Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:11 PM

Default Opinions on Oak Tree Gun Club

Opinions on this particular shooting facility? Was thinking of driving up and checking it out this weekend.

How does it compare to West End Gun Club? Although the two are not nearby, both are about equally far from my home.

No holsters at either range, I am imagining. (Does ANYWHERE allow holsters?).

Thanks for the info.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:12 PM

no holster at oak tree but rapid fire is allowed...not sure how it is at the other range you've been to
Old 04-22-2013, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

The fees at Oak Tree is ridiculous.

Drive another 30mins and go to Desert Marksman. Holster all you want.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:18 PM

No commerical/supervised range I am aware of will allow holster/rapid fire by joe public on joe public ranges.

Membership ranges may allow it on certain ranges at certain times, ie not when joe public is around, and may have requirements to be checked out for safety by RSO's, attend/pass some course, etc.

Some public ranges, like Angeles/Oak Tree/Sac Valley, etc., may allow joe public to hire a range separate from the public range for holster/rapid fire/action shooting etc., and may again require a checkout by RSO's for safety if you are unknown to them.

Oak Tree I believe falls into this last category: phone them for conditions/cost/availability.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin0123 View Post
The fees at Oak Tree is ridiculous.

Drive another 30mins and go to Desert Marksman. Holster all you want.
isnt that place membership only?
we were considering going to that place before since you can come anytime...but the only time me and my friend would be available is at night and they dont have lights
Old 04-22-2013, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdeslitx View Post
isnt that place membership only?
we were considering going to that place before since you can come anytime...but the only time me and my friend would be available is at night and they dont have lights
Yes. $100 a year and you never pay per-use fees. Trust me, it works out.

They also hold public range days (check their calender) when anyone can go. Even if you're not a member, you can attend their weekend events (practical rifle, etc) as a non-member, the fees are only slightly higher. If you go, bring a beater car. The roads are washboard dirt/rocks. If you've never been, it could be easy to miss the entrance. On match/public days, there is a gate keeper parked at the entrance.

Alternatively, you could drive another 45mins to Rosamond and go to the boonies in Kern county. You can do pretty much w/e you want. Just don't be an idiot cocking about out there, cuz EMS is a loooong way away.
Old 04-22-2013, 1:57 PM

Anyone looking to get an Oak Tree Gun Club membership? They are going to have buy one get one membership free on memorial day May 27th. I'm looking for someone to go half on it with me so that we can both just pay half price for a membership. Comes out to $125 a person for:

Unlimited Use of Tactical Bay 1
Unlimited Use of Paper Bays 2 & 3
Unlimited Use of Steel Gallery and Speed Plates
Free, Unlimited Use of Handgun Rentals
10% off Oak Tree signature-brand ammunition
Expedited Check-in
Discounted shotgun fees
Family add-ons are available for reduced prices
Old 04-22-2013, 1:57 PM
On Everyone's Ignore List
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

It's more of a pistol & shotgun kind of place. Their rifle range only goes to 100yds. However, if pistol & shotgun is your thing, it's excellent. Gun store was one of the best as of last year and the onsite restaurant is not too bad.

Being north of 60 has definite advantages: I was able to do all my stupid stuff before video cameras, smartphones, utube, and the internet.
Old 04-22-2013, 2:41 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Oaktree has a LOT of nice amenities and VERY nice facilities, that's why the fees are so high. It's the best set up range I've been to in the LA area.
Old 04-22-2013, 2:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

A bit expensive but a nice place.
Has the most amenities of any club I've been to out here.

CGF/SAF/FPC Supporter

"There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Please use in that order.
Old 04-22-2013, 2:49 PM

Oak tree used to be my go to range because they allowed steel case ammo to be shot at their range. I also liked how nice everyone there was and the staff was extremly helpfull. How evert once they stopped allowing steelcase ammo I started going to angeles shooting range as their rifle range goes out 500 or 600 yards and the admission is alot cheaper. I only own long guns though but if I also owned hand guns I probebly would prefer oak tree.
Old 04-22-2013, 3:03 PM

I stopped going there once they changed their ammo restrictions policy.... only miss the cheeseburgers and rapid firing.
Old 04-22-2013, 3:07 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Only range I know with an on-site restaurant and BEER.

Oaktree Range is as close as you're gonna get to a pure, redneck, all-american gun lover paradise, in this Kommiefornia non-free state.

