Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 1:07 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default You're about to be a felon...

I was at Iron Sights yesterday to run some rounds through my new AR build with my wife. Another Marine came up to me and said,

"They don't care if you use 30 round mags?"

I told him mine were 10/30's that I made. However, the guy next to me said "Oh, I'm just usin' straight up 30 rounders. Is that a California thing or somethin?"

I told him, "Yeeeeeeeeeeeeea, that's a felony...you might not want to use that (in your AR15)".

He finished his rounds and promptly left.

I was completely blown away this guy didn't even care. It's....irresponsible to say the least.

Yea just wanted to bring this to everyone's attention.

If you have any doubts about anything yourself, refer here:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=387409

Update to Thread 5/16/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by musick View Post
...one could come off with the impression that ANY 30rd mag. (or Heavens-to-Betsy a 100rd drum) is not legal in CA. This is simply NOT true as of 04/30/13. I hope Germanelo logs in and edits the OP so as not to unintentionally mislead individuals reading this thread.

Last edited by Germz; 05-16-2013 at 8:34 AM..
Old 04-26-2013, 2:08 AM

Happens all the time. The laws are so confusing people dont even bother to research.
Old 04-26-2013, 2:27 AM
I need a LIFE!!

^^^^This!
Old 04-26-2013, 4:27 AM
Veteran Member

Good thing you got that Devil Dog straightned out!
Old 04-26-2013, 11:59 AM

If he's military, I suppose the cops might have some leniency on him for having to move to a new station and not be able to keep up with the laws. HOWEVER, we all know that ignorance of the law is no excuse.

"Luckily", California has some rather restrictive gun laws; so, I'm usually pretty certain that I'm good to go when I go to another state. That said, I always make it a point to look up the state or local laws, especially regarding transportation of a firearm, prior to making the trip. Sometimes, I even print out the material and keep it in the car. That way, if I made a mistake in my interpretation, I can show the officers what I had read and hopefully they'll see I had made an honest effort to comply.

BK
Old 04-26-2013, 12:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Maybe he had military paperwork allowing his rifle into the state? Was he using a bullet button or regular button? Amazes me how many people jump to conclusions.
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home, let me die in an empty pile of brass.
http://www.huntfishadventures.com/images/nra.gif
NRA Member
Old 04-26-2013, 12:11 PM
In Memoriam

How did you know he was a Marine?
Old 04-26-2013, 4:27 PM

If he didn't respond by saying he has a military Assault Weapons Permit than he probably doesn't know. If I was going to stay in CA longer, I would apply for one. I'm sure I'd get plenty of "Hey you know" comments. I'd laugh.
Old 04-26-2013, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Maybe he had military paperwork allowing his rifle into the state? Was he using a bullet button or regular button? Amazes me how many people jump to conclusions.
This.
Old 04-26-2013, 4:36 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatgunman View Post
I recently Purchased an ar on gunbroker and the dealer I transfered it to told me it was fine to use 30 rounders in it, I just said okay and left, right or wrong I would not do that within the boundries of this state because of what
Ive read on calguns.
Which dealer, if you don't mind.

Quote:
military Assault Weapons Permit
That is a new one on me, but the code is long and confusing.
Old 04-26-2013, 4:59 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
This.

Or maybe he possessed them prior to 1999.
Old 04-26-2013, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0660 View Post
Which dealer, if you don't mind.

That is a new one on me, but the code is long and confusing.
I would generally agree with you. I'd agree with you so much that I was shocked when I found out that I and the vast majority of Marines I know are ignorant of this huge exception

I was watching a three-gun video of a dude rocking 30 rounders dropping magazines like it's going out of style out at Piru, and I hit him up. Same deal...military AWP. I would get mine, but I'm moving to Okinawa for a year. You want to talk about not having gun rights in CA---how about NO personal firearms PERIOD.
Old 04-26-2013, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0660 View Post
How did you know he was a Marine?
I hope that's sarcasm. How about his stupid haircut.
Old 04-30-2013, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanelo View Post
I was at Iron Sights yesterday to run some rounds through my new AR build with my wife. Another Marine came up to me and said,

"They don't care if you use 30 round mags?"

I told him mine were 10/30's that I made. However, the guy next to me said "Oh, I'm just usin' straight up 30 rounders. Is that a California thing or somethin?"

I told him, "Yeeeeeeeeeeeeea, that's a felony...you might not want to use that (in your AR15)".

He finished his rounds and promptly left.

I was completely blown away this guy didn't even care. It's....irresponsible to say the least.

