Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 05-09-2013, 4:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezfoo View Post
CentOS. Its what I use on 100 or so production servers, on both hardware and VMware. It just works.

If you want to act like an arrogant snob you can run BSD.
I could not get used to /dev/wd0s1, and /dev/sd1f, when /dev/hda1 and /dev/sda1 references just make more sense to me, and seemed to be a more consistent convention.

If someone is going BSD, one might as well get a Mac, an iPhone, and just stay in friend-zone with all the ladies, for life. The team-switch would be eventual.

Last edited by the86d; 05-09-2013 at 4:39 AM..
Old 05-10-2013, 10:36 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
I could not get used to /dev/wd0s1, and /dev/sd1f, when /dev/hda1 and /dev/sda1 references just make more sense to me, and seemed to be a more consistent convention.
I don't mind that stuff, I get used to it dealing with Solaris, IRIX, SCO, etc that I have to support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
If someone is going BSD, one might as well get a Mac, an iPhone, and just stay in friend-zone with all the ladies, for life. The team-switch would be eventual.
LOL thats a good way to put it. Don't forget the obligatory little devil tattoo...
Old 05-13-2013, 12:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Okay so now that we got a decent amount of mixing for the OS, What about applications?

Is there an IE for Linux? I have not really looked but how hard is it for someone like me who grew up on DOS and has been stuck on Windows XP for the past 10years to switch over to Linux? Can I still run my angry birds, my sega emulators, my office 2k3, my password holder for online sites and ftp programs and all? Does Linux come with all you need or do you need to get more things for image and movie manipulation? Linux = similar to MAC/OSX (which is similar to unix I thought) so I would think that all of those things would be out there. I just have never really looked for them. Will I find that I will be spending vast amounts of my free time looking around at source forge for things? What about movie codecs? Is there a killer LINUX/UNIX codec pack that plays everything bulletproof?

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

Old 05-13-2013, 2:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
Okay so now that we got a decent amount of mixing for the OS, What about applications?

Is there an IE for Linux? I have not really looked but how hard is it for someone like me who grew up on DOS and has been stuck on Windows XP for the past 10years to switch over to Linux? Can I still run my angry birds, my sega emulators, my office 2k3, my password holder for online sites and ftp programs and all? Does Linux come with all you need or do you need to get more things for image and movie manipulation? Linux = similar to MAC/OSX (which is similar to unix I thought) so I would think that all of those things would be out there. I just have never really looked for them. Will I find that I will be spending vast amounts of my free time looking around at source forge for things? What about movie codecs? Is there a killer LINUX/UNIX codec pack that plays everything bulletproof?

Yes you can do all that. For browsers use Chrome, Firefox, etc... For office Use LibreOffice or one of the others that are all variants of the same thing. For movies VLC kills everything else. There are a few emulators for video games and if you absolutely HAVE to run a Windows application you can use Wine
Old 05-13-2013, 5:01 PM

I was a longtime Ubuntu user until they upgraded the GNOME interface. Made me snap at that point. Tried Mint, seems to be alright.

CentOS is basically branding scrubbed Red Hat. Fedora is the consumer Red Hat.
I'd recommend Ubuntu, but in my opinion they took the easy to use a little overboard.
Old 05-13-2013, 5:06 PM

Quote:

Most Linux distros come with all the basics preloaded (office word processing, media player, web browser, etc.) unless you specifically get minimal versions. Software isn't always the same but equivalents exist.
Old 05-13-2013, 8:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmbrdilos View Post
I was a longtime Ubuntu user until they upgraded the GNOME interface. Made me snap at that point. Tried Mint, seems to be alright.

CentOS is basically branding scrubbed Red Hat. Fedora is the consumer Red Hat.
I'd recommend Ubuntu, but in my opinion they took the easy to use a little overboard.
Fedora is bleeding edge Red Hat. A public beta basically. After kernels and packages have been marked stable they will eventually find their way into the ES release.

CentOS is a mostly a brand stripped and binary compatible Red Hat but there are a few differences and they do have alternate repositories.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:00 PM
Bit Pusher
CGN Contributor

Fedora is cool in that it gets updated all. the. damn. time. By the time you've got a system configured just the way you like it, you're already two releases behind. Bleeding edge indeed.
Old 05-16-2013, 6:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Awesome! I am going to load Fuduntu tonight onto a laptop because it seemed right. This will be the first of many. Thanks for all the input here and in pms, This has increased my world of knowledge a LOT.

