Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 05-04-2013, 9:01 AM

To the OP. Great job I like muffs but always carry plugs just in case of instances like this. Getting girls to shhoting us hard enough and if there uncomfortable they'll never go again.
Old 05-04-2013, 4:46 PM

Good job OP
Old 05-08-2013, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weber_2 View Post
More of a respect thing. I have no quarrel with another man speaking to my wife, but if I'm standing right there the man should approach me not my wife.
I disagree. She is just another shooter at the range. I have also given plugs to the GF of the guy next to me (they had one set for the shooter only). Nothing sinister or anything. Just someone clearly uncomfortable next to me and I had a whole bag of foam plugs in my bag. I probably would have offered them to you had it been your child but to another adult, are you kidding????
Old 05-08-2013, 8:07 AM
Calguns Addict

good karma is on its way to you sir!!!
Old 05-19-2013, 8:22 PM

i do that regularly and have my 10/22 and sr22 handy for the first timers, so they can build confidence and get comfortable. I was at asr a couple of weeks back and a gals first time her dumb BF had her out shoot 12ga pump. i invited her over and put her on my sigm400 then she started smiling. and enjoying herself.

i think the lady will warm up to the m&p 9. well good on you
Old 05-19-2013, 8:54 PM

Great job!
Old 05-23-2013, 2:55 PM

Last time I had a group of newbies next to me (the 4 of them had a range master with them to teach the basics. 2 or 3 had never shot before) I broke out my 45-70 revolver. With an overall length of nearly 20 inches, I often describe it my ccw or mouse gun (not because the gun is the size of a mouse... The bullets are). It is a gun that was most certainly made and purchased "for teh lulz". It really helped that the only ammo I had left was a box of HSM bear loads. You can feel the report through the ground. Alongside 8 doe eyes, and an "omg WHAT is THAT?" the range master took a moment to have them behold its glorious image and pass around one of its mighty shells and then opined that he wouldn't even want to fire it once (I assured him he was more than welcome, as well as the students). After a good laugh and broken tension, they went about shooting their now-oh-so-pedestrian 9's and 45's. It looked like they had a good time at it, too. They seemed far less nervous and shy than most 1st timers. I like to think I helped that happen.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:13 PM

Nice observation OP.

The flip side is the RO making correct assignments...one time I was shooting my Ruger .41 Blackhawk (I believe with a Redhawk frame) and the RO put a father and his kid next to me...they were shooting a .22LR and there were plenty of open lanes. The little kid's hair would fly up everytime I shot. If the dad didn't finally smarten up and request another lane assignment I would have suggested it.

From The Codex Kalachnikova: "He who would have you surrender your arms does so because he wishes to do something you could prevent by their usage."

Why is the idea of an unarmed elementary school principal lunging at an armed shooter and dying in the process heroic... but the idea of that same principal armed and stopping the armed shooter with her own gun... crazy? –from screen name “Voiceofreason”
Old 05-29-2013, 9:38 AM

Quote:
What's wrong with this? I've been shooting for years and still use the manufacturers boxes. Am I the only one?
Yes manufacturers' boxes only allow one gun per box..this is unacceptable!! I have many guns and only so many hands..i need boxes that can carry more than one gun to the range or i need more hands.
Old 06-01-2013, 6:50 AM

Quote:
More of a respect thing. I have no quarrel with another man speaking to my wife, but if I'm standing right there the man should approach me not my wife.
Agrred, it more appropriate. Guy was in charge and thats who you go to. If this was a girl thing cuttinh hairs, whatever... then she would be in charge and our primary contact.

Seems simple but be polite has gone into the crapper.

Talking to a mans chick while making him look like a dope and you the hero does not help.
Old 06-01-2013, 7:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidge62 View Post
Yes manufacturers' boxes only allow one gun per box..this is unacceptable!! I have many guns and only so many hands..i need boxes that can carry more than one gun to the range or i need more hands.
I fit 2 of my Kimbers in one box...no problems
Old 06-01-2013, 7:00 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebia View Post
Agrred, it more appropriate. Guy was in charge and thats who you go to. If this was a girl thing cuttinh hairs, whatever... then she would be in charge and our primary contact.

