Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 04-24-2013, 4:45 PM

Default Hi POINT.....ANY GOOD??

My kid just text me and told me he went to Turners today and bought a 9mm Hi-Point. I don't know anything about them. They any good? He said he only paid about $180......sounds cheap?
Old 04-24-2013, 4:46 PM

You get what you pay for.
"... You feel the anger thinking of the loved ones you will never see again, and losing your life infuriates your soul. You rage to get to your feet and grab for a weapon, any weapon. Regardless of your race, culture, or religion, you want to die standing, fighting like a warrior, an American, so others won't have to. For those looking for a definition, this is the price of freedom.”

------
SGT Thomas Macpherson KIA 12 OCT 2012
SFC Ryan Savard KIA 13 OCT 2012
"Sine Pari"
Old 04-24-2013, 4:50 PM
Veteran Member

heres a gnarly torture test done on them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbvvurXmAmg

its cheap / accurate
made in the USA
has lifetime warranty

buy one shoot it enjoy it everybody that talks trash about them has not even ever shot one so they are just going by the price and looks or comparing it to their $1,000 dollor handgun
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774_1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764
Old 04-24-2013, 4:53 PM
Banned

Would you wear a $20 helmet? kinda the same bracket.
Old 04-24-2013, 5:00 PM

As long as you don't rely on it to save your life you'll probably be okay with it as a range toy or whatever.
Old 04-24-2013, 5:02 PM
Veteran Member

Ignore the people on here who look down their noses at the hi-point, they obviously never owned one. They shoot fine, they are ugly, but tough.
Old 04-24-2013, 5:03 PM

It works every time you pull the trigger.
Old 04-24-2013, 5:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by geedavell View Post
My kid just text me and told me he went to Turners today and bought a 9mm Hi-Point. I don't know anything about them. They any good? He said he only paid about $180......sounds cheap?
It's as good as a glock for a fraction of the price and without all the ugly.
Old 04-24-2013, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillincody View Post
buy one shoot it enjoy it everybody that talks trash about them has not even ever shot one so they are just going by the price and looks or comparing it to their $1,000 dollor handgun
Those are strong words. I've shot one (repeatedly) and didn't like it- I'll admit I never owned one. It's not comfortable to hold or manipulate, and I experienced repeated jams and failures. For a cheap range plinker I'm sure it's fine. It didn't frustrate me to no end, I just didn't feel it was a quality weapon.

It's also uglier than sin

In the end, if OP's son enjoys it then all is well. I'll shoot one just for funsies, but I wouldn't trust my life to it
"... You feel the anger thinking of the loved ones you will never see again, and losing your life infuriates your soul. You rage to get to your feet and grab for a weapon, any weapon. Regardless of your race, culture, or religion, you want to die standing, fighting like a warrior, an American, so others won't have to. For those looking for a definition, this is the price of freedom.”

------
SGT Thomas Macpherson KIA 12 OCT 2012
SFC Ryan Savard KIA 13 OCT 2012
"Sine Pari"
Old 04-24-2013, 5:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT Loco View Post
Those are strong words. I've shot one (repeatedly) and didn't like it- I'll admit I never owned one. It's not comfortable to hold or manipulate, and I experienced repeated jams and failures. For a cheap range plinker I'm sure it's fine. It didn't frustrate me to no end, I just didn't feel it was a quality weapon.

It's also uglier than sin

In the end, if OP's son enjoys it then all is well. I'll shoot one just for funsies, but I wouldn't trust my life to it
Just a thought, were you limp wristing?

Old 04-24-2013, 5:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have owned the highest end arms for a very long time. Not until recent years I purchased 2 high point from other fellow other CalGunners and do not regret at all. These thing are far from good looking but these things work like a champ. So far so good. Congrats on your sons buy.

“Silence makes cowards out of the best of men” –Abraham Lincoln

Wounded Knee is the prime example of why the Second Amendment exists, and why we shouldn’t be in such a hurry to surrender our Right to Bear Arms.
Without the Second Amendment we have no way to defend ourselves and our families.
Old 04-24-2013, 5:28 PM
Internet Warrior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

This has got to be a troll. Hi-Points are an OK recreational toy for the range. They are so cheap that if you leave them in a parked car, the plastic furnishings will melt.

To top it off, they might have actually beaten Glock on the ugliness factor.
Old 04-24-2013, 5:30 PM
Veteran Member

Since your title is all in caps, here's your answer: NO.

