firearms trained on the door.

No way in hell am I poking my head out with an active firefight and bombs going off, let along taking shots lest the LEO's confuse my fire as hostile.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:30 AM

everyones situation is different. i don't have wife and kids, my read on the right to self defense is "imminent threat to my life or others" (not just family) , i would have a round racked in at the sound of the first shot, it would not have even occured to me that the officer may shoot at me in this situation and not backing up someone sworn to defend the constitution in this situation is more shameful than i could bear. the real tipping point here is "identification". i watched that young mans skype report at 1:15 on that morning and he identified the pressure cooker bomb and explosions, if in doubt... no i wouldn't shoot. "change" get used to it.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:51 AM

It's easy to be a hero on the internet. Real life is a little different.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:03 PM

sure.. if you want the cops shooting you because they think you are trying to shoot at them...
Old 04-27-2013, 12:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by REH View Post
Looks like an easy shot...............problem, the cops see you as one of the bad guys and unload. You are now a dead hero.
Call 911 first and tell them you have a clean shot and to notify officers on scene of your location and that you are going to take the shot. Problem solved.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 04-27-2013, 12:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Not a chance. Undercover LEO's that arrive on a scene have to go to great lengths not to get themselves killed. No way am I as Joe Citizen going to insert myself into a gunbattle in that scenario.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneAvgWhiteGuy View Post
yeah, i was expecting that. thing is i don't expect the op was after some kind consensus and i'm probably more of an a..hole than a hero anyway. supporting leo's in danger of being killed is at the core of this question and lately i have been leaning more towards a "we are all in this together" point of view. again my qualifiers of "this situation" and "identification" are critical. meaning two suspects with bombs two days after a bombing with two suspects at large and firing on leo's ,unaware of you and an easy shot. i don't think it's "beating my chest" to say i would have done what i could. you? when i watched his skype live and became aware that he had first posted the action on facebook my first thought was "what in the h..l kind of men do they raise in boston".
Old 04-27-2013, 12:40 PM
Calguns Addict

no, and, the only reason I typed more than "no" because it wouldn't let me just post NO

"We want food, medicine, and one of those cows" - Daryl Dixon TWD
Old 04-27-2013, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, but after saving the cops and being killed by them after thinking your a bad guy would be a NO. If the gun fight lasted long enough and I was on the phone with 911 operator and have the approval to engage and knowing after engaging the 911 operator will let the cops know a civilian took the shot and saved their arse and he is at this address, wearing this colored shirt/pants and will be coming out with his hands up etc. Then maybe, but I doubt the gun fight would last over 1-2 minutes.
Old 04-27-2013, 1:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Of course.

The only question would be if I stop to get the carbine or just take the pistol to the window to see what was going on.

What the linked article fails to mention is that the person taking the pics was on the third floor of a building across the street from the shooters. In that situation, the chance that an LE combatant down the street would shoot me before I could put the shooters down is purt near microscopic. I imagine I'd then shout something like "Two down behind the black SUV!", then set the gun down, pick up a magazine (the readin' kind), and wait for the knock on the door during the police follow-up canvas of the area. Mebbe call dispatch at that point.

Yes, I understand that there's a good chance that I'd be arrested and maybe end up convicted of whatever an over-zealous DA could think up, and maybe losing my right to own firearms. I'm more concerned about doing the right thing than being politically correct, even if it means I might get hurt as a result.

I freely admit that I probably wouldn't do anything similar if I had a wife and kids to support, but it's just me, and if The State punishes me for doing what I think is necessary to save lives, then I'll take my lumps.

I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and violence
I would advise violence. - M. Gandhi
You're my kind of stupid. - M. Reynolds
Old 04-27-2013, 1:48 PM
In Memoriam

I think this one will win dumb thread of the year, and we have months to go.
Old 04-27-2013, 2:08 PM

It would be a huge risk. If you shoot and miss, you'll draw fire from the perps. Now you're in a gun fight with 2 aholes that don't give a s@$t about anyone. You're shooting from a 2nd story window with minimal protection. Secondly you'll likely draw fire from LEO and your house will get shot up. If you kill one of the bombers or not, you'll be in a boatload legal issues once the smoke clears.
Old 04-27-2013, 2:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Given the way things are these days you're probably better off shooting yourself than the perps in that circumstance.

Government Official Lies
. F r e e d o m . D i e s .
Old 04-27-2013, 2:23 PM

If everything worked out perfect (I'm alone, clear shot, proper weapons system, LEO's are nowhere near me/my line of fire, good background, blah blah blah) yes. Anyone contemplating such a scenario should think long and hard about the possibility of friendly fire and the potential lawsuit that may come afterwards.

