Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 04-26-2013, 9:11 PM

Default Understanding if and when this guy broke the law if in California

I'm struggling with understanding something...
On this video: HOW TO STOP A MASSACRE

If this were to have happened in California, at what stage does the guy with the CCW break the law, if any?
Old 04-26-2013, 10:37 PM
short bus driver

IMO...
Only one action was questionable, but beyond that everything else would have been legal under CA laws.

The questionable action...
The last shot, out the door at the two suspects running away.

Depending on which CA LE agency and/or DA's Office is investigating the shooting would determine if any charges would result in that questionable action.

I know of a few CA LEOs and ADAs, in the IE, that would let it slide with no charges and give the CCW holder an attaboy.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 04-26-2013, 11:02 PM
Calguns Addict

I remember when that first happened

You're talking a slippery slope as far as when he might have broken a California law

To some, firing at the suspects while they were fleeing could've been a problem for him, while, others could content that the threat of them turning and firing on him still existed

Just because they are heading toward a door, doesn't mean they couldn't turn and fire

The fact that he didn't hit either of the suspects as they exited the door makes it somewhat moot...had he hit a suspect, now it gets cloudy whether or not lives were still in danger...of course, this didn't get much media when it happened, showing the advantages of armed citizens doesn't sit well with the mainstream

"We want food, medicine, and one of those cows" - Daryl Dixon TWD
Old 04-27-2013, 1:29 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Fearless old timer with balls of steel. Horrifically bad tactics, lucky the bad guys got spooked and retreated, but fearless and generally awesome response to these scumbags.
Old 04-27-2013, 8:15 AM

Yeah - I was most curious about shooting when they ran. I was pretty confident that last shot was a bad idea. My best practice understanding is to stop shooting when they stop being a threat, but that doesn't specifically mean what the law says.
Old 04-27-2013, 8:39 AM

I think that shooting at them when they were fleeing sets you up for potential charges. It also has the potential to hit bystanders.
Bersa Thunder, Browning Buckmark Camper, Charles Daly 1911, Charter Arms Buldog Pug, Chinese SKS, Colt Double Eagle MK II Series 90 10mm, Egyptian Hakim 8mm, Heckler & Koch P2000SK, Kimber Eclipse Ultra II, Mossberg 500A Cruiser, Mossberg New Haven 600AT, Romanian M69 Trainer, Rossi Ranch Hand .44 Mag, Savage Arms Model 73, Smith & Wesson 1006 10mm, Smith & Wesson Sigma .40, Springfield Armory XD-40, Walther P1, Wyoming Arms Parker 10mm, Yugoslavian K98
Old 04-27-2013, 2:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Not a massacre, an armed robbery. While it certainly had the potential to devolve into one of those herd everybody in the back and execute them routines, it's disingenuous to call this a massacre attempt.

If it were indeed a mass mall/school type shooting, then I'd say the need to stop the very dangerous perpetrator would over-ride normal protocols and justify a shot in the back of a fleeing felon. Not here.

When this first came out, the main thing I noticed was how gramps managed to miss his man at just past arm's length. Dude needs a laser!

I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and violence
I would advise violence. - M. Gandhi
You're my kind of stupid. - M. Reynolds
Old 04-27-2013, 11:09 PM
Calguns Addict

It isn't a laser he needs, it's training. With his obvious lack of trigger control...it looked like he was trying to throw the bullets at them...a laser wouldn't have helped.

The two good things about this is that he was willing to take action and that he was aware of what was behind his targets...as it was likely in greater danger than the BGs
Old 04-27-2013, 11:13 PM

When it's your life on the line who cares about breaking the law. This is the judgement you would have to use.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:45 PM
Calguns Addict

I agree on a couple of things, they were retreating, the threat was over, time to stand down. His lack of training was evident in the way he fired his weapon to his lack of control. Having said that, being 59 years old, when an emergency arises, with some older men or women a fatherly or motherly instinct takes over, the adrenaline rush which most people can't control causes us to act first and think later.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Samuel Adams
Old 04-28-2013, 6:04 AM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedrek View Post
I think that shooting at them when they were fleeing sets you up for potential charges.
True, but the outcome will depend on the charges and the jury.
Old 04-28-2013, 2:30 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthomas View Post
I agree on a couple of things, they were retreating, the threat was over, time to stand down. His lack of training was evident in the way he fired his weapon to his lack of control. Having said that, being 59 years old, when an emergency arises, with some older men or women a fatherly or motherly instinct takes over, the adrenaline rush which most people can't control causes us to act first and think later.
While we can all agree that his weapon presentation/marksmanship/tactics left a lot to be desired, it should be recognized above all else that he decided to fight back and engage his enemy when everyone else was cowering like sheep.
Old 04-28-2013, 2:31 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthomas View Post
While we can all agree that his weapon presentation/marksmanship/tactics left a lot to be desired, it should be recognized above all else that he decided to fight back and engage his enemy when everyone else was cowering like sheep.

Often audacity and surprise will make up for skill, as seen here.
Old 04-28-2013, 2:52 PM

First it is easy to arm chair quarterback.
Second I question the lack of muzzle flash or recoil on the out the door and shot.
After looking at the youtube non-edited he had muzzle flash on his 3rd round shot but no others. keep in mind he could have not fired and just jerked it back himself without firing. Not that, that would be a way to use a weapon, but he is clearly barely competent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwrgvqlc8DA
Old 04-28-2013, 2:55 PM

Stay away from internet cafes!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNp2u...1&feature=fvwp
Old 04-28-2013, 6:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post

Often audacity and surprise will make up for skill, as seen here.
The OP's question was what he did wrong. I pointed it out. I didn't put him down or demean his intentions. The fact is, he possibly saved lives.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Samuel Adams