Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 06-01-2013, 8:01 PM

Ha! I hope you guts get some news soon.

I like my range in lake arrowhead. Even though I can damn near see it from my house, it is a 45 minute drive on the mountain roads.

Apple valley is a much nicer range, and about an hour drive. I'm considering joining.
Old 06-01-2013, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn folk View Post
Ha! I hope you guts get some news soon.

I like my range in lake arrowhead. Even though I can damn near see it from my house, it is a 45 minute drive on the mountain roads.

Apple valley is a much nicer range, and about an hour drive. I'm considering joining.
sweet! if you join, ill be your sponsor. once youre a member, youll have 100% access to each of the ranges including; pistol (rimfire rifles), trap, centerfire rifles and archery.its pretty cool considering its only open to the public certain times on certain days which makes it only accessible to members 50-75% of the time.
Old 06-01-2013, 8:23 PM

Yeah, the archery range sparked my interest. I need to blow the dust off my bow. And, cough, some of my anchor muscles, cough. It has been a while.
Old 06-02-2013, 5:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperP2005 View Post
its pretty cool considering its only open to the public certain times on certain days which makes it only accessible to members 50-75% of the time.
When did Apple Valley re-open to the public? I ran the IDPA up there from 98 to 2005, and it was closed to the public before I left.
Old 06-02-2013, 5:18 AM

I think they said it was open to the public only during events. And only the event, not the entire range.
Old 06-02-2013, 6:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
I think they said it was open to the public only during events. And only the event, not the entire range.
Well, yes, matches are open to non members, but that is true of all private clubs. They are only there for the match. So if you want to shoot the USPSA match on the last Sunday of the month, you do not need to be a member of either Apple Valley Gun club or USPSA.
Old 06-02-2013, 7:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLander51 View Post
When did Apple Valley re-open to the public? I ran the IDPA up there from 98 to 2005, and it was closed to the public before I left.
I should've refrazed my statement. Haha,That's what I meant by open to the public. Before I was a member, I used to go some mornings, I believe mon or tues to shoot trap.. As well as Thursday evenings and Fridays (pot shoot) that was open to anyone

To all I'm familiar with on CG, if you want to shoot and not worry about the occasional knucklehead, let me know. It's extremely nice to shoot in peace and not have to worry about a range master shouting a seize fire your first time to the line! Lol

*cease.. Sometimes my brain farts.

Last edited by TrapperP2005; 06-02-2013 at 10:53 AM..
Old 06-02-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
I should've refrazed my statement. Haha,That's what I meant by open to the public. Before I was a member, I used to go some mornings, I believe mon or tues to shoot trap.. As well as Thursday evenings and Fridays (pot shoot) that was open to anyone

To all I'm familiar with on CG, if you want to shoot and not worry about the occasional knucklehead, let me know. It's extremely nice to shoot in peace and not have to worry about a range master shouting a seize fire your first time to the line! Lol
That would be 'calling a cease-fire' or 'being ordered to cease firing immediately.' Or in hand and arm signals, hand in front of face, flat palm facing outward with forearm parallel to the deck, with slight movement of the hand up and down in passes over the face! Just thought I'd try to drop a little knowledge so everybody can learn something new everyday, carry on gents.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:49 AM

Nice....Thanks for the write up.

Old 06-02-2013, 7:19 PM

Quote:
OK, so I took my CCW class today at the Apple valley gun club.
I have to say it is a nice range and if you are local to the area, it would be a good place to be a member. alot of good folks there.

My instructor was Captain Jon. He is a Captain with the SBDCO Sheriff and a very mellow, down to earth, good guy. Very professional and patient.

Our class consisted of 21 or 22 people. there were three husband and wife teams. one brother and sister team, and two women there alone, and a man that was probably in his mid 70's. the point was made by the instructor that he was happy to see women there.

in a nut shell, the course consisted of what you might expect.

