Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 04-04-2013, 5:45 AM

Default WTF ARES ARMOR???! These guys suck.

1. First of all, they billed me MONTHS ago for a product I still haven't received.

2. They are hard to reach, and do not reply to emails

3. If they do reply to emails, its a short, generic reply.

4. They do NOT keep customers updated on products already paid for.

Now, I'm sure there's going to be tons of guys on here saying "they are great guys!" "they are ex military" "they are supporting our gun rights!" For those reasons I waited this long to bash them......but I'm done. A poorly run company is a poorly run company, and they are one if I've ever seen it. If a company is SO busy that they are working around the clock for months on end, they are making money hand over fist. When making money hand over fist, you should hire as many phone/email people as it takes to reply to every email promptly. So...end of rant....

So reason for this thread.....
Has anyone received their products ordered late December?
Old 04-04-2013, 6:19 AM

I ordered in January. They told me they were backlogged until October but trying to get things out by April. You can always cancel your order.

NRA and DOJ Certified Firearms Instructor
Old 04-04-2013, 6:29 AM

lol, ares is backordered 6 months, and they were even before the panic started.

You could always cancel, theyre good people and are easily reached through facebook. You can also see what order theyre currently on.
Old 04-04-2013, 7:02 AM

Im waiting on gear from them as well, but if you read the site prior to ordering you would have read something along the lines of "if you don't think you can wait a LONG time, don't order." Perhaps you should have read the website more thoroughly or put on your big boy pants this morning.
Old 04-04-2013, 7:03 AM
Veteran Member

I cancelled my order in Dec after i came to the same conclusion
Old 04-04-2013, 7:07 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjdesertfox View Post
lol, ares is backordered 6 months, and they were even before the panic started.

You could always cancel, theyre good people and are easily reached through facebook. You can also see what order theyre currently on.
I've got no beef with Ares armor, but the Facebook contact is crap. Lots of us that will not use it. Telephone still trumps all.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-04-2013, 7:16 AM
CGN Contributor

I have not ordered anything from Ares,that being said, Any company that takes your money months prior to being able to fulfill/deliver the product is suspect at best. I understand keeping payment info on file to be charged when product is available,but charging months ahead of that on the premise that you will probably get it is ridiculous. What happens if said company goes bankrupt,or is charged with some crime and shut down? Just my $.02
Old 04-04-2013, 7:28 AM
Banned

Are the items custom made specifically for each customer and unable to be easily sold if a buyer backs out?

If not, then requiring payment up front for an item to be delivered months later is a sign of a company with major cash flow problems.
Old 04-04-2013, 7:29 AM

"All of our 80 percent products and half our nylon products are out of stock. We are doing everything we can to reduce lead times on our out of stock products. We have hired additional people to help. Please bear with us through this stage as we grow to better serve our customers. PLEASE place your order only if you are willing to wait for your product(s). We are spending large amounts of money to drastically reduce lead times. We do NOT want you to place an order if you are NOT 100 PERCENT SURE that you are willing to wait!"

Quoted directly from their site, current as of 4/01/2013. I also place an order on 01/04/2013 and was told expected shipment in May.

Last edited by 3lsmc7; 04-04-2013 at 7:36 AM.. Reason: added info
Old 04-04-2013, 7:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.W.M.V. View Post
I've got no beef with Ares armor, but the Facebook contact is crap. Lots of us that will not use it. Telephone still trumps all.

It's 2013, get real. That said, if you have a question about an order Facebook probably isn't the place to ask..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
So suck it HK, If I wanted an $800 pistol with a crap trigger I would just go buy 2 Glocks.
Old 04-04-2013, 7:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Wtf did you buy?
Old 04-04-2013, 7:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklyte27 View Post
Wtf did you buy?
Probably an %80 lower?

That is still on pre-panic prices

Follow us on Instagram!
Old 04-04-2013, 8:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlyincali View Post
1. First of all, they billed me MONTHS ago for a product I still haven't received.

