Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 04-26-2013, 9:24 AM

Question Settling For Less (Budget Firearms)?

How many of you guys out there have had your choice firearm in mind, but you did not to fork out the extra cash for it?

I am talking about going in for a Mossberg 500 and leaving with a Maverick 88 or a Remington 700 versus a a 770 (which I have heard are garbage).

I want to know which firearms are really great for the money and which to steer clear from.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:07 AM

Had my mind set on a .357 Ruger SP101 for my first revolver, but then I saw a .38 Taurus 851 in stainless for half the price. I cheaped out and but the Taurus along with a Marlin 795 and a bunch of ammo with money leftover.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:30 PM

these days with the market the way it is i may settle for something less, but id never buy crap, typically ill research on my phone at the storefront. (BTW if you are in the market for a shotgun check out the rock island M5 i heard some good things.)
Old 04-26-2013, 1:15 PM

Bersa .380 over the ppk and have been pretty happy with it.
Old 04-26-2013, 1:21 PM
Calguns Addict

I saw a 9mm at the local Pawn-Shop for $125 with 4 mags.

It was a High-point, so I high-tailed it out of there...
Old 04-26-2013, 1:25 PM
Make Calguns Great Again
CGN Contributor

I haven't had any issues with my Jennings
Old 04-26-2013, 1:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfirejes View Post
Bersa .380 over the ppk and have been pretty happy with it.
^^^^ Everybody who chooses a Bersa over a PPK is happy.
This is one of those rare cases where the cheaper item is actually better than the higher priced competitor.
I did not cheap out when I bought my Bersa, it was my first choice. After 5 years, I am still very pleased.
Old 04-26-2013, 1:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vliberatore View Post
I haven't had any issues with my Jennings
^^^^ I could not say the same. My Jennings was nicknamed the 'Jam-O-matic'. Sold it a long time ago.
Old 04-26-2013, 1:42 PM

I dont know it qualfies as a "budget" gun but for my 18th birthday I wanted a "chopper" and could not afford an ak or ar. So I bought an uncoverted saiga in 7.62x39 and am quite satisfied with my purchase. If Difi does ban it I will convert it to accept a pistol grip and ak-47 magazines but for the time being I am very happy with my purchase.
Old 04-26-2013, 1:58 PM
Make Calguns Great Again
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFord150 View Post
^^^^ I could not say the same. My Jennings was nicknamed the 'Jam-O-matic'. Sold it a long time ago.
From what I've heard, my experience is very atypical haha
Old 04-26-2013, 3:10 PM
Banned

I didn't "settle" when I made the decision to buy my son and grandson each a Stevens 350. Shotgun is very well made and despite being made in China felt MUCH better overall then the made in USA Maverick 88.

A friend of my grandson bought the Stevens 320 on my recommendation after checking out his 350.

I also didn't settle when I bought a Rock Island Tactical 1911. I have a Kimber and Colt as well and the Rock will do 90% of what they will for 1/3rd the price. It is every bit as good as the Ruger and SA entry level 1911s for roughly half the price.

Spending less isn't always a case of "settling".
Old 04-26-2013, 3:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I went with an SR9TC rather than a PSG1, actually, the PSG1 was not available for civilians at the time I bought, if ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
Please stop judging me. Your ad hominem attack does nothing more than show you don't pack the gear for this debate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Hero View Post
I love this thread. One person standing alone masturbating furiously, while everyone else is pointing and laughing at his small weenie.
XXXX
Old 04-26-2013, 3:48 PM
Single stack pistol guy
CGN Contributor

I wanted a Browning Hi-Power but I bought a FEG Hi Power instead. $500 OTD with 4 mags.

It's the same gun.

w210838 is the barrel guy don't forget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
The average Calgunner is afraid to scratch his gun; so I don't see the point to these torture tests.
Old 04-26-2013, 4:30 PM
Banned

No, I only bought the SW Sigma cuz it was on sale at a good price.... I wasnt really shopping for a gun at the time....

Still paid too much.... Horrible little gun....
Old 04-26-2013, 5:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by postal View Post
No, I only bought the SW Sigma cuz it was on sale at a good price.... I wasnt really shopping for a gun at the time....