-transportation laws. vehicles/ airports and the extra check in time required
-gun selection for CCW
- gun fit
-Ammo selection
-no gun mods outside of grip, sights, and approved length of pull adjustments
-night sights. (highly recommended)
-cleaning (very brief)
-storage and safety devices and the related laws
-how to avoid situations
-the legal use of deadly force
-the liability of the use of deadly force
-insurance policies and attorney advice

the class started at 8:00 am an was over at 3:00 pm. we got a 10 minute break every hour and 45 minutes for lunch.

range time started at 3:00 pm and went to 4:45.

the range consisted of 10 rounds per gun with one magazine change or speed loader reload for revolvers each. distance was 5 yards. targets were provided.
Most of the range time was focused on range safety. i had my electronic ear muffs which made it nice to hear the instructions. they will tell you everything you need to do before you get there so you know what to expect and what to do. all you have to do is listen and follow directions. I was in the army so this had already been beaten into my scull. dont load before they tell you to, properly reload, and clear your weapon when you are done. it is actually very easy, 5 yards is no test of marksmanship and is almost too easy. But you have to realize this is self defense and not sniper training. You will hit the target and pass. I dont think failure is possible

One by one you will be called to your target and a little discussion will take place. the worst case is you will hear is, you are anticipating, tugging, or what ever. if you are a noob, you will be told to practice. if you are experienced, you will be told to add stress from a timer and practice. after it is done, you will have an after action review and told to practice. and you might be even told to practice.

I have been around guns my whole life. I am not a pro, i dont compete. I do shoot alot. what I took from this class is first, The SBDCO Sheriff is very supportive of CCW to the point of almost encouraging it. Second, Get yourself some financial coverage, third, Have a lawyer well versed in criminal homocide on speed dial, take some self defense classes if possible. and last practice, practice, practice.

all in all it was a good experience. but I feel that getting your CCW permit is about equal to a 16 year old getting a drivers license. it is just the first step in being responsible and proficient. you should really consider further training.

I wish everybody the best of luck.
Thanks for the range info. Did they have you using your holster at all? The flyer i have states to bring a holster but I don't believe I've seen anyone posting about needing a holster during the range class.

Old 06-02-2013, 8:09 PM
Banned

Regarding Apple Valley gun club, I had heard it is quite small. Something like just 10 or so, adjacent shooting spofs and right off the freeway.

Is this. It true? I'm a long term West End member and live close so another option would be welcome for a change of pace.
Old 06-03-2013, 7:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Bound View Post
Thanks for the range info. Did they have you using your holster at all? The flyer i have states to bring a holster but I don't believe I've seen anyone posting about needing a holster during the range class.
My flyer said to bring a holster for each weapon also, but we did not use a holster at all.

A little side note, It would probably be a good idea to print out the E-Mail you receive from Joyce, along with the range flyer and take it to the class. There were two people there who's names were not on the sign in roster. They were damn near told to leave but the instructor allowed them to write their names in after some back and forth.
Old 06-03-2013, 2:41 PM

Quote:
My flyer said to bring a holster for each weapon also, but we did not use a holster at all.

A little side note, It would probably be a good idea to print out the E-Mail you receive from Joyce, along with the range flyer and take it to the class. There were two people there who's names were not on the sign in roster. They were damn near told to leave but the instructor allowed them to write their names in after some back and forth.
Thanks Mtn folk,
I will take that info with me. Curious on how long til you get you permit in the mail after your range date.

Old 06-03-2013, 4:36 PM

They told me 2 weeks to 30 days. I'll post it up here when I get it.

Which river are you bound for? I am a big fan of Mohave.
Old 06-03-2013, 5:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calplinker View Post
Regarding Apple Valley gun club, I had heard it is quite small. Something like just 10 or so, adjacent shooting spofs and right off the freeway.

Is this. It true? I'm a long term West End member and live close so another option would be welcome for a change of pace.
yes, it's small, 4 pistol bays, 1 shotgun, 1 rifle, 1 indoor. I think membership is closed
Old 06-03-2013, 5:18 PM

Thanks for such a detailed response mtn folk. I look forward to my range day on 6/15.
Old 06-03-2013, 9:54 PM

Default River

Quote:
They told me 2 weeks to 30 days. I'll post it up here when I get it.

Which river are you bound for? I am a big fan of Mohave.
Mohave is very cool, been up there a few times. I have family close to Parker and spend most of my time on the water south of Big River.