2. They are hard to reach, and do not reply to emails

3. If they do reply to emails, its a short, generic reply.

4. They do NOT keep customers updated on products already paid for.

Now, I'm sure there's going to be tons of guys on here saying "they are great guys!" "they are ex military" "they are supporting our gun rights!" For those reasons I waited this long to bash them......but I'm done. A poorly run company is a poorly run company, and they are one if I've ever seen it. If a company is SO busy that they are working around the clock for months on end, they are making money hand over fist. When making money hand over fist, you should hire as many phone/email people as it takes to reply to every email promptly. So...end of rant....

So reason for this thread.....
Has anyone received their products ordered late December?
Their customer service sucks.

Ex-Military has ZERO to do with customer service.

As another thread suggested, cash flow may indeed be the issue.

Try calling 760-685-6321 to get a refund, or ask your cc company for a charge back if possible.

-hanko

I never once felt out of place or that people were intolerant...but then again, I didn't ask any dumbass questions ...saxman

“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
Mark Twain
Old 04-04-2013, 8:42 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chead View Post
It's 2013, get real. That said, if you have a question about an order Facebook probably isn't the place to ask..
Seriously? So you don't have a telephone?
Way more people with phones than ate on Facebook.
And for the record... Frak Facebook with a rusty iron fire poker.

Old 04-04-2013, 8:51 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Seriously? So you don't have a telephone?
Way more people with phones than ate on Facebook.
And for the record... Frak Facebook with a rusty iron fire poker.

Oh course I have a phone, I just don't need to use it every time I have a question about something. About my own order, sure. For most other things Facebook is just fine.

Not sure what your problem with Facebook is. It's pretty good at what it's built to do and one of those things is pages for businesses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
So suck it HK, If I wanted an $800 pistol with a crap trigger I would just go buy 2 Glocks.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:21 AM

Date Ordered: 12/18/2012 0131 PM
Order Number: ORD1008895443
Received USPS tracking e-mail: 2/26/2013
Item ordered: "80 Percent AR-15 Lower Receiver Raw"
I received my 80% lower receiver in the mail about 1-2 days after the notification.

My friend (jh4db536)'s order
Ordered on: 12/19/2012 0856 PM
Order Number: ORD9322761048
He still has not received his "80 Percent AR-15 Lower Receiver Raw" from Ares Armor even though he ordered exactly one day after me and he has sent multiple e-mails and has not received any replies.

How can someone who orders a day after me still not receive their item? I guess my friend got the short end of the straw and maybe Ares Armor ran out of inventory when they received their initial shipment from Tactical Machining in Florida. Fortunately, the e-mails that I sent to Ares Armor were replied back to rather quickly.

After a month of ordering and no status update, I decided to e-mail Ares Armor where they told me they were backordered and would not receive a shipment till March at the earliest but maybe around May (Mar-May). I guess I was lucky that one day in Feb, I got a USPS tracking notice. After doing some research on calguns.net and online, I found out from that Ares Armor gets their 80% lower receivers from Tactical Machining in Florida. If Tactical Machining has no 80% lowers, then Ares Armor has no 80% lowers. Ares Armor lists the item on their website and does not say "no inventory available" or "backordered till May" which is probably why the OP feels upset. The e-mail that I sent to Ares Armor was replied back within a day or two and they told me upfront what was going to happen and their ETA, so I can't really be upset over that about them. There is not much you can really do but wait. If you don't want to wait, there is good news since post-Sandy Hook there have been so many different companies that have been sprouting up every other week on CGN or ar15news.com with their own 80% lower receivers. If you don't want to wait 3-6 months for an Ares Armor/Tactical Machining lower receiver, you can get one from Quentin Defense, CNC80, AS&T, buildagun in Orange, Rohg, etc. Unfortunately after Sandy Hook, a lot of people have been price gouging and charging ridiculous amounts of money ($150-250) range for some of the forged all the way to your higher end 7075-T6 billet ones. I paid $96.20 including CA tax + S&H for my Ares Armor 80% lower receiver.

Although I can't really complain or ding Ares Armor on their customer, shipping, business practice, I will complain that there were numerous flaws with the 80% lower receiver I got. When I opened up the package, there were some pretty bad defects in the forging. The left side of the magwell lip had a lot of pitting and cracks which reminded me of some of the potholes that you finding driving on the 5 freeway. There were a few other areas where there was pitting and divots as well just like a tee box on the golf course. The front magwell lip was uneven and not straight. It was angled off unevenly. I'll try to post up pictures when I get them uploaded sooner or later. Anyways, I guess maybe "what you pay for is what you get?"

