Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALRaider View Post
Are you trying to say I can be charged for being in possession of 30 round magazines that were issued to me by the United States Marine Corps?
You could get arrested for literally anything a LEO feels is illegal. Plenty of people have been arrested for possession because the LEO involved believed the mags are illegal. The mags were confiscated, and even when / if hte charges were ultimately dropped, to the best of my recollection, those mags never got returned.
It was not a threat. It was an exaggerated response to an uncompromising stance. I was taught never to make a threat unless you are prepared to carry it out and I am not a fan of carrying anything. Even watching other people carrying things makes me uncomfortable. Mainly because of the possibility they may ask me to help.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-J View Post
You could get arrested for literally anything a LEO feels is illegal. Plenty of people have been arrested for possession because the LEO involved believed the mags are illegal. The mags were confiscated, and even when / if hte charges were ultimately dropped, to the best of my recollection, those mags never got returned.
Yes, you are correct---that's why I stated you could be CHARGED. I seriously doubt local law enforcement are going to make a huge stand when a command gets involved to request THEIR magazines back.

Look, am I saying none of this could happen? No. Am I saying it's unlikely and would cause immediate embarassment of the LEO. Yes.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

Read the freaking sticky. The FUD is so deep in this thread I can't breathe.

If you don't like the price of something I am selling please feel free to move along... The market, not you, will determine what it's worth. Thanks!
Old 05-14-2013, 3:43 PM

Quote:
My choice of words was poor. I'm sure you can be CHARGED with anything. I can say with a high degree of confidence he will not be convicted unless you're leaving out details.

I can't imagine a situation in which I would find myself in that position, but I'll tell you what---the media would be involved. I hate to sound entitlted, but **** that.
and i that never happens to you. thats why when anybody asks me i just say play it safe.
when traveling take your 30 rounders apart. take the upper off your lower.
yes the likely hood of you being convicted is slim... but who wants to go through that process any way? take the extra minute.

Courage is endurance for one moment more…
- Unknown USMC Lieutenant

Last edited by michaelthetrojan; 05-14-2013 at 3:43 PM.. Reason: N/a
Old 05-14-2013, 3:54 PM

SMH
Old 05-14-2013, 4:01 PM

Good looking out. Us grunts need extra-instruction sometimes...lol.

www.chrismandia.com

staff writer for www.guns.com
Old 05-14-2013, 4:46 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshinoro2007 View Post
Oh the FUD is making me crazy! No >10 round mags in bullet button equipped guns, doesn't matter when you got the mag. And, a mag could have been build yesterday, broken into a parts kit, sent into CA legally, and used to rebuild a pre-2000 legally owned regular capacity mag... But, you still can't use it in a bullet button equipped gun (I don't know if the military AWP would allow that but even police with bullet button guns can't use >10 round mags in them). Please read the freaking law before spreading stupidity far and wide.
The OP made no mention that the AR had a BB. Since it wasnt mentioned, I assumed it did not.

If it did, than yes, 10 or less is the law. I think the OP left out too many details out of the initial post for anyone to make a knowledgeable decision as to whether or not any laws were broken.
Old 05-14-2013, 4:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

MYOB
Old 05-14-2013, 7:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musick View Post
The OP made no mention that the AR had a BB. Since it wasnt mentioned, I assumed it did not.

If it did, than yes, 10 or less is the law. I think the OP left out too many details out of the initial post for anyone to make a knowledgeable decision as to whether or not any laws were broken.
I never said any law was broken. Read what I said.

If you don't like the price of something I am selling please feel free to move along... The market, not you, will determine what it's worth. Thanks!
Old 05-16-2013, 8:29 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0660 View Post
How did you know he was a Marine?
I think I worded my story incorrectly. The Marine (Haircut was a dead giveaway) wasn't the one with the standard-cap magazine. The Marine was just asking if they (range personnel) mind that I use what he thought was a standard-cap magazine.

However person next to me, person B, was the one with the 30 rounder.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 05-17-2013, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanelo View Post
I think I worded my story incorrectly. The Marine (Haircut was a dead giveaway) wasn't the one with the standard-cap magazine. The Marine was just asking if they (range personnel) mind that I use what he thought was a standard-cap magazine.

However person next to me, person B, was the one with the 30 rounder.

