Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 04-06-2013, 2:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Any ladies out there with their CCW?

My wife just got her CCW permit and is having a hard time finding effective ways to carry. She has ordered the 'belly band' and is looking into other ways to carry. She doesn't like the idea of just carrying in her purse because of access and the idea of getting her gun stolen along with her purse! Any ladies with suggestions or ways that have worked well for you please share! Thanks a lot. I know all the calgunners will have ideas for her on this one.
Old 04-08-2013, 7:00 PM

It depends on what she is trying to carry. Smaller is better, to conceal and carry easily. I started with a .380 and 'grew-up' to a LadySmith 9mm, mostly due to the guys pressuring me about .380 being too small to be worthwhile in self-defense. (Hah. This was before the 2012 resurgence of ads for comfortable carry and new .380 lines by many builders!)
I wanted something slim enough for my hand to grip Well = single stack; something short enough to conceal. I wanted manual safety, in case I was
forces to carry in my purse. So I was pointed toward the Lady, and I love it.

I work(ed) outside a lot. I chose a fanny-pack worn belly-style, as I used that as my portable 'office', and it drew no attention from my already customers/coworkers. I began with an inside beltband belly holster, and that was okay with the .380, but less steady with the 9mm. I still use it, when I can go blouse-over in more indoor situations (shopping around town). When I am in "more-controlled" civil environments, conferences/dressy dinners, it goes in the holster, in my purse.

I got the CCW due to a wild-west solo-lady in a 24-hr. work environment, and a crappy town shopping/business locale. I was tired of being confronted by panhandlers and streetwalking drug dealers that were deliberately intimidating. I still practice active awareness, looking, thinking where I am and who's around.... and avoid as much sketchy territory as possible. The gun is not a solution, but it makes me less afraid.....

Be aware. Be careful. Not any one holster/position will fit all situations.
Find a nice range, and practice with ALL carry methods. Draw a lot. Shoot a lot. Pray to never actually need it.
Old 04-08-2013, 9:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks for the help. She has a Glock 23, 19, Kahr PM9 and Ruger LC380. She thinks shes dropping the 19 for the other three. She bought today a couple in waist softer holsters. But shes having a hard time with printing. She doesnt like the idea of a purse carry becasue she is worried of someone snatches her purse the gun goes with it.

I love the idea of smaller guns. I dropped my glock 45 and now favor my G27 and the LC380. Im not one of those 45 or die types. I think that .380 is a great caliber for CCW. We have been discussing it and I might even try and find something else thats smaller to replace my 19. I just like the 19 cause I can hold more rounds with it.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:09 AM

Four to choose from? Woo hoo. Only get 3 listed on CCW in my county.
Agreed, purse carry is worst solution.
More accuracy beats more rounds. Practice, practice, practice.
Smile.
Old 04-09-2013, 7:44 PM

I made my own holster. There is a thread on here somewhere(in this forum) by cannibalizing a belly band(which I hated since I am round, short and have hips) and sewing the pocket on to a women's unitard. Easy, simple and she can pick where she wants it sewn on too. I carry slightly behind my right hip but it's is immensely customizable.

Oh and my county only allows two so I have my XD9 sub and my Sig P239
Old 04-09-2013, 8:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I love the crossbreed holster style. Lots of companies make a similar (well identical really) design.

http://crossbreedholsters.com/

Here's a video of a lady demonstrating it with different firearms and outfits:
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 04-09-2013, 8:28 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

My wife uses a purse designed for LTC. Access is not a problem, but yes, there is still an issue of whether the purse is stolen. But the reality is that she needs effective access to the gun. On-body carry is tough for many women because of clothing styles, so off-body carry may need serious consideration.

Galco makes some very high quality LTC handbags. Pricey, but very nice.

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterP2.asp?CatalogID=149

There are other manufacturers out there.

Last edited by Gryff; 04-09-2013 at 8:32 PM..