Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 04-21-2013, 1:39 AM

Cam Edwards said that he was going to try to get this kid and his dad on his show next week.

Cam also said that anyone who has this happens to contact the NRA through http://www.nradefensefund.org/home.aspx

He said that the NRA has fought this battle before and won.
Old 04-21-2013, 1:45 PM
Calguns Addict

I would have been in serious trouble if I grew up today. My favorite shirt during 5th grade was "Donner Party Memorial""Who's for lunch?".
"The cases will publish forever the discouraging truth that the Supreme Court of the United States favors some laws over others, and is prepared to do whatever it takes to uphold and assist its favorites."
-Anton Scalia, Supreme Court Justice
Old 04-21-2013, 4:46 PM

The story actually got a little attention on the national media...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...chool/2101661/
Old 04-21-2013, 7:06 PM
Libertatem Vivit Hic
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Lawyer meeting with principal Monday. Take bets on suspension being lifted/reversed and all charges dropped by school? Hehe.

Disclaimer:
Any posts by me are intended to be for informational purposes only and are not legal advice. No attorney/client relationship is formed.
Old 04-21-2013, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaisa
I wonder if the NRA will help this family out

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittty View Post
I expect them to. It's their shirt!
The shirt is from Buckwear, is that an NRA product?

It's actually a cool looking shirt.

Last edited by letsgosteelers; 04-21-2013 at 9:39 PM..
Old 04-21-2013, 10:00 PM

My feeling is if the school wants to limit what students wear they need to have uniforms, otherwise STFU.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:40 PM
In Memoriam
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Anyone have a good address for this kid? I have a couple of firearm t-shirts I think he'd appreciate.

If nothing else I'll just send it to his name & city, my guess is it will get to him somehow.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:46 AM

My High School mascot holds a rifle and is depicted many times throughout the school and on school apparel holding a rifle. Also various school logos feature twin crossed rifles.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

Things are getting out of hand. I cannot believe the school system gets away with all this crap.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Si vis pacem, para bellum

╠╦═╬ Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a store, not a government agency.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:43 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammich View Post
I would guess that 95% of the people wearing the Che, Lenin and Marx shirts are doing so as a fashion statement and have no clue who they are.
Free speech and a Che t shirt are contradictory.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by em9sredbeam View Post
Things are getting out of hand. I cannot believe the school system gets away with all this crap.
And why not? The school admin / faculty were themselves brainwashed years ago. Who *wants* to teach high school anyway? If you were set on an academic career, the first choice is universities. Only those without fortitude for a PhD go for high school teaching. And honestly, no one wants an academic career anyway. The pay is sh_t. My tenured professors (aside from the about to retire ones) make less than I do.

Given all that mental trauma, I'm not surprised they lashed out on the easiest target: students.
Old 04-23-2013, 4:25 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherryj View Post
I would have been in serious trouble if I grew up today. My favorite shirt during 5th grade was "Donner Party Memorial""Who's for lunch?".

Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Man that was some great Kool-Aid.......... hmmmmmm theres a hint of something metallic. Oh well guess I will get on with the voting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTp View Post
So if you do ban me you will hear from my lawyer as to why you think you can violate peoples civil rights
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosinnagantm9130 View Post
Oh for ****s sake, now there are two of them.This is the type of **** anti's point to when they want to make us all look crazy.
Old 04-23-2013, 8:18 AM

Do private institutions have the same agenda?
Old 04-23-2013, 8:28 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokieBear View Post
If I recall about 3 years back some students were suspended in a cali school for wearing American flag tees.....
On Cesar Chavez's birthday...
Old 04-23-2013, 8:29 AM

When I went to school that they did not allow sleeveless shirts. The picture I saw the kids shirt was sleeveless. Looks like you no longer have to dress respectfully anymore. Just let them wear what ever they want, who cares about being respectful. Getting arrested was over board unless the kid was being threatening, but we will never know the truth of how it really happened. All I know is people are being less respectful every day and it is stuff like this that proves it.
Old 04-23-2013, 9:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgosteelers View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaisa
I wonder if the NRA will help this family out

The shirt is from Buckwear, is that an NRA product?

