Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 04-18-2016, 7:33 AM

Default What if? Are you ready?

Being this is a California forum you had better consider this. For that matter earthquakes can occur anywhere in the country, remember New Madrid!

So here is the scenario:

Three seconds after your read this thread a large quake hits your area. The rolling and shaking lasts 45 seconds and it was a 7.5 on the Richter scale. Of course you don't know it was a 7.5 because your electricity is off. Water mains somewhere are broken and you have no water pressure. Your gas line is broken and you have no natural gas for heating/cooking/hot water. You go to call the electric company but your phone line is dead. Grab your cell phone but the circuits are jammed and you can not make a call. Your home has several cracks, perhaps some damage but is still habitable. You walk outside and you can see that there are some fires burning, fortunately not in your immediate area. Sirens are blaring all around.

How much water do you have NOW? How many days do you think it will last? What will you do for a toilet?

What is your food supply? How will you cook it? Do you have a camp stove or other means of cooking? How long will you survive on the food in your house RIGHT NOW? Do you think the markets will have much on hand, even if you can get there?

Can you buy anything even if you get to a retailer or someone selling? Credit card readers are down. Cash is the only means to buy (some barter may take place I understand that). How much cash do you have on hand?

As roads may be blocked for a few days you may not go anywhere for sometime. Once they become passable, how much gas in your tank? Think you will buy gas? The stations pumps will not work. Do you have some fuel stored? Be careful where and how you store gasoline!

What is the extent of the damage overall? Turn on your radio and find the news. You do have a battery or crank powered radio? How long will those batteries last? Do you have a stock of extra batteries for it and your flashlights?

What about night time lighting? Candles can be dangerous.

Do you have a generator? Fire that up in an urban or suburban area and chances are someone will want and attempt to take it.

This is meant simply as an exercise to evaluate where you are in your preparations for a natural disaster. OK, go take stock of your preps NOW.
Old 04-18-2016, 8:22 AM

Does everyone know CA is 25+ years over due for a big earthquake ? I think of the Katrina disaster you need to have to be self sufficient for a minimum of 3-5 days before you should expect any help. As a camper I am more prepared than most. I do have some logistics to work out but should be okay. I have been thinking of ways to make my house more earthquake proof. If the .gov says your house is uninhabitable it is going to be a huge issue.
Old 04-18-2016, 8:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Great Post OP, you made me panic just a tad when thinking about if something literally happened right now, could I handle it? Where is my BoB, where is my dog, where are those 4 or 5 camping propane tanks I have. etc. Nice.
Old 04-18-2016, 8:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Three seconds is not enough time for me to get in and start up my helicopter ....

so I guess it's going to be the yacht.

Thank you SoCalman for a well-written & and needed (even in this community) public service announcement.

(To me water is the big one and you can never have too much. I also think handiwipes / cleaning wipes will help you conserve the water you do have. )
Old 04-18-2016, 8:49 AM

Also realize hospitals are already filled most of the time.
Old 04-18-2016, 9:06 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

With an earthquake of this magnitude, how quickly will water be cut off?
Old 04-18-2016, 9:18 AM
Banned

Realistically prepared people will be fine in this equation. Preppers have water, food and know how to manage hygiene. They will likely be taking inventory and fortifying their security measures. In this horrible scenario its likely weeks until normal society is restored and most preppers can easily manage weeks of bugging in. Look at the advantages of the prepared person:

Food and water handled
Security handled
Don't need to buy anything
Access to communications and information
Can aid a neighbor or two if communications suggest its all temporary

I didn't read the OP with any fear. Do I want to go out back and dig a hole for a toilet no - but I can.
Old 04-18-2016, 9:33 AM
Veteran Member

This a wake up call OP?
People should prepare to some level. Doing nothing is a lot easier.
Americans have become addicted to "easy" and it will take a big event to get the stampeding heard to re-direct away from the cliffs.

In this age of internet filled to overflowing with info, there is no reason people should remain ignorant to the possible dangers that are out there and how to prepare for them.
However, there are too many people still living their lives with blinders and ear plugs on while bumping into others on the side walk staring at a screen.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 04-18-2016, 9:39 AM
Calguns Addict

How much water do you have NOW?
25,000 gallons.

How many days do you think it will last?
120 days+

What will you do for a toilet?
Dig a hole then burn.

What is your food supply?
Fruit trees, Vegetable Garden, Chicken coop, pasta, rice....

How will you cook it?
propane stove, dual fuel dual burner unleaded gasoline gas stoves

Do you have a camp stove or other means of cooking?
5 burners to chose from in addition to BBQ.