"We are number one, all others are number two or lower." - The Sphinx

"Why does every discussion of culture always degrade into a discussion of burritos?" - GoZoner
Old 04-24-2013, 5:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Old 04-24-2013, 5:31 PM

That's the funny thing. The only complaint I ever hear about Hi Point is that they're ugly.

These things are already tough as nails... If Hi Point would make better looking guns, I bet you their perceived quality would go through the roof.

Old 04-24-2013, 5:33 PM
In Memoriam

any good, yes, no one wants to be on the wrong end of one. I would check it for live fire function, clean it a little, oil the crap out of it, and keep it for a rainy day.

"You get what you pay for" is not something said by the guy you have drawn on.
Old 04-24-2013, 5:35 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
If Hi Point would make better looking guns, I bet you their perceived quality would go through the roof.
Old 04-24-2013, 5:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Old 04-24-2013, 5:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

9 grains of bullseye with and a 3/8" bolt driven in the barrel with a universal AK tool and the thing still shoots...
Old 04-24-2013, 5:51 PM
Calguns Addict

The carbines are cooler than the pistols.

They are heavy and ugly but they work.
Old 04-24-2013, 6:15 PM

I have never owned one, But Ive shot a few that friends owned. They are entry level guns. Both guns that I had shot would eat any ammo fed to them, and were decently accurate. But by necessity they are heavy as a brick, and there are no after market parts or holsters available.
If I owned one and it was dependable I would be happy with it as a nite stand gun, or a range gun. Most people who buy them and find out that they enjoy them will go on to buy better suited guns for their intended use. One good thing about High Point, Is that its still worth about what he paid when he wants something better. Both of my friends have passed theirs on. One to a younger family member, and the other to another GI who couldn't afford more. DR
Old 04-24-2013, 6:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasND View Post
The carbines are cooler than the pistols.

They are heavy and ugly but they work.
agreed on the carbines.

hi-points are good. the problem is you can get a makarov,nagant revolver etc. for about the same price.
Old 04-24-2013, 6:23 PM

I like to think of Hi-Points as the cheap casio watch of the gun world. Would I trust a casio when traveling to a job interview...nope. Would I trust a casio when heading to the airport...not a chance.

Would I trust a Hi-Point with anything but FMJ...nope. Would I trust a Hi-Point with my life...hell no.

But just like a casio, when they don't work well anymore you just go out and buy a new one. A range toy is all you should expect.
Old 04-24-2013, 6:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVth Horseman View Post
Would I trust a Hi-Point with anything but FMJ...nope. Would I trust a Hi-Point with my life...hell no..
You should watch those videos and then get back to me with another gun that will take that abuse.

9 grains of BE in a 9mm with a barrel obstruction is pretty harsh. I use 4.5 grains of BE behind a 230 grain cast for .45 ACP.
Old 04-24-2013, 6:51 PM

thats pretty damn impressive that there was no catastrophic failure on that hi point. a few months ago my brothers kimber blew up from shooting reloads (overloaded probably) and sustained catastrophic damage to the frame and barrel. i still would much rather buy a kimber than hi point obviously, thats impressive though.

" Americans have the right and advantages of being armed, unlike the citizens of other countries who's governments are afraid to trust the people with arms" - James Madison
Old 04-24-2013, 6:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngiotta View Post
That's the funny thing. The only complaint I ever hear about Hi Point is that they're ugly.

These things are already tough as nails... If Hi Point would make better looking guns, I bet you their perceived quality would go through the roof.
Makes you wonder why they don't hire a better designer...

Someone there must like making guns that look like something that came out of Robocop..
The above is not legal advice. It is just something you read from some dude on the internet. It does not reflect the opinion of Calguns.net. If it seems rude it was probably meant to read sarcastically.