Still paid too much.... Horrible little gun....
I know several people that bought a Sigma and all of them sold it off as soon as they could. LOL
Old 04-26-2013, 6:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

in most instances, i prefer the older variant of a current production gun. i hold out, and wait to buy until i find the one i want. usually, the older variant costs me less than the current production example.
Old 04-26-2013, 6:25 PM

I buy used, rarely new. Because of this I do not have to settle for a "cheaper" model of anything. I bought an 870 for $150 four years ago.

Learn everything you can regarding what makes a gun go bang. Then dig into the trade/used rack. A beat up rough looking gun can surprise you. I have an 1894 38-55 that looked like hell. Stripped it down and it wwas darn near brand new on the inside.
Old 04-26-2013, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFord150 View Post
^^^^ Everybody who chooses a Bersa over a PPK is happy.
This is one of those rare cases where the cheaper item is actually better than the higher priced competitor.
I did not cheap out when I bought my Bersa, it was my first choice. After 5 years, I am still very pleased.
I have heard a lot of good reports about the Bersas. If I am interested in function I'll choose the Bersa, but the cool factor of the PPK is hard to beat.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:02 PM

When I was getting ready to buy my first gun, I bought and read every gun magazine there was to do "research". My dream gun was a stainless Sig P228 in .40 but there was no way I could afford it. I went with a Beretta 96 instead for over $300 cheaper and have been very happy with it.

It wasn't until this very second while typing this that I realized I could have been pretty close to the Sig's price if I hadn't wasted all that money on those magazines!

If I ever find a stainless P228 for sale, I'm snapping that baby up!
Old 04-26-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chameleon Loco View Post
I dont know it qualfies as a "budget" gun but for my 18th birthday I wanted a "chopper" and could not afford an ak or ar. So I bought an uncoverted saiga in 7.62x39 and am quite satisfied with my purchase. If Difi does ban it I will convert it to accept a pistol grip and ak-47 magazines but for the time being I am very happy with my purchase.
I definitely would not call a stock saiga a "budget" gun. They are a fine rifle. I am talking about firearms that were intentionally made to be a cheap offering. I really wish I had the the money for one back before this whole mess happened, and when DiFi's bill mentioned the saiga by name I wanted it even more haha
Old 04-27-2013, 1:24 AM
Calguns Addict

I bought a P95 rather then a SR9 and even though i loved that P95 i ended up selling it and bought a SR9 (now i want an SR9c). I had a Hipoint C9 before that and that is one of the guns i regret selling the most, i loved that little ugly turd.

I say get what you want or you'll always look at the item as less then and long for your heart's true desire. In the end you'll wind up paying even more in DROS fees by buying what you dont want . I will say this too, don't look at the more cost effective guns as lesser. research what owners have to say and make up your mind that way, some people just think "if it cost more it must be better" and thats not always the case..
You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.
Old 04-27-2013, 1:55 AM

i got a glock instead of a 1911...

Old 04-27-2013, 2:48 AM
Veteran Member

I'm not sure about settling for less since the guns I want are less expensive compared to the competition. I do all my research and choose the firearm that meets my needs.

Marlin 795
Mossberg 500
Yugo SKS
Mosin Nagant

Those 4 guns pretty much covers all my bases and are all very reasonably priced to own and feed.
Old 04-27-2013, 2:55 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

When I was 1911 shopping I had a Kimber, Colt, Springfield, Sig and an RIA on a counter in front of me. I spent the next coupla' hours trying to figure out which gun to take home. Eventually I picked the RIA because all of the other guns cost almost twice as much and I just wasn't convinced about the platform in general.

