Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.
Default What is your favorite Linux distro and why?

I have not really used it before but I am grabbing Fedora right now to load it up and start learning.

Do they all have the terminal thingy? I would imagine yes but it seems a lot like the old DOS days...
Old 04-26-2013, 10:36 AM
Calguns Addict

I prefer Centos, but I only use Linux for servers and only access them via SSH or console. All the people in my office that use Linux on their personal machines use Ubuntu.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 04-26-2013, 10:37 AM

I'm a Gentoo user. Yes, they all have the terminal, but it's much more feature rich than DOS.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Slackware has been GREAT for learning the Linux cli, fastest beefy distro to install, simple, and works on everything I ever installed it on. *buntu has been a pain on like 80% of old boxes I was trying it out on, and wouldn't even detect hard drives on a few boards with nVidia IDE and SATA controllers. There is also the LiveCD/DVD if you ware just looking to tinker, but they tend to be real slow every time you wish to do anything (especially if the CD/DVD drive spins-down).

I am trying out different GUI distros now, as M$ is pissing me off more daily these days.

I just tried one that works pretty well a free tinker-toy w/512MB RAM and a single-core Centrino: Fuduntu.

I was anti-anything with Gnome for a while, as I am generally opposed to most stuff that comes out of Mexico. KDE functioned more like the Windows Interface I have used for years...

At the *IX CLI, you can do a bunch more than in Windows of yester-year. (I haven't had a desire to learn the scripting-shell[?] or whatever M$ are pushing these days, as they will just change it in a few versions), and batches stopped working correctly even in XP, and you had to put some of the batch in quotes as variables to work, if I recall correctly.

Last edited by the86d; 04-26-2013 at 11:10 AM..
Old 04-26-2013, 1:42 PM
Calguns Addict

I saw slackware but did not grab it since I was already grabbing Fedora.
I will grab that next. I hope it supports old hardware.

I have several computers that have been sitting around gathering dust but I am looking for work so I intend to get a windows linux/samba4 server and I want a mac and at least one or two Linux boxes on my network. When I get employed I am going to take my g/f shopping and she is gonna get a brand new box with an AMD cpu (cause I am an AMD fanboi) and then I figure that I will find a way to tie in my webpage with a sql server of some sort and put up a HUGE database filled with reloading data that I have collected from the manufacturers and printed manuals as well as online sources and then I plan to play and play and hopefully gain a little bit of experience and share things. My garage box is going to be a linux based computer. Who knows, maybe even multiboot depending on what flavor I want.

I like varieties, I will have a multiboot for the garage and load up all the different ones onto a hd and see how they work.
Old 04-26-2013, 2:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Keep in mind that AFAIK many different distros OOTB will not read NTFS volumes (I know Knoppix Live DVD/CD can), so have a separate data partition (Maybe fat32), or drive that you can throw your data on. When playing with different OS's make sure you know which is which... I lost some of my best pr0n pulled from IRC because I removed the wrong volume... and file-carving wasn't as prominent/easy as today.

I have been an AMD fan forever. Linux drivers take quite a bit longer to get with the program on Intel's newer network cards (Gig-Ethernet is what I had the most issues with in Linux, aside from *buntu not seeing drives), but I only had this happen like 2 times in Slackware out of like: 40.

Last edited by the86d; 04-26-2013 at 2:20 PM..
Old 04-26-2013, 3:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabj View Post
I prefer Centos, but I only use Linux for servers and only access them via SSH or console. All the people in my office that use Linux on their personal machines use Ubuntu.
What do you like about Centos?

I read about it and I saw some cons that stuck out.

Apparently it can fail bad and break (I dunno how but that was the comment from two different sites).

I think I wanna collect all the flavors and stick them onto a usb stick and then just choose what to put on.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post

Apparently it can fail bad and break (I dunno how but that was the comment from two different sites).

I think I wanna collect all the flavors and stick them onto a usb stick and then just choose what to put on.
I choose CentOS as well since its the open source version of redhat. I wouldnt say which distro is best. I use redhat day in and day out. I havent seen it horribly fail and break compared to other linux flavors. Lets say we run a lot of servers as well.

If you really want to lean linux and not dabble in it, i suggest you install gentoo stage 1. Where you compile your compiler, things get interesting, but one will learn linux from the ground zero. I dont like telling people to use use GUI, it just hinders them in the long run.
Old 04-28-2013, 3:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Well, I'm not sure what "fail bad and break" means. The OS isn't going to magically crash and become unusable.

