Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 04-07-2013, 7:47 PM

Smile At On Target and not minding my own business

Went to On Target a couple of weeks back and had to wait for a rifle lane (they gave the last one to a young couple just ahead of me in line that were only shooting pistol, kinda irked me). While I was watching and waiting a few minutes for my lane to open up I noticed the young lady standing back as far as possible from her guy with her hands touching her muffs - clearly not very comfortable.
I drew the lane right next to the couple. When I was setting up it was even more obvious that she was not enjoying the experience and she had yet to try and shoot. So I did something very out of character for myself - I interrupted them and ask her if she found it loud (which she confirmed) and asked if she wanted some plugs to go under her muffs. She was hesitant so I kinda "insisted" and gave her a fresh pair from my bag and sent her out to put them on. I saw that her husband was shooting a brand new compact M&P 9mm (was still using the blue box as a gun case) - NOT an ideal first gun for her. I asked him if they wanted to use my Ruger MkIII and told him to just give me a few rounds of 9mm to trade for the .22 she would shoot. He accepted and she ended up having a very pleasant first shooting experience instead of what looked to be heading for a train wreck. She was literally beaming and gave me a hug when pointing out the head shots she landed

I share this not to pat myself on the back but to remind the other "old men" out here to remember to watch for where we can help make things better for those new shooters - even if it means going a bit out of your way or out of your comfort zone. Remember that to that newbie in the next lane YOU are 100% of "the people that shoot guns" that they have encountered. Here in the People's Republic of California we need every person we can get to view our sport and hobby positively!
Old 04-07-2013, 8:30 PM
Veteran Member

Good Job Sir

the more the better IMO and especially when it comes to females.. I find them usually to be a bit shy of firearms in general..
oh and

-Edmund Burke
I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
- Phil Dalmolin

The Battle of Athens was illegal too.
Old 04-07-2013, 8:50 PM
Calguns Addict

I don't know how old you consider older, I'm 59 and tend to help people when it is really obvious. I once saw a kid shooting and wincing every shot, his ear plugs were hanging out of his ears. I went over at range break and handed him some new plugs. I asked if he would like see how plugs are supposed to be inserted. He said yes, so I showed him. I got ready to leave, he thanked me and shook my hand. In parting I told him, you don't get used to loud noise, you lose your hearing and just can't hear any more.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Samuel Adams
Old 04-07-2013, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

To the OP - excellent job, well done!

Turby
Old 04-07-2013, 11:30 PM

Great job. It's usually a good idea to educate any new shooter even if its for safety reasons or showing them how to correctly hold a gun. It can make or break there shooting experience.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:40 PM

I agree with all the above as long as it is done with humbleness and respect. I have seen the same with negative results because the "old timer" came across as all knowing and down talking.
respect and tact are key.

LGB

John 3:16
Old 04-08-2013, 12:04 AM

great job. if everyone was a little more observant and sensitive the community would be much better off.

we don't need to be all up in each others business, but that was a good example of when offering mild advice isn't intrusive.
Old 04-08-2013, 5:04 AM
Veteran Member

Good story. Range kindness and generosity are indeed rarities.
Old 04-08-2013, 7:02 AM

OP-Good Job! I always have a .22 LR to loan out when I go to my range just for that purpose. I have also ran into a situation where the lady was trying to shoot a DA revolver that's trigger pull was so heavy she could not pull it with out canting the gun and missing the target. I loaned her one on mine with a lighter trigger pull and all her shots went into the black.
Old 04-08-2013, 7:36 AM

I was at the United Sportsmans range near Concord, Ca and was shooting 4 different Walthers on the pistol range. I had some hangup malfunctions and raised my hand for the range assistant to come over and clear the weapon for me. It was a Walther 22LR TPH. He asked me if he could fire off a few rounds to test and he was beaming ear to ear. I told him to use the other loaded magazines I had on hand. He was enjoying himself and told me what a sweet little gun. He also recommended other types of ammo to use to help prevent those problems.
The person next to me was looking and asked about the Walthers. We traded; I used his Colt 45 Remington Rand, and he used my Walther 22LR TPH for a few rounds.
A good day was had by all!!
Old 04-08-2013, 9:11 AM

Why did you have to raise your hand to have someone else clear your gun? Is that just how it works at that range?
Old 04-08-2013, 9:19 AM

good job, you saved the day for her. good to hear there are kind people still out there!
Old 04-08-2013, 9:40 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta Frog View Post
Why did you have to raise your hand to have someone else clear your gun? Is that just how it works at that range?
I find that unusual as well. I definitely don't want any range ninja RSO to put his ratclaws on my weapons. I can clear my own malfunctions (rare as they are) thank-you-very-much. Take your tactical beard and tactical hat to the other end of the range with the women and kids.
Old 04-08-2013, 9:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
I find that unusual as well. I definitely don't want any range ninja RSO to put his ratclaws on my weapons. I can clear my own malfunctions (rare as they are) thank-you-very-much. Take your tactical beard and tactical hat to the other end of the range with the women and kids.
LOL, ratclaws!
Good job OP.