How long will you survive on the food in your house RIGHT NOW?
120-180 days if strictly rationed.

Do you think the markets will have much on hand, even if you can get there?
No

Can you buy anything even if you get to a retailer or someone selling?
Probably. Supply & Demand will price items more expensively

Credit card readers are down. Cash is the only means to buy (some barter may take place I understand that). How much cash do you have on hand?
Enough

As roads may be blocked for a few days you may not go anywhere for sometime. Once they become passable, how much gas in your tank?
4 vehicles filled with 92 octane, approximately 65 gallons.

Think you will buy gas? The stations pumps will not work. Do you have some fuel stored? Be careful where and how you store gasoline!
Siphon pump.

What is the extent of the damage overall? Turn on your radio and find the news. You do have a battery or crank powered radio?
Battery, crank and solar radio.

How long will those batteries last? Do you have a stock of extra batteries for it and your flashlights?
24 days of USB backup power to recharge cell phones, computers, tablets and headlamps.

Dual Fuel Generator, camping lanterns.

Do you have a generator? Fire that up in an urban or suburban area and chances are someone will want and attempt to take it.
In process of installing a 22Kw Dual Fuel backup generator.

I feel pretty confident in a natural disaster. Of more concern would be security. being the only house on the street or in the neighborhood with power will stick out like a sore thumb.
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .... -IVC
Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietam servitutem
Old 04-18-2016, 9:59 AM

I'm thankful I don't live in a urban setting and in a active earthquake zone.

In any local disaster resource will come to bare very quickly. Water will become a issue very quickly. It is heavy and cumbersome to haul. Anybody that frequents this board and doesn't have enough food and water to last a month is a fool.

We had a huge fire up here last year. I was amazed by the sheer volume of resources that was available. It did take a couple of weeks to get the fire under control but there were resources to take care of people with limited resources. It is one of the things our gooberment does well.

You can't plan for everything but you can be prepared for it.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

My actual scenario of choice to prep for IS a Earthquake. So yes, I am ready...

How much water do you have NOW?
500 gallons.

How many days do you think it will last?
8 weeks

Portapotty.

Fruit trees, Vegetable Garden, Freeze dried food for 30+ days.

How will you cook it?
propane stove, dual fuel dual burner unleaded gasoline gas stoves

Do you have a camp stove or other means of cooking?
Yes. multiple plus free standing burners in addition to BBQ.

60 days.

No

Can you buy anything even if you get to a retailer or someone selling?
5000 dollars in Silver stored.

Credit card readers are down. Cash is the only means to buy (some barter may take place I understand that). How much cash do you have on hand?
$500 and each vehicle has $100

As roads may be blocked for a few days you may not go anywhere for sometime. Once they become passable, how much gas in your tank?
always a minimum of 1/2 tank plus more stored.

Think you will buy gas? The stations pumps will not work. Do you have some fuel stored? Be careful where and how you store gasoline!
Bicycles...

What is the extent of the damage overall? Turn on your radio and find the news. You do have a battery or crank powered radio?
Battery, crank and solar radio. Multiples of both, the old reliable Freeplays...

How long will those batteries last? Do you have a stock of extra batteries for it and your flashlights?
Tons, plus solar recharging systems, long term CR23 series, long shelf life Specialty D cells, 20+ Flashlights, most of them high Quality Surefire Series.
Plus Dual Fuel Generator, camping lanterns.

Have a 7500 watt Trifuel Generac series.

Now Bring it!
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

William Butler Yeats 1865-1939
Old 04-18-2016, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottentofu View Post
A major quake can rupture your water main. You could lose water pressure in seconds or minutes.
Old 04-18-2016, 1:17 PM

I'm off the grid. Unless the sun goes out and my well dries up, I'm good. I've been rotating preps for a long time ready for this exact scenario.
Old 04-18-2016, 1:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalman View Post
A major quake can rupture your water main. You could lose water pressure in seconds or minutes.
I have been postponing filling up my 55 gallon tanks for the past few days. This post just convinced me to get off my @ss and filled up those tanks.
Old 04-18-2016, 2:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I'm good on water at least.....have 15,000 gallons of water storage. Need to get a generator capable of running the well and booster pump tho. Actually for short term outage, running the booster pump is all I need to keep water to the house and keep the fridge going. Cooking can be done on propane grill if need be. I'm on septic also, so worries there. Need to build up my long-term storable food supplies though.

Quote for the day:
Quote:
"..the mind is the weapon and the hand only its extention. Discipline your mind!" Master Hao, Chenrezi monastery, Valley of the Sun
Old 04-18-2016, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Being this is a California forum you had better consider this. For that matter earthquakes can occur anywhere in the country, remember New Madrid!

