Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > L.A. Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 10:01 PM

Default Review - American Defense Enterprises

3 words - AVOID AVOID AVOID.
Please do yourself a favor and stay away from this fraudulent enterprise.
I had the misfortune of taking a combat handgun 1 class with ADE (the last Sat. in march). I didn't do as much research on them as I should have. My first impression upon showing up to LAX Firing Range at 7:15am was that I was about to take a low budget traffic school except the instructors are adorned in black military BDU's and cheesy baseball caps.
The owner of ADE is a Mr. Bill Beasley that claims to be a former special forces operator from the vietnam era, I'm not disputing this but the only proof is his word. The "classroom" just happens to be the storage room for LAX firing range(or so it looked) and was very crowded. with a mixed array of personas,
ranging from the very novice first time shooter to the slightly more experienced novice. I've been shooting for many years and I was looking to do something other than poke holes in paper targets or plink cans in the desert with friends.
The 1st 45 mins consisted of instructor intro's - though no real background info is given. None were former military or LEO's, they just seemed to be shooting enthusiasts that are teaching handgun defense tactics - I doubt anyone of them has ever been involved in a gunfight let alone a life threatening situation.
The youngest on of the instructors was touted as being one of the only white american Ninja's in existence but from what I have researched - if you have this type of training you never divulge that you are a ninja. He also has no battle scars from fighting. Even low level MMA fighters have some type of battle scars but this is beside the point as he might be very good at martial arts. They spent about 30 minutes telling us how badass they were and how they have trained Navy Seals, SWAT, and various other tactical organizations.
These people wouldn't be allowed on any military base let alone train special forces or PD. I can't belive they make this claim with being able to back it up.
This type of training is very unregulated. Not one single certificate or accreditation posted. Even SCUBA diving classes post cert's in their classes.

Now we are off to the range, standing shoulder to shoulder on a firing line with complete strangers, some with and some without firearms experience. After about 8 or 9 dry practices of unholstering and aiming and dry firing and reholstering we were given the instruction to fire on command, this went for about for about 20 mins. We then started firing while walking towards the target and then away from the target - still shoulder to shoulder with my new gun buddies. This includes changing mags by dropping your mag on the ground and the person next to you stepping on it - not that the mag will be damaged but a newbie shooter stepping on a metal mag on a polished concrete floor = bad idea.
Next we are practicing multiple target shooting while moving around barriers - though I can see the purpose of some of these excersises I think novice shooters should build up to this not doing this activity 1.5 hours after showing up to a class. While this is going on Mr. Beasley is nonchalantly shooting at targets that are 5 t0 6 feet away from other instructors and students and then proclaims that "we are professionals, lighten up" yes I did hear him say this.
This was the most ridiculous activity I have ever seen, just absolute bafoonary.
Then some of the instructors showed off their quick draw and fire techniques and granted they are good shots BUT this is a defense class and we live in LA not 1865 Tombstone Arizona. I'm not walking around LA with a gun on my side in a tactical holster. What type of gunfight do these people think they are going to engage in.
These instructors live in some fantasy world, they work in a cubicle and wait to clock out and go home and play Call of Duty or teach this class - maybe they should have joined a police force.

After helping the instructors move the targets off the range(cause the class went long) we sat in the classroom for more back patting and a knife fighting demonstration to sell another class to the coolaid drinkers. And of course the tried to sell their specially designed knife that they invented - it opens upon removal from your pocket. Little do they know that this knife has been around for over 30 years and they are charging $175 for it. They pepper people with scare tactics and make them believe that this knife will save their bacon in a bad situation but they don't teach anyone situational awareness.

Anyway - if you want to spend 125 bux plus ammo and run the risk of getting shot in the back or hip then by all means take this class.
But I recommend finding a better class even if it means paying a bit more and driving a bit further.

I hope this helps - stay thirsty for freedom my friends.
Old 04-23-2013, 9:54 AM

I took Combat Handgun 1 & 2 with ADE a couple of years ago, and though i do agree there was a lot of bragging on the part of the instructors, I did enjoy the course, and felt I learned quite a bit from them. I was a total amateur at the time, having only ever shot a couple hundred rounds at the local indoor range, and having just purchased my first handgun.

They do try to sell you on other classes, and they lay the pressure on thick.

All in all, for a beginner, and having never taken any other gun-related courses, I would still recommend this course to another beginner.

Beasley is a bit of a drama queen sometimes, and does try to sell, sell, sell, but he seems to be a good guy. Just my two cents.
Old 04-24-2013, 3:40 PM
Veteran Member

Given what youtube video's I've seen of their training classes, they don't really emphasize SAFETY a whole lot. I wouldn't recommend them to anybody just on the pure safety violations I've seen on their video's.

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you." - Randy Paush, Carnegie Mellon University

Old 06-15-2014, 9:40 AM
Veteran Member

I really wish government organizations like the United States Navy would pursue companies like this with cease and desist. Watching their YouTube video? What a joke. I find it highly unlikely that they trained anybody in special operations, the Marines, etc. AND Victoria's Secret models? Really? How many students have gotten injured in their classes?

Old 06-15-2014, 10:11 AM
CGSSA Leader

Good to know ...i will avoid when the time comes to sign uo for a class...thanks...