Last edited by HappyCamper781; 04-22-2013 at 3:12 PM..
Old 04-22-2013, 4:03 PM

All very good information fellows. I am planning to drive up and check it out next weekend.
Old 04-22-2013, 4:16 PM

I do rifle/ pistol work at Raahauges every time I go. That includes holster work and transition work.
Old 04-22-2013, 5:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Great range and they offer a 2 for 1 yearly membership a couple times a year. I am up there pretty much once a week to shoot and prefer outdoor compared to some of the indoor ranges, especially with so many new/un-experienced shooters going to the ranges. The range masters have their hands full with some of the people.
"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" [Matt 28:19]

Old 04-23-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyk View Post
Anyone looking to get an Oak Tree Gun Club membership? They are going to have buy one get one membership free on memorial day May 27th. I'm looking for someone to go half on it with me so that we can both just pay half price for a membership. Comes out to $125 a person for:

Unlimited Use of Paper Bays 2 & 3
Unlimited Use of Steel Gallery and Speed Plates
Free, Unlimited Use of Handgun Rentals
10% off Oak Tree signature-brand ammunition
Expedited Check-in
Discounted shotgun fees
Family add-ons are available for reduced prices
Sent you a PM
Old 04-23-2013, 12:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I did a PPT at Oak Tree years ago and was pretty satisfied. Never shot at their range though. The gun shop has some nice items there.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyk View Post
is there any other fees that need to be paid to use the Tac Bay?
looking at the website you need to pay $25 for one of their ROs and im assuming thats not part of the membership.
any other fees?
Would i be able to holster up and shoot? since it might be a good place to do some uspsa practice
Old 04-23-2013, 12:31 PM

You can shoot trap, skeet, and sporting clays. And they have a handgun range with more targets than a Coney Island arcade. Not the best place for rifle shooting. They have a good gun store, serve passable food, and best of all serve beer. It is a little slice of heaven.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:44 PM
On Everyone's Ignore List

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdeslitx View Post
is there any other fees that need to be paid to use the Tac Bay?
looking at the website you need to pay $25 for one of their ROs and im assuming thats not part of the membership.
any other fees?
Would i be able to holster up and shoot? since it might be a good place to do some uspsa practice
That's if you rent it on a private party basis. If it's not reserved, it's open as are the others. Not sure about holster work though, give them a call.

Being north of 60 has definite advantages: I was able to do all my stupid stuff before video cameras, smartphones, utube, and the internet.
Old 04-23-2013, 9:33 PM

Oak Tree is very nice, but also pricey...

That is where my dad and I usually go, it is nice becuase they have just about everything, you can go from shooting rifles, to sporting clays and skeet and trap. Nice restaurant too with pretty good food
Old 04-23-2013, 10:23 PM
Not a Mod
CGN Contributor

Smile

Pricey? No. I pay what you are complaining about for a crappy indoor range in OC.

Awesome, yes. It's a drive to get there from OC - but I get up there when I can. Considering there are no outdoor ranges in OC, I love it. And I love the steel range for pistols. Shooting at metal cowboys, rotating bulls eyes, ect.

You have to drive past all the shottie folks to get down to the pistol range. They are usually stunned and walk all over the road asking to get run over, but I am nice and refrain..

There's even a reloading center next to the pistol range. They have more supplies than I've seen locally, the guy who runs it is a bit, well, umm, distant....

But - Oak Tree is a really nice place.

Last edited by orangeusa; 04-23-2013 at 10:26 PM..
Old 04-23-2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chameleon Loco View Post
Oak Tree used to be my go to range because they allowed steel case ammo to be shot at their range. I also liked how nice everyone there was and the staff was extremely helpful. However, once they stopped allowing steel case ammo I started going to Angeles shooting range as their rifle range goes out 500 or 600 yards and the admission is a lot cheaper. I only own long guns though but if I also owned hand guns I probably would prefer Oak Tree.
For clarification, they have restricted steel jacketed ammo, also known as bi-metal. Steel core has never been allowed there either even though I have seen some people shooting it prior to the bi-metal ban.

I have not shot rifles there since they changed the policy. It's excellent for pistol, but becomes overpriced if you don't take advantage of the paper bays and rifle range. Tons of fun shooting all that steel though!

Angeles has been my go-to range as of recent even though I live about 10 min from Oak Tree.
Old 04-24-2013, 6:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilliams View Post
For clarification, they have restricted steel jacketed ammo, also known as bi-metal. Steel core has never been allowed there either even though I have seen some people shooting it prior to the bi-metal ban.

I have not shot rifles there since they changed the policy. It's excellent for pistol, but becomes overpriced if you don't take advantage of the paper bays and rifle range. Tons of fun shooting all that steel though!

Angeles has been my go-to range as of recent even though I live about 10 min from Oak Tree.
They now also prohibit steel cased ammo..I hardly ever go there anymore

Old 04-24-2013, 6:41 AM

I do not know of any range that allows steel jacketed ammo or for that matter Russian rifle ammo. Since I would not use that crap in my firearms anyway, who cares?
Old 04-24-2013, 9:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangzoom View Post
They now also prohibit steel cased ammo..I hardly ever go there anymore
Well that blows.
Old 04-24-2013, 9:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogervzv View Post
I do not know of any range that allows steel jacketed ammo or for that matter Russian rifle ammo. Since I would not use that crap in my firearms anyway, who cares?
Oak Tree was the last public range in LA County to ban it as far as I am aware.