As far as why I like Centos, it sticks to System V initialization which is what I'm used to. Plus, Centos is derived off of Redhat, whereas Ubuntu is derived off of Debian, and I used Redhat heavily back in the late 90s.

I have to use Ubuntu and when I started using Ubuntu, I saw a lot of differences that annoyed me (e.g. iptables isn't restartable via System V scripts natively).

Thus, I guess my familiarity with Redhat leads me to prefer Centos.

From a package management standpoint, I like Centos's yum over Ubuntu's apt-get.

When working with apt-get, I often just feel like downloading tarballs and compiling stuff by hand. For some reason apt-get makes Ubuntu's build environment feel muddy to me. I'm sure that's not the case and it's organized, but that's not my perception of it.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 04-28-2013, 4:27 PM

If you are new to linux ubuntu, if you are reviving an old computer, puppy.
Old 04-28-2013, 5:57 PM

Centos is just an open sourced version of RH Enterprise with less support. One annoying thing about Debian items like Ubuntu and Mint is that you have to install new versions instead of rolling updates. Most people learn on specific systems and have preferences based on what they use. Sort of like some people like emacs while others like vi. I've personally never like RPMs so I avoid RH based OS. Ubuntu has spyware in it so I avoid that.
Old 04-28-2013, 5:59 PM
Veteran Member

Red Hat for my machines as well as servers. Any other user I have them use Ubuntu.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:14 PM

I like fedora (all of our servers run it) and ubuntu. All are so easy to use now it's not even funny.
Old 04-29-2013, 2:50 AM

I use backtrack occasionally.
Old 04-30-2013, 2:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbarnie View Post
I use backtrack occasionally.
Backtrack is for security testing right? But it is like a full blown distro that is only designed to test with hundreds or thousands of tools jammed in it?

I grabbed a 64bit gnome and kde version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavericksun View Post
Centos is just an open sourced version of RH Enterprise with less support. One annoying thing about Debian items like Ubuntu and Mint is that you have to install new versions instead of rolling updates. Most people learn on specific systems and have preferences based on what they use. Sort of like some people like emacs while others like vi. I've personally never like RPMs so I avoid RH based OS. Ubuntu has spyware in it so I avoid that.
That sucks. I saw a website that listed 13 versions and the pros and cons and sometimes those items were mentioned. Yeah I would not really care to keep installing stuff. Your spyware comment though, does that have to do with ubuntu collecting info from shopping or something? I thought I read a similar comment as I was scanning through a page elsewhere and it said that many users saw that as spyware because of something it did to online purchases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabj View Post
Well, I'm not sure what "fail bad and break" means. The OS isn't going to magically crash and become unusable.

As far as why I like Centos, it sticks to System V initialization which is what I'm used to. Plus, Centos is derived off of Redhat, whereas Ubuntu is derived off of Debian, and I used Redhat heavily back in the late 90s.

I have to use Ubuntu and when I started using Ubuntu, I saw a lot of differences that annoyed me (e.g. iptables isn't restartable via System V scripts natively).

Thus, I guess my familiarity with Redhat leads me to prefer Centos.

From a package management standpoint, I like Centos's yum over Ubuntu's apt-get.

When working with apt-get, I often just feel like downloading tarballs and compiling stuff by hand. For some reason apt-get makes Ubuntu's build environment feel muddy to me. I'm sure that's not the case and it's organized, but that's not my perception of it.
Apparently it corrupted config files or something trying to get an app to work. I am sure the fix was longer then reinstalling it minus the bad app.

What is an iptable? Is that like ipconfig /renew and thus meaning that you have to reboot in order to renew your ip address lease on a dhcp server or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonith3901 View Post
I choose CentOS as well since its the open source version of redhat. I wouldnt say which distro is best. I use redhat day in and day out. I havent seen it horribly fail and break compared to other linux flavors. Lets say we run a lot of servers as well.

If you really want to lean linux and not dabble in it, i suggest you install gentoo stage 1. Where you compile your compiler, things get interesting, but one will learn linux from the ground zero. I dont like telling people to use use GUI, it just hinders them in the long run.
You guys are really loving on the CentOS. I will grab a version and check it out. I asked for favorite distro, best is an opinion and I know better than to ask that. Gentoo stage 1? Aint heard of that one yet. I guess I would pick up the cli a lot faster. Why do you have to compile stuff? I thought that was for programming.

