Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 04-26-2013, 7:54 PM

Default Camera with High speed video

Looking for a nice camera similar to the Casio ex f1. I want to shoot some high speed video action of my rifles and pistols. I would also like it to be suitable for some nice picture taking as well. The Casio does I think 200, 400, an 1000 fps.

Anyone know what I'm looking for?
Old 04-27-2013, 12:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyid1 View Post
Looking for a nice camera similar to the Casio ex f1. I want to shoot some high speed video action of my rifles and pistols. I would also like it to be suitable for some nice picture taking as well. The Casio does I think 200, 400, an 1000 fps.

Anyone know what I'm looking for?
I have a Casio Exilm and it shoots the highspeed. I do 240 FPS when I shoot my AK pistol for funtion. It looks like this:

*** EDITED FOR NEW VIDEO MATERIAL***

http://www.stillyvision.com/files/guns/aktest01.mov <=== 25MB file...

Here is the problem. The FASTER you shoot the smaller the video has to be. For most shots shooting at 120 or 240 is plenty big but when you shoot at 480 fps it makes a REALLY small video.

The last time I checked they had a better camera that they released that did a little better resolution but it was around $400 and I THINK it came out between may-june of 2012. I have not looked lately because I got the exilm that came out around DEC or so of 2011 or whatever it was.

There is one website that is dedicated to HIGH SPEED cameras but they told me that you NEED A LOT OF LIGHT. so even if it is a day shoot, you best bring a spotlight if you want to shoot like 10k fps or whatever, also, those cameras are around $10k or more unless you rent one in which case it is like $1700 or something for a week or weekend. My numbers are WAY off by now but I know they are expensive. Hope this helps and good luck.

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

Author of the NY Times Best Selling book: How to Cheat and Win Like a Pro at Solitaire

Last edited by stilly; 04-30-2013 at 1:31 AM..
Old 04-27-2013, 7:40 PM
Calguns Addict

There is nothing as good as that older Casio. I have a Panasonic ZS19 and it does something like 250 fps but the quality isnt very good. I looked for that Casio and some golf company bought them all up and sold them to their customers for practicing golf swings.
Old 04-27-2013, 9:01 PM

I also want to record high speed video of my guns in action but did not know what to get. Anyone have a opinion on the Nikon 1 J2? It will do 640 x 240/400 fps and 320 x 120/1200 fps but cost about $430. Youtube videos looked ok I guess. I may get it if I decide not the get a S&W 500 revolver.
Old 04-28-2013, 1:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezfoo View Post
There is nothing as good as that older Casio. I have a Panasonic ZS19 and it does something like 250 fps but the quality isnt very good. I looked for that Casio and some golf company bought them all up and sold them to their customers for practicing golf swings.
What older model are you referring to?

They seem to be getting better but Once they come out with a 480 fps @ 640x480 then that will be nice to use. Prolly will cost around $500 too.

Author of the NY Times Best Selling book: How to Cheat and Win Like a Pro at Solitaire
Old 04-29-2013, 8:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
What older model are you referring to?

They seem to be getting better but Once they come out with a 480 fps @ 640x480 then that will be nice to use. Prolly will cost around $500 too.
If I remember it was the FH100 or Z100... something like that. It was better because it allowed for exposure control while using the high speed video. The newer cameras don't seem to allow that. At least thats what people were complaining about at the time.

I must say the ZR1000 looks pretty cool though...

edit: I think the good high speed camera model was the ZS10 or ZR10. My friend had one. I'll have to ask him.

Last edited by ibanezfoo; 04-29-2013 at 1:48 PM..
Old 04-29-2013, 9:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey8you View Post
I also want to record high speed video of my guns in action but did not know what to get. Anyone have a opinion on the Nikon 1 J2? It will do 640 x 240/400 fps and 320 x 120/1200 fps but cost about $430. Youtube videos looked ok I guess. I may get it if I decide not the get a S&W 500 revolver.
320 x 120 is pure crap.

I was hoping that my 320x240 or whatever it was would look cool but the truth is that the video is so small it cancels out how fast it can shoot. (you are watching a thumbnail at that point...)

As far as I am concerned, do not go too far below 640x480. Really try not to dip below 720x480 (NTSC) cause at least THAT can be played on a tv set (older) but to go smaller really tends to jack up the video. I looked at one of my 240fps videos and it was distorted since it was so small and I wanted to view it bigger on the screen.

These guys prolly have the best prices for what we are looking for:
http://www.photron.com/

These guys I have not checked with yet:
http://www.visionresearch.com/

Old 04-29-2013, 1:45 PM
Calguns Addict

The Panasonic ZS30 does 240fps at 640x480... Dunno how good it is though.
Old 04-30-2013, 1:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezfoo View Post
The Panasonic ZS30 does 240fps at 640x480... Dunno how good it is though.
THAT is a decent number. NOT gonna look the greatest on TV but it is certainly better than the 512x360 or whatever the casio exilim does.

IF that camera is priced around $350 or less it could be a very good purchase for a starter.

240fps at 640x480 is decent for the money. It aint full screen old school tv worthy but on a computer screen it aint too bad.

BUT for the price it is a decent buy and can give you some great videos of slow-mo pellets tagging bunnies/cats/squirrels/birds/racoons/whatever else is on the varmint list...

Old 05-01-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
320 x 120 is pure crap.

I was hoping that my 320x240 or whatever it was would look cool but the truth is that the video is so small it cancels out how fast it can shoot. (you are watching a thumbnail at that point...)

As far as I am concerned, do not go too far below 640x480. Really try not to dip below 720x480 (NTSC) cause at least THAT can be played on a tv set (older) but to go smaller really tends to jack up the video. I looked at one of my 240fps videos and it was distorted since it was so small and I wanted to view it bigger on the screen.

These guys prolly have the best prices for what we are looking for:
http://www.photron.com/

These guys I have not checked with yet:
http://www.visionresearch.com/

I bought that camera anyways since I know I could return it. 640 x 240 is fine for my needs and it looks fine. 320 x 120 is very much crap.
Old 05-02-2013, 2:42 AM
Calguns Addict

640x480 USED to be a decent screen for a CRT, course that means it was about 2/3 of the screen. Now though 640x480 still aint TOO bad.

I dunno bout 640x240, that seems, rather narrowly wide.