Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:31 AM
Irritable Smut Lordô
CGN Contributor

Default AutoCAD: I Hate It.

I'm an Autodesk Inventor guy. I managed to skip almost entirely over using AutoCAD, except for a project a couple years back using AutoCAD P&ID, which doesn't depend on drawing at all - you just click and drop valves, pipe segments, etc.

Well, now that's coming back to bite me. I've got a project to do now that has to be done in AutoCAD. Can't do it in Inventor, not no way, not no how. Inventor simply doesn't have the tool set to do it.

I'm getting a whole week's worth of learning packed into - so far - 40 hours (out of the past 48) of ****ing with this horrid piece of **** software. Things like isometric dimensions, that are just completely automatic in Inventor - those took me 36 hours to figure out how to do in AutoCAD.

Who the **** thought that it was a good idea to require someone to memorize 50 bajillion keyboard commands, none of which seem to be less than 5 characters? Every time I want to change the orientation of a dimension line, for instance, I actually have to type DIMEDIT, then hit enter, then click (yeah, you can click for this part, after entering a 7-character command!) to tell it what orientation I want, then pick two points to actually set the orientation.

Gah. I'm not saying I'll necessarily turn down gigs like this ... but I'll sure as **** bump my rate if I have to use AutoCAD again. **** this ****.

No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic68220_5.gif
Old 03-31-2013, 1:56 AM

Your pain is real.

I would say that about the time you get comfy, they will change the program.
Old 03-31-2013, 2:16 AM

So now you can opensource all sorts of gun parts for 3d printing
Old 03-31-2013, 1:49 PM
Veteran Member

Some of my customers prefer products like SolidWorks. Perhaps try that one?
Old 03-31-2013, 2:19 PM
Irritable Smut Lordô
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skisly View Post
Your pain is real.

I would say that about the time you get comfy, they will change the program.

I have zero intention of ever getting comfy with AutoCAD. It is an enemy, to be fought at every turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarovich View Post
So now you can opensource all sorts of gun parts for 3d printing

I could do that already with Inventor, which is MUCH better for that sort of thing. My day job occasionally involves getting stuff I've made with Inventor 3D printed, so I'm not unfamiliar with how to make that stuff happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbearbear View Post
Some of my customers prefer products like SolidWorks. Perhaps try that one?

Nah, Solidworks is ... unpleasant as well. I've got probably 8,000 hours on Inventor (which is SW's main non-Dassault Systemes competitor) over the past 4 years, and it suits 99.9% of my needs perfectly. The situation I'm dealing with now is piping isos. Inventor will create FANTASTIC piping systems, no problem. The routed systems module does amazing work ... problem is, it won't do P&ID's or standard piping iso drawings. For that I need AutoCAD Plant 3D ... except that the stuff that I'm doing is all VERY non-standard, apparently, so it's not included in ACP3D's libraries of parts, so I can't make use of the relatively automated procedure for creating the iso drawings ... and that means I need to actually draw this crap from scratch.

Piss on AutoCAD. Inventor is supposedly their flagship design product, so why don't they have P&IDs / iso drawings available there? Oh, sure, it can generate a .PCF file for ISOGEN ... but you can't buy ISOGEN. You have to get it as an OEM component of another software package ... and AutoCAD Plant 3D - which includes the ISOGEN code - can't import .PCF files!!!!!

As much as I love Inventor (and I really do!), right now I'm really pissed at Autodesk.

No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

Last edited by Peter.Steele; 03-31-2013 at 2:22 PM..
Old 03-31-2013, 2:22 PM

I took a begining autocad course in college. After 2 days I was like f#uck that. I dropped course and never looked back. Good luck I'm sure you'll figure it out since it seems you have technical knowledge and experience.
Old 03-31-2013, 3:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Interesting to read your comments.

Last summer I spent 2 weeks being trained on Inventor and Revet. Cool programs.

I've heard AutoCad is a lot harder to use.
Old 03-31-2013, 3:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

MICROSTATION!!!!!!! Enough said! Seriously, look into micostation. You can even work on .DWGs in it or, you can convert .DGNs to .DWGs when you're done.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.
Old 03-31-2013, 3:45 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

I'm just not spreckety your linggity here. I just learned 'msconfig' and I am feeling pretty good about that. Computarded here.
Old 04-07-2013, 2:54 AM

The last time I used AutoCad was about 8 years ago and I used it the prior 13 years doing design/engineering work. I remember that the later versions of Acad at that time were more icon oriented than the earlier versions but I was able to configure the earlier versions I was working with to use one and two stroke commands, for example "dimedit" would be "de". It really speeded up drawing times. I took a course to learn Acad initially and like anything, the more you practice, the better you'll likely get. Now though, it's been 8 plus years since opening up any .dwg file and I'm sure the Acad has gotten more cumbersome. I'd likely be in the same situation the OP was in if I tried now.
Old 04-07-2013, 3:26 PM

I havent used ACAD in about 5 years but once you learn the keyboard commands its cake.
Old 04-07-2013, 3:53 PM

Had to take a engineering graphic course a few semesters back, final project was creating a pipeline in AutoCAD. At first I swear I could do most of the work by hand faster but as the semester went on we got extremely fast, once you memorize the keyboard commands it shouldn't be that big of a problem.
Old 04-07-2013, 5:00 PM

Default AND......