Thanks for the answers so far.
Old 04-30-2013, 3:05 AM
Veteran Member

just installed ubuntu 12.4 on an old dell machine.. it is a bit of a learning process.. I have wanted to learn linux for a while.. having some problems with their software center.. the interface is nice and i think it will do what i want it to.. it's an old machine and i just want something simple for my dad to be able to get online and type in word docs.. so far so good.. I might have to check out CentOs.. but I really just want a clutter free simple os that doesn't hog resources.. being that they are old computers..
-Edmund Burke
I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
- Phil Dalmolin

The Battle of Athens was illegal too.
Old 04-30-2013, 7:30 AM
Banned

I've been using Linux since 2003. I pretty much use Debian and Arch. Sometimes I'll fool around with Puppy.

Debian is one of the oldest distributions still around. I like Debian's APT package management, which is why I stuck with it. The same goes for Arch's pacman package manager. I also like Arch's philosophy of keeping things simple. I like Puppy becomes it's very lightweight.

I've fooled around with Slackware a little. It's excellent.
Old 04-30-2013, 8:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Now I am at a crossroads.

ARCH for my media machine
Zentyal for my PDC
my laptop will run Fundunto or slackware or Centos (or maybe load up three laptops)
and a workstation with Gentoo and another workstation with fedora...

:\
Old 04-30-2013, 8:55 AM
Veteran Member

debian has always been my favorite. ive used it since 2.2r6. debian is so nice i even had it loaded as a virtual dual boot on my samsung galaxy sii cell phone. it was fully functional, including wifi =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactuscooler View Post
I have Paramilitary training
Old 04-30-2013, 8:56 AM

slackware is horrid. it was competitive in the 90s when there weren't mainstream things like package managers but its terribly behind in the convenience game for linux these days.

i've stuck with centos these days because of all the little niceties that come with it.

if i want something really fast and lean i'll go with freebsd.
Old 04-30-2013, 9:16 PM

Ubuntu is my distro of choice right now.

I love having the massive support that Ubuntu brings with it. Have a problem: google "ubuntu <your problem here>" and you will almost always find a fairly well answered forum post on your exact problem. The "google-ability" of Ubuntu related stuff just seems higher in my experience.

Also Ubuntu seems to have the best program support, at least for the programs I use. By this I mean that a large amount of developers will release only for the "top" few distros and leave the rest of the distros to deal with it themselves. Ubuntu is almost always one of the distros that gets support. Ex: Dropbox installers lists just a few distros, Ubuntu at the top even. I'm definitely not new to linux at this point and compiling from source doesn't scare me, but having an installer provided from the developer is just so nice. Steam is another example, it was release for Ubuntu first (has it been officially release anywhere else yet?) I really like this sort of support, the kind that a one-man-show distro just doesn't have, though I totally respect and understand why people like to go that route.

I've even grown to like Unity. It has come a long way since it's first release (which pushed me into using Lubuntu/Debian KDE for a while). I honestly don't ever want to mess around with a "Start Menu" style of interface again, it's just plain slower than what I do now. I now only use a "dash home"/gnome-do/synapse/etc sort of program launcher, which Unity uses by default. Even on Windows I never really dig through the start menu anymore. However, this is just my personal taste and I understand if that isn't your cup of tea. Also, this feature of Unity can be easily installed on any distro through the use of some of the programs I mentioned above, I just like that unity uses it by default.

TLDR: I like Ubuntu because it has a huge community and support.

Last edited by vikingm03; 04-30-2013 at 9:33 PM..
Old 04-30-2013, 9:58 PM
Veteran Member

I have found some luck with the support for sure.. only problem i am still having is the software center was screwed up..think i need to re install it.. as i do believe i removed it..no longer there.. it kept crashing whenever it opened.. followed a bunch of peoples advice and ran all these commands lol.. this is a brand new install.. i will play with it tomorrow.. this machine is running on 512kb ram.. super slow..increasing my memory should solve this problem right?

i also added a old style menu that drops down from the top right .. so i could find the applications menu.. still learning this thing.. but i like it just kind of mac looking
-Edmund Burke
I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
- Phil Dalmolin

Old 04-30-2013, 11:18 PM
Bit Pusher
CGN Contributor

Add another vote for CentOS. All my prod servers that don't require Windows Server run CentOS.
Old 05-01-2013, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninety View Post
I have found some luck with the support for sure.. only problem i am still having is the software center was screwed up..think i need to re install it.. as i do believe i removed it..no longer there.. it kept crashing whenever it opened.. followed a bunch of peoples advice and ran all these commands lol.. this is a brand new install.. i will play with it tomorrow.. this machine is running on 512kb ram.. super slow..increasing my memory should solve this problem right?