I took my 80% Ares Armor lower receiver to Arms Specialty & Tool in Orange and they said my lower receiver was no bueno and told me to return it since even polishing or bead blasting would not fix the issues I mentioned above. Polishing would make the pitting and holes even larger. I will definitely ding them for not doing proper QC and sending me a bottom of the barrel lower receiver. They didn't manufacture the lower receiver since TM did, but they need to do a better job of QC.

In conclusion: If you order from Ares Armor, be expected to wait a while till you get your lower receiver. They are getting their forgings from Tactical Machining in Florida. If TM doesn't have any lowers, then Ares Armor won't either. Hopefully you don't get a defective or "chainsaw/blem" lower receiver like me.

I don't think starting threads on CGN will help you guys get your lower receivers any faster, but if you need to get a refund or get in contact with someone. These e-mails and number might help you guys out.
760-650-ARES (2737)
joey@aresarmor.com
jeremy@aresarmor.com
Old 04-04-2013, 1:17 PM

Ordered 2 chest rigs in December, one shipped, one was OOS. Called and got an RMA for the one that shipped, confirmed received by Ares through FedEx. 30 days later, still no credit to the card, nobody responds to email, calls do nothing to get the credit. Had to dispute that through the credit card company. The OOS never shipped after 3 months and I called to cancel, after emailing 2 or 3 times without response. Once again no credit to card and I had to dispute through the card company. They have terrible customer service. Eff them.
Old 04-04-2013, 2:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chead View Post
Oh course I have a phone, I just don't need to use it every time I have a question about something. About my own order, sure. For most other things Facebook is just fine.

Not sure what your problem with Facebook is. It's pretty good at what it's built to do and one of those things is pages for businesses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pc487 View Post
Ordered 2 chest rigs in December, one shipped, one was OOS. Called and got an RMA for the one that shipped, confirmed received by Ares through FedEx. 30 days later, still no credit to the card, nobody responds to email, calls do nothing to get the credit. Had to dispute that through the credit card company. The OOS never shipped after 3 months and I called to cancel, after emailing 2 or 3 times without response. Once again no credit to card and I had to dispute through the card company. They have terrible customer service. Eff them.

What! You didnt try facebook? lol

IF you run a business with a phone number, email address, website and take peoples money. You should ANSWER THE PHONE, RETURN PHONE CALLS, RESPOND TO EMAILS and not **** around on Facebook.

If the guys that work there have the time to play on facebook and post here on this forum then they have time to respond to their customers.

IMO I think its irresponsible to take back orders into October. Regardless of what they say on their website. They sold people stuff that could never make it to production. They dont offer an easy way to get refunds and people are forced to dispute with the CC company. Some only have a 90-day window to do that.

What? They are too busy? Then hire someone with all that money you're holding hostage.

Whoever thinks Facebook is an acceptable mode of communication when $1000' of dollars are at stake needs to get their heads checked. What are you going to do when they pull the Facebook page? Check on myspace?
Old 04-04-2013, 3:08 PM
Veteran Member

Sometimes FB is the only method of getting any response from poorly run businesses, gotta call them out in public.

"Any unarmed people are slaves, or are subject to slavery at any given moment." - Dr. Huey P. Newton
Old 04-04-2013, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilSpecMonkey View Post
Date Ordered: 12/18/2012 0131 PM

In conclusion: If you order from Ares Armor, be expected to wait a while till you get your lower receiver. They are getting their forgings from Tactical Machining in Florida. If TM doesn't have any lowers, then Ares Armor won't either. Hopefully you don't get a defective or "chainsaw/blem" lower receiver like me.

