Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 10-31-2007, 6:12 PM

Default What makes the Badger Ordnance rings $60 more than Leupold

So I'm trying to find rings for my Leupold and looked up Badger Ordnance, they look nice but they are $60 more than the Leupold. I know they have a matching serial number and what not, but does that really justify $60 more than the Leupold. In this link you can see that the top and bottom are not entirely flush with one another http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/bo_306-08.jpg , do they really come this way. A lot of people have said a lot of good things about Badger Ordnance but does it really live up to the hype? I was just thinking of getting the Leupold Rings, any opinions or other options out there? I was also thinking about a LaRue mount as well, but I think I just want a normal sturdy ring set-up.

Last edited by snaggletooth; 10-31-2007 at 6:58 PM.. Reason: bad spelling
Old 10-31-2007, 6:28 PM
Calguns Addict

I honestly do not thing the Badger rings are worth that much more but they do appear to be a lot beefier then the leupold rings. Check these rings out, they are probably the best on the market.

http://www.seekinsprecision.com/

Look at www.libertyoptics.com they carry Seekin rings and the price is very reasonable.
Old 10-31-2007, 6:54 PM

I'm not too sure about the aluminum, I had a bad experience in the past with the aluminum being stripped. Are there any other options out there, I just want somthing that I can drop right on it and not have to worry about ( I'm clumsy somethimes).

Last edited by snaggletooth; 10-31-2007 at 6:55 PM.. Reason: poor gramar
Old 10-31-2007, 7:18 PM
In Memoriam

Burris makes some rather nice rings as well, for not too much dough. The ones with the inserts (I've spaced the specific name) are nice to deal with slight alignment discrepancies.

-- Parag
Old 10-31-2007, 7:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggletooth View Post
I'm not too sure about the aluminum, I had a bad experience in the past with the aluminum being stripped. Are there any other options out there, I just want somthing that I can drop right on it and not have to worry about ( I'm clumsy somethimes).
Glen Seekins stuff is top notch. Not getting his rings based on them being aluminum would be a mistake.
Old 10-31-2007, 7:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Badger for the records, makes awesome rings. Very beefy and SOLID with excellent quality control. Down side is the price. I think it is like $40-$50 overpriced.

Seekins, I expect to be even beefier than the Badgers. I asked Glen, is it beefier than Badgers? His reponse said much beefier, and I was already impressed with the Badger rings. I have high expectations.

Leupold rings are not even in the same league as Badger, Seekins, etc.
Old 10-31-2007, 8:09 PM

i've tried leupolds, and they were junk. they made the scope point slightly off center.

i use badgers now and the scope points straight ahead.
Old 10-31-2007, 9:02 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

http://www.tacticalprecision.com/
Old 10-31-2007, 11:04 PM
Banned

Martin makes great stuff.....

Skip one date and a dinner, and buy the Badger.
Old 11-01-2007, 2:00 AM

hmmnnn...... interesting, I guess i'll have to debate this more. The seekins rings are in a nice price range and I don't mind paying a premium for the badger rings, just as long as "the juice is worth the squeeze", so to say. The thing is with aluminum while it is lighter and there is a bit more of it around the scope, it is still aluminum. It is still soft and when in contact with steel, it will deteriorate, through a process known as galvanic action, ask any old school land rover owner and he'll tell you the problems with the bulkhead and frame and body (The only way I know to avoid this is to coat the steel in cadmium or have it zinc-nickel plated or aluminum plated or ion-vapor deposited aluminum (please do correct me if I am wrong)). Maybe the anodizing might help it a bit, but I think I'm just a steel kind of guy.
Old 11-01-2007, 6:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
hmmnnn...... interesting, I guess i'll have to debate this more. The seekins rings are in a nice price range and I don't mind paying a premium for the badger rings, just as long as "the juice is worth the squeeze", so to say. The thing is with aluminum while it is lighter and there is a bit more of it around the scope, it is still aluminum. It is still soft and when in contact with steel, it will deteriorate, through a process known as galvanic action, ask any old school land rover owner and he'll tell you the problems with the bulkhead and frame and body (The only way I know to avoid this is to coat the steel in cadmium or have it zinc-nickel plated or aluminum plated or ion-vapor deposited aluminum (please do correct me if I am wrong)). Maybe the anodizing might help it a bit, but I think I'm just a steel kind of guy.
Call and talk to Glen. He answers the phones. He'll tell you all about it.

You won't go wrong with the Badgers, either.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:53 AM

hmmmnnn....... interesting......... I think I may call him and see.
Old 11-03-2007, 8:44 AM

I have lapped quite a few ring sets when installing scopes and the Badgers didn't need any. What a dream to install an expensive scope into. My confidence level was extremely high when torquing them down to the specified amount that no harm would come to the scope. From what I understand they are center bored as a pair so alignment is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
We will happily keep them unimpressed while we exercise our rights and limit their powers concurrently. -Gene
No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 11-05-2007, 7:06 AM
Veteran Member

Badgers use matched pairs of rings machined from the same block of steel and serial numbered to match...

Don't know if Leupolds do the same. If you want absolute accuracy go with the Badgers.
Old 11-19-2007, 7:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drawn View Post
I have lapped quite a few ring sets when installing scopes and the Badgers didn't need any. What a dream to install an expensive scope into. My confidence level was extremely high when torquing them down to the specified amount that no harm would come to the scope. From what I understand they are center bored as a pair so alignment is perfect.
+1 I have numerous sets of Badger rings and I love them. I have been totally happy with them, so IMHO they are well worth the price.
NFA is a long ways off as well it should be. Going after the NFA soon is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex...-Gene
Old 11-22-2007, 5:19 PM

I use my scoped rifles to kill things that can and will kill me. I use Leupold QR rings and bases exclusively, including all my African large bores. I mount the scopes myself and have never had a problem. When I couldn't get a set of Leupolds for a new .458Lott rifle, they recommended Warne. I found the Warnes to be equally reliable.

BTW, I have seen aluminum rings fail on large bore rifles in Africa. I wouldn't use them on anything larger than a .22.
Old 11-22-2007, 6:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
The thing is with aluminum while it is lighter and there is a bit more of it around the scope, it is still aluminum. It is still soft and when in contact with steel, it will deteriorate, through a process known as galvanic action, ask any old school land rover owner and he'll tell you the problems with the bulkhead and frame and body (The only way I know to avoid this is to coat the steel in cadmium or have it zinc-nickel plated or aluminum plated or ion-vapor deposited aluminum (please do correct me if I am wrong)). Maybe the anodizing might help it a bit, but I think I'm just a steel kind of guy.
Galvanic corrosion is caused by dissimiliar metals in an electrolytic solution. As long as you don't store your gun in saltwater it shouldn't be a problem.

The problem with the Land Rovers was mud and road salts would get caught in all the nooks and crannies in the frame to body joints and everytime they got wet it produced salt water (the electrolytic solution) that it needed to corrode.

Look at all the AR style rifles, you have aluminum frames and all steel barrels and internal parts. You don't see them corroding away.
Old 11-23-2007, 7:23 AM

originally intended and used for sniper rifles, sturdier and cut to finer tolerances