i also added a old style menu that drops down from the top right .. so i could find the applications menu.. still learning this thing.. but i like it just kind of mac looking
512 megabytes (not kilobytes ) is on the low end for ubuntu, but an increase in ram size may not do anything, depending on what you are doing with your computer. I don't know of your knowledge with computers, so if this next paragraph is super simple for you then I'm sorry in advance, but let me see if I can make a good analogy for those who want to understand computer hardware a little better:

An analogy for computers is that of an office workspace. In this office workspace, you have three main components: you have the worker, the worker's desk, and the filing cabinet. The worker represents the CPU, the desk represents the RAM, and the filing cabinet represents the Hard Drive. To start accomplishing a task (run a program), the worker must first bring out the files (computer code) that he is going to be working on and place them on his desk (in the RAM). The act of getting files from the cabinet takes a very long time since the worker must walk over to the cabinet and slowly search through the files (hard drives are very slow at accessing computer code) thus the worker would not want to be working on files directly from the cabinet. Instead, he would prefer to work on his sweet desk since it is more convenient and faster that the cabinet (RAM is much faster, and all of the code needed for any program to run is always brought into the RAM). However, the worker's desk can only hold a few files at one time, unlike the cabinet which can hold a vast amount of files (Hard Drives are slow but hold way more computer code than RAM). If at any time the worker needs another file from the cabinet but has no more room on his desk, there is a lengthy process of re-filing one of the files on his desk back into the cabinet and then searching for the new file he that he needed (this is called Paging in the computer world). With the files that the worker needs all out on his desk, the worker can accomplish the work that he needs to do, but he needs to be carefull to put back all of his files into the cabinet before leaving work that day (shutting of the computer) because the mean janitor will put toilet patties on all of the files left out on his desk (RAM physically can't 'remember' what it had stored in it without power, thus everything you want to keep must be stored on the Hard Drive at some point).

So the point from that whole ramble was to point out that if your computer has enough ram to hold the computer code for all the programs that you are running, then adding more ram will not increase the performance of your machine. If your machine is "paging" however, then more ram is a great improvement.

Note: computer's get waaaaay more complex the closer you look at them. Lots of fun if you like a challenge =)

Hope this helps!
Old 05-01-2013, 9:34 PM
Veteran Member

It was a bit simple.. but I love the analogy.. Threw in an extra gb of ram today.. seems to of helped.. also re installed the software center and added unbuntu extras package? For flash support with fire fox..

Next venture is to get wine and try some windows programs out..

The system is pretty old dell dimension 3000 .. but It is serving it's purpose and I'm breakin my pops in on Linux.. Need to get my computer up and running so I can play on it some more... might have to check out a different distro.. lunbuntu might be a better fit .. wanted to get the basic ubuntu first before I fooled with anything else.. With so much going on right now isn't the perfect time to learn a new OS....
-Edmund Burke
- Phil Dalmolin

Old 05-02-2013, 5:33 PM

Running #! Right now because I wanted something that can run on a 1.5ghz system and 512mb of ram that is going to be upgraded to 2gb as soon as it gets here. So far so good for stability and being used as a word processor / music player off of the arch media box.

Sent from the bottom of a pickle barrel.
Old 05-02-2013, 6:43 PM

Slackware because its extremely customizable and its the closest distro.to UNIX. It is not for beginners. Arch is also a good one.

Clint Smith On Gun Safety [ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6Y7LIJm5gI ]
1. All firearms are ALWAYS loaded.
2. Don't point the muzzle at anything you're not willing to destroy.
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you're on the target and ready to shoot.
4. Be sure of your target and backstop.
Old 05-02-2013, 7:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Why is ARCH recommended for hacking and multimedia? Because it has very little running overhead and lets the cpu chug away? Why did they say hacking then? Odd.
Old 05-02-2013, 8:52 PM

If you want to learn linux get Slackware. For servers run centos.

I'd used to say run Ubuntu for desktop/beginners but it's going down it's own path lately. Try Linux Mint if you want to run a desktop, has versions built on Debian and Ubuntu (I know Ubuntu is based of Debian).