But I second those opinions already posted questioning why someone is observing a firefight from a window without any kind of ballistic protection. I have been to several calls for service where nosy nelley's have taken bullet/shrapnel wounds because they wanted to see what was going on during a gang shootout.

*edit* Basically, here is my thought process on this: When anyone is with family/friends; their first priority is the safety of those they are with. Will I risk my life in certain situations for people I don't know? Absolutely. However, I will not perform those actions if they require I place those I love at risk of serious harm/death because I chose to play hero to someone else instead of them. In this scenario we are discussing, law enforcement is already on scene. Law enforcement officers are already dealing with the suspects. That is their job, something they volunteered to do. Your family/friends didn't volunteer to suddenly be in the middle of a firefight which may now be targeting your house (possibly with explosives in this case!) because you decided to start popping of rounds without making sure they are safe.

Last edited by CBR_rider; 04-27-2013 at 2:43 PM..
Old 04-27-2013, 3:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOrange View Post
Yes, I understand that there's a good chance that I'd be arrested and maybe end up convicted of whatever an over-zealous DA could think up
No jury would convict and the DA would know this. In fact it would be a poor political choice to charge you in this circumstance.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 04-27-2013, 4:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
No jury would convict and the DA would know this. In fact it would be a poor political choice to charge you in this circumstance.
This. Now, if you did took the shot and it turned out to be an innocent guy you are going to get reemed up the rear end.

Only the police are allowed to shoot at innocent civilians and get away scott free while leaving the tax payers to pick up the tab.
Old 04-27-2013, 4:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REH View Post
Not quite..

have you seen cops shoot.

You have atleast a 95% chance that they will miss.
George Patton
Old 04-27-2013, 7:52 PM

No. And if this was California, you lose your gun rights, get charge with murder, etc... And they would make new gun laws because of your stupid ***.
Old 04-27-2013, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneAvgWhiteGuy View Post
Agree 100%. But if it were possible to engage these bastards and not confuse/distract the LEOs, I would try my darndest to send these two to hell. Sometimes evil succeeds because the good guys didn't want to muddy the waters.

If it were an active firefight with responding officers, I would keep my head low and focus on keeping everybody around me safe.
Old 04-27-2013, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_gman View Post
No. Plain and simple. Doing so would not only risk my and my families well being, but would also put others in the line of danger as well. If the suspect was a clear and immediate danger to me or my family in my home, I would drop him as fast as I could pull the trigger. But since the suspect was involved in a shootout with LE, it becomes their responsibility to resolve the conflict. Add into that the factor that they would likely start engaging any civilian who fires a shot with me either being arrested or killed. NO.
+1 - I'm with this guy!
Old 04-27-2013, 9:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I might.... no wife, no kids... etc..

Use an ar15 to take them out, win some positive press for the black rifles...

Not a pragmatic move, but it depends on how it all plays out
Old 04-28-2013, 8:57 AM

No, but only because I don't have any ammo right now.
Bersa Thunder, Browning Buckmark Camper, Charles Daly 1911, Charter Arms Buldog Pug, Chinese SKS, Colt Double Eagle MK II Series 90 10mm, Egyptian Hakim 8mm, Heckler & Koch P2000SK, Kimber Eclipse Ultra II, Mossberg 500A Cruiser, Mossberg New Haven 600AT, Romanian M69 Trainer, Rossi Ranch Hand .44 Mag, Savage Arms Model 73, Smith & Wesson 1006 10mm, Smith & Wesson Sigma .40, Springfield Armory XD-40, Walther P1, Wyoming Arms Parker 10mm, Yugoslavian K98
Old 04-28-2013, 9:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Many people have shot the bad guy to protect a cop. Just one example is http://gunssavelives.net/self-defens...with-a-pistol/

I've seen another video that shows the non-LEO shooting the bad guy that was actively engaged in a firefight with a cop.

Everyone has their reasons for shooting or not shooting and I don't fault those that say they'd shoot or not.

What was your Prep Today? What did you do Today to Stand and Fight for your 2A Right?

Post what you did today here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1151676
Old 04-28-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loubot10 View Post

^ This. If it's one Officer and he is having his a** handed to him, then I help him out without thinking twice. A major shoot out going on, no way. I can't believe people would even consider something like this.
Old 04-28-2013, 2:26 PM

No. If this were a different time and a different place, then maybe yes but not here and now. Law enforcement is not my friend any more than the rest of the government or the terrorists or the common criminals or the financial institutions.