Marlin 795 MEGATHREAD Part Deuce
Old 04-24-2013, 7:16 PM

A brick would be more reliable and a lot better looking.
Old 04-24-2013, 7:30 PM

I bought the 9mm carbine when it first came out, my wife bought the 45ACP when it came out.(trust me i wanted a 45) Never had an issue with their products other than i dont use it that much compared to other guns.
Old 04-24-2013, 7:34 PM

I have a Hi Point C9:

Pros: Inexpensive, reliable, accurate as you shoot it, American made, No Questions Asked Lifetime Warranty, built to withstand damage (see torture test videos)

Cons: Strange design (what some may call ugly), ammo picky (only feed it FMJ), not a whole lot of after-market products for it, a pain in the *** to fully field strip and clean

Careful who you get advice from. Some people find it hard to believe that this $170 pistol shoots just as well as their $600 gun, so they get bitter and bash it without even owning or firing them. My Hi Point C9 shoots just as well as my Smith & Wesson M&P40. Unless your son is one of those type who buys for the sake of showing off a popular brand, he should be okay.

Also check out their forum, very helpful and friendly people: http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/

Last edited by Guerrilla Warfare; 04-24-2013 at 7:38 PM..
Old 04-24-2013, 7:42 PM

The looks of the Hi-Point suffers from 1) a desire to keep the manufacturing costs down and 2) the need to put a whole lot of mass somewhere to allow a non-locked-breech pistol to function with cartridges like 9mm, .40 and .45. My guess is that if you tried to make the gun look better you would also end-up making it handle worse.

They may be on to something however. Walther is bringing-out a new pistol, the PPX and it seems to take its styling cues from Hi-Point.

The Truth will set you free, but first it will make you damn mad!

Old Scottish proverb:

If ya' cinna' drive the fooging trook, dinna buy the fooging trook!
Old 04-24-2013, 7:42 PM
Veteran Member

Red face

Sooo
... HOW'D that RINO work out for ya'... AGAIN!
Old 04-24-2013, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
You should watch those videos and then get back to me with another gun that will take that abuse.

9 grains of BE in a 9mm with a barrel obstruction is pretty harsh. I use 4.5 grains of BE behind a 230 grain cast for .45 ACP.
Oh, ive watched 'em. Im not impressed by torture tests, im impressed by flawless functioning and the ability to feed and shoot reliably when it counts the most.

Im not sure what you do to test your guns reliability, but I dont make a habit of packing obstructions in the barrel to test a weapon. I shoot it like I would in a real life or death situation, and the Hi Point fails that test consistently.
Old 04-24-2013, 8:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Oh, ive watched 'em. Im not impressed by torture tests, im impressed by flawless functioning and the ability to feed and shoot reliably when it counts the most.

Im not sure what you do to test your guns reliability, but I dont make a habit of packing obstructions in the barrel to test a weapon. I shoot it like I would in a real life or death situation, and the Hi Point fails that test consistently.
Lulz, what mythical gun is this that flawlessly functions and never fails? Enquiring minds want to know.

ETA, let me guess... a glock?

Last edited by five.five-six; 04-24-2013 at 8:05 PM..
Old 04-24-2013, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
Lulz, what mythical gun is this that flawlessly functions and never fails? Enquiring minds want to know.
My 220 has never failed me, German model from 1994. It'll shoot JHP's, snakeshot, and everything else I feed through it. No malfunctions, just regular maintenance. Works flawlessly during rapid fire, and doesnt choke when dirty. More than I can say about the Hi Point.

I understand everything mechanical will fail at some point, but when It comes to my self preservation id like to minimize that possability in any way I can. Once again, fun range toy, but ive got better options when **** gets serious.
Old 04-24-2013, 8:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
My 220 has never failed me, German model from 1994. It'll shoot JHP's, snakeshot, and everything else I feed through it. No malfunctions, just regular maintenance. Works flawlessly during rapid fire, and doesnt choke when dirty. More than I can say about the Hi Point.

OIC, how many rounds have you put through your 220? How many through your HiPoint?

I ran about 4k through my german p226 and had a few stovepipes. Never had a FTanything with myC9
Old 04-24-2013, 8:55 PM

In another thread about HiPoints I had mentioned that I had a C9 and sold it to fund another gun purchase. The one I owned had a few stove pipes. They stopped after I tweaked the magazine feed lips. The factory magazines are known to give the pistol feeding problems if they are not adjusted right. For the price, HiPoint pistols are great for your BOB, for storing in your boat, camper, trailer, cabin, etc. Places where you dont want any of your other higher priced firearms stored for a long period of time and where there are greater chances of getting broken into and then stolen. For the first time gun buyer, for just a couple hundred dollars more I would recommend buying something of more quality and with better resale value.
Old 04-24-2013, 9:03 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Excellent first firearm

Tell him to get the highpoint carbine to go with it