"Friends don't let friends play bubba gunsmith."
SlickmisterN
Old 04-08-2013, 10:18 AM

Great job OP.
Good people are still out there! I knew it!

Old 04-08-2013, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member

awesome job OP, i love mingling with range folks, a guy in a nearby range kept asking me questions about my AR and eventually I asked him if he would like to try it, he had a blast and made his day, always cool to make range friends

Old 04-08-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
the tac-beard got me

Old 04-08-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta Frog View Post
The slide was jammed open and there was a round partially in the chamber and I didnt want to mess with it knowing that maybe the range people didnt want me to keep trying to clear it without them being present.I just wanted to be on the safe side in all repsects and let them deal with it, figuring if there were any problems; gun going off, it would be in their hands and not in mine.
That was a decision on my part and I am not sure if those are the range rules. upon reading the rules and regs I dont think there is anything in regards to that.
Old 04-08-2013, 1:01 PM

Well done.
Old 04-08-2013, 1:15 PM

Good job!!
And you got a hug too awesome!
Old 04-08-2013, 2:58 PM

Quote:
I am one of those RSO's with ratclaws and bonnie hat. I will not touch your firearm without asking permission, unless you are doing something unsafe. If your firearm is having a malfunction I will approach and ask if you need any assistance. I normally have a full set of tools and a cleaning rod for removing squib loads, stuck cases etc. Yea I know some RSO's can be ****.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:02 AM

Well done sir.

I do my best to help new shooters who seem uncomfortable when I see them. I've seen too many boyfriends take their gf's to the range for the first time and just sort of sit back smugly as their girl takes their first shot and the handgun nearly flies out of their hand.

On my last trip to LAX, I saw two separate instances where two female shooters were unsure of their grip and asking for advice to no avail. I sat back and watched quietly until I saw them put their thumb behind the slide.

Not wanting to be witness to someone losing a thumb, both times I asked the husband and boyfriend respectively, if they would mind me giving some advice. I showed them how to properly grip the handgun, and how NOT to get your thumb chopped off by the slide.

Later, in the parking lot as I was putting my guns back in my car one of the couples came up to me and thanked me. I told them it was my pleasure and I hoped that they had fun.

Anything that we can do to make shooting more fun and safe for everyone (including ourselves!) is a plus in my book. I'm just passing forward all the help I've gotten over the years as I've been learning.
Old 04-09-2013, 2:11 PM

Good job OP that takes some balls. If some stranger would've started talking to my wife at the range I would've kicked his jaw in took his gun and shoved it up his *** and asked him if he found that loud. But that's just me....
Old 04-09-2013, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weber_2 View Post
Good job OP that takes some balls. If some stranger would've started talking to my wife at the range I would've kicked his jaw in took his gun and shoved it up his *** and asked him if he found that loud. But that's just me....
Insecure much?
Bersa Thunder, Browning Buckmark Camper, Charles Daly 1911, Charter Arms Buldog Pug, Chinese SKS, Colt Double Eagle MK II Series 90 10mm, Egyptian Hakim 8mm, Heckler & Koch P2000SK, Kimber Eclipse Ultra II, Mossberg 500A Cruiser, Mossberg New Haven 600AT, Romanian M69 Trainer, Rossi Ranch Hand .44 Mag, Savage Arms Model 73, Smith & Wesson 1006 10mm, Smith & Wesson Sigma .40, Springfield Armory XD-40, Walther P1, Wyoming Arms Parker 10mm, Yugoslavian K98
Old 04-09-2013, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j411701 View Post
I am one of those RSO's with ratclaws and bonnie hat. I will not touch your firearm without asking permission, unless you are doing something unsafe. If your firearm is having a malfunction I will approach and ask if you need any assistance. I normally have a full set of tools and a cleaning rod for removing squib loads, stuck cases etc. Yea I know some RSO's can be ****.
Yeah, that's what I was taught too. Never touch someone else's firearm unless they are about to do something stupid.
Bersa Thunder, Browning Buckmark Camper, Charles Daly 1911, Charter Arms Buldog Pug, Chinese SKS, Colt Double Eagle MK II Series 90 10mm, Egyptian Hakim 8mm, Heckler & Koch P2000SK, Kimber Eclipse Ultra II, Mossberg 500A Cruiser, Mossberg New Haven 600AT, Romanian M69 Trainer, Rossi Ranch Hand .44 Mag, Savage Arms Model 73, Smith & Wesson 1006 10mm, Smith & Wesson Sigma .40, Springfield Armory XD-40, Walther P1, Wyoming Arms Parker 10mm, Yugoslavian K98
Old 04-10-2013, 8:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedrek View Post
Insecure much?
More of a respect thing. I have no quarrel with another man speaking to my wife, but if I'm standing right there the man should approach me not my wife.
Old 04-10-2013, 8:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheard1836 View Post
(was still using the blue box as a gun case)
What's wrong with this? I've been shooting for years and still use the manufacturers boxes. Am I the only one?
Old 04-10-2013, 8:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Yes, but there are a lot of newer shooters who can have trouble clearing a jam. I'd much rather see them raise their hand for help than hope no one notices and leave a live round in the chamber while people are down range changing targets .. if you range works that way.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
More of a respect thing. I have no quarrel with another man speaking to my wife, but if I'm standing right there the man should approach me not my wife.
So you're saying that your wife is your property and someone needs to ask your permission before talking to her? Wow!
Old 04-10-2013, 10:51 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
WOW!