I don't think starting threads on CGN will help you guys get your lower receivers any faster, but if you need to get a refund or get in contact with someone. These e-mails and number might help you guys out.
760-650-ARES (2737)
joey@aresarmor.com
jeremy@aresarmor.com

Is this THE Mil-Spec Monkey from YouTube?

http://www.youtube.com/user/milspecmonkey
Old 04-04-2013, 3:22 PM

Also, I had a buddy just order a few 80% lowers from Ares. No reason except that he was panicked that he wouldn't be able to build an AR if a ban gets passed. Total panic buy. He's going to hate seeing this thread!
Old 04-04-2013, 3:32 PM

Wow...to say the least.
Old 04-04-2013, 3:52 PM

I ordered December 20th. Sketchy to no communication unless I reached out, and then very brief, vague responses. I actually received my 80% lower today. Not happy with the quality of the casting. Mine's not as bad as Milspec Monkey, but still lots of flaws in the casting. Mine came with one tear off paper towel around it as the packing material. It was floating around in the box.

About the only positive I have to say about them is they are holding the line on price, still haven't raised it from when I ordered in December, and I do respect that. However, seeing the quality they are selling, it's a good thing I only paid $90. I certainly wouldn't order from them again.
Old 04-04-2013, 3:54 PM
Veteran Member

I just called 760-685-6321 to ask about 80% lowers and machining and they were helpful.
Old 04-04-2013, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombats Are Dangerous View Post
Is this THE Mil-Spec Monkey from YouTube?

http://www.youtube.com/user/milspecmonkey
Unfortunately, I'm not the same Milspecmonkey who sells patches and has that YouTube channel, but I do really like his blog and patches, so I thought I would take the sn since most of my other monkey related screen names on this forum were already taken. Maybe I should do MilSpecMonkey logo on my Ares Armor 80% lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolus View Post
I just called 760-685-6321 to ask about 80% lowers and machining and they were helpful.
Glad everything worked out for you. I haven't had any problems with their customer service, but maybe I was lucky I guess compared with my friend's bad experience and some of the others in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clcsocal View Post
I ordered December 20th. Sketchy to no communication unless I reached out, and then very brief, vague responses. I actually received my 80% lower today. Not happy with the quality of the casting. Mine's not as bad as Milspec Monkey, but still lots of flaws in the casting. Mine came with one tear off paper towel around it as the packing material. It was floating around in the box.
You are lucky at least your 80% lower came with a paper towel. My 80% lower came butt nekkid and was floating around in an empty USPS box. geez! I would have been happy with some toilet paper. I guess they are really being ecofriendly since we live in California or maybe they're on a tight budget over there at Ares Armor.
Old 04-04-2013, 4:55 PM
Calguns Addict

You guys are 3 months in. That's nothing. We had a 9 month group buy. When you get over 6 months, then you have something to talk about.
Old 04-04-2013, 5:06 PM
Veteran Member

ahahah i was thinking the same thing. handed over 28,000 dollars and no responses for a month. after the eta of two months. then one day to the next "hi jonathan! your lowers will be ready in two weeks. what day is good for you?"
Old 04-04-2013, 5:25 PM

And who takes $ up front on backorders with no ETA? I can't think of one other retailer who does that. A legit one maybe authorizes the charge to ensure the card's good, but only charges the card once the item ships.
Old 04-04-2013, 5:39 PM
Veteran Member

Can I see pictures of the 80% lowers people have received. Just want to make sure of the quality of these items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloRobotico View Post
heheh, I'm getting double teamed by Harmoniums and Richie

/airtight!
Old 04-04-2013, 7:45 PM

BUY QUENTIN DEFENSE. You wont be disappointed!
Old 04-04-2013, 9:33 PM

Default Ares Armor Lower AR-15

Ares Armor 80%.jpg

Ares Armor Milled.jpg

engraving.jpg
Ares Lower 80% AR-15
Yes you got to wait 3 to 4 months but in my case I was a satisfied customer.
I ordered December and received in March.
While I wait for all the parts to come together the wait was fine because its hard to find everything you need due to panic. All I'm waiting for right now is my upper to ship which is still 30 to 60 days, but it is ordered.
I can't wait to post pics of my finished project when finished.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:27 AM

I finally received my order which I placed in early November. I was getting anxious because they also took my money up front and guaranteed an "early delivery." Well, close to 6 months later and now my order is complete.