Looking back on things, and realizing how much I've come to like 1911's I sorta' wish I had picked anything but the RIA; no disrespect to those makers or their fans, but for me I should've spent more...
Old 04-27-2013, 5:32 AM
Calguns Addict

i have found if you take extra good care of low cost items they perform pretty well.most of my rifles cost less than 500 dollars. i have few problems. my most accurate 100 yard rifle is a 250 dollar Savage mark 2 FV 22lr.
Old 04-27-2013, 5:33 AM

I just got into guns a few years ago, when I was researching what to buy I fell in love with Sig. My wife wouldn't let me spend $800-900 on a gun, so I settled on an SR9 (bought it through gallery of guns without ever touching one, huge mistake) . I'm not a big fan of it and my wife got sick of hearing me complain, so she let me buy a Sig as a birthday/Christmas/anniversary/fathers day/valentines day/groundhogs day gift for myself. I somehow talked her into a $1200 p226 blackwater tacticool LOL. Then when I got the itch for another gun I had to go cheap again, so I bought an m9a1 and I just can't get over the slide controls (wish I would have figured this out at the LGS). Thinking about selling one (or both) and trying out an FNX 40.
Old 04-27-2013, 5:47 AM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

HiPoint was a nice surprise!

Very happy with the ones I own. First one was a gift.
Old 04-27-2013, 6:06 AM
YOU are next!!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Generally speaking...I have never personally regretted making a purchase that ended up being over my budget. Whether its for guns or electronics, I always try to save up a little more for the higher end stuff. But I have had a couple of occasions where I went with a lower model to save money and have regretted those purchases. I ended up selling them and buying the more expensive one anyways. Just my $0.02.
Old 04-27-2013, 7:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk View Post
When I was 1911 shopping I had a Kimber, Colt, Springfield, Sig and an RIA on a counter in front of me. I spent the next coupla' hours trying to figure out which gun to take home. Eventually I picked the RIA because all of the other guns cost almost twice as much and I just wasn't convinced about the platform in general.

Looking back on things, and realizing how much I've come to like 1911's I sorta' wish I had picked anything but the RIA; no disrespect to those makers or their fans, but for me I should've spent more...
What would those other brands have done that the RIA wouldn't? Or couldn't be made to do?

I have a Colt (series80), Kimber (Pro CDP II) and a RIA Tactical and honestly the only one I regret buying is the Kimber. With the trouble it's given me (2 warranty trips/still not right and all the holier-than-thou crap I got off Kimber) I wish I would have spent the extra $400 on a LesBaer but I still don't regret buying the RIA at all.
Old 04-27-2013, 7:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperchasin View Post
Generally speaking...I have never personally regretted making a purchase that ended up being over my budget. Whether its for guns or electronics, I always try to save up a little more for the higher end stuff. But I have had a couple of occasions where I went with a lower model to save money and have regretted those purchases. I ended up selling them and buying the more expensive one anyways. Just my $0.02.
Would you care to share the guns and reasons?

What you didn't like might be a desired feature for someone else. Plus your lower end might be the other guys higher end they are saving for.

Last edited by Steve_In_29; 04-27-2013 at 7:39 AM..
Old 04-27-2013, 7:55 AM

I'm in the BOCO camp. I look at firearms as lifelong possessions that will eventually be handed down to my children.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-27-2013, 8:05 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
I saw a 9mm at the local Pawn-Shop for $125 with 4 mags.

It was a High-point, so I high-tailed it out of there...
Which shop? I'm interested. I own a few +$5000 firearms but, I also know the utilitarian value of a HP. They are currently one of the best guns for the money. I'd jump on one with 4 mags for $125, sell 2 of the mags and keep the gun with 2 mags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiechshlime View Post
I'm in the BOCO camp. I look at firearms as lifelong possessions that will eventually be handed down to my children.
Some are, some aren't. I own a few that are legit museum pieces and I own some that I consider to be nothing more than disposable toys.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.
Old 04-27-2013, 2:03 PM

No, before you know it you will have spent more money on ammo.
Old 04-27-2013, 2:05 PM
YOU are next!!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
Would you care to share the guns and reasons?

What you didn't like might be a desired feature for someone else. Plus your lower end might be the other guys higher end they are saving for.
I started off with a basic P229...sold it for a P229 Elite...then sold it for a P226 X5. Each time I sold I took a small loss. I've always wanted the P226 X5 from the very beginning and did my very best to refrain from spending the $$ on one. But I ended up spending the money anyways. Same applies to other gear like range bags, scopes, mounts, etc.