For anyone who hasn't run Slackware in a while, try it again and use http://slackbuilds.org/ to find and compile applications.
Old 05-07-2013, 8:41 AM

I like Mint and Ubuntu with Gnome Classic. Easy to use and they offer several install options, including a Windows install (wubi.exe) option, Live CD/USB, multi-boot, etc.. If you want to try multiple builds, you should check out VMWare Player to create multiple virtual machines. VMWare Player is free to download and use, and runs on both Windows and Linux.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
That sucks. I saw a website that listed 13 versions and the pros and cons and sometimes those items were mentioned. Yeah I would not really care to keep installing stuff. Your spyware comment though, does that have to do with ubuntu collecting info from shopping or something? I thought I read a similar comment as I was scanning through a page elsewhere and it said that many users saw that as spyware because of something it did to online purchases.
It basically takes the information you type into search to connect to Canonical's servers to get suggested products from Amazon. They say you can turn it off but I just don't want that stuff at all.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:28 AM

i suggest ubuntu 12.04 lts (lts-long term support). it will update for 5 years. 12.10 is also out but the lts will last u longer. generally ubuntu updates every 6 months. i dont like the unity desktop but u can switch back to classic. install compiz (look up features on youtube) n u will have a kickass desktop.

pm me if u need help.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:52 AM
Calguns Addict

I've had good luck with Puppy Linux on older laptops.

My Fujitsu Lifebook tablet currently runs Xubuntu, which had no problems locating and running everything except the touchscreen, which I didn't care about anyway since it required a stylus. Puppy Linux ran well on that machine also.
Old 05-07-2013, 2:54 PM
Veteran Member

ubuntu because i'm a newb
Old 05-07-2013, 6:50 PM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Been running Ubuntu for over 5 years on my work laptop. The best thing about Ubuntu isn't that it is necessarily the best distro, but when you run into seemingly obscure problems you're more likely to find helpful answers via Google due to the busy forums and relatively large user base.

Just vote Yes please, not asking for money.
Old 05-07-2013, 8:03 PM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I started off with Slackware in the early-mid 90's when you downloaded 13 image files and had to rawrite them to floppy disk. Now I use CentOS when I feel the need to run Linux and on occasion Ubuntu, as well as a custom distro for my Asterisk phone system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcchin View Post
I like Mint and Ubuntu with Gnome Classic. Easy to use and they offer several install options, including a Windows install (wubi.exe) option, Live CD/USB, multi-boot, etc.. If you want to try multiple builds, you should check out VMWare Player to create multiple virtual machines. VMWare Player is free to download and use, and runs on both Windows and Linux.
I'll usually run Virtualbox instead of VMWare Player, but both will work just fine for testing out different OS's.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:47 PM

The best advice i can give to a new user is to check out the howto's at the Linux Documentation Project (http://tldp.org).

For distro's I've been using Linux since '97, starting with Slackware ('member boot and root floppies?) on an old 486 and started playing with ipchains to build my own early version home LAN with a single ISP IP address. I now manage a development lab for a large company and we host approx. 1500 hw servers and about another 2500 Linux CentOS VIrtual machines on ESX servers.

Back in the day many people used IRC to get real time answers to questions, but most of the time you were told to RTFM. The tldp.org page howto's cover just about every Linux issue you could imagine. For newbs, I would recommend installing CentOS and getting your YUM configured correctly for updates so that you don't end up in the RPM dependencies loop. After that, find a feature or function that Linux provides and start reading tldp.org docs on a different system while you have Linux setup on a test platform.

If you just want a desktop platform to browse the web, there are several distro's that have LiveCD .iso versions that will let you boot off of a cd or USB key on your normal desktop without disturbing the base Windows OS on the hard drive. Ubuntu is great for this I believe, however I prefer run level 3 where I have CLI control over everything and I can still switch between consoles by hitting alt-F6. But that is just me.

Hope that helps!
Old 05-08-2013, 12:19 AM

Ubuntu due to its relation to Debian, and the apt-get system which closely mimics the ports/packages systems that I was used to using on FreeBSD / OpenBSD / NetBSD.
Old 05-08-2013, 5:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Lately I am intrigued by these AndroidTV devices, Linux based, but with a better interface than (i)OSuX devices.

'"Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
"Kanotix" -- a German word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
"Mandriva" -- a French word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
"Fedora" -- an American word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".'

Last edited by the86d; 05-08-2013 at 5:52 AM..
Old 05-08-2013, 9:44 AM
Calguns Addict

CentOS. Its what I use on 100 or so production servers, on both hardware and VMware. It just works.

If you want to act like an arrogant snob you can run BSD.

Last edited by ibanezfoo; 05-08-2013 at 9:46 AM..