Yea just wanted to bring this to everyone's attention.

If you have any doubts about anything yourself, refer here:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=387409
Maybe I'm missing something. I use 30 round magazines in my AR-15, how is that illegal? I bought them in 1995.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALRaider View Post
I hope that's sarcasm. How about his stupid haircut.
I know several people that are not marines that have marine style haircuts.
Old 04-30-2013, 6:05 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmGuy View Post
Maybe I'm missing something. I use 30 round magazines in my AR-15, how is that illegal? I bought them in 1995.
In your case, its not illegal if you bought/possessed them in CA prior to 2000. Unless there is a post 2000 date stamp on your mags, you are GTG.

As per the link provided by the OP;

"...The age of the magazine and the age of the gun mean nothing. The critical item is possession of the magazine(s) in California before January 1, 2000..."
Old 04-30-2013, 6:07 PM

Quote:
In your case, its not illegal if you bought/possessed them in CA prior to 2000. Unless there is a post 2000 date stamp on your mags, you are GTG.

"...The age of the magazine and the age of the gun mean nothing. The critical item is possession of the magazine(s) in California before January 1, 2000..."
Yep, I read the link. I missed the part where the guy said that he did not buy them prior to January 1, 2000 in California.
Old 04-30-2013, 6:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by durandal View Post
Happens all the time. The laws are so confusing people dont even bother to research.
This is true. I worked at 2 different ranges and alot of people breaking the law did it cause they just don't know the laws.

If you own a gun know the laws.

For the record I never hassled people about the law but instead had alot of people ask me the laws pertaining to the weapon system they were shooting.
Old 04-30-2013, 6:31 PM
CGSSA Associate

For what its worth, I have some concern with the OP by Germanelo.

If you see the thread title (most inflammatory IMO) and read the post w/o clicking the link, one could come off with the impression that ANY 30rd mag. (or Heavens-to-Betsy a 100rd drum) is not legal in CA. This is simply NOT true as of 04/30/13. I hope Germanelo logs in and edits the OP so as not to unintentionally mislead individuals reading this thread.

Last edited by musick; 04-30-2013 at 6:34 PM..
Old 04-30-2013, 6:53 PM

This thread generally consists of ignorance.
Old 04-30-2013, 7:35 PM

Unfortunately that's far to common here in California with such complex and seemingly random laws people are going around every day breaking the law and they don't even realize it. We were just discussing this very thing at our Range Meet on Monday. I mean we need a flow chart to with a 4pt font in order to know if our rifles are legal. Many casual gun owners don't even have a clue.
Old 04-30-2013, 7:54 PM

I've seen it several times at iorn sights and since I'm active duty I obviously possess a few 30rd mags. However I take my 10rd mags to the range for now. I have heard that there is some sort of exemption for military mags but not really interested in finding out the hard way. I'll save the 30's for when I need em or can use them in a free state.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:35 PM

Can't use those 30 rounders on AR-15 with a bullet button regardless of when the mags were purchased/owned. Once put on the bullet button featured rifle, they are no longer "detachable" and you now have an AW. Go featureless or have your permit ready to show.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by durandal View Post
Exactly why many will not follow them laws because they are stupid laws made by stupid politicians.
Old 05-14-2013, 9:53 AM

AGAIN---you can get a Active Duty Assault Weapon Permit; however, there is no sweeping exception that applies to AD Mil---YOU MUST APPLY, BE GRANTED, and CARRY YOUR AWP.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:05 AM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayneak View Post
Can't use those 30 rounders on AR-15 with a bullet button regardless of when the mags were purchased/owned.
I'm not sure many people realize this...

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché
Old 05-14-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual_Shooter View Post
I'm not sure many people realize this...
You can if you have an AWP.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:39 AM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

Quote:
You can if you have an AWP.
Do you need a Bullet Button with an AWP?

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché
Old 05-14-2013, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Oh the FUD is making me crazy! No >10 round mags in bullet button equipped guns, doesn't matter when you got the mag. And, a mag could have been build yesterday, broken into a parts kit, sent into CA legally, and used to rebuild a pre-2000 legally owned regular capacity mag... But, you still can't use it in a bullet button equipped gun (I don't know if the military AWP would allow that but even police with bullet button guns can't use >10 round mags in them). Please read the freaking law before spreading stupidity far and wide.

If you don't like the price of something I am selling please feel free to move along... The market, not you, will determine what it's worth. Thanks!