It's actually a cool looking shirt.

Yesterday on Cam & Company, reporter Ginny Simone mentioned that the kid went back to school and a bunch of other kids all wore the same shirt in support.

It sounded like Cam & Company was going to try to get the kid and his dad on the show (probably after the lawyers get the charges removed from the kid's record, etc.).
Old 04-23-2013, 9:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
When I went to school that they did not allow sleeveless shirts. The picture I saw the kids shirt was sleeveless. Looks like you no longer have to dress respectfully anymore.
Dress code in public schools has been pretty loose for a long time. Im not sure who you are disrespecting by wearing a sleeveless shirt though unless you are going somewhere that formal or semi-formal dress is expected (wedding, funeral, church, court, work, etc.). If you are suggesting its disrespectful to the teacher, is the ability of a student to focus and learn somehow lessened by their sleeveless shirt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
All I know is people are being less respectful every day and it is stuff like this that proves it.
I agree, its pretty disrespectful for the teacher to single out a student wearing a dress code acceptable shirt and attempting to use their position of authority to force their own views on the students.

Last edited by Hoooper; 04-23-2013 at 9:47 AM..
Old 04-23-2013, 9:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoetarga View Post
On Cesar Chavez's birthday...
are you trying to say that they deserved it because of this?
Old 04-23-2013, 9:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaGuy View Post
Yesterday on Cam & Company, reporter Ginny Simone mentioned that the kid went back to school and a bunch of other kids all wore the same shirt in support.
http://news.yahoo.com/eighth-grader-...130218866.html

Link to that story
Old 04-23-2013, 10:33 AM
Calguns Addict

If you want to get vocal:
Logan Middle School
(304) 752-1804

Just called and asked if the teacher was suspended yet (no comment).

Maybe someone else can ask about the statue out front

"Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
, in a letter to his nephew Peter Carr dated August 19, 1785
Old 04-23-2013, 12:55 PM

I like how these leftists promote tolerance and acceptance, but at the same time are prejudice against anyone who doesn't think the same as them. This story is a pure example of that.
Old 04-23-2013, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .30-06 View Post
I like how these leftists promote tolerance and acceptance, but at the same time are prejudice against anyone who doesn't think the same as them. This story is a pure example of that.
I like to say that they are so tolerant, they can even tolerate themselves being intolerant of you
Old 04-23-2013, 1:24 PM

This is a great example of why I support school uniforms. I'm kinda tired of schools being the place for anything other than core fundamentals (the old RR&R). Enough with the dam political and ideological t-shirts from both sides. Just creates crap at school for everyone, those that agree and those that disagree. How bout kids just go to school to study and not worry about anything but school work. Stop with the t-shirts advocating gay rights, illegal immigration, guns or whatever arguments and actually spend time learning about the Bill of Rights. You dont need a damn T-shirt at school to do that.

Participating in a gun "buy back" because you believe that the
criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because
you believe that the neighbors have too many kids.
Old 04-23-2013, 2:09 PM
Veteran Member

School uniforms are expensive for one. And as soon as these kids attend college to actually learn something they are going to be expressing themselves on all possible inflammatory subjects so why suppress them in there early teens.
Old 04-23-2013, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by battleship View Post
School uniforms are expensive for one. And as soon as these kids attend college to actually learn something they are going to be expressing themselves on all possible inflammatory subjects so why suppress them in there early teens.
Well first of all, the same $15 - $20 that some of these T-shirts cost will buy you a solid colored , no pocket, collared shirt which is what most school uniforms are so the cost issue is really minimal. Same for cost of pants vs jeans. The reason why we want to "suppress" them in the early teens is because they need to spend time learning and less time fooking around with politics which is what all this stuff ends up being at school. No wonder we have so many dumbazz kids, they spend more time at schools doing everthing else except school work.