Great. And I just found out that I have chosen a discontinued project that I am going to guess will not be supported and fizzle out sooner than later...

Last edited by stilly; 05-16-2013 at 8:09 PM..
Old 05-16-2013, 6:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Screw VLC, buggy as all else. I run most vids through command line. More stable and way more control. But as with all things linux based you have to know WTF you are doing.

I am pretty Minty, even though he is an anti-gunner, so I don't donate.. just leech.
...but their exists also in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to attempt to lower the powerful to their own level, and reduces men to prefer equality in slavery to inequality with freedom.
Old 05-16-2013, 8:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Yeah, I have heard about Mint...

Old 05-16-2013, 9:02 PM
CGSSA Associate

I use openSUSE, no good reason other than probably because the VOIP and media servers I install/design run SLES.
Old 05-16-2013, 9:42 PM
CGSSA Associate

only thing i can contribute to this is : if you insist on linux, please standardize all environments. Developers thank you. Drive labels, drive aliases, etc... we can cope. Just please make the environments uniform, whatever it is you choose

Old 05-17-2013, 3:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Awesome! I am going to load Fuduntu tonight onto a laptop because it seemed right. This will be the first of many. Thanks for all the input here and in pms, This has increased my world of knowledge a LOT.

Great. And I just found out that I have chosen a discontinued project that I am going to guess will not be supported and fizzle out sooner than later...
I have tried multiple versions of *buntu, and only like 2 installed and booted out of like 10 installs on functional hardware. I am pretty anti-*buntu at this point.
One of them actually booted to the installer as it should have, but couldn't see the HD drives, another installed completely but failed installing the bootloader. Most distros that I dislike take forever to install...
Old 05-17-2013, 3:27 PM

I use CentOS on all of my personal systems (a couple servers, home laptops). I've used it for a long time. I started using it for my servers when it became mature and I got tired of Fedora's shorter life-span. I started using Fedora when RHL (previous version of RHEL) stopped at RH9, and had been using it for my desktops since RH7 and for servers since RH5.

Fedora is great if you want to use the latest and greatest. However, support for any given Fedora version ends when two releases later are released + 1 month. A release comes out about every 6 months, so that means the most a release is supported is about 13 months. For servers, this is especially a pain to reinstall, but for my simple desktop needs, this is far too annoying as well. These days, I just want to use my PCs. I don't want to reinstall it all the time.

I use Red Hat Enterprise Linux at work, for two reasons: 1. they want someone that the non-Linux guys can call up and get support, 2. it does have better patch management support. CentOS will get all the patches, but you can't track it to RH Bug or Security Errata numbers or CVEs. You can do this with RHEL. With RHEL you can test a specific CVE's patches and deploy the same exact patches every time over and over. CentOS you are often limited to the most recent release of updates.

Another downside with RHEL/CentOS (vs. Fedora or other more often refreshed distros) is that it gets long in the teeth with versions. This is great and very stable for servers. From a desktop perspective, as non-FOSS drivers aren't supported by RH/CentOS, sometimes there is breakage with nVidia and other chipsets. I haven't run into this much lately, but then I have an nVidia update that I've been putting off for 2 weeks because I don't want to troubleshoot it if it does break. I've very cautious and knows what will "break" my system and know how to carefully roll things back (enabling keepcache in /etc/yum.conf helps).

For the casual user who doesn't care about a production environment Linux, just go with Ubuntu LTS. I'm probably going to set up my in-laws with Ubuntu 12 LTS in the next 6 months as they have WinXP and support for that OS is drawing to a close. They don't need a new PC, but Win7 would probably be rather sluggish. Over the years I've been transitioning them to all FOSS desktop applications (LibreOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird, etc.), so I believe a transition for them should be fairly painless.

Last edited by Jason95357; 05-17-2013 at 3:37 PM..
Old 05-28-2013, 3:23 PM
Banned

OpenSuse and Kororaa
Old 06-01-2013, 3:14 PM

Mageia on the desktops and Mint on the netbook. But I had to enable the root account on Mint, just don't want to deal with sudo every 5 minutes. Still use Mandriva 2010 on the laptop - its RAM bound and I don't want to update to something newer.

I use Puppy to boot to a USB drive if I am using someone else's PC, and Gparted for disk troubleshooting.