Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:53 AM

Default 45 colt hunting load

Hey guys I'm looking for a good hunting load for my "new" vaquero chambered in 45 colt. I have blue dot powder. I have manuals but no access to them. I am looking for advise on which load to use from people who have tried the loads themselves. Any advise is greatly appreciated. I'm not looking for a hot load just a good hunting load.
Old 04-21-2013, 1:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devster55 View Post
Hey guys I'm looking for a good hunting load for my "new" vaquero chambered in 45 colt. I have blue dot powder. I have manuals but no access to them. I am looking for advise on which load to use from people who have tried the loads themselves. Any advise is greatly appreciated. I'm not looking for a hot load just a good hunting load.
You can go on Alliant's website and they list reloading data for many different bullet styles and weights in 45LC using Blue Dot.

Pick a projectile that matches the construction (i.e. jacketed, lead, etc.) and weigh of the bullets you want to load, click to get to the Blue Dot recipe that matches those components. This is a max load, so reduce at least 10% and you are ready to start loading. Blue Dot downloads pretty well, so if you want to reduce by 20% for lighter recoil, it should work pretty well. If you want less recoil than that, maybe move to something like Trailboss.

Good luck, have fun.
Old 04-21-2013, 1:05 PM

Need some boolit info too: wt. and material composition....
Old 04-21-2013, 2:25 PM

I honestly have no idea what to use. I load for my 357 but don't know what performs well or what grn I should use for a hunting rd
Old 04-21-2013, 2:27 PM

I haven't bought any bullets yet. And I can acquire more powder if need be. I need magnum large pistol primers right?
Old 04-21-2013, 2:27 PM
Calguns Addict

TMK the new Vaquero isn't rated for the "ruger/TC" loads. In standard pressure, I've had good luck with 12.6gr of Blue Dot behind a Bear Creek 255 gr. RNFP. My Winchester primers are rated for standard and magnum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dave View Post
I won't.
I sign the dotted line and wrote a blank check to my country (RIP) back in the 1980s payable up to and including my life.
Back then I had a country worth defending, if Russia or China were to invade tomorrow I'll laugh.

Last edited by JagerDog; 04-21-2013 at 2:30 PM..
Old 04-21-2013, 2:29 PM

Yeah I know the standard pressure deal thanks for the load!
Old 04-21-2013, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerDog View Post
.... In standard pressure, I've had good luck with 12.6gr of Blue Dot behind a Bear Creek 255 gr. RNFP. My Winchester primers are rated for standard and magnum.
For BD, the max load is 12.9 gr with 1028 fps (no pressure listed), and the start load is 11.4 gr. From what I see in the manual this 12.6 gr load looks very similar to what I've been loading with unique. the winchester primer, and 250gr/RNFP lead "pinbuster".

Using unique I have gone to 10 gr, which is beyond the recommended max. No issues with the gun, but with the small vaquero grip, it was a chore to hang on to it and still hit poa. I settled back at 9.7 gr (still above the recommended max), but much easier to handle. Mathematically, this is what seems similar to JagerDog's load. I only hunt bowling pins with that load, and at 25 yds, they don't last long.

If you have the BD, do a ladder of test loads with .3 gr increments like 11.7, 12, 12.3, 12.6, and maybe 12.9 if you are adventurous. If your vaq is like mine, you'll know which load works best by the feel of the gun at discharge.
Old 04-21-2013, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofbak View Post
For BD, the max load is 12.9 gr with 1028 fps (no pressure listed), and the start load is 11.4 gr. From what I see in the manual this 12.6 gr load looks very similar to what I've been loading with unique. the winchester primer, and 250gr/RNFP lead "pinbuster".

Using unique I have gone to 10 gr, which is beyond the recommended max. No issues with the gun, but with the small vaquero grip, it was a chore to hang on to it and still hit poa. I settled back at 9.7 gr (still above the recommended max), but much easier to handle. Mathematically, this is what seems similar to JagerDog's load. I only hunt bowling pins with that load, and at 25 yds, they don't last long.

If you have the BD, do a ladder of test loads with .3 gr increments like 11.7, 12, 12.3, 12.6, and maybe 12.9 if you are adventurous. If your vaq is like mine, you'll know which load works best by the feel of the gun at discharge.
Thanks man I appreciate all the info! now Im heading to Rochester NY tomorrow and going to see what gander mtn has in stock there. Hopefully they might have some brass or ammo.
Old 04-21-2013, 6:58 PM
Calguns Addict

I just loaded, but haven't fired 260 Speer JHP with 12,2-13.0 gr Blue Dot. Advertised is 940 fps with max charge. Good reviews on the bullets for hunting. Blue Dot is tough to beat if looking for velocity in 45 Colt with standard pressure.

I'm still working on load development for three 45 Colts. The 12.6 of BD with BC 255 is my only one squared away. I've got some BC 205's loaded up with HP38 as a "plinker" and now the Speer 260 JHP's. Haven't got into the +P loadings to be used only in the Marlin lever and Ruger Blackhawk. I have some Speer 300gr and H110 for that. +P will be in nickel cases as an identifier. The Circuit Judge isn't rated for +P. Except for the plinker I'm sticking to slow burning powders to maximize my velocity gains in the carbines. BD for standard pressure and H110 for +P's.

I'd see no issues approaching max Colt pressures in the Vaquero. It isn't a Blackhawk, but it's for sure stronger than SAA's and the like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dave View Post
I won't.
I sign the dotted line and wrote a blank check to my country (RIP) back in the 1980s payable up to and including my life.
Back then I had a country worth defending, if Russia or China were to invade tomorrow I'll laugh.

Last edited by JagerDog; 04-21-2013 at 7:01 PM..
Old 04-23-2013, 3:45 PM

Does anyone have any leads on some 45 colt brass I would be very grateful for any leads.
Old 04-23-2013, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Does anyone have any leads on some 45 colt brass I would be very grateful for any leads.
No leads on brass, but you might start here some factory stufff to get started-some at 66 cents a round:

http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/45lc/
Old 04-23-2013, 4:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I would just place an order with Starline on their web store. They usually beat their backorder target availability dates they quote, sometimes by a lot. Top quality brass, call it $.20/case new.