So I assume you never let her leave the cave by herself?
Old 04-10-2013, 11:01 AM

Nice Job OP! Agreed that this is how we can ensure further participation in our obsession sport.

Quote:
And then there is this... Bodily harm threatened to some stranger for talking/helping your wife. Classy.
"The right "to carry arms in the militia for the purpose of killing game" is worthy of the mad hatter. Thus, these purposive qualifying phrases positively establish that "to bear arms" is not limited to military use." - Justice Scalia
-Heller v. District of Columbia
Old 04-11-2013, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheard1836 View Post
Went to On Target a couple of weeks back and had to wait for a rifle lane (they gave the last one to a young couple just ahead of me in line that were only shooting pistol, kinda irked me). While I was watching and waiting a few minutes for my lane to open up I noticed the young lady standing back as far as possible from her guy with her hands touching her muffs - clearly not very comfortable.
I drew the lane right next to the couple. When I was setting up it was even more obvious that she was not enjoying the experience and she had yet to try and shoot. So I did something very out of character for myself - I interrupted them and ask her if she found it loud (which she confirmed) and asked if she wanted some plugs to go under her muffs. She was hesitant so I kinda "insisted" and gave her a fresh pair from my bag and sent her out to put them on. I saw that her husband was shooting a brand new compact M&P 9mm (was still using the blue box as a gun case) - NOT an ideal first gun for her. I asked him if they wanted to use my Ruger MkIII and told him to just give me a few rounds of 9mm to trade for the .22 she would shoot. He accepted and she ended up having a very pleasant first shooting experience instead of what looked to be heading for a train wreck. She was literally beaming and gave me a hug when pointing out the head shots she landed

I share this not to pat myself on the back but to remind the other "old men" out here to remember to watch for where we can help make things better for those new shooters - even if it means going a bit out of your way or out of your comfort zone. Remember that to that newbie in the next lane YOU are 100% of "the people that shoot guns" that they have encountered. Here in the People's Republic of California we need every person we can get to view our sport and hobby positively!
GOOD for you!
Old 04-11-2013, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Liar.

Because if you would actually do as you claim, you'd get arrested, go to jail and spend thousands (if you actually had it) trying to remain out of jail.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Insecure indeed.
Old 04-11-2013, 1:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Thanks to Casual Shooter, this really is kinda fun (was Los Gatos Mountains) ;-)

Good job OP. I'm not sure I would have had the courage to do as you did - but your story inspires me so that hopefully I will next time.
CalGuns Network (CGN) is different from CalGuns Foundation (CGF). Both need our support. I have gold name because I support CGN; plus, I send $10 every two weeks to CGF automatically via online BillPay as described here.

Support CGF by shopping at Amazon!
Old 04-11-2013, 1:12 AM
A Garage in Canoga Park
CGN Contributor

A true shooting sports ambassador.
-g
Old 04-18-2013, 2:18 PM
CGN Contributor

Cool story, well never get the newbies on our side acting like jerks.
Old 04-18-2013, 2:30 PM
Veteran Member

Job well done!!!
Old 04-19-2013, 6:19 PM

Very nice of you sir. A gentlemen did the same thing for me, when i first introduced my girlfriend to shooting.He let her shoot his ar chambered in .22, and i let him shoot my 6.8.
Old 04-20-2013, 8:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j411701 View Post
Thank you. I am a member at Burro Canyon and there have been some total A--h--- RSOs there but most are very good and friendly.