Sorry for the confusion.
i under stood what you ment

Courage is endurance for one moment more…
- Unknown USMC Lieutenant
Old 05-23-2013, 10:00 AM

WOW. Ignorance Isnt bliss when it comes to DOJ laws in CA. LOOK, you CAN apply and may even receive the AD assault Weapons Permit, BUT you still CANNOT LEGALLY use your assault weapon anywhere unless it is at a Military Sanctioned Event, people! This is what you need to understand. EVEN police need to follow CA laws while they are in civilian attire, NO EXEMPTIONS unless you are attending a LEGAL function. So your reasoning to use you Assault Weapon Permit holds no ground when attending a range on your off time. yoou WILL be arrested and charged with a Felony,No command will go to bat for you if youre using an assault rifle in your off time. Ask your legal admin. I was a senior troop handler and a liason for MANY a MARINE that were getting kicked out and doing brig time for a LOT LESS!
Old 05-24-2013, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd9sc View Post
LOOK, you CAN apply and may even receive the AD assault Weapons Permit, BUT you still CANNOT LEGALLY use your assault weapon anywhere unless it is at a Military Sanctioned Event
I cut out the rest, but I did agree with everything he said. It seems like the biggest challenge would be getting the base commander to sign off on it in this political climate. If they do sign it, and it is actually required, they most likely wouldn't deny a special request stating exactly what time you'll be going to a range after normal working hours.

But then again, if you actually DO require this permit, you most likely have access to a range or a place to properly train in a secure facility, as these weapons are beyond 'standard' security.

Anyways.. give it a shot, here's the application.

http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pd...ms/mawpapp.pdf
Old 05-30-2013, 8:21 PM

You obviously possess a few 30rd mags cause you're active duty? obviously? lol are you the armorer and sneaking them out in your lunchbox?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The sarge View Post
I've seen it several times at iorn sights and since I'm active duty I obviously possess a few 30rd mags. However I take my 10rd mags to the range for now. I have heard that there is some sort of exemption for military mags but not really interested in finding out the hard way. I'll save the 30's for when I need em or can use them in a free state.
Old 06-22-2013, 4:35 PM

Location: San Diego California Houston Texas New Orleans Louisiana

Need to do someing to change all these gun restrictions. Its dumb you can be charged with a felony for exercising you 2ed amendment right.
Old 06-22-2013, 9:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
No exemption! However, Active Duty Military can get an Assault Weapons Permit if they have the due dilligence to see it through.
CALRaider,

Unfortunately, the Active Duty AWP isn't all that it's cracked up to be. It sounds good, and looks good on paper, but there are two provisions contained in the Military AWP law that really make it difficult:

1) You need the signature of your "Base Commander." While the signature of a unit commander may be easily obtained, please keep in mind that's not what is required. If you're a Camp Pendleton Marine, you need General Coglianese' signature on the app. If your a San Diego sailor, get Admiral Smith to sign.

2) You must provide an "Official letter signed by the applicant’s Base Commander, establishing that a bona fide necessity exists for use of personal assault weapons in military sanctioned activities.." Each of the "Base Commanders" has a legal staff to vet the documents that they sign. See where this is going?

Military AWPs are kinda going the way of unicorns.
Old 07-15-2013, 4:09 PM

It also doesn't apply to service members who are California residents.
Old 07-18-2013, 9:35 PM

An unjust law is now law at all, but unjust force. I have more respect for BATFE agents that plot how they can ruin people's lives to justify their paycheck than for sniveling cowards that piously follow and promote every unjust law they dislike because it is the law.

That said, don't get caught.
You cannot escape from the terror of our armies. Where can you flee? What road will you use to escape us? Our horses are swift, our arrows sharp, our swords like thunderbolts, our hearts as hard as the mountains, our soldiers as numerous as the sand. Fortresses will not detain us, nor arms stop us. Your prayers to God will not avail against us. We are not moved by tears nor touched by lamentations.
Old 07-25-2013, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonademaker View Post
You obviously possess a few 30rd mags cause you're active duty? obviously? lol are you the armorer and sneaking them out in your lunchbox?
It's obvious to other (I assume) Marines. Every Marine in my battalion is issued 6 magazines. It's dumb (I call it 'MSTL,' missile, More S... To Lose) but we all have 'em.

It just occurred to me that Marines that live off base are probably breaking California law simply by having their issued gear at home.
Old 07-26-2013, 7:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swopjan View Post
It's obvious to other (I assume) Marines. Every Marine in my battalion is issued 6 magazines. It's dumb (I call it 'MSTL,' missile, More S... To Lose) but we all have 'em.

It just occurred to me that Marines that live off base are probably breaking California law simply by having their issued gear at home.
Six magazines is the standard combat load for a Marine. MSTL eh? It sounds to me like you're occupation has nothing to do with combat arms.
Old 07-26-2013, 8:38 AM
C3 Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Additional MAWP thread here, this one has inputs from CGF.

Another thread here

The MAWP is intended to allow you to own guns which you can own in your home state. This is important; the MAWP does not give you any more leniency than your home state naturally provides, with regards to assault weapons.

Quote:
Requirements for new Military Assault Weapon Permit Application:

Completed Application (BOF 4082).

