Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > Strike Industries / JTech Gear-REMOVED-
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 1:22 PM

Default Review about Fat Comp and Barrel Extension

This is a very honest review from one of our customers. It's a great snap shot of what customers think of our products and our company. Feedback like this is always welcome.

"Customizing your rifle with eyebrow-raising parts from Strike Industries. Julian Honore

As with any materials shortage, draught, or major market shift, consumers eventually stop lamenting and start adapting. If shooting is a regular fixture in your life, or if you know anything about firearms, it’s probably occurred to you by now that there are really only a handful of things left for the average shooter on an budget to do: tasking a long, hard inventory of what you own, and deciding what is worth of making into a project. Upgrades, maintenance, maybe some buying and trading to get you what you really want but mot likely not.
If you’re one of the lucky few who got your collection together before this change in the industry hit - for the sake of this review let’s say a rifle and a handgun – then there are few options left to you. Drooling over ShotShow images doesn’t help. And if you have the ideal AR and 1911, you don’t want to give them up just to get half the price of what you want to buy that’s new. Like me, you’ve probably decided to do the only thing left for you to do in these times: really make your firearms yours. This is where custom parts and accessory companies like Strike Industries come in.
While Magul makes a lot of tried and true furniture for rifles, they don’t pay much attention to handguns, nor do they stray from a very basic core line-up of accessories.
I’ve said it before, but SI picks up where Magpul and other aftermarket parts makers leave off: daring design, great materials, and comes across as a loyalty to innovative thinking. SI does not have a “theory-based” product line up. I would suggest that most of their products are edgy and brazen enough to all qualify as “experimental.” Without having to say so. Now that you’re married to your AR and your handgun, you can explore the wealth of SI’s products – some for looks, most are purpose-driven.
If you’ve visited the site before,, the first thing you’ll notice is that there are already a ton of new products available, all of them seeming to serve a meaningful product, and all of them adhering to a certain cool-factor that makes other after-market parts makers seem…square. So, how to navigate this wealth of new items that almost seem to have multiplied overnight? The first product I would point you towards is SI’s answer to Magpul’s Angled Foregrip, the Cobra grip. I think of this as the flagship product for any serious rifle parts-maker.
Interestingly enough, I don’t think your average shooter knows what its supposed to do in the first place. They just know it looks cool, and everybody’s doing it. So lets clarify what why you would go with a triangular piece of polymer instead of traditional steel pole: handled correctly, an angled foregrip give the shooter more precise control, and if used correctly, it will generally encourage the shooter to get into the proper posture, with the rifle tucked in firmly into the shoulder, your body “wrapped” around the gun, absorbing recoil, shrinking your silhouette, enabling him to swivel quickly, and just generally loosen and tighten your hold on the rifle for different situations, this is the general idea, as opposed to a traditional grip, which seems increasingly primitive when you realize it’s a pivot point and not much more. A lot of real life operators will wrap their hands around their rail to articulate their rifle in ways a metal stick doesn’t allow for.
So now that the world has accepted this style of grip, whether they know why or not, lets look at Strike Industries Cobra grip. Its more compact. It serves all of the purposes of the AFG with a much smaller profile (you might not even notice it tucked under the quad rail of your rifle), and it obeys a sort of semi-abstract sensibility, while remaining sternly tactical. In other words – its cool.
Another product which I personally could not keep myself from buying it’s the barrel extension, and that’s for a couple of reasons. First, my 556 has a very narrow barrel. While its as sturdy as any other barrel, sometimes I just feel that its exposed, and someday I will swing it around, whack it against something, and bend or damage it. So, not knowing exactly how this extension would look, I did an experiment and bough two sizes, the 16” Carbine Dummy Suppressor, and the 16” mid-length Dummy Suppressor. I wanted to make sure that the extender would swallow up my barrel, giving it a more substantial look, rather than simply screwing on the end of it like Gemtech or other “for-looks” suppressor. What it breaks down to is, if your rifles barrel is 16” long, then these will fit. One is shorter than the other – significantly shorter, but they both have the fantastic feature of fitting just about any barrel with a removable flash hider or other stock muzzle part, and allow you to implement any of