So here is the scenario:

Three seconds after your read this thread a large quake hits your area. The rolling and shaking lasts 45 seconds and it was a 7.5 on the Richter scale. Of course you don't know it was a 7.5 because your electricity is off. Water mains somewhere are broken and you have no water pressure. Your gas line is broken and you have no natural gas for heating/cooking/hot water. You go to call the electric company but your phone line is dead. Grab your cell phone but the circuits are jammed and you can not make a call. Your home has several cracks, perhaps some damage but is still habitable. You walk outside and you can see that there are some fires burning, fortunately not in your immediate area. Sirens are blaring all around.

How much water do you have NOW? How many days do you think it will last? What will you do for a toilet?

What is your food supply? How will you cook it? Do you have a camp stove or other means of cooking? How long will you survive on the food in your house RIGHT NOW? Do you think the markets will have much on hand, even if you can get there?

Can you buy anything even if you get to a retailer or someone selling? Credit card readers are down. Cash is the only means to buy (some barter may take place I understand that). How much cash do you have on hand?

As roads may be blocked for a few days you may not go anywhere for sometime. Once they become passable, how much gas in your tank? Think you will buy gas? The stations pumps will not work. Do you have some fuel stored? Be careful where and how you store gasoline!

What is the extent of the damage overall? Turn on your radio and find the news. You do have a battery or crank powered radio? How long will those batteries last? Do you have a stock of extra batteries for it and your flashlights?

This is meant simply as an exercise to evaluate where you are in your preparations for a natural disaster. OK, go take stock of your preps NOW.
Sounds like we got away easy.

Our home has solar with a 3-day battery backup based on full summer AC use, and two generators, so unless both those systems were damaged, we've still got electricity. We've got over 300 gallons of fresh water, plus desalinators (we live oceanfront), but again, if we've still got electricity from our solar, we can just boil / distill seawater forever. If not, we can use the gennies to distill sea water for some time.

We've got over two months of food in the house, but really in any situation remotely close to the scenario in the OP, we're bugging out. Our sailboat is fully stocked for a trip around the world, if necessary, so we'd be at the harbor and gone in under 30 minutes, even if we had to ride our bikes the 3 miles to the harbor. Heck, worst case, we could swim there. If there were an imminent tsunami, and we had to swim (we'd probably beat the tsunami if we could drive or ride our bikes to the harbor, depending on the details), we'd be screwed, but since a San Diego tsunami has never happened in recorded history, those are risks we're willing to accept.

Once we're in blue water, we'll email the insurance company, tell them to assess / fix the damage to the house, we'll be back sometime after the work is complete. If the sky has fallen, and society crumbles to ashes, we keep sailing to our BOL -- we've put in a ton of work there over the last two years, and it's in pretty darn decent shape.
Old 04-18-2016, 3:34 PM

While you never want to have to depend on others, realistically speaking there would be a massive response for bringing in things like food and water. My water supplies are my weak point. Everything else I am good on, I also have a water bob and many different types of water filters but finding a source of water would be the issue.
Old 04-18-2016, 3:42 PM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2016, 5:04 PM
Trigger Warning
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:

How much water do you have NOW? How many days do you think it will last?
20,000 gallons of pool water. Water filters.
How long will it last? 4 gallons per person per day times 4 = 16 gallons per day. 20,000 divided by 16 = 1250 days.

A five gallon bucket lined with a replaceable plastic bag. It has a seat too. I guess we'll have to bury the bags somewhere.

Many cases of #10 cans of dried food. Buckets of dried beans. Stacks of canned food.

How will you cook it? Do you have a camp stove or other means of cooking?
Camp stove and propane burner, 3 20lb. tanks of propane stored, 1/2+ cord of oak firewood.

3+ months for 4 people.

Since I can walk to the grocery store if I go immediately after the quake they will still have food. I also have a motorcycle for getting around.

Enough.

I keep thirty to thirty-five gallons in gas cans.

Multiple battery powered radios, with plenty of spare and rechargeable batteries to last months. I also keep 4 charged car batteries in the garage. Solar to charge batteries.

Multiple LED lanterns and flashlights. Spare candles.

Yes, I have a Honda powered generator. It'll be a bad day for anyone who tries to take my generator....

OK, did I pass your test? Made me double check our supplies.

In a time of universal deceit – telling the truth is a revolutionary act... --George Orwell

Last edited by ScottsBad; 04-18-2016 at 5:07 PM..
Old 04-18-2016, 5:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottentofu View Post
As soon as the water mains break in your area.
Old 04-18-2016, 5:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealocan View Post
Three seconds is not enough time for me to get in and start up my helicopter ....

so I guess it's going to be the yacht.

