Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:12 PM

Default I shot a Steel Challenge with my Revolver (Video)

I shot the Luht Steel Challenge at Raahauge's last Sunday. I have done this match several times with my M&P45 but decided to shoot this match with my revolver instead. It was so much fun! I used a Ruger GP 100 with a six inch barrel. I fired 38ís instead of the 357ís for economic reasons.

Since I only had six rounds and there are five targets per string, I went much slower than usual and switched off between firing single and double action. The video is of the second of eight stages. For some reason my camera malfunctioned and this is the only stage I was able to record. On the later stages I was firing much more double action and moving faster.

Here a link to the video of the five strings on the second stage;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL-tQV9-7YE

This match is a lot of fun and I highly recommend it to anyone. For more info on the match check out luht.org

www.CaliforniaFishingHoles.com Your guide to the best fishing holes in California.

www.facebook.com/CaliforniaFishingHoles
Old 04-20-2013, 6:23 PM
Veteran Member

It's amazing how much you can step up and fire that wheelgun on your final string since the worst one is usually thrown out.. sometimes you might even rip a good stage and get rid of a much worse "slow-precise" run.. Shooting a wheelgun also makes you very focused and deliberate.. you will find that it will help you shoot the bottom feeders after a while.
Old 04-20-2013, 7:52 PM

I love shooting revo's in steel challenge too, much more fun knowing you can only miss once.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:14 PM

I really enjoyed shooting the revolver there and plan to do it again. I was slow, but I have not practiced firing and transitioning with that gun at all, and I was drawing from a thumb snap holster.

I plan on doing a little more work to the gun like a fiber optic front site and putting a set screw in to limit over travel. I have already swapped the trigger return and hammer spring to lighter spring, but I plan to play a little more with different springs to see how I like it. I have also already done some polishing and smoothing of the trigger components.

I shot the match in 305 seconds which is slower than normal. I normally shoot it just under 200 seconds with my semi's. I found that I was much more deliberate knowing that I could only miss once per string and I shot most strings without missing.

www.CaliforniaFishingHoles.com Your guide to the best fishing holes in California.

www.facebook.com/CaliforniaFishingHoles