Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-10-2013, 4:49 PM
eagle eye's Avatar
eagle eye eagle eye is online now
CGSSA Associate
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 895
iTrader: 36 / 100%
Default Classic have US Model Springfield 1903A3 .30-06 Rifle By Gibbs Rifle Company

http://www.classicfirearms.com/c-r-eligible/gibbs1903a3
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-10-2013, 6:27 PM
pro-nra's Avatar
pro-nra pro-nra is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 2,034
iTrader: 157 / 100%
Default

I never understand why someone would buy a non USGI 03-A3 (except for the receiver from a recovered drill rifle and a few other parts) for $1K when you can find original USGI for less?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-10-2013, 6:36 PM
Army GI's Avatar
Army GI Army GI is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: 806.4616.0110
Posts: 4,148
iTrader: 21 / 96%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-nra View Post
I never understand why someone would buy a non USGI 03-A3 (except for the receiver from a recovered drill rifle and a few other parts) for $1K when you can find original USGI for less?
Brand new barrel? Non banged up/cracked/cosmoline soaked stock? Pristine sights that haven't been dropped on? 100% finish?

Gee, I don't know!
__________________
Quote:
I purge the wicked. The impious madness must end. I shall be the instrument of Armageddon. It has gotten out of hand...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-10-2013, 7:18 PM
TRICKSTER's Avatar
TRICKSTER TRICKSTER is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Contra Costa County
Posts: 10,434
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

Well, they were selling for $600 a few months ago. They are now way overpriced.
__________________


Ignorance can be educated.
Crazy can be medicated.
But there is no cure for stupid.


Police Brutality? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRd5oucG114

NRA Benefactor Member
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-10-2013, 7:27 PM
Army GI's Avatar
Army GI Army GI is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: 806.4616.0110
Posts: 4,148
iTrader: 21 / 96%
Default

No I remember AIM had those too, and they were selling for at LEAST $700 if not $799. That was one or two years back, too.
__________________
Quote:
I purge the wicked. The impious madness must end. I shall be the instrument of Armageddon. It has gotten out of hand...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-10-2013, 7:30 PM
Enfield47's Avatar
Enfield47 Enfield47 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: So Cal
Posts: 4,752
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

It's all in what you want in a rifle. If you want one in pristine condition and are willing to pay for that, then I say go for it. If you want one with some character to it, then good to go too. Everyone has different tastes in what they like. I wouldn't mind having one in like new condition, but I'm not willing to pay 1k for it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-10-2013, 8:18 PM
pro-nra's Avatar
pro-nra pro-nra is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 2,034
iTrader: 157 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army GI View Post
Brand new barrel? Non banged up/cracked/cosmoline soaked stock? Pristine sights that haven't been dropped on? 100% finish?

Gee, I don't know!
That's what an authentic USGI rifle has...character. You are saying all USGI rifles have banged up/cracked/cosmoline soaked stocks? Not sure what rifles you've been looking at. I just checked all my 1903s and 03-A3s and none have the issues you mentioned. Green Mountain tube? Unknown in the 1903/03-A3 world. CBI tube is the best bang for the buck. 100% finish? And what finish is that? You can never duplicate the greenish tint park on a Remington 03-A3 receiver. People have tried for decades to duplicate the finish but it has never been replicated.

Original rifles are out there if you are persistent in your search. However, if you want a replica USGI 03-A3 recovered from drill rifles for more money than an original USGI then go right ahead if thats what floats your boat. Just my $0.20.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-10-2013, 8:42 PM
Army GI's Avatar
Army GI Army GI is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: 806.4616.0110
Posts: 4,148
iTrader: 21 / 96%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-nra View Post
That's what an authentic USGI rifle has...character. You are saying all USGI rifles have banged up/cracked/cosmoline soaked stocks? Not sure what rifles you've been looking at. I just checked all my 1903s and 03-A3s and none have the issues you mentioned. Green Mountain tube? Unknown in the 1903/03-A3 world. CBI tube is the best bang for the buck. 100% finish? And what finish is that? You can never duplicate the greenish tint park on a Remington 03-A3 receiver. People have tried for decades to duplicate the finish but it has never been replicated.

Original rifles are out there if you are persistent in your search. However, if you want a replica USGI 03-A3 recovered from drill rifles for more money than an original USGI then go right ahead if thats what floats your boat. Just my $0.20.
Dude I have one. And I also had a "restored" 03A3. Each has their selling points, I like my CMP for the "character" and the commercially restored A3 for shootability.

$999 is a little out of my price range, but back when they were selling them at AIM for $699-$799 I would've definitely plunked down money for one.
__________________
Quote:
I purge the wicked. The impious madness must end. I shall be the instrument of Armageddon. It has gotten out of hand...