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
MICROSTATION!!!!!!! Enough said! Seriously, look into micostation. You can even work on .DWGs in it or, you can convert .DGNs to .DWGs when you're done.
It worked well with Caice for 3-D modeling (pretty pictures, x-sections, profiles, supers, drainage, quantites, etc)!
Not that i really care these days.........retired!!!!
Old 04-07-2013, 7:11 PM

Aw yeah, Autocad.

Old 04-07-2013, 7:24 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm not the only one. SWEET. I'm showing this thread to my boss tomorrow LOL
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home, let me die in an empty pile of brass.
http://www.huntfishadventures.com/images/nra.gif
NRA Member
Old 04-07-2013, 7:27 PM
Calguns Addict

I've been struggling with the newest iteratrion of AutoCad Electrical lately. I feel you......

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: ĎI canít wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!í
Old 04-07-2013, 7:30 PM
In Memoriam

autocad will go away, after a lot of oldtimers do.
Old 04-08-2013, 1:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Steele View Post
I'm an Autodesk Inventor guy. I managed to skip almost entirely over using AutoCAD, except for a project a couple years back using AutoCAD P&ID, which doesn't depend on drawing at all - you just click and drop valves, pipe segments, etc.

Well, now that's coming back to bite me. I've got a project to do now that has to be done in AutoCAD. Can't do it in Inventor, not no way, not no how. Inventor simply doesn't have the tool set to do it.

I'm getting a whole week's worth of learning packed into - so far - 40 hours (out of the past 48) of ****ing with this horrid piece of **** software. Things like isometric dimensions, that are just completely automatic in Inventor - those took me 36 hours to figure out how to do in AutoCAD.

Who the **** thought that it was a good idea to require someone to memorize 50 bajillion keyboard commands, none of which seem to be less than 5 characters? Every time I want to change the orientation of a dimension line, for instance, I actually have to type DIMEDIT, then hit enter, then click (yeah, you can click for this part, after entering a 7-character command!) to tell it what orientation I want, then pick two points to actually set the orientation.

Gah. I'm not saying I'll necessarily turn down gigs like this ... but I'll sure as **** bump my rate if I have to use AutoCAD again. **** this ****.
Is there anyone(aside from masochists) who actually likes Autocad?
Old 04-08-2013, 6:37 PM
Irritable Smut Lordô
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcoe View Post
Is there anyone(aside from masochists) who actually likes Autocad?

There's a guy that I work with that seems to like it quite well, but then he's also been working with it off and on since he was in high school, before the common availability of the mouse. When I started ranting about keyboard commands, he was like "well, you can customize the commands ..." He seemed a little embarrassed though, like he'd just realized how much time he'd invested in that horrible pile of crap.

Fortunately, I don't have to break out AutoCAD very often. I've got two more sheets to squeeze out over the next couple weekends, and after that it'll be a while before I have to do it again. I like Inventor SO much better. I actually LOVE Inventor. If I had to choose between my wife and Inventor ... Inventor doesn't do the dishes, but then neither does my wife. It'd be a tough pick.

Old 04-08-2013, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Steele View Post
You're doing it the hard way.

It's a little tricky to find where all the shortcuts are, but once you do doing each operation is pretty quick. For example: DIMEDIT can be done the way you do it, OR you can right-click, select properties, then simply change the orientation in the drop-down box and save it for future use if you like. Going through the "Dimensions" menu on the ribbon is another way.

Note: This only works for AutoCAD 2000 and later.
Old 04-08-2013, 8:30 PM
Irritable Smut Lordô
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by warthog1984 View Post
You're doing it the hard way.

It's a little tricky to find where all the shortcuts are, but once you do doing each operation is pretty quick. For example: DIMEDIT can be done the way you do it, OR you can right-click, select properties, then simply change the orientation in the drop-down box and save it for future use if you like. Going through the "Dimensions" menu on the ribbon is another way.

Note: This only works for AutoCAD 2000 and later.

Or as an alternative, you could just use Inventor, where dimensions are automatically aligned / isometric / linear / angular / radial / diameters depending on the orientation of the lines / points being dimensioned. If for some reason the software didn't pick the right one, you just right-click while you're creating the dimension and pick something else off the menu.

It's a lot easier. **** AutoCAD. And the isometric dimensions are actually isometric, without having to custom-draw all the extension lines and dimension arrows.