Old 04-23-2013, 2:32 PM

I feel like Freedom of Speech should be able to apply to all Americans. Even children. Are you only an American citizen protected by the constitution if you're over 18?
Old 04-23-2013, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadWhiteGoose View Post
I feel like Freedom of Speech should be able to apply to all Americans. Even children. Are you only an American citizen protected by the constitution if you're over 18?
pleaseeee, no wonder our schools are screwed. No I don't believe in freedom of speech for a bunch of k-12 kids who should be going to school to listen, ask questions and study. I dont believe teachers and administrators should be there spewing their personal political garbage either. Lets cut the freedom of speech crap and really focus on what a school should really be. It is not a free for all for teacher numnuts and little numnuts to go and scream about gay rights, abortion, welfare, illegal immigration, and gun rights or whatever "right" all day. This is why we are ending up with so many people who need handouts from the government instead of smart, educated people who are prepared to enter the work force and take care of themselves.

Old 04-23-2013, 3:00 PM

Great, so you support turning the K-12 school system into a prison where all must conform. That's sure to teach children to be freedom-loving individuals who can think for themselves once they exit the system. Not. Your method is only going to create generations of children who are used to being controlled by authoritarians and statists.
Old 04-23-2013, 3:10 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raystonn View Post
Great, so you support turning the K-12 school system into a prison where all must conform. That's sure to teach children to be freedom-loving individuals who can think for themselves once they exit the system. Not. Your method is only going to create generations of children who are used to being controlled by authoritarians and statists.
Im in support of turning our schools into places where children are disciplined, taught the three r's and are held accountable. This is why I personally sacrifice other things in my life like driving a 13 year old truck with 250K miles and living within my means so that I can scrape together enough money each month to pay for tuition for my kids to attend a private school that focuses on the basics and doesn't allow a few big mouth, narcissistic kids to takeover the school classroom for the day with whatever little personal agenda they have. Please, by all means, send your kids to a school where t-shirt slogans and arguments about political issues dominate the day and ill send mine to a school where they concentrate on academics and leave the political "t-shirt" discussions to the parents. After all, my kids will need to hire laborers for their businesses in the future. Just remind them though that t-shirts are not an approved work uniform item.

Old 04-23-2013, 3:14 PM

Your children will be receiving instruction on the basics of reading, writing, and arithmetic. I fully support that. But I also think our children need to be taught to think for themselves and protect their rights, and when to do these things. Raising children in a bubble means you will have to find a way to teach them these things without the lab of a school campus for experimentation. They will thus be left experimenting on you at home. You want this?
Old 04-23-2013, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raystonn View Post
Your children will be receiving instruction on the basics of reading, writing, and arithmetic. I fully support that. But I also think our children need to be taught to think for themselves and protect their rights, and when to do these things. Raising children in a bubble means you will have to find a way to teach them these things without the lab of a school campus for experimentation. They will thus be left experimenting on you at home. You want this?
I want schools to be schools and not hangouts to argue about crap that will not help them learn a marketable trade or gain an academic foundation that will serve them well in college. Part of the downfall we are experiencing in society is due to the move away from a disciplined, focused, self-responsible educational system to the current social, political, everyone gets a trophy, lets feed your kids three meals a day indoctrination camps that most public schools now are. This belief that kids in K-12 have the same ability to process and critically think in regards to such political and ideological subjects to the degree that this is more important than anything else is ludicrous. These little narcissistic azzhats with the cute t-shirts that show up at school and want everything to be about them or their cause should be told to sit down and shut the f up or get out so the other kids who really want to learn can.

Old 04-23-2013, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnigan View Post
This belief that kids in K-12 have the same ability to process and critically think in regards to such political and ideological subjects to the degree that this is more important than anything else is ludicrous.
First off, kids aren't born with the skills to process the information and think critically. That is why I support teaching them these skills in school. Where else are they going to learn them? You seem to think because kids aren't proficient at critical thinking and politics that they shouldn't be allowed to try to use them. You can only learn so much reading a book. At some point you need to start using the skills to further improve.

Second, noone said these skills are "more important than anything else." That is a straw man argument, which I'm sure you will appreciate is a fallacy. These skills don't need to be more important than anything else to have a place at school in the educational process.
Old 04-23-2013, 3:58 PM

Thats the beauty of the freedom to choose. You send your kids to schools where they spend their days arguing over "rights" (that they know nothing about) based on t-shirt slogans and Ill send mine to schools that actually spend their time on academics and actually learning about the constitution in a classroom. There are plenty of opportunities outside of school to allow a kid to "express" their views regarding their rights. Fundamentally, I believe schools are not the place for free-for-all political/ideological discussions at the expense of academic instruction. You can have the schools that encourage t-shirt slogan discussions and Ill take the old fashion stick to the academics curriculum.