Last edited by Packy14; 05-14-2013 at 12:54 PM..
Old 05-14-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual_Shooter View Post
Do you need a Bullet Button with an AWP?
No, if you have an AWP, you have a fully functional AR15 that you could have in say Arizona. Hence the words "Assault Weapons Permit". This is why you will see guys like Jamie Franks (was on Top Shot) running around Piru, CA during 3-gun competitions shooting 30 round magazines and doing reloads.

Assault Weapons Permit for Active Duty Military is probably one of the best kept secrets. I don't understand why either...because so many people could be taking advantage of it.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

I just assume at all times, all magazines I see people use in Ca. are completely legal 10 rounders.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:52 AM

STOP SAYING MILITARY EXEMPTION. I hate seeing that phrase. Exemption implies that simply being an AD military member in the state of CA automatically EXEMPTS you from the law. That's not the case. Yes, you can own 30 round magazines just like anyone else in the state---they were issued to you and are government property. No, you cannot use them in your personal AR at the range in CA UNLESS YOU HAVE AN ASSAULT WEAPONS PERMIT---Google is your friend.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dls View Post
I just assume at all times, all magazines I see people use in Ca. are completely legal 10 rounders.
I am legitimately curious to see a confrontation between law enforcement and an Active Duty member in regards to the use of their 30 round magazines though.

Honestly, think of how that's going to play out in the media---Oceanside Police Department arrest Lance Corporal ****kicker for possession of an assault weapon.

I just don't see it...the most I see is that young devil dog getting educated in the law.

I mean we're talking about serious consequences here.

Personally, I think it's stupid we even have to have an AWP. It should be an exemption. Then again it SHOULD be a state that follows the constitution---but we can talk about shoulds all day long.

Furthermore, on the military side of the house...I don't think I've EVER heard a brief in regards to firearms laws...at all...ever.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:57 AM

there is no military exemption!
also, even if you had owned a 30 round magazine prior to 1999 you can not put that magazine into a weapon with a bullet button. the weapon is legal. the magazines are legal. together is a felony. but if you legally acquired a 30 round magazine you can you it in any weapon without a bullet button

Courage is endurance for one moment more…
- Unknown USMC Lieutenant
Old 05-14-2013, 10:58 AM

its like the law for texting while driving.

more people do it post law

more accidents happen post law

and the state loses $$ by enforcing the law wasting our tax dollars
Old 05-14-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I am legitimately curious to see a confrontation between law enforcement and an Active Duty member in regards to the use of their 30 round magazines though.

Honestly, think of how that's going to play out in the media---Oceanside Police Department arrest Lance Corporal ****kicker for possession of an assault weapon.

I just don't see it...the most I see is that young devil dog getting educated in the law.

I mean we're talking about serious consequences here.

Personally, I think it's stupid we even have to have an AWP. It should be an exemption. Then again it SHOULD be a state that follows the constitution---but we can talk about shoulds all day long.
doesnt matter you are in possession of 30 round magazines.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelthetrojan View Post
there is no military exemption!
also, even if you had owned a 30 round magazine prior to 1999 you can not put that magazine into a weapon with a bullet button. the weapon is legal. the magazines are legal. together is a felony. but if you legally acquired a 30 round magazine you can you it in any weapon without a bullet button
No exemption! However, Active Duty Military can get an Assault Weapons Permit if they have the due dilligence to see it through.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
doesnt matter you are in possession of 30 round magazines.
Are you trying to say I can be charged for being in possession of 30 round magazines that were issued to me by the United States Marine Corps?

Last edited by CALRaider; 05-14-2013 at 11:06 AM..
Old 05-14-2013, 11:11 AM

yes if the cop is a dick? yes he can but he wont stop there he will tack on a whole bunch of things. like if you had it in your car. swerving, concealing contraband. which as soon as he finds your 30 rders he now has reasonable doubt to search your home. happened to a friend of mine. army type. hes working on getting everything dropped. the cop didnt show for the first court or something so hes got a light at the end of the tunnel

Old 05-14-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
yes if the cop is a dick? yes he can but he wont stop there he will tack on a whole bunch of things. like if you had it in your car. swerving, concealing contraband. which as soon as he finds your 30 rders he now has reasonable doubt to search your home. happened to a friend of mine. army type. hes working on getting everything dropped. the cop didnt show for the first court or something so hes got a light at the end of the tunnel
My choice of words was poor. I'm sure you can be CHARGED with anything. I can say with a high degree of confidence he will not be convicted unless you're leaving out details.

I can't imagine a situation in which I would find myself in that position, but I'll tell you what---the media would be involved. I hate to sound entitlted, but **** that.