Completed Request for Live Scan Service (BCIA 8016). The cost to process the application and the Live Scan
Service is $73.00. Payment is made at the time the Live Scan is performed.

Current copy of applicant’s official military identification card.

Official letter signed by the applicant’s Base Commander, establishing that a bona fide necessity exists for use of
personal assault weapons in military sanctioned activities. The letter must include a current telephone number
for the Base Commander’s office.

Copy of Permanent Change of Military Station Orders.
The renewal process is pretty much the same as a new application except less $$.

Vick

"Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more." (George Patton)

Calguns T-shirts, hats and stickers
New eCommerce site is up, if you have any problems with it, let me know.

The Gulag Archipelago - Online read .pdf
Old 07-26-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Six magazines is the standard combat load for a Marine. MSTL eh? It sounds to me like you're occupation has nothing to do with combat arms.
I'm as POG as it gets, I accept it. It sounds to me like you must have found a constructive use for your magazines in garrison without a rifle or ammunition to go with them.
Old 08-08-2013, 9:18 PM

Quote:
AGAIN---you can get a Active Duty Assault Weapon Permit; however, there is no sweeping exception that applies to AD Mil---YOU MUST APPLY, BE GRANTED, and CARRY YOUR AWP.
have you read the details in this?

http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pd...ms/mawpapp.pdf

i am military, and almost 99% of military personnel will NEVER use personal weaponry for Military Functions. There are the 1% exceptions, and more than likely that will fall under SPECOPS (Delta Force, para-rescue, SeALS, Force Recon) but normal joe schmoe infantryman will use GI gear. If they are allowed to take their own stuff to combat now, that is a new thing. Im going with assumption here based off of rules for what I do in the regular Navy. We can use tactical gear ie, belt, holster. When it comes to personal weaponry for armed watches, thats a NO GO.
Old 08-08-2013, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swopjan View Post

from reading around on here earlier today, i thought military members issued such gear would be an exception, as well as LEO etc. But my question is, who is taking that home? Must be nice! Navy guys cant take crap home. We get yelled at for keeping spent brass/ammo boxes if we dont throw them over the side of the ship when underway
Old 08-08-2013, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd9sc View Post
WOW. Ignorance Isnt bliss when it comes to DOJ laws in CA. LOOK, you CAN apply and may even receive the AD assault Weapons Permit, BUT you still CANNOT LEGALLY use your assault weapon anywhere unless it is at a Military Sanctioned Event, people! This is what you need to understand. EVEN police need to follow CA laws while they are in civilian attire, NO EXEMPTIONS unless you are attending a LEGAL function. So your reasoning to use you Assault Weapon Permit holds no ground when attending a range on your off time. yoou WILL be arrested and charged with a Felony,No command will go to bat for you if youre using an assault rifle in your off time. Ask your legal admin. I was a senior troop handler and a liason for MANY a MARINE that were getting kicked out and doing brig time for a LOT LESS!
this is what i was saying! but hell, half the time the cops around here dont even follow the laws IN UNIFORM!! but dont let the few bad apples ruin the bunch!
Old 08-14-2013, 9:33 PM

I was wrongfully detained by PD in the Palm Springs area, unrelated to anything firearm or criminal. I had a new AR with bullet button in the vehicle (cased and locked), 2-30 rounds magazines with 10 round blocks and a little ammo. After I was released and riding back to my vehicle (in the back of the black and white) the LEO said his Sergeant wanted to charge me with possession of 30 round mags bu the LEO convinced him to let it go. It wasn't until that time that I explained they were 10 rounders. The LEO and Sergeant both asked if the AR was registered and I said no. I explained that registration of long guns was not required in Cali (yet). They said I better get it registered and I said 'ok'. They handed me the rifle, mags , and ammo back the same night in the parking lot. I was LUCKY. They thought I had illegal mags and an unregistered AW and still let me go...
Old 08-25-2013, 9:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrrsd View Post
I was wrongfully detained by PD in the Palm Springs area, unrelated to anything firearm or criminal. I had a new AR with bullet button in the vehicle (cased and locked), 2-30 rounds magazines with 10 round blocks and a little ammo. After I was released and riding back to my vehicle (in the back of the black and white) the LEO said his Sergeant wanted to charge me with possession of 30 round mags bu the LEO convinced him to let it go. It wasn't until that time that I explained they were 10 rounders. The LEO and Sergeant both asked if the AR was registered and I said no. I explained that registration of long guns was not required in Cali (yet). They said I better get it registered and I said 'ok'. They handed me the rifle, mags , and ammo back the same night in the parking lot. I was LUCKY. They thought I had illegal mags and an unregistered AW and still let me go...
You should not have allowed them to proceed under false pretenses.