Thank you SoCalman for a well-written & and needed (even in this community) public service announcement.

(To me water is the big one and you can never have too much. I also think handiwipes / cleaning wipes will help you conserve the water you do have. )
What about the Tsunami ? Hope your yacht can ride the big one.
Old 04-18-2016, 5:42 PM

I'm ready.

Is it wrong to look forward until all your preps pay off?

In that respect, I'm kind of looking forward to a big event...
Old 04-18-2016, 9:19 PM
Banned

Default sorry...

I don't take offense or imply offense but I have never understood this about prepared people; I for one am very happy being able to live a decent life and while I could live off preps I'd rather not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalJ View Post
I'm ready.

Is it wrong to look forward until all your preps pay off?

In that respect, I'm kind of looking forward to a big event...
Old 04-18-2016, 10:50 PM

I remember after the quake in 94 FEMA had a water tanker posted up in the neighborhood park. It was my chore as a kid to make a few trips every other day to go fill our water jugs. It took a while before we were given the okay to start using the tap for drinking, funny thing was since 94 most folks I know stopped drinking straight from the tap.
Old 04-19-2016, 6:39 AM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi762 View Post
I remember after the quake in 94 FEMA had a water tanker posted up in the neighborhood park. It was my chore as a kid to make a few trips every other day to go fill our water jugs. It took a while before we were given the okay to start using the tap for drinking, funny thing was since 94 most folks I know stopped drinking straight from the tap.
My folks were down there in Simi then (still are) and told the same story. NG had a water trailer set up at the elementary school couple of blocks away where they could go and fill jugs.

Where I am, If an event happened right now I would probably be OK for a month or two without having to go anywhere. Quakes are rare here, the more likely scenario would be flooding.

At the moment, my wife is in Alabama and supposed to be flying to Sacramento tonight. She has a layover in Houston where 46% of arrivals have been cancelled due to weather. So if something happened right now that prevented her from getting home, it would be a huge stresser for me.
Old 04-19-2016, 8:37 AM

Awesome thread. Tagged
Old 04-19-2016, 9:31 AM

I'm pretty sure we'll be fine because we don't live near any of the fault lines. Have enough preps and supplies to last several months, including water, food, medical, gas, cash, guns, ammo, charcoal, propane, wood, solar, tools, etc. There's a natural stream/creek and a few ponds a few blocks from my house. My problem would be the neighbors that don't have supplies or the hordes coming from the Bay heading towards the mountains should a major quake in the SF bay area occur. The one main problem if it happened right now is my wife and I are home, but my kids are at school about 10 miles away. Should be adequate time to go get them, but I'm sure the traffic from panicking people could slow things down a bit.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:23 PM
Banned

Default 916

Guess I am projecting that 916 means the Sacramento area? This thread was started by one in Southern CA I believe and certainly they have circumstances in play there and in fault ridden bay area that are different then us valley dwellers.

I'm a bug out first guy, but in the OP there is a reasonable suggestion that an instant earth quake makes that impossible. Even though I'm best set up to bug out if its not possible I know that I can maintain at home for a good deal of time if not permanently.

The longer any such event goes on the worse our public system of order will decline. That's the question I have - how long - until the hoards start trying to just take what is no theirs? Sure they will loot stores and businesses first, but preppers will be next. Preppers will no doubt fight back; I know I would, but how much fight can you give a hoard with overwhelming numbers? You either leave or die in place. To leave you have to have a plan.

By the way - plans are preparations that are really cost effective....cause all they take is time and energy to produce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertac916 View Post
I'm pretty sure we'll be fine because we don't live near any of the fault lines. Have enough preps and supplies to last several months, including water, food, medical, gas, cash, guns, ammo, charcoal, propane, wood, solar, tools, etc. There's a natural stream/creek and a few ponds a few blocks from my house. My problem would be the neighbors that don't have supplies or the hordes coming from the Bay heading towards the mountains should a major quake in the SF bay area occur. The one main problem if it happened right now is my wife and I are home, but my kids are at school about 10 miles away. Should be adequate time to go get them, but I'm sure the traffic from panicking people could slow things down a bit.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

That's the $64k question Rip.
Que the Clash's "Should I stay or should I go?"

Everyone should do what they can do and not sweat about what they cannot do.