Regarding your last comment...you are 100% correct. Different budget for everyone. But the same principle applies. I did not mean that the more expensive the better it is. I meant that, for me, I've never regretted having to save a little longer and/or spending the extra $$ to get higher end model. I've yet to acquire a 1911, but when I do, my goal is the $1500-1800 range, very similar to the cost of my P226 X5. Currently have $1k for a 1911 but I do not want a Sig or what the current offerings are in that range. If I did buy one now, I'd feel like I was "settling" and would still have that envy whenever I saw a higher end 1911. Again, these are just my sentiments and experiences.

Last edited by Paperchasin; 04-27-2013 at 2:09 PM..
Old 04-28-2013, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
What would those other brands have done that the RIA wouldn't? Or couldn't be made to do?

I have a Colt (series80), Kimber (Pro CDP II) and a RIA Tactical and honestly the only one I regret buying is the Kimber. With the trouble it's given me (2 warranty trips/still not right and all the holier-than-thou crap I got off Kimber) I wish I would have spent the extra $400 on a LesBaer but I still don't regret buying the RIA at all.
To begin with, the other guns have a forged, steel frame-the RIA does not, and that's become a major nagging point for me; a gun like a 1911 should have a forged, steel frame, not a cast one. Sure, the RIA can be made to have the quality of the higher-end guns but I'm not a tuner-I want things good-to-go out of the box without having to spend any more money on 'mods in the future. Additionally, I only want to own one 1911, and with that being said I should've made it a higher-end one in the first place.

Again, nothing against the RIA but for my personal application I should've spent more...
Old 04-28-2013, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

Buy nice or buy twice.

Get what you want or you'll always be thinking about what you really wanted/wondering...

I've learned that many times, the "best" just isn't as great as people make it out to be.

Best value/popular/common stuffs... they seem to hit my happiness button better than the "higher end" stuff I get.

ie. Glock 9mm , M&P .40

I don't like low end or mediocre holsters though as I've noticed the nicer ones mold better to my body.
Old 04-28-2013, 1:09 PM

I'm trying to get another 308. Ruger American 350 bucks vs Remington 700 AAC-SD at 700 bucks.
Old 04-28-2013, 2:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk View Post
To begin with, the other guns have a forged, steel frame-the RIA does not, and that's become a major nagging point for me; a gun like a 1911 should have a forged, steel frame, not a cast one. Sure, the RIA can be made to have the quality of the higher-end guns but I'm not a tuner-I want things good-to-go out of the box without having to spend any more money on 'mods in the future. Additionally, I only want to own one 1911, and with that being said I should've made it a higher-end one in the first place.

Again, nothing against the RIA but for my personal application I should've spent more...
Where/how has the RIA ever let you down?

EVER heard of the Rocks frame having issues? There are guys on the 1911 boards with tens of thousands of rounds through their Rocks with no issues.

RIA has some MIM parts, well so does Kimber and others. MIM is not your daddies cast metal. All those higher-end brands, lightweight models also have cast aluminum frames.

Ruger's new 1911 has a cast frame and according to their spokesman, it would have had a cast slide as well except for it worked out to be cheaper to machine it from stock. That Ruger goes for almost twice what the Rock does but does that make it a "better" pistol.

Paras use a cast frame as well.

Quality? My Kimber left the factory with a frame whose rails were not parallel to each other. A situation they never did rectify. My wife's Para managed to leave the factory with an unfinished throat cut on the barrel which Para did make right.

I can understand someone wanting to buy American (as another mentioned) and also have no problem understanding the desire for a high-end pistol (as I said I wish I had bought a LesBaer over the Kimber) but that is no reason to cast aspersions on a perfectly acceptable pistol.

Until you step up into the $1700+ range the parts/quality are not that much different among 1911s and you are simply paying for a name.

It would appear you have a perception problem and not an actual issue with your pistol.
Old 04-28-2013, 2:20 PM
Banned

ALWAYS get the best you can afford, down the line you will rather have good firearms rather than budget firearms the budget stuff will always be budget and will loose value quickly whereas the good or better keep it's value or increase. Take pride in what you own and spend your money on. Note I left out Nice and High end, they are in a complete different territory.
Old 04-28-2013, 2:58 PM

Back in the pre-ban heyday, I had an AR vs Mini 14 debate on my purchasing trip. The AR was $60. more. I went with the Mini. No regrets...but it did cost significantly more when I built my post ban AR.