Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

View Poll Results: Which connectors will fit into an RJ-45 (ethernet) jack?
USB Type A 0 0%
USB Type B 1 12.50%
All of the above 2 25.00%
None of the above 5 62.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-04-2013, 4:31 PM
Manufacturer / Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Whoever designed the USB type B plug, I want a word with you

The USB type B plug is a really excellent mechanical fit to the RJ-45 (ethernet) jack, such as those found on the back of networked printers. And when this plug is inserted into said jack, there is no electrical connection whatever, causing endless profanity to be uttered by the end user when the printer fails to be recognized by the computer.

So electrical designers, in the future, when designing computer cabling, let's please look at making the plugs physically incompatible with other similar jacks that may be in use on the same equipment? Thanks.

Yes I know I should have turned the equipment around and actually looked before inserting the plug into the wrong jack. Story of my life.

-Mark
Old 04-04-2013, 4:37 PM
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)=ε/̵͇̿̿/’̿’̿ ̿
CGN Contributor

Then there's the type a connecter, you got a 50/50 chance to plug it in the right direction. Yet somehow you always do it wrong.

Old 04-04-2013, 4:39 PM
Manufacturer / Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smird View Post
Then there's the type a connecter, you got a 50/50 chance to plug it in the right direction. Yet somehow you always do it wrong.

This too, hacks me off about USB.
-Mark
Old 04-04-2013, 5:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

LoL. But does a type b fit in and give you the resistance when it goes in? Or does it feel kinda sloppy (which just SCREAMS WRONG HOLE!) ??

:O
Old 04-04-2013, 5:34 PM
Manufacturer / Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
LoL. But does a type b fit in and give you the resistance when it goes in? Or does it feel kinda sloppy (which just SCREAMS WRONG HOLE!) ??
Felt just like the regular USB Type B Jack upon insertion. I swear I spent 45 minutes trying to debug the dang printer driver. Cursing Microsoft all the way. "Why can't printers just work?," I yelled, pounding the desk.

-Mark
Old 04-04-2013, 5:44 PM
CGN Contributor

and if you are doing it by feel, sometimes you will stick that B plug into the ethernet port and twist it thinking that you are 90* off because it didn't feel like it was in right. And that twisting action will bend the pins in the port and now you get to bend them back straight so they might work when you do plug in an ethernet cable.

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:55 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Had to fix about 5 printers which had been "plugged in" to the ethernet port with USB cables. One cable even fell out and dropped behind the desk. I only realized later that a cable already was in the computer side and just needed to be in the printer.

Not the worst cable design ever but it is pretty bad.
"Reloading is kind of like crocheting for the gun enthusiast with the one exception that while you can have too many drink coasters and ski hats, you cannot have too much ammo." ~Bryansix
Old 04-07-2013, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

Last 16 years I've wondered about the intelligence and the "having a clue" regarding engineers and the management that decides what to build. Silicon Valley is described as the largest collection of Autistic people on the planet. Sure seems it....I remember first time I used a word processing program, had to name the file. It was a letter to someone, their last name was 10 letters long, so put that in the file name box and hit enter. Of course nothing happened. Got one of the secretaries, she looks and says I can only have 8 letters in a box that will hold 12....how that got built, I'll never understand.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:37 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by klewan View Post
Last 16 years I've wondered about the intelligence and the "having a clue" regarding engineers and the management that decides what to build. Silicon Valley is described as the largest collection of Autistic people on the planet. Sure seems it....I remember first time I used a word processing program, had to name the file. It was a letter to someone, their last name was 10 letters long, so put that in the file name box and hit enter. Of course nothing happened. Got one of the secretaries, she looks and says I can only have 8 letters in a box that will hold 12....how that got built, I'll never understand.
8spaces for the filename, one for the period, and 3 for the filetype? that equals 12.

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 04-07-2013, 1:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
8spaces for the filename, one for the period, and 3 for the filetype? that equals 12.
This was in '85, it was 8 characters, total. You put anymore than 8, program wouldn't move until you got it to 8 or less. Wish I knew what WP it was.
Old 04-08-2013, 1:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

So many ways this post could be made into a dirty joke.
Old 04-08-2013, 1:44 PM
In Memoriam

Firewire for the win.

Beta videotape was better too.

Look when you insert unless you know the machine or person really well.
Old 04-08-2013, 2:10 PM
Calguns Addict

same goes for hdmi and display port.
Old 04-08-2013, 2:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

It takes Apple Inc. to prove that hermaphroditic is the way to go... you CAN'T GET IT WRONG... I now support all types of marriage...

thisfile.bak was not helpful...
You never knew if it was renamed, or archived by some tool that renamed the ext of the arc/zip/etc.

Luckily there is "file" in Linux.

Last edited by the86d; 04-08-2013 at 2:22 PM..
Old 04-08-2013, 3:34 PM

As an IT admin ive seen some stuff.

Believe it or not usb cables can be stuffed into rj45 ports...

75 foot hdmi cables stapled into ceilings and run to projectors with an output of 1024x768 max.

Network cabling guys that were too lazy to put an end on a cable so punched them down at both ends then charged the client for 200 3 foot ethernet cables...

48 volt poe adapters plugged into 24 volt devices.

3.5mm to rca audio cables then back to 3.5mm...

Its funny how much people will do to work around something when a 2 minute phone call would resolve weeks of problems and a day of my troubleshooting time.