I had some reservations when I placed my order because I went directly to their shop and saw that the place was a mess and extremely unorganized. I almost didn't place my order because it does look like they need help with logistics management. I've heard the stories about them before I got there and decided to take a chance and support a small group of entrepreneurs. I share all of your sentiments about how they are currently managing their sales process and about their lack of integrity regarding back orders and true delivery times. It is very difficult to even reconsider placing another order with them, but I think they will manage to survive if they can work out their processes for future orders and fulfillment. (HUGE learning curve)

My 80% lower is great. Their (old) machine shop was awesome even with the long lines (bring a lunch and something to drink). They do have some very knowledgeable guys in the shop that can answer questions about your build and give you some pointers which is a big plus in my book. The big downside is they lack proper backroom support which has these guys running around with their heads cut off and way out of their comfort zone/area of expertise/core competency (whatever you want to call it).

I don't know if this helps all of you that placed orders in December, but I would recommend you hang in there a bit longer. I have several friends that canceled their orders from mid-November and early December (which they might be kicking themselves now); so there might be a chance you get bumped up the queue. But I have also heard from other friends that they are backordered "1000s deep." I can't vouch for that statement but there might be a touch of truth in there somewhere....

Get in contact with Ares thru their "Send Contact Message" link. I always seemed to get a response from them in about 48 hours. Not always with news that I want to hear but at least I knew where I stood. Don't bother calling unless you like getting frustrated......
Old 04-05-2013, 12:57 AM
Lurker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pc487 View Post
And who takes $ up front on backorders with no ETA? I can't think of one other retailer who does that. A legit one maybe authorizes the charge to ensure the card's good, but only charges the card once the item ships.
Budsgunshop dot com

"Saying we don't need guns because we have cops is like saying we don't need fire extinguishers because we have firefighters"

"My lemonade stand was robbed once by two thieves. I shot them both. No more robberies."

"Went to the Giants game yesterday. For opsec reasons I said I was going next week. Can never be to careful."
Old 04-05-2013, 8:49 AM

Speak of the devil: My friend jh4db536 who ordered exactly 1 day after me in my post above just got a USPS tracking e-mail yesterday. I guess maybe I was wrong and ranting and raving on calguns.net actually works or some of the people that have been impatient and cancelling bumped up his order. I guess we'll have to see how the quality of his forging comes out.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:48 AM

i ordered 1-09 got an email on 2-20 "waiting for stock"
I sent them an email yesterday asking them "WTF"

with "panic mode" on I dont expect too get my order quick.BUT i dont expect them to take my money unless they are ready to ship either.

i ordered a lpk from stag 1-20 and never once got an email from them and it just showed up yesterday 4-4.kills me is when i ordered it they said "in-stock" hahaha. I also had to call them for an order number just to be sure they got my order.
Old 04-05-2013, 2:37 PM

I ordered on 12/22/12 and have yet to receive mine yet. Account on there page still shows "Waiting for Stock". A couple of days ago they posted a picture of a big cart full of boxes that they then claimed were orders that were ready to send out of purchases from end of December. I have yet to see any update of my order and they have since taken down the picture.
Old 04-05-2013, 3:05 PM

I ordered early Jan and got an email stating I should get mine April/May. Might be helpful if they simply put a tally on their site of where they were with orders. I know they are busy but that simple update would go a long way to keep people at bay.

But hey, if those who ordered in Dec want to cancel their orders, please do so. Bumps mine up.
Old 04-08-2013, 7:30 AM
Likes Puppy Chow or Ammo
CGN Contributor

Although this post starts with "these guys suck" it would be nice if people keep updating when they get their orders.
Old 04-08-2013, 7:37 AM

Quote:
Frak Facebook with a rusty iron fire poker.
^+1 Agreed.

Makes me laugh when people get upset that their house was broken into.. yet their facebook shows their firearms, valuables, etc., and they post pics from them out of town in Hawaii or some ****. Might as well just say, yo Ive got valuables and they're at home unguarded!

Now back to Ares. I was actually introduced to some of their products yesterday for the first time. I had only heard their name through Calguns up to that point. That being said, the products of theirs that I checked out (sling, backpack, chest rig) was all excellent stuff. High quality 1000 Denier Cordura, excellent zippers, threads, etc. Good stuff. So if you can get past the wait, and are willing to pay in advance, you will at least be getting quality once it finally makes it your way.

Last edited by Foresight88; 04-08-2013 at 7:40 AM..
Old 04-08-2013, 11:11 AM

Just got mine today. Ordered on 12/22/12