Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 04-13-2013, 9:16 AM
Banned

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.
Default Is there a QUICK start way to learn about MS SQL scripting?

I know what a query is, it is a search string that is entered to pull out data from a database file or several files.

The last queries that I ran were in MS access 2000...

NOw though I want to get into MS SQL but I see sites all over the place, is there one decent site that I can learn from or that is a great resource for noobs and advanced users alike?

My goal is to get to be a power user of sql in as fast as possible. having desk/book references is fine, and of those cool BIBLE books are fine too, I just gotta get up to speed and the more I can learn sooner the better.
Old 04-13-2013, 9:20 AM
Calguns Addict

I'd recommend learning MySQL or PostgreSQL since there's plenty of extensive (free) documentation out there, such as http://dev.mysql.com/doc/

Once you learn any SQL, you can pretty much apply it to other variations since syntax and semantics are very similar.

Plus, MySQL and PostgreSQL are fairly lightweight and easy to compile (or install via binaries) on your local system so you can just run the SQL daemon locally.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 04-13-2013, 9:41 AM
Banned

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Cool thanks.

I thought that most sql was the same, just like a little different under the hood prolly. Then I heard about MS and now Tsql... yeah whatever.

I will check out the link.
Old 04-14-2013, 3:22 AM
In Memoriam

SQL is SQL.

it's when a vendor decides to add their own add-ons to it that screws people up.

for example, when i was working with an MS SQL box, there was no "LIMIT x,y" clause.

meaning, if i wanted the fiftieth row, but i only want 50-80, it would be something like

SELECT * FROM TABLE LIMIT 50, 30

well MSSQL doesnt have anything like it. MySQL did, which was my DBMS of choice since i was working with the AMP stack.

OP, what exactly, are you looking at? is it for a new job?
Old 04-15-2013, 9:17 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I did one of those Sql in 24hours books, to get the basics. Then a ton of googling to get answers to specific things.

Also if you use SQL sever management studio, it's a lot like access.
Old 04-15-2013, 9:04 PM
Veteran Member

Sams teach yourself mysql in 24 hours or the 21 days version.

Then join stackoverflow.com to ask the pros.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:02 PM
Bit Pusher
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabj View Post
I'd recommend learning MySQL or PostgreSQL since there's plenty of extensive (free) documentation out there, such as http://dev.mysql.com/doc/

Once you learn any SQL, you can pretty much apply it to other variations since syntax and semantics are very similar.

Plus, MySQL and PostgreSQL are fairly lightweight and easy to compile (or install via binaries) on your local system so you can just run the SQL daemon locally.
I gotta disagree with this.

SQL Server, unfortunately, is a completely different beast than MySQL or Postgres. Beyond the very basic 'select * from table' semantics, you're in a completely different environment. MySQL lends itself to nice, simple, easy to understand queries that actually make sense. SQL Server? ****, if you're not writing a dozen lines of SQL you're doing it wrong. It's totally bat**** crazy.

If your job is SQL Server oriented, get a TSQL and SQL Server book and read it. Don't start with MySQL, you'll only get confused and bitter at Microsoft.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:19 PM

Or get on the other bandwagon of noSQL.
Old 04-27-2013, 9:58 PM

If you know someone with a .edu email account, you can down load MS SQL Server 2012 or 2008 R2 from dreamspark.com. I'm going to play around with 2012 w/business intelligence to practice reporting once I finish applying to grad schools. Microsoft has a sample database called Adventureworks for educational purposes. There are lots of tutorials online for it. Check out YouTube and http://www.brentozar.com/sql-server-training-videos/ and http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187731.aspx

Good luck!

Last edited by Charger Mark; 04-27-2013 at 10:45 PM..