Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 04-14-2013, 7:03 PM

Default Review: NV CCW Training from tacticalwest.com

Here' a brief rundown of the CCW course I took this weekend from tacticalwest.com at the Bass Pro Shops, Las Vegas NV. A friend (not on calguns) and I decided to spend our Saturday at this course during an already planned trip to Vegas, plus we've been discussing concealed carry for a long time, and I'm strongly considering a move out of CA to boot.

The class provides the necessary classroom instruction, and live fire qualification in order to get a resident, or non-resident permit for NV. This training also is good for AZ and FL, and then you can get Utah with another 1.5 hours of instruction, also offered by tacticalwest

The class had 8 participants, three of us from CA, one from IL, the rest from NV. The course started at 9am, and we had a couple hours of classroom instruction with both lecture and NRA produced firearms videos. We had a large packet of hardcopy material that we followed along with as well. In this packet, was the NV CCW application form. Mid-day, we went to the range for live fire qualification. I asked ahead about using my own reloads, and was told it was ok - but Bass Pro gave me a little crap about it, their policy is no-reloads on their range, but they inspected my ammo and gave me the thumbs up.

Course of fire was 18 rounds at 3 yards, with no more than 6 rounds per mag, 6 round single handed, and the remaining 12 two handed. Then another 18 rounds at 5yrds, and last 18 rounds all two-handed at 7 yrds. You and fire at any speed you like. You have to get at least 40 in the 8 ring or better, which for anyone with even modest training with their handgun should qualify easily with. I was using my S&W Shield in .40cal - for Nevada, you qualify with either a semi-auto or revolver, or both. Doesn't matter beyond that.

Afternoon was back in the classroom, and at around 5pm we started prepping for the written exam. The exam had two parts, the first was for the ccw, and had about 40 multiple choice questions - then there was a 20 question test based on NRA safety material, which if you've been paying attention in class is quite simple, I got 100% as did my buddy. Only the first part was for the ccw. I don't recall how many you could get wrong and still pass.

At the end of the day, we had our forms signed off for NV - the process is you take the now approved/stamped application to the Sheriff's office in person M-F, show ID, get fingerprinted, and your permit is issued within 120 days. You can photocopy your instruction certificate and use that for AZ and FL applications as well (forms avaialble online and can be mailed in). Last, we asked Keith (the instructor) about UT - which was listed in their website, and he said we could stay and do the additional 1.5 hours. he had advised during the day that utah does'nt give you anything above getting a FL CCW, which is true, but states can change their laws at anytime, and reciprocity is always subject to change, so my friend and I were the only two that stayed for the additional 90 mins for UT - and we have our approved UT CCW forms ready to submit (also can be done via mail).

There were two guys in class, one from CA, one from NV who did not appear to me to be qualifed to get a CCW - they asked bizarre questions in class, had trouble understanding some of the rationale behind certain instruction/rules/best-pratices, and sure enough, one did not pass, the other guy squeaked by.

I'll be submitting my NV application Monday morning and will report back how long it, the AZ, FL and UT permits take.

Last edited by repomanNWP; 04-15-2013 at 2:18 PM..
Old 04-14-2013, 7:24 PM

Congrats & hope you do get to escape like you hope to do.

Lee