SI’s amazing line up muzzle breaks, or what they call “FAT Comps”. These are not dummy parts. Each one has a unique design, and a unique signature when firing. I personally chose Model#: FC-04 – or “Fat Comp 4. It has a triangular look to it head on, and generally speaking is just slightly conceptual looking, while still being completely functional (while easing your mind a bit about buying a “dummy” part). Once the extension and the comp come together it’s a very satisfying feeling. Your rifle suddenly takes on a whole new look, and that look is highly tactical, and pretty serious. It may not be a functional silencer, but the weight of the setup, and the fire-burst shape are going to be noticeable. The over-all weight of the comp and barrel are going to keep muzzle jump way down, but it is a noticeable weight difference. Paired with the Cobra grip, the whole front end of your rifle is now something that will help keep the nagging sensation that you’re missing out on the next generation of AR’s.
I also highly recommend these parts for .22LRs, especially since 1) .22s are one of the last areas of the market that is not impregnable, 2) the money you save on a .22 can go to customization, and 3) You might be more willing to experiment with your .22 that your precious, perfectly balanced AR (though personally, I love the way my Sig 556 SWAT looks with these new parts). In the end, I left one barrel extension on my .22LR and painted it to match the dessert colored Cobra Grip. I might add, once cleaned, the dummy barrel took the paint as easily as a real duracoat and was done within a couple of hours with drying time. Part of the reason for the weight of Strike’s steel parts is that the steel is high quality, usually _______gauge, with a nice bead blasted feel and surface that will take any paint you want to use if that’s your thing.
As you start to read deeper and deeper into Strike’s inventory and really consider what they can do for shooters - practically and aesthetically, (very aesthetically) you realize that this is a fast-growing company that’s sitting down on a regular basis with seasoned shooters, designers, and fabricators, and coming up with parts that, now more than ever, will serve the fun-starved consumer. The same consumer who might now be able top buy that great new rifle or participate in all of the interesting technologies that continue to roll out even as the guns don’t. Design-wise, Strike Industries is what I would call daring. And yet, theres nothing they make that doesn’t make sense. And there are an increasing number of products coming out that fulfill the needs you have overlooked for a long time (Take a look at the new shock buffers available for a whole list of handguns), and some that just simply make your rifle look brand new (Handguards, and aforementioned barrel parts). I don’t think any of these products would be feasible if they spared even a hair on quality, and they do not. Whether we’re looking at a Polymer part, or a steel part, the quality is immediately noticeable to the eye, and to the touch. As for their 1911 grips (a review for another day) you encounter materials not quite like anything else out there.
So if you’re in the same place as me, and most shooters out there – lacking 4k for a new rifle, and proud of what you already have, but twiddling your thumbs wanting to do something to better your shooting experience with every shot going up like gasoline…at some point you have to take the leap nd ask yourself, how many Magpul AFGs can you buy before you wonder what else is out there? I submit to you that Strike Industries is a major contender in training. Strike has their Identity down. They know they are a bit on the dark side. Some of the designs are edgy, mean, and slick, if you will. Yet when making parts of necessity, they can be compact, of higher quality, and more practicality than the leading contender. All in all, Si is light on their feet, and somehow, they seem to be delivering entirely new series of products as frequently as most other companies publish news letters.
SI barrel Extender
Pros: High-grade steel. Perfectly machined. Versatile enough for light to heavy barrels. Allows for fitment of any of SI’s incredibly unique muzzle brakes.
Cons: A bit on the heavy side in comparison to other dummy suppressors (this can be a Pro in terms of stability and muzzle jump). Takes a little bit of research to make sure you get the right one, but generally universally sized so hard to go wrong.
SI Cobra Tactical Foregrip
Pros: While completely innovative in appearance, wastes no space. Could almost be called minimal If not for its great looks. Subtly tucks neatly under any quad rail. Subjectively, has a more intuitive feel than leading competitor’s AFG.
Cons: As with all of SI’s products that I like, my chief, and only complaint is that I wish they were produced in the full range of tactical colors. When they do, I hope those colors are as atypical as their designs (will we see shades of tactical grey, arctic white, etc?)"

Contact us at info@strikeindustries.com

Now available through Cheaper Than Dirt, OC Armory, Rifle Gear, LA Police Gear, Operator Outfitters, and LifeLines Adventure Gear.