Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 04-14-2013, 1:34 PM

Default Falcon Ops CQD Training AAR

CQD 1.0 was a great class. 10 students and instructors Voodoo and Hollywood!

I've taken all of their courses before (Pistol 1.0-2.0 & Carbine 1.0-2.0) but this CQD was my very first. The day began with life safety rules and medical brief. This is consistent with every FOG course as they are heavy on the safety on and off the "Range". We spent the first couple hours warming up with live fire drills. The class was a mixer of new students and Alumni. After warm up, it was time to go to the shoot house.

Before we began the CQD training we had to convert our weapon systems to accept the UTM rounds FOG provided. UTM or Ultimate Training Munitions are the coolest things I have ever seen. Besides being non-lethal, we were still able to use or own complete weapons systems with it. The instructors provided the conversion kits and training rounds. The only thing we changed was our bolt carrier group and magazines. FOG, by the way, are the only training outfit I know of using UTMs.

I'm not an expert on the UTMs but I can say they are more accurate than air rifles and paint ball guns. They also recoil the exact same way compared to live rounds. Hearing protection is not required too. The sound of a UTM going off is softer than a 22lr.

The CQD portion was great. There was a shoot house FOG built and multiple scenarios were created throughout the day. The training was very detailed and explained/reasoned very well. I had a great time working with the other students on team drills and the solo portion of the shoot house. A lot fun and learned a lot. This was a great change from the typical "Square" range days and a great opportunity to use what I've already learned in the past. I'm taking two friends with me to their next CQD class in June.

See you on the range!

http://falconops.net/

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365975230.453417.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1365975238.656330.jpg
Old 04-14-2013, 8:58 PM

Nice. Hope to make the June class.

How many rounds of pistol and rifle ammo (both live and UTM) did you shoot?

Did the extra safety gear impede your movement or vision?

Did the UTM hits hurt much and / or leave a "paint" mark?
Old 04-15-2013, 8:32 AM

Hey Ram!

Live fire was only 100 rifle and 10 pistol. It was only warm up and transitioning was optional. The UTM/CQD portion was about 250 rifle only. I believe the next class will have UTM conversions for pistol. Not 100%, I would contact FOG directly.

The UTM's do not hurt. However, there wasn't any force on force drills. We all worked as a team and shot up FOG targets and some 3D targets. No additional safety equipment was required. Clear eye pro instead of sunglasses since we were indoors most of the time.
Old 04-15-2013, 9:15 AM

Thanks.

Indoors? At Prado?

Personally, for house clearing I'd rather do pistol. So, a balance of running some scenarios with pistol only and some with rifle only with possible transitions.

With rifles they accommodate only AR/M4 so with pistol probably just perhaps a Glock 17?
Old 04-16-2013, 8:49 PM

I concur. I'm confident the next course will have conversions for pistol.

All in all, great day away from the regular square range and actually training in 360.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzar View Post
Did the extra safety gear impede your movement or vision?

Did the UTM hits hurt much and / or leave a "paint" mark?
From my experience Airsoft hurts more than UTM rounds and airsoft will break skin and leave pretty nasty welts. UTM might break skin but they really are nothing to worry about. Niether are extremely painful but painful enough where you know for sure when you've been hit.

For UTM all you need is a shirt and sweater and you'll be fine but every course I've had that used UTM rounds had FIST helmets and I'm sure there is a reason why. For both the UTM and airsoft FoF I did we had full face gear and I did it only with pistol although rifles were available in some. The reason is because with the FIST helmet or airsoft face mask you can't get a cheek weld so you probably aren't shooting through the sights. Unless of course you got a M4 setup for use with a gasmask. But with a pistol I could shoot like I normally would so if you are intersted in FoF Ram I'd make sure to grab the pistols first
Old 04-17-2013, 12:51 PM

Thanks GM.

I've done FoF and room clearing with shoot/no shoot targets with both AirSoft and Simunition but only pistols. They sting when you're hit and do leave marks but quite tolerable.

I hear UTM cycles better as well as more realistic recoil. Of course, using your own weapon is a big plus.

Yes, for my own personal benefit definitely pistol over rifle.

Last edited by ramzar; 04-17-2013 at 3:02 PM.. Reason: ... using your own weapon is a big plus
Old 04-19-2013, 4:30 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Lightbulb Additional Information on FALCON CQD Courses

For those who are interested.

There are several benefits to the CQD course we are running. Yes, Airsoft will get the job done, but, UTM is the ultimate way to train and the benefits to using your own weapon system is far superior over using a generic converted system like Simunition's or Airsoft in our opinion.

Ram, we will have some conversions for pistol soon enough sir. However, for your Glock 34 I will have to contact them to find out if they have made one yet. We have them for Glock 17's or equivalent frame size.

Another added benefit is that the system cycles just like a real weapon and the recoil is almost 100% in relationship to firing live rounds. You also use your own weapon and optics. MALFUNCTIONS, if they occur, are performed the same as live rounds would be which is another key point that Airsoft does not offer. Yes, 25 yards and in your going to transition at bad breath distance, but going through the motions of immediate action is always a bonus for honing the fundamentals.

Lastly, with our new portable and modular shoot house we can make any configuration we like to train on the fundamentals and increase the complexity for problem solving situations.

If you have additional questions, concerns or comments feel free to email us directly at info@falconops.net.

We hope to see you all soon at a CQD course this year to expand what you are learning on the square range.

Future course: We will be offering an Urban course soon that encompasses basic team movements that you have learned on CM/PM 2.0 courses and rolls into a shoot house situation with a mission objective.

Old 04-19-2013, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALCONOPS View Post

Ram, we will have some conversions for pistol soon enough sir. However, for your Glock 34 I will have to contact them to find out if they have made one yet. We have them for Glock 17's or equivalent frame size.
No worries. I have G34, G17 and G35.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:37 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Well, you do for now. There is a great beach from property in Florida for sale right now.