Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 04-19-2013, 9:12 AM

Default Leupold Mark AR 3-9 vs Leupold VXR

Anyone with experience with any of these optics? I'm ready to pull the trigger and can't decide between the Mark AR or the VXR. I only plan to shoot xm855 or xm193 out to 300 yards so I think 3-9 is enough. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 04-19-2013, 9:18 AM

Vxr is a great scope for shooting fast and to mid range.
Its really a different tool than the 3-9. The vxr is cqb to mid rang. For use on further,
Perhaps smaller targets,
The 3-9 may be a better choice.. The 3-9 is a great scope to, just for a different purpose. Its really going to make hits at 4-6 a lot easier, at the expense of closer stuff.
Really depends on the mission profile as to which to select.

Last edited by cowboyup; 04-19-2013 at 9:21 AM..
Old 04-19-2013, 9:28 AM

Thanks for the input. I'm looking to get 3-9 optic which ever model I get. Just curios to see if the vxr is any better than the mark AR as far as clarity, durability, and performance. I wish I can LOL through both before I purchase. Haha.
Old 04-20-2013, 5:19 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I am still waiting to get time to do a proper review of my VX-R. I only posted a "box opening" type review. I included some pics of the scope and ridicule.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=690418

I did the calculations on bullet drop within the center circle, basically using 55gr-62gr .223 out of a 16" 1/8 twist, zeroed at 50 yards all medium ranged shots are going to hit inside of 1.5MOA (+ any error from wind and skill). The VX-R isnt a scope for the guy looking to put 5 shots into 1 hole,... just 5 shots and hit all 5 times within an inch or two of each other. The reason I say this is due to the dials. For bench work they are fine, but out hunting you are not going to have the time to unscrew the cap, make your calculations, dope the crosshairs and fire. Sure its done, but the Leupold P5 dials are a better way to go of you are the type of guy who only wants to pull the trigger on a target in the crosshairs.

If you hunt medium range (under 200 yards) you don't need to dope the scope every shot. As long as your shot is inside the center ring, and you know your ridicule, your target is hit. I think the VX-R is a good compromise between tactical & bench. If you want to sit at a bench, dope the scope and hit that sub-MOA group, you can. Also if you dont need to be twisting dials and making calculations in the field, you are not paying for dials you will not use.

I really wrestled with buying the VX-R Patrol with the P5 dials, but came to the realization I will never use them, so the extra $100 was not worth it. I went with the Standard VX-R. I also looked at the Mark AR, but I wanted something in a 30mm body. I was told, (which this maybe complete BS) that a 1" body is a bright light scope only. The dim light of dusk, dawn or even very cloudy days can cause a poor light gathering effect in a 1" body scope without a larger objective lens. If you are looking at the 3-9X this may not effect you since they have larger objective lens to account for this.

Last edited by dieselpower; 04-20-2013 at 5:39 AM..
Old 04-20-2013, 7:10 AM

Awesome write up Diesel! I think your right. My range only goes out to 300 yards so I don't plan on tinkering with dials and making calculations. I just want to zero one time as leave it alone. I've read the same regarding 30mm vs 1 in tubes and it makes sense. I think I'm gonna go with the VXR.
Old 04-20-2013, 7:37 PM

You really don't need more than 4-5x magnification at most to shoot out to 300 yards, especially with an AR. Heck, you (at least I can) can shoot MOA to further than that with irons.

IMHO a 1-4 or 5x is all you really want on an AR unless you are trying to do varminting at 400+. 3x minimum mag is way too much for CQ and close range (under 75 yards) and a true 1x low end is way handier at close in. I have proved it over and over that you can shoot the same group size at 200 yards at 3x mag as you can with 10x, it just takes longer to do so at 10x because all you are really doing is magnifying the wobble, not increasing the hold accuracy. More mag just makes you spend more time dressing up the shot needlessly.

Just my .0195, but YMMV

Last edited by GeoffLinder; 04-20-2013 at 7:40 PM..
Old 04-21-2013, 10:10 AM

Theabks Geoff! It's not really so much that I want to set up my AR for CQ. I was thinking 3-9 just so I can bring the target in closer.

Is there a big difference with clarity between the Mark AR and VXR? If there is I'll spend the extra cash for the VXR.
Old 04-21-2013, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL-PRINCE View Post
Theabks Geoff! It's not really so much that I want to set up my AR for CQ. I was thinking 3-9 just so I can bring the target in closer.

Is there a big difference with clarity between the Mark AR and VXR? If there is I'll spend the extra cash for the VXR.
They are probably equally crisp but I have only looked through the Mark AR's so I cannot say for sure. Extra bux usually means a little better optics quality.

I still say 3-9x is too much mag for an AR.

