Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 04-04-2013, 9:20 AM

Default SOG Type 53 Arrived

Inspired by the cool rifle Ditchdrift received, I placed an order and just got mine. It appears to be in even rougher condition.

C.A.I. import marked 1955.3 with the stock cracked at the wrist and bayonet relief, covered in deep gouges, scratches, very little varnish on the wood and what's left is milky, the metal is pitted below the wood, etc. All that and no cool termite damage!

Non matching bolt, but the receiver matches the magazine bottom plate and butt plate.

Here are some before pics.

These ARE the after pics. I know, it's still really rough but I got rid of the milky varnish, cracks, and splinters. It was meant as a starter rifle for my brother-in-law, and there was no time to buy a better stock, so I HAD to clean it up before gifting it.

TLCGunTrust@gmail.com
Nothing I post here constitutes legal advice, nor can it establish an attorney/client relationship.

Last edited by Grendl; 04-04-2013 at 2:31 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 04-04-2013, 9:52 AM

Looks about the same shape as my T53 from Century. Really fun to shoot though.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:11 AM
Calguns Addict

to me that is a parts rifle, the Turners Chinese SKS i got a while back was better than that and i sold it. this is why i do not like buying sight unseen .
i just bought a 1944 M-44 from a small gun store and paid 350 for a rifle i am proud of.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:17 AM

That is one that I would go ahead and finish the best I could.

http://howtomakeeverything.com/CD3WD/INDEX.HTM
http://gun-deals.com/ammo.php?caliber=7.62x39
http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF...reative=390957
Old 04-04-2013, 12:32 PM

As long as it is safe to shoot, it will clean up real nice.

If you are going to refinish the stock, I recommend this product, Abatron WoodEpox. It's a two-part wood replacement compound that is used where strength and durability are important. Look it up on Youtube.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-04-2013, 12:35 PM

Agreed. A parts or project rifle at best, but I think my brother-in-law will be happy. He'll go from no guns to flame-throwing T53 which he can shot, refinish, or trade towards something he prefers.

Thanks for the tip TrexTracker, I'll look into that.

TLCGunTrust@gmail.com
Nothing I post here constitutes legal advice, nor can it establish an attorney/client relationship.

Last edited by Grendl; 04-04-2013 at 12:38 PM..
Old 04-04-2013, 2:02 PM

wow thats pretty rough, but i swear it about what mine looked like, maybe a bit rougher. Clean the hell out of the stock with some pretty aggressive detergent, i like to scrub with a brush and purple power. Stick the stock in a heavy black trash bag and fill with water and detergent and stick it in the sun for a day. Make sure you scrub with water and rinse as much of the detergent and old stuff off of it. I also like to use non-chlorinated brake clean to get the tough spots clean. I then lightly sand with 300-400 grit and then hit it with 0000 steel wool. I usually do 4 coats of tung oil with light buffing with 0000 steel wool in between coats. Yea, yea, yea, the purists are gonna hate on me, but whatever, not like some soldier wants to shoot a gun with splinters coming out of it and leaving oil stains all over the place.

Foreign Car Center
Vallejo, CA
Old 04-04-2013, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdrift View Post
Yea, yea, yea, the purists are gonna hate on me, but whatever, not like some soldier wants to shoot a gun with splinters coming out of it and leaving oil stains all over the place.
Post some pictures. It would be nice to see b4 and after pictures. Otherwise, we don't believe you and assume you traded it for a $100 grocery card at a gun buyback since the T53 was too much work.
Old 04-04-2013, 2:34 PM

More great tips. Thank you.

I'm done with this piece, but I'm going to print the thread and give it to my brother-in-law in case he feels inspired.

TLCGunTrust@gmail.com
Old 04-04-2013, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick007g View Post
If you are gonna refinish it and gift it I have a few suggestions to turn that raggedy-Ann into a beautiful princess.

1. Strip the wood with heavy duty oven cleaner (spray on for 15 min and hit with a natural color synthetic 3m pad to remove all finish) then rinse well. If the wood is super greasy/grimy you can hit it with some brake cleaner to degrease and lighten the wood. Rinse well agian. Let dry for 24 hours.

2. Strip the metal (barrel, magazine ect) with $1 store CLR, spray on and let it rust for 10-15 min and then use 3m pad to clean off all the rust and old bluing, and old paint. Once clean you hit it with brake cleaner to make sure it is stripped of all oils. Dry thoroughly. It will be just shinny metal left.

3. Put a ear plug in the muzzle and drop a ear plug into the barrel to plug barrel. They work perfect.

4. Hang all the metal (except the bolt, just boil, oil, and polish that) from mono or power-pro fishing line (high # test). Spray all the metal with Rustolium high heat BBQ/Stove paint (1200 degree). They have it at all the auto parts stores. Wait a bit and re-coat. 2 coats should be enough but you may want 3. Making sure to get all in the barrel opening/breech (but not actual tube with rifling (that is what ear plug is for)) and cover any exposed metal. If you want it to be super solid bake it in the oven at 350 for an hour. Helps the finish cure and bake on but not necessary. Finish will look way better than duracoat, auto spray paint, any bluing you could do even professional ect. You'll be amazed and will want to do all your rifles.

5. Back to the wood. After it is dry you could sand lightly (I don't but will spot sand if the grain is crazy). I like to see all the cartouches and character. You could also stain at this time (agian I don't). Finally, apply thin coats of true oil by hand (I like 7-8 coats) followed by a very thin coat of satin wipe on polyurethane to help with strength and water sealant. You could just use wipe on poly if so inclined and if you do it thin enough, use satin, and knock it back a bit it will look just like true-oil anyway. Most people will knock the poly but the wipe on poly is much the same as many other products that have the Japanese driers. If it dries hard it has driers and is basically poly. You could also do a oil finish but that is more work and a ongoing process.

6. Reassemble and remember this is a gift...lol. You are not gonna want to give it away I promise. It will look like a brand spanking new old rifle! Some will talk smack (purists) but I promise they will hang all over you at the range and ask about it and be impressed in the end. Trust me
Can you upload some pics of this finished product you speak of?

http://howtomakeeverything.com/CD3WD/INDEX.HTM
http://gun-deals.com/ammo.php?caliber=7.62x39
http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF...reative=390957
Old 04-04-2013, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrexTracker View Post
Post some pictures. It would be nice to see b4 and after pictures. Otherwise, we don't believe you and assume you traded it for a $100 grocery card at a gun buyback since the T53 was too much work.
LOL, the OP even mentioned my gun in his first post. heres the thread
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=713484

Foreign Car Center
Vallejo, CA