And who cares? Me and my bank account.
Old 04-24-2013, 9:21 AM

Wish they would extend their rifle range out to at least 150 yds.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:37 AM
Calguns Addict

I HATE oak tree! I knew like 70% of the employees there and still did. My window got broken in the parking lot FAR away from any range. Like broken hole threw it. One of there guys was throwing rocks I guess. They told me to **** off when I brought it up. This is after I did a transfer and my rifle came perfect, upon pick up it was scratched up, case and scope gone! Once again I asked nicely what happened and they told me to **** off again! And on top of that they sold my rifle I had bought there too, paid in FULL. Guess what once again, told me too **** off. Same fat *** employee every time time who calls himself a manager.
Old 05-03-2013, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypriss32 View Post
I HATE oak tree! I knew like 70% of the employees there and still did. My window got broken in the parking lot FAR away from any range. Like broken hole threw it. One of there guys was throwing rocks I guess. They told me to **** off when I brought it up. This is after I did a transfer and my rifle came perfect, upon pick up it was scratched up, case and scope gone! Once again I asked nicely what happened and they told me to **** off again! And on top of that they sold my rifle I had bought there too, paid in FULL. Guess what once again, told me too **** off. Same fat *** employee every time time who calls himself a manager.
Damn thats a horror story, thankfully I've never had that kind of experience there
Old 05-14-2013, 12:31 PM

Default there upcoming sale. I am a member and i love this place

Old 05-14-2013, 12:32 PM

Default front cover

Old 05-15-2013, 7:38 PM

Damn I need to get there early for the PMC ammo..... As for the OP's question, its a great range. Only thing that sucks is that the rifle range is 100 yards and closed on Monday and Tuesday for LEO's . Employees are great from my experience too.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:14 AM
Not a Mod
CGN Contributor

Quote:
So, uhh, you mad bro ?
Old 05-16-2013, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
No commerical/supervised range I am aware of will allow holster/rapid fire by joe public on joe public ranges.

Membership ranges may allow it on certain ranges at certain times, ie not when joe public is around, and may have requirements to be checked out for safety by RSO's, attend/pass some course, etc.

Some public ranges, like Angeles/Oak Tree/Sac Valley, etc., may allow joe public to hire a range separate from the public range for holster/rapid fire/action shooting etc., and may again require a checkout by RSO's for safety if you are unknown to them.

Oak Tree I believe falls into this last category: phone them for conditions/cost/availability.
Raahauges
Holster, steel ammo, rapid fire, All you want
Old 05-16-2013, 9:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofojoe View Post
Raahauges
Holster, steel ammo, rapid fire, All you want
QFT. Raahauge's is my go to place.
Old 05-16-2013, 8:11 PM

Quote:
I am not quite sure about this experience because honestly I doesn't sounds truthful. I have been going to Oak Tree for years. I have had an active membership for years. I buy guns here all the time. Never, not even once, have I found anyone working for Oak tree to be disrespectful or rude. Lets be real, I did have one minor issue with a purchase. In that case, It was a Glock but they only had one mag when it "should" have had two. In this case, they did not have any in so they put some on order for me. Not only did they give me the one the owed me but they gave me an extra one for the hassle, free of charge. I have been to several ranges all over CA and Oak Tree honestly is my favorite. There is no better place to go shooting or buy a gun!

As many have said, their rifle range is only 100YD but if you want to shoot Pistol or Shotgun, there is no better range I have found in SoCal.
Old 05-16-2013, 9:42 PM
CGN Contributor

Pistol and clays at Oaktree and rifles at ASR.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:14 PM
Not a Mod
CGN Contributor

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidget253 View Post
I am not quite sure about this experience because honestly I doesn't sounds truthful. I have been going to Oak Tree for years. I have had an active membership for years. I buy guns here all the time. Never, not even once, have I found anyone working for Oak tree to be disrespectful or rude. Lets be real, I did have one minor issue with a purchase. In that case, It was a Glock but they only had one mag when it "should" have had two. In this case, they did not have any in so they put some on order for me. Not only did they give me the one the owed me but they gave me an extra one for the hassle, free of charge. I have been to several ranges all over CA and Oak Tree honestly is my favorite. There is no better place to go shooting or buy a gun!

As many have said, their rifle range is only 100YD but if you want to shoot Pistol or Shotgun, there is no better range I have found in SoCal.
I've over posted on this thread, but man, I agree 100%. I love the place - am a pistol guy.

They have steel targets in the shape of cowboys, rotating windmills, cool stuff that I wanted to shoot ever since TopShot came out (and of course, OT had it for years). Have done PPT's there 3 times, went to the reloading shop and talked to the, umm, interesting guy.

Compared to the silly indoor ranges in OC, I love the place - IT HAS TREES and stuff! And yes, the folks who work there have a sense of humor, are smart and are pretty danged nice.

What else do you want? I want it to be closer..