The 1.25-4x will be a better choice for an AR IMHO unless you are shooting rodents at 300 yards.

http://www.leupold.com/tactical/scop...5-4x20mm-30mm/
Old 04-21-2013, 4:59 PM

I have a 1.25x4 VXR Patrol and for what it's worth, I find that a varialbe at this power range is about useless. I really like the quality...glass is very good, excellent eyebox, very solid, but you can't use the 1x as a useful CQB because of the need to still find the eyebox and relief. I find myself just leaving the thing on 4X in which case, "tactical" knobs are rather pointless. It's basically a 4X scope with a nice reticle. Set it and forget it. I have mine on a 16" AR10 SASS but it's a custom that shoots sub moa and 4x really doesn't do the rifle justice. It makes shooting soda cans at 250yds easy, but the rifle is far more capable than that. I might switch this to one of myt AR15's but it still doesn't change the uselessness of the variable power. For up to about 250 yds I think I'd rather have a fixed 4x like an ACOG with a small reflex on top for close up. If you plan on shooting more than 250, then I'd say at least a 3x9 is more appropriate.
JMO
Old 04-21-2013, 5:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9-12 View Post
I have a 1.25x4 VXR Patrol and for what it's worth, I find that a varialbe at this power range is about useless. I really like the quality...glass is very good, excellent eyebox, very solid, but you can't use the 1x as a useful CQB because of the need to still find the eyebox and relief. I find myself just leaving the thing on 4X in which case, "tactical" knobs are rather pointless. It's basically a 4X scope with a nice reticle. Set it and forget it. I have mine on a 16" AR10 SASS but it's a custom that shoots sub moa and 4x really doesn't do the rifle justice. It makes shooting soda cans at 250yds easy, but the rifle is far more capable than that. I might switch this to one of myt AR15's but it still doesn't change the uselessness of the variable power. For up to about 250 yds I think I'd rather have a fixed 4x like an ACOG with a small reflex on top for close up. If you plan on shooting more than 250, then I'd say at least a 3x9 is more appropriate.
JMO

I agree to a point, if you are looking for a CQB optic a 1-4X isnt going to do it as well as a RDS/Reflex, its just like a RDS/reflex isnt going to be as good as a 4X at 300 yards.

As a small game hunter I like the 1.25 for close range work. Keep both eyes open and follow the game when you need to focus, just close one eye...or just pull the trigger. If I'm hungry, I'm going for more meat and a head shot, for sport I'm just blasting away.
Old 04-21-2013, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpower View Post
I agree to a point, if you are looking for a CQB optic a 1-4X isnt going to do it as well as a RDS/Reflex, its just like a RDS/reflex isnt going to be as good as a 4X at 300 yards.

As a small game hunter I like the 1.25 for close range work. Keep both eyes open and follow the game when you need to focus, just close one eye...or just pull the trigger. If I'm hungry, I'm going for more meat and a head shot, for sport I'm just blasting away.
I can do that with open sights.
Old 04-21-2013, 6:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9-12 View Post
I can do that with open sights.
yup...LOL I am still deciding on whether or not to get a BUIS system for my rifle. I really don't see the Leupold failing on me. I may get a cheap Magpul PTS system for the back pocket...LOL
Old 04-21-2013, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpower View Post
yup...LOL I am still deciding on whether or not to get a BUIS system for my rifle. I really don't see the Leupold failing on me. I may get a cheap Magpul PTS system for the back pocket...LOL
Well don't get me wrong...I really like my Patrol. It's a stout scope, very solid and I really like the lit reticle. Great value IMO. I just think there is a little "monkey see, monkey do" with these 1x4's or even 1.25x4's and I wanted to throw out a few legitimate "cons".
I only have one AR without a BUIS. It's a dedicated long range AR10.
Old 04-21-2013, 8:23 PM

I agree that a true 1x is best for up close stuff, but truthfully, I think irons on the handguard is better for point-blank stuff anyway, just cant the rifle and go to work.

If you want an optic that allows true 1x work with both eyes open AND you want Leupold, then something like the CQT is the way to go, but now were talking the price-tag of an ACOG.
http://www.leupold.com/tactical/scop...t-riflescopes/

The Burris 1-4x LPV's are a better price-point for a true 1x alternative.

There is the MTAC for $400
https://www.primaryarms.com/Burris_M...p/bu200437.htm

And the XTR for $700
https://www.primaryarms.com/Burris_1...p/bu201904.htm
Old 04-21-2013, 10:09 PM

hey guys

Good thread! Has anyone considered the leopold VXR HOG? Mount a Burris fast fire for real quick CQB target ACQ and the 2X7 should take care of the rest.

Mind you I do not have this setup yet, but I am also torn between 1X4 and the combo I mentioned above.

"I've traveled the world, seen the best and worst of humanity. I've learned that religion, race, ethnicity mean nothing when it comes to good vs evil men. I've seen good and bad among all types. As a result, I do not see race/color- I only see acu digital, od green and coyote brown".
Old 04-22-2013, 8:51 AM

Thanks for all the input. I used to be able to hit the 300 yard targets when I was active duty so I understand that 3-9 is overkill for my purpose. I already have an aimpoint pro on another AR so I don't have a need for a 1-4. Plus, the 300 yard target at SD rod and gun club is hard for me to see now with an aimpoint. I guess ill still stick to the 3-9 so I have the option to go out further if the opportunity ever comes up.

A 1-4 option with a mini red dot sight seems to cumbersome to me. I don't have experience with this type of set up but it just seems to busy. I guess if you train and get comfortable with it any set up it should be effective.
Old 04-25-2013, 6:50 PM

Leupold zombie scope is another good choice. The green dot is great. I can live without the zombie theme, but the green dot rocks.