Old 06-04-2013, 1:19 PM

I've never been down there, I should check it out sometime. Is it stern drive friendly?
Old 06-04-2013, 4:05 PM

Hi all, those with a Devore range date on the 15th, I was just called and told we will meet at headquarters for the classroom portion of the day due to them adding more people to qualifying this day. I think that's great since its supposed to be 100.
Old 06-04-2013, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2025allen View Post
Hi all, those with a Devore range date on the 15th, I was just called and told we will meet at headquarters for the classroom portion of the day due to them adding more people to qualifying this day. I think that's great since its supposed to be 100.
Sweet.....Was coming on to say the same thing.

Old 06-04-2013, 8:16 PM

Quote:
I've never been down there, I should check it out sometime. Is it stern drive friendly?
Typically jet boats are the norm in this area because the water depth fluctuates so much. Its pretty shallow every morning with some deep areas if you know where to go. With the stern drive, you would be pretty safe in the evening when the water is way up. You don't even really see pontoons and outboards coming out til the water comes up a little. We're talking rock bars and trees exposed shallow!

Old 06-06-2013, 5:24 PM

Got my range date today.....NEXT WEEKEND!!
Old 06-06-2013, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evlblkrfl View Post
Got my range date today.....NEXT WEEKEND!!
Congrats....San Bernardino?

Old 06-06-2013, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylenol9999 View Post
I don't' get it. My interview was February 6th, still no call. I call every 2 weeks and its always the same thing "still in process". Either my file got misplaced or they don't process them in the order they were received.
Have you heard anything yet?
Old 06-06-2013, 6:55 PM

Yes, San Bernardino HQ @ 8am for the "saftey course" then off to the range.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Have you heard anything yet?
I called on Tuesday, I was told that they are waiting for Riverside where I previously lived to respond to info request. Supposedly DOJ and neighborhood check is done. Have you called them?
Old 06-07-2013, 4:26 AM

They called me on Monday or Tuesday to tell me all of the information they needed was on the investigators desk for review. That's all for now.. Kind of a bummer..
Old 06-07-2013, 9:48 AM

Quote:
They called me on Monday or Tuesday to tell me all of the information they needed was on the investigators desk for review. That's all for now.. Kind of a bummer..
When was your interview?
Old 06-07-2013, 10:56 AM

They just called to confirm my approval!! My interview was feb twenty-something..
Old 06-07-2013, 11:05 AM

Awesome, congrats.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:31 AM

Just got the call, I am approved. Range class on the 15th of June!!!!
Old 06-07-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylenol9999 View Post
Just got the call, I am approved. Range class on the 15th of June!!!!
Hahaha! Sweet! I'll be there as well! There's going to be a ton of people..
Old 06-07-2013, 5:02 PM

That is great news guys. I'm glad you finally got the news you were waiting for.

Ha! After we are all legit, we should meet up at a Starbucks! :-)
Old 06-07-2013, 5:22 PM

Sounds good.

What is the story on the holster requirement for the range class?
Old 06-07-2013, 5:45 PM

Quote:
That is great news guys. I'm glad you finally got the news you were waiting for.

Ha! After we are all legit, we should meet up at a Starbucks! :-)
I'm game.
Old 06-07-2013, 5:54 PM

They asked me to bring holsters but we didn't use them. Everybody put their weapons on the table at the firing line. They were inspected for proper safeties and function and that your serial numbers match the range card. You were then instructed to load your mags/ speed loaders and walk forward of the table. Once everybody was on line, you were told to load. Then a ready on the left, ready on the right, ready on the firing line. Fire on the targets. then you fire, reload, fire, clear and make safe. You have to wait until everyone is done. One by one you will have your guns checked and once everyone is clear, return to the table, grab another gun and repeat. At no time did we use a holster.

Last edited by Mtn folk; 06-07-2013 at 5:58 PM..
Old 06-07-2013, 6:28 PM

congratulations guys! Hopefully I am not far behind you. I had my appt the beginning of April. Looks like SBC has been clearing out most of their Feb/March appts.
Old 06-07-2013, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerider View Post
congratulations guys! Hopefully I am not far behind you. I had my appt the beginning of April. Looks like SBC has been clearing out most of their Feb/March appts.
My instructor told us they were trying to get the process down to 90 days. Or there about.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:14 PM

For all of us with the June 15th range date, we should have a Calguns section.
Old 06-09-2013, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2025allen View Post
For all of us with the June 15th range date, we should have a Calguns section.
Haha sounds good!