Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 04-30-2013, 9:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224 View Post
Maybe if you are in NorCal. In SoCal where you can do $426 OTD it is just easier to talk into a LGS and buy one. At $300 plus shipping, tax and transfer fee you end up paying for a bit more.

What do you have planned? I'm thinking front fiber optics, chain linked MSH with magwell, ed brown beaver tail, single side safety and a trigger job for my. Eventually I'll put in more than what the gun is worth

please show me this beaver tail!
Old 04-30-2013, 6:28 PM
Single stack pistol guy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfarol View Post
please show me this beaver tail!
Here are some of Ed Brown's stuff.

The individual parts aren't that expensive but they do add up:

Beavertail 40
thumb safety 33
Magwell 80
Trigger 22
Total $175

EDIT: Here is the complete list of compatible parts posted by Christopher of ATI:

Barrel Bushing
Front & Rear Site
Hammer
Trigger
Grip Safety
the Whole Main Spring Housing
Thumb Safety
Sear
Disconnector
Sear Spring
Grip Panels (but not the screws because they're in metric)
Mag Release
Sear Pin
Hammer Pin
Plunger Tube
Plunger Spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
The average Calgunner is afraid to scratch his gun; so I don't see the point to these torture tests.

Last edited by JackRydden224; 04-30-2013 at 7:00 PM..
Old 04-30-2013, 7:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I've had the Sig version for a while now and I have been pretty impressed with it. The shop I bought it from had both a GSG marked ($459) and a Sig marked ($479) version so I was able to decide which one I wanted. Obviously, not much different so it really came down to the fact that I hated the GSG plain grips, and was quite fond of the Sig's grips.

I decided to push the limits a little bit and see how the gun holds up. I still have not cleaned the gun at all (Not even a first cleaning) and it has roughly 750 rounds through it. Surprisingly it doesn't jam at all. Almost all rounds have been Remington Golden bullets. I have yet to have a stovepipe or ejection failure of any kind, thought it does fail to feed occasionally. I've noticed that it almost always occurs when the magazine is full, on the first cycle. So if I load 10 rounds into the magazine and fire, about 50% of the time it will fail to feed on the next round only. If I load 9, no issues. This has been a consistent thing with the gun right out of the box, but because I still haven't found any magazines, I can't say for sure that it is the gun and not the magazine. This past weekend, I put a 225 round box of GBs through the gun without a single hiccup loading 9 rounds at a time. This was with having ~500 rounds worth of gunk built up on the gun. Pretty impressed for a rimfire.

As far as accuracy goes, it's decent. It's not a Ruger match gun, that's for sure. But it does alright once you get the sights dialed in where you want them. This gun will break clays at ~25 yards no problem, but expect a few fliers. I picked up a 22 rifle at the same time as this so I've been staying at longer than ideal ranges for this gun lately. To be fair, it does decently at the range that I've been shooting it. Back on those sights, boy are they cheap. I actually noticed the #2 sight starting to bow a bit when tightening the set screw down (Not wrenching it either) and the tiny allen key that they give you is so thin and flimsy that it literally started to twist before the set screw was tight. No problem though because the first day I brought it out to the range I got a huge gust of wind that the tiny little allen wrench actually blew away never to be seen again. Luckily I was mostly dialed in at that point, but I still do need to find a new one. So far none of the hardware stores seem to have one that small.

I had read reviews that said the finish of these guns was fragile and lackluster. I probably wouldn't quite go that far with it, but it definitely can get dinged up if you let it. So far, my gun still looks new with only a small ding on the top of the slide that looks like maybe a piece of brass slapped into it. Surprisingly, the barrel looks as new compared to what a 1911 with 750 rounds would typically look like. The slide does have a LOT of peening already though, it's pretty clear that the slide material is very soft. It even has damage to the back side of the slide stop opening from where the slide overtravels a little bit and then rests on the slide stop. Normal peening in one thing, but this is pretty laughable in my opinion. Given that the gun was less than $500, I guess I'll just ignore it unless it becomes a problem.. but honestly I do expect this slide to crack at some point.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

“I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.” - Clint Eastwood
Old 04-30-2013, 7:51 PM
Smite Me
CGN Contributor

Quote:
What do you have planned? I'm thinking front fiber optics, chain linked MSH with magwell, ed brown beaver tail, single side safety and a trigger job for my. Eventually I'll put in more than what the gun is worth
Honestly, I don't have a detailed plan yet. At this point, I just want to improve the look of it. Solely cosmetic hahaha. I am going to change:

1. Grips
2. Stainless thumb safety.
3. Stainless beaver tail.
4. Flat mainspring housing.
5. CW upgrade kits.

I was thinking of striping the paint from the slide but may not be a good idea.

Sent from iPhone
Old 04-30-2013, 8:01 PM
Single stack pistol guy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbc View Post
Honestly, I don't have a detailed plan yet. At this point, I just want to improve the look of it. Solely cosmetic hahaha. I am going to change:

1. Grips
2. Stainless thumb safety.
3. Stainless beaver tail.
4. Flat mainspring housing.
5. CW upgrade kits.

I was thinking of striping the paint from the slide but may not be a good idea.

Sent from iPhone
Someone did that before on this site. At the first look it looked nice, like a two tone gun but after that it just looks ugly, unfinished and rough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
The average Calgunner is afraid to scratch his gun; so I don't see the point to these torture tests.
Old 04-30-2013, 8:21 PM
Smite Me
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Someone did that before on this site. At the first look it looked nice, like a two tone gun but after that it just looks ugly, unfinished and rough.
Yep, this is what I was afraid of.
Old 05-01-2013, 7:42 PM

I am disappointed with the CW up grade guide rod & spring. Shot perfect with the factory guide rod but have had quite a few ftl with the CW R&S? I have around a 150 rounds through it with the upgrade so I hoping that it just need's to be broke in more. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem?
Old 05-05-2013, 6:09 PM
Smite Me
CGN Contributor

I took my GSG 1911-22 to the range today. I shot about 100 rounds 35-gr .22lr from the Federal Value Pack without any hiccup. I am going to keep it stocked and put more rounds through it.

Sent from iPhone
Old 05-08-2013, 8:02 AM

delsol, I replaced the guide rod and bushing, but not the spring, and I get a couple FTL every so often. I don't see it as a big deal.

CW advises to use only high-velocity rounds with the upgraded spring. I run whatever I can find in mine, which is why I stuck with the factory spring.

So far I've had best of luck Federal bulk than with any box of Thunderbolt.
Old 05-10-2013, 5:09 PM

I have around 300 Rd's with the CW upgrade now, it does seem like the gun is having a lot less ftf with the bulk ammo than it did when I first put the upgrade in. I really do like this gun & would recommend this gun to anyone looking for a 22 pistol.