Old 04-23-2013, 4:10 PM

Ok, so rather than debate the best way to teach critical thinking skills and politics, you'd rather just say you prefer another school that does it your way. That's fine. But taking pot shots at another school's method from the safety of your own school without being willing to debate methodology isn't going to convince anyone that your school's method is better.
Old 04-23-2013, 4:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
I want schools to be schools and not hangouts to argue about crap that will not help them learn a marketable trade or gain an academic foundation that will serve them well in college.
You sound just like the school board that refused to allocate funds to buy personal computers for my high school because they believed computers were just a passing fad. Good thing they didn't ban those worthless computer classes outright and fundraisers bought 5 computers for 25 kids in the class.

It sounds more like you want schools to become military style bootcamps where individuality and free thought are condemned.
Old 04-23-2013, 4:33 PM

Quote:
This is a great example of why I support school uniforms. I'm kinda tired of schools being the place for anything other than core fundamentals (the old RR&R). Enough with the dam political and ideological t-shirts from both sides. Just creates crap at school for everyone, those that agree and those that disagree. How bout kids just go to school to study and not worry about anything but school work. Stop with the t-shirts advocating gay rights, illegal immigration, guns or whatever arguments and actually spend time learning about the Bill of Rights. You dont need a damn T-shirt at school to do that.
hate to break it to you but most studies have shown that environmental factors such as this typically only have short term effects on people where as the innate ability to try or not try, express or not express, etc. are usually what determines what a person will do with themselves in the long run.

i.e. - when geniuses adopt/raise mentally challenged children, the mentally challenged child is really smart compared to the other mentally challenged children. but later in life, they end up averaging out. same vice versa, genius children raised by bad parents usually won't do well early in life, but if they have the desire to live up to societal standards of intelligent, they are able to do so and usually excel over those who are average/above average but brought up in an environment that fostered growth. granted, if someone's innate desires lie elsewhere, they will often end up at that elsewhere, whether it be where they want to live, what they want to do, etc.

that and i'd want a child to learn how to ignore crap, think for themselves, and know when people are trying to manipulate or bend their thoughts early on when things are relatively inconsequential, not when things are more serious in adult life.

with that being said, i totally agree with you when you say that schools are for teaching critical thinking and curriculum first and foremost, not hearing about random opinions, even if i agree with said random opinions.

Last edited by penguinofsleep; 04-23-2013 at 4:40 PM..
Old 04-23-2013, 4:38 PM

suspended and arrested is pretty bs though. at most, i could see the school asking him to change into sleeved shirt (my school didn't allow sleeveless either).
Old 04-23-2013, 5:17 PM

As an adult, you must figure out how to succeed in the face of work requirements and social distractions. Children should get experience in this before heading out to college, when parents can assist the learning process. It should not be the entirety of the learning experience. But it should not be eliminated completely either.

As far as school dress code, for better or worse, his school had no uniform. The teacher could have worn an anti-2A shirt if she wished to express her opinion. Instead, she chose to suppress anothers'. One of these would have been protected speech. The other violated protected speed. That teacher chose incorrectly.
Old 04-23-2013, 5:27 PM

Look at it this way: by suspending a teenager for wearing the NRA T-shirt they probably just made it the coolest T-shirt to wear. Teens would NEVER think "he got suspended for wearing an NRA shirt I can completely understand why that happened and will make sure I do as I'm told because the adults running the school know what's best for me."
Old 04-24-2013, 4:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by .30-06 View Post

Actually low turn outs favor better candidates .
Last election there was a line to get in .I finally got into the booth and voted.

Guess what ? When I was finished ,these same drones were still there! They had no idea of what they were voting for.
Imagine the mentality of someone who makes up his mind in The booth.

At times I compliment folks on not voting ! Of they have no knowledge what should they waste their time and worse ,cancell an educated vote!