I hate to quote cliches but here goes; "A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow".
The worst problems are the ones you'll never see coming or imagined happening. (MLR)

Sent using a long string & 2 cans.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --

Last edited by FeuerFrei; 04-19-2016 at 5:21 PM..
Old 04-19-2016, 3:44 PM

For those like myself that have a pool, I have done some research and there does not seem to be a filter to remove the cyanuric acid that enter the pool as conditioner, either powdered conditioner form or in the chlorine tablets. The conditioner extends the life of the chlorine. It is not good to drink lots of pool water. I have been looking for an answer....so far no good answer.
Old 04-19-2016, 4:45 PM
Banned

Default ok...

I have read plenty of prepper articles claiming to be ready to use pool water, so maybe look a bit deeper on the type of filter/treatment you'll need. However you will have access to a water supply for washing, sanitation and that means you can use stored water strictly for cooking/drinking. You can make a 55 gallon drum, for example, really go a month pretty easily for a person maybe two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muleskinner View Post
For those like myself that have a pool, I have done some research and there does not seem to be a filter to remove the cyanuric acid that enter the pool as conditioner, either powdered conditioner form or in the chlorine tablets. The conditioner extends the life of the chlorine. It is not good to drink lots of pool water. I have been looking for an answer....so far no good answer.
Old 04-19-2016, 5:34 PM
Veteran Member

Mule,
If you're worried about your pool water... Distill it before you drink it.
Look up how to build a still to do large volumes.
It'll cost fuel too so...
The still can be used for medicinal purposes too. Wink-wink

Sent using a long string & 2 cans.
-- Frederick Douglass --

– Frederick Douglass --
Old 04-19-2016, 6:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Our household is good for 90 days at least. I have adult kids in a 10 mile radius as well. And grandkids...

We've been a gun family for decades. And a preper Family. I just threw out a large stock of foods from the 1970s.......and restocked enough for 90 days minimum. Food, water, generator, weapons, medicine, fuel, the entire family is
Tuned into what actions to follow in a SHTF emergency. In my opinion, a mega earthquake is number one. I may sound crazy but number 2 on my list is a
"Bomb in a container". These terrorists will keep trying to attack our Country.
They don't have to sneak a Nuke into San Pedro; all they have to do is sneak one into Mexico and take out San Diego...

They will never stop.

We also made the decision to offer up food and help to others in our neighborhood. Regardless of their lack of preparation. Neighbors need help?
We will provide help.

Be well
Bob.

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 04-22-2016, 1:39 PM
Trigger Warning
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Here is a question for you. Would you rather drink pool water for a while, or not drink water? If no water is available, then pool water is a very acceptable alternative.

And yes a still would be easy to put together for drinking water only.

In a time of universal deceit – telling the truth is a revolutionary act... --George Orwell

Last edited by ScottsBad; 04-22-2016 at 1:42 PM..
Old 04-22-2016, 2:16 PM

Just got 2 new boonies in the mail, yes I'm ready for the apocalypse.

WTB: 28" 870 barrel
Old 04-22-2016, 2:18 PM

Just water, I have 28,000 gallons.

Yes, you can stop by for a drink.

Bring your barter item.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
No man, butt rape is happening like, all of the time in prison. It's basically just one huge orgy.
Old 04-23-2016, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Look into getting an RO filter, that should do the trick.

Sent from my SM-T807P using Tapatalk

Front Sight Ambassador Member
Email me for Memberships or Certificates

TheDonger.CalGuns@gmail.com
Old 04-24-2016, 9:01 AM

Quote:
Look no further. As was mentioned above, a still is all you need, and they even have solar stills. Buy or make a few, set 'em out, add in some seawater or poolwater or even brackish water and go do something else.

Not nearly as fast or as productive as fuel-based stills of the same size, but, they're completely silent, they don't run out of fuel / power, and they don't use up your fuel / power, so you can use it for other stuff.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

Keep in mind there are millions living in LA alone that depend on the government to feed themselves and their babies from day to day. Hope you have a moat around your house for those.....

Pietta / Colt Clone 1851 Percussion Antique FS only:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...5#post17482555
Old 04-24-2016, 8:29 PM
Veteran Member

Earthquake is the easiest and most likely event to plan for.

If you have enough food, water, light, medical supplies, warmth, to last 30 days, you should be fine.

It's a localized event and supplies and help will eventually show up.

The nation-wide or world-wide SHTF event where everything falls apart is the problem.

Remember 'The Road'? They had enough supplies to last 7 years. That's a lot of stuff. But it eventually ran out and they had to bug out.

Unless you have a completely self-sufficient community, you're screwed. And if the 'event' prevents the growing of crops, your self-sufficient community is also screwed.

So just prep for an earthquake and hope for the best.
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you can't confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln