Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 04-07-2013, 5:44 PM

Default Man says, "A gun is like a car.......

you just get in a drive it. You might not like it, but that's how it is. Get over it!" This was in response to me stating that I've been searching in December for a CCW gun I'm comfortable with. SHEESH!
It was my Dad, of course. He knows best. His adult, married with children, daughter couldn't possibly have the ability to decide on my own what's right for me. He still is pushing for me to purchase another revolver. For some reason I think he feels I can't handle a semi auto. He also suggested the only way I'd carry is in a purse. I've never mentioned how I'd like to carry, but in a purse is NOT my idea of best case. Apparently I just need myself a little LCR and a carry purse. Sigh....Anyone else have a man TRYING to help, but just getting in the way?
Please tell me I'm not alone here!?
Old 04-07-2013, 5:59 PM

This is not limited to men "helping" women. Well meaning people suggest guns that fit them. A gun is like a pair of shoes. It has to fit right to be useful. You need to try a gun on, see if the controls fit, run a few mags through it. Don't take his advice buying a car either. LOL

Last edited by section31; 04-07-2013 at 6:06 PM..
Old 04-07-2013, 7:02 PM

Trust me, I have NEVER followed his advice buying a car. :P
Old 04-07-2013, 7:18 PM
Veteran Member

Take him to the range and out-shoot him! ... that'll shut him up
Old 04-07-2013, 8:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Ask him what kind of bra you should buy next.
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 04-08-2013, 4:12 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Dads will be Dads we all think we know best for our kids even if its clearly wrong. Just listen and say thanks and he will feel better..
Old 04-08-2013, 5:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Buying a gun is a deeply personal thing. One problem we have as a community is putting too much stock in what others say. What works for Dave Sevigny at the IDPA line may not work for you at 2AM.

When I take someone gun shopping, I stand aside and let them pick what looks good to them. The starting point is what fits them, THEN we look at price, caliber, etc.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 04-08-2013, 6:04 AM

all true! He certainly means well. I do know that much!
Old 04-08-2013, 6:07 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

As a man and a NRA certified instructor, I gotta agree with YOU. Your dad may mean well but, he doesn't know what he's talking about. Proper fit and what the shooter is most comfortable with are the two most important things.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:15 AM

Since "all men come genetically equipped to handle firearms", he may be right (MASSIVELY sarcastic). Women have many advantages in shooting because we know that we are not genetically equipped and have to actually learn the skill and the sport, and practice it.

Many of us, but not all, grew up being patronized by our fathers. We know they meant well, but it's so insulting. I'm ancient, but my dad thought I should live at home until I married. He thought it was too dangerous for me to light a charcoal grill. But weirdly, he thought it was ok for me to come home from work alone at night in the Boston subway system. Go figure...

Ya gotta just make allowances for your Dad, say the daughter-equivalent of "Yes Dear" and carry on with your search. It isn't easy to find the right carry gun, never mind the holster! Everyone seems to have 10.

One of our local shooting ranges, Sac Valley Shooting center is having a club swap meet, and I'm hoping to try out several holsters then. And a friend who as the proverbial 10 holsters has lent me several. The fit isn't thrilling so far, so the search continues. Look here in the Women's Forum for a thread by Bugguts, who is inventing a really cool system of a Spanx type tank top undershirt, with velcro, to attach a soft holster anywhere you want it. Very neat.

Persevere, humor your dad, you can't change him, and don't be talked into too small a calibre. You want to stop the BG on the first try, not the fourth...
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 04-08-2013 at 11:21 AM..
Old 04-08-2013, 11:18 AM

I have also ran into a situation where the lady was trying to shoot her husbands DA revolver that's trigger pull was so heavy she could not pull it with out canting the gun and missing the target. I loaned her one of mine DA revolvers with a lighter trigger pull and all her shots went into the black. I also loaned her my Glock 17 wich she liked and shot well.
I am an NRA certified instructor involved with Women on Target and several other outreach events.