My freedom and my ability to keep a job, roof over my head, retirement savings growing and provide for my family is more important than saving the life of someone who'd just as soon arrest me for violating an unconstitutional law.
Old 04-28-2013, 2:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoe View Post
Many people have shot the bad guy to protect a cop. Just one example is http://gunssavelives.net/self-defens...with-a-pistol/

I've seen another video that shows the non-LEO shooting the bad guy that was actively engaged in a firefight with a cop.

Everyone has their reasons for shooting or not shooting and I don't fault those that say they'd shoot or not.

Yes there are times when it has happened, though very very rare. It's good to do the thought exercise. I say if the situation requires it, certainly if its clear cops are going down, and I can stop it. I'm not going to let someone put more cops down if... IF... I can make the shot with high confidence. Many of us certainly possess the tool and enough skills to do so. I'm not going to go nuts blazing at some running target down the street though.

Many cops have our backs on gun rights right now, if their leadership sucks that's another matter. I won't let them down IF.. if it's clear I can stop a cop from being shot.

Do what you gotta do to look yourself in the mirror I guess is what I am saying.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 04-28-2013, 3:26 PM
Village idiot
CGN Contributor

If this were a different time maybe. But right now in this day and age, display of"gun" means, I am probably going to get mowed down by LEO. Sorry, but right now they are just a little too trigger happy.

Plus, too many unknowns, what if the person I have in my sights is an undercover or off duty LEO. LEO has the advantage of communication with each other and a little less "fog of war". I dont' want to be the one playing hero, and then accidentally shooting the wrong person.

I do agree with the person before, if it is clear a LEO is getting beat down, then yes I would hlep.
Old 04-28-2013, 3:39 PM

If they entered my home? Yes. Otherwise no. It was at night, a mere muzzle flash from a second story home and LEs would unload all they got on you since they don't know if your a bad guy as well. So would you be willing to die for playing the hero? I mean it was two little puny kids, LE were more than capable of handling it. It's not like they had full automatic AK47s and RPGs and such. So I would have just bunkered down with a weapon in case they entered my home.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:46 PM

Yeah, shoot the guy and you just eliminated all clues/leads that LEO are looking for.

Not to mention, you have "no reason" to shoot him. How are you suppose to describe your "self defense" reasoning? Did he have the ability to harm you? Did he have the opportunity to harm you? Were you jeopardized by any imminent danger?

All gun owners need to seriously think about how and when to use their firearm appropriately in self defense. Key word: self defense. Life aint Modern Warfare. Take that shot and you are gonna be in the biggest *crap* hole in your life.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uxo2 View Post
Not quite..

have you seen cops shoot.

You have atleast a 95% chance that they will miss.
Funny guy.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2013, 11:51 PM

Use a Mosin.
The MSM would cry about high caliber Soviet sniper rifles being sold through the mail for $90.

Don't know if it would be worth it though, you will have plenty of time to think about that in prison.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Stunna Lot View Post
......Not to mention, you have "no reason" to shoot him.........

Yes you do.

I don't play those video games you mention.

My buddy's a cop, I wouldn't let him get shot if I had
the clear advantage to put down someone trying to kill him.

When we were kids together, we saw one police car after another
hauling ***, even cops in the back seats. Somebody went nuts
on a classmate of ours for cutting his hedge. We rode our bikes
to see what was happening. He shot the cops
that came, they bled out and died because he kept
the rescuers at bay.

http://camemorial.org/1981-1990/ebeltoft.php

Again, I don't play those combat games. Tomb Raider is fun though.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Last edited by CessnaDriver; 04-29-2013 at 12:11 AM..
Old 04-29-2013, 12:53 AM
CGSSA Coordinator

To defend myself and my family... wouldn't think twice. Anyone... I really mean it ANYONE, endanger my family. Doesn't matter who comes "a-knockin".

Auto-Ordnance 1911-A1 .45 ACP
Česká Zbrojovka CZ-75 SP-01 Tactical 9mm
Heckler & Koch VP9 9mm
Kimber 1911 "Raptor II" .45 ACP
Remington 870 Tactical Express 12gauge
Sig Sauer P226 MK25 Navy 9mm
Springfield Armory 1911 "MC Operator" .45 ACP
Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm
Old 04-29-2013, 1:41 AM

Nope... I'd just prefer for no one to know that I even own a gun - let alone being proficient in its use.