Talking to a mans chick while making him look like a dope and you the hero does not help.
How do you feel about another "chick" talking to your wife? I was at a rifle range a few weeks ago, and it was exactly the OP's situation, but he had her shooting some big shotgun. She looked really uncomfortable and unhappy. When they called a ceasefire to change targets, my (girl) friend and I went over to talk to her, and offered to let her shoot my S&W M&P 15 in 5.56. I let her shoot a magazine full, and she came up smiling!

Never overface a new shooter. Just like riding horse - don't overface your young / new riders and scare them out of the sport! So good job OP!

And "talking to a man's chick..." yeesh. You'd be mighty uncomfortable at the big networking / fundraising events I take my husband to. The men all come up to talk to ME, because it's my industry and I'm in an executive position at my (very large, international) company. At his industry events, I'm happy just being arm candy.
Old 06-06-2013, 9:37 PM
Veteran Member

I too am "an older gentlemen" who has been shooting most of my life---I keep a whole bag full of ear plugs (they give them out free at certain events---I grab a handful)---I find that plugs and muffs work best to preserve what hearing I have left (Rock N' Roll in the 60s & 70s).
I firmly believe a 22 rifle is the best teaching gun for beginners---followed by a 22 pistol. I was at an outdoor range next to a young couple trying to shoot a Sig Mosquito 22 pistol that just jammed and jammed---the girl was becoming quite frustrated to the point of not wanting to shoot anymore. I volunteered my 22 pistol---a mid-80s Sig P210-2 with it's factory 22 conversion unit installed. I also showed them how to properly hold and aim the gun---this changed everything! They started to really enjoy themselves---they asked about what it would take to aquire a pistol like this, but I explained that it was made before they were born and would probably cost around $3000. to get a gun like that. I told them to take their Mosquito back to the dealer and buy a Ruger 22 instead.
I consider helping new shooters to be an obligation to preserve the shooting sports!
Old 06-07-2013, 12:14 AM
Veteran Member

Very good of you to offer some assistance and give a new shooter more reason to do it again.
GP100 6" stainless
Vepr x54r with 23" Barrel
12 gauge O/U with 32" or 34" barrels & removable Chokes

Need some AR500 targets? Free $10 credit.
https://shootingtargets7.com/store/?...pBdnFlL0FxS3M9
Old 06-08-2013, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Is your real name Francis? You remind me of that guy in Biloxi Blues
Old 06-08-2013, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Good job OP that takes some balls. If some stranger would've started talking to my wife at the range I would've kicked his jaw in took his gun and shoved it up his *** and asked him if he found that loud. But that's just me....
Internet tough guys. Where would we be without them.
Quote:

And you guys own guns? God help us.
Old 06-09-2013, 8:19 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Nice job OP!
When I see someone at the range having an issue, I always ask if they would like some friendly advice.
When I see them doing something unsafe, I am not always polite, tho.

Quote:

Self esteem problem?

Boycott Guns Fishing & Other Stuff in Vacaville!

Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

Member: NRA, CRPA, IDPA, Diablo Rod & Gun, Local 39
Old 06-09-2013, 9:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I see this and similar scenarios as well. Mostly I see people shooting that (no smugness intended) have limited to no idea what they are doing; impromper stances and hand placements, but I rarely say anything because out of the times I have, I've received snoddy reactions like "dude, i dont care if I don't know what I'm doing, just let me point that way and pull the trigger"

which is completely fine, I just figure people go to a shooting range to learn and practice
Old 06-09-2013, 9:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I see this and similar scenarios as well. Mostly I see people shooting that (no smugness intended) have limited to no idea what they are doing; impromper stances and hand placements, but I rarely say anything because out of the times I have, I've received snoddy reactions like "dude, i dont care if I don't know what I'm doing, just let me point that way and pull the trigger"

which is completely fine, I just figure people go to a shooting range to learn and practice
Old 06-09-2013, 11:51 AM
yeah buddy!
CGN Contributor

I love going to the range during the middle of the week when it's only older, retired guys. They have much knowledge and wisdom to share. Sure, some can be grouchy, just offer them your brass if you don't reload and they brighten up and will often share some golden tidbits. All you have to do is listen.

Good job OP, our older generations are an example for us to look to.

This behavior from others has caused ME to be more aware at the range. Although I don't have much experience to share, I did share my lula magloader with some guys who were cursing their M&P 9mm magazines. Help out how you can!
Old 07-15-2013, 5:17 PM

Good job OP! But more importantly, was she hot?