Last edited by Army GI; 04-10-2013 at 8:46 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-11-2013, 3:49 PM
TMB 1's Avatar
TMB 1 TMB 1 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: 530
Posts: 2,750
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army GI View Post
Dude I have one. And I also had a "restored" 03A3. Each has their selling points, I like my CMP for the "character" and the commercially restored A3 for shootability.

$999 is a little out of my price range, but back when they were selling them at AIM for $699-$799 I would've definitely plunked down money for one.
Its the same with M1 Garand some people buy the $525 field grade $625 service grade or the $995 CMP special it all depends what you want.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-11-2013, 4:10 PM
Orlando Orlando is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: WLiberty Ohio
Posts: 1,334
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB 1 View Post
Its the same with M1 Garand some people buy the $525 field grade $625 service grade or the $995 CMP special it all depends what you want.

Thats not even close
Those are recovered welded Drill rifles, CMP's are the real deal
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-11-2013, 4:18 PM
TMB 1's Avatar
TMB 1 TMB 1 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: 530
Posts: 2,750
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Thats not even close
Those are recovered welded Drill rifles, CMP's are the real deal
Sorry I thought I read CMP special had repro stock & metal and new repro barrel. Wasn't thinking of the tack welded drill receivers but still recovered or not the receiver isn't a repro 03-A3 receiver.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-11-2013, 4:25 PM
Orlando Orlando is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: WLiberty Ohio
Posts: 1,334
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

What gets me about the Gibbs is they dont tell you they are recovered drill rifles. Why try and hide it?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-11-2013, 4:36 PM
Justintoxicated's Avatar
Justintoxicated Justintoxicated is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Escondido
Posts: 3,709
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

I wonder what the AIM A3's were. It was tempting but i wanted the real deal, but now mine has to go back and I am sad. Guess that's what happens when you get a stock thats 60+ years old.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-11-2013, 4:40 PM
Orlando Orlando is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: WLiberty Ohio
Posts: 1,334
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justintoxicated View Post
I wonder what the AIM A3's were. It was tempting but i wanted the real deal, but now mine has to go back and I am sad. Guess that's what happens when you get a stock thats 60+ years old.
Aims were Gibbs rifles
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-11-2013, 6:45 PM
Mustang's Avatar
Mustang Mustang is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Left Coast
Posts: 2,562
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justintoxicated View Post
Guess that's what happens when you get a stock thats 60+ years old.
Not necessarily.

You take a risk when you buy a rifle, sight unseen, off the internet. I've gotten burned a few times, but almost all of mine were bought off the internet and almost all of them are in good shape, no cracked stock, decent bore, etc.

You just have to shop carefully and build an "X factor" into the price you are willing to pay, so that if all is not as it seems, you are still OK. In your case, you get to return yours, hopefully for a full refund, and start fresh....rejoice
__________________
...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-11-2013, 7:59 PM
Simply115's Avatar
Simply115 Simply115 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Nicolas Island
Posts: 2,275
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
What gets me about the Gibbs is they dont tell you they are recovered drill rifles. Why try and hide it?
They aren't hiding anything. The info is out there, people just need to research it.
__________________
California Über Alles

Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-11-2013, 9:33 PM
rm1911's Avatar
rm1911 rm1911 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Soviet Socialist Republic of Kalifornia
Posts: 2,358
iTrader: 17 / 100%
Default

How would it shoot? There's still a lot of fun in shooting a repro even if its not authentic. Maybe for some people the look and feel is what they're after and as long as they're not passing it off as anything but I thnk it's ok.

I have a garand. I'd love to get another. But if in the future somebody did repros on usgi receivers or maybe new receivers and usgi parts I'd be happy with it. For me look and feel is all the same and it still lets me go old school.

How many sass shooters are shooting authentic pieces?? A nice repro is still fun. All good to me.
__________________
NRA Life Member since 1990

They're not liberals, they're leftists. Please don't use the former for the latter. Liberals are Locke, Jefferson, Burke, Hayek. Leftists are progressives, Prussian state-socialists, fascists. Liberals stand against the state and unequivocally support liberty. Leftists support state tyranny.

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-11-2013, 10:26 PM
Army GI's Avatar
Army GI Army GI is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: 806.4616.0110
Posts: 4,148
iTrader: 21 / 96%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1911 View Post

How many sass shooters are shooting authentic pieces?? A nice repro is still fun. All good to me.
good point.
__________________
Quote:
I purge the wicked. The impious madness must end. I shall be the instrument of Armageddon. It has gotten out of hand...
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-12-2013, 2:22 AM
Orlando Orlando is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: WLiberty Ohio
Posts: 1,334
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply115 View Post
They aren't hiding anything. The info is out there, people just need to research it.
You mean you need to search around nad find the unhappy buyers that have returned rifles??????
They should clearly state that they are demilled drill rifles in the description. Reason they dont? I would suspect they would sell a heck of alot less rifles if they did
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 2:14 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.