Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 03-30-2013, 8:52 PM

Default Garand Purchase... What else do I look for?

Looking to possibly buy a Garand. This is what I've come up with so far as a check list. Can anyone add to this? Does anyone know anyone who's a Garand pro I can pay to look one over? BTW a fantastic website for checking Garand -- http://www.garandgear.com/inspecting-your-m1-garand I’m looking for at least a correct or collector’s quality... Thus far what I've learned to check for is: (thank God for the Internet)

----Is the bore is bright and shiny?

----Muzzle wear and throat erosion / wear numbers (looking for something like TE of 1 and MW of .80)

----Barrel not “shot out” --for ref. on that and how to tell -- at 10:30 on the timeline here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwe4rPDnM2A helps partly gauge this. Basically tip of live (not dummy b/c they're shaped differently) ammo point turned backwards and stuck in the barrel opening – there should still be 1/16 of an inch before the casing.

----Does the stock have a well struck cartouche DAS stamp?

----Of course, no cracks, repairs, no rust, pitting, or corrosion.

----Trap door on the butt stock that houses a cleaning rod I think was standard (?)

----Milled (not stamped) trigger guard – the stamped ones are flimsy and WILL break. (however... these can be replaced at not too much cost)

----The gas system should be tight. You can tell by grasping the gas cylinder at the front sight and twist it. A little bit of play is normal and necessary, but if it's really sloppy, the rifle probably has problems with the splines that mate the gas housing and the barrel. A loose gas cylinder will totally ruin accuracy.

----/if at all possible, dismount the gas cylinder so that you can see the end of the operating rod. If the surface on the end is chipped, eroded, badly pitted or has chunks missing at the edge, that's very bad –VERY costly fix.

----Does the rear sight move up and down, left and right when the knobs are turned? You can see the movement if you crank through a dozen clicks or so. If the sight doesn't move or if the knobs are very difficult to turn, that's bad and expensive to fix.

----Clip extraction and ejection: The loaded clip should seat easily with thumb pressure. When the last round is ejected, the rifle should pop the clip out. Conversely if the clip has to be forced into the rifle or if the rifle doesn't eject the empty clip, there are problems. This is not a full test of function, but it highlights really big problems.

Thanks for reading!!!

Last edited by GayGuns; 03-30-2013 at 9:02 PM..
Old 03-30-2013, 8:58 PM
Banned

have you looked into the CMP program and their grade of rifles?
Old 03-30-2013, 9:03 PM

Go CMP for your first, they're drying up but I got my first from them and I'm happy

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 03-30-2013, 9:05 PM

Default yes, but..

Yeah.. checked CMP. Besides being expensive (although I hear you get what you pay for) I started getting glazy-eyed b/c it seemed like they had a mind boggling amount of requirements or hoops to jump thru... Or did I misunderstand...?
Old 03-30-2013, 9:07 PM

Not too bad, but the drying up of stock has driven up the prices for what you will get. They are by no means beauties (the affordable ones I mean) but they are history and go bang lol

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 03-30-2013, 9:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayGuns View Post
Yeah.. checked CMP. Besides being expensive (although I hear you get what you pay for) I started getting glazy-eyed b/c it seemed like they had a mind boggling amount of requirements or hoops to jump thru... Or did I misunderstand...?
Mind boggling requirement of hoops?

Be a US citizen, get a form stamped by a notary, join a club for $20, and get a range officer to sign off on a form showing that you aren't an idiot(or any of the other half dozen exemptions/included activities).

Also, CMP = expensive? They're the cheapest way to get a garand.
Old 03-30-2013, 9:21 PM
Banned

you have to qualify at a match too, but that's not hard. irons only, no glass.
Old 03-30-2013, 9:46 PM
Calguns Addict

You will NOT find a better price for a comparable Garand than the CMP. I just sold a CMP Service Grade Garand on Gunbroker for $1500. They're $650 shipped to your door from the CMP. I made enough on that sale to buy a Service Grade Special (basically an unused Garand with new wood), 800 rounds of .30-06, and 100 enblock clips.

Fulfil the requirements, and buy a service grade, or if you can afford it a service grade special. You won't regret it.
Old 03-30-2013, 9:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Also, you don have to qualify at a match anymore. The CA HSC card that you have to have to purchase a handgun in CA fulfills the firearm activity requirement, as does a hunter safety course, an NRA pistol course, and a whole bunch of other things. You can join the M1 collectors club for $14.95 for a year membership at M1collectorsclub.com. That fulfills your club requirement. You can send in a copy of the confirmation email from them as proof of club membership. Send in a copy of your birth cert as proof of age and citizenship. Full out the paperwork, have it notorized, and send it in.

You can do it all in an afternoon. I did.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:06 PM
CGSSA Leader

You can also meet the "Live Fire Course" requirement at Appleseed. Just sayin'.

We send lots of people to CMP.

My own CMP Garand is a '54 HRA Service Grade, and it is a tack-driving thing of beauty. Best deal going in centerfire rifles today, hands down.

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:46 PM
Calguns Addict

They did away with the live fire requirement some years ago. It is now "Marksmanship or other firearms related activity". Although I believe Appleseed is excellent and everyone should attend at least one.

Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity: You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your marksmanship related activity does not have to be with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles, pistols, air guns or shotguns. Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:

Current or past military service.
Current or past law enforcement service
Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).
Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status. - Concealed Carry License.
Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training. - FFL or C&R license.
Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A form for use in completing and certifying your range firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site at http://www.odcmp.com/competitions/fo...rksmanship.pdf
No proof of marksmanship required if over age 60. Proof of club membership and citizenship required for all ages. NOTE: Proof of marksmanship activity is not required for purchase of ammunition, parts, publications or memorabilia.

Edit: although it does not say on the eligibility site, Orest, the CEO of the CMP has said that the CA HSC is acceptable proof of "other firearm related activity". Guys on this site have ordered using their HSC.

Go check out the C&R section for lots of Garand threads.

Last edited by Lone_Gunman; 03-30-2013 at 10:51 PM..
Old 03-30-2013, 10:49 PM

I was thinking of "Correct" grade... which by their stats run around 1,100 to 1,500. and they're sold out of. If I buy a Garand I want something keepsake -- something that'll at least hold it's value if not appreciate.. http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/m1garand.htm Thanks for your help.

Just found one locally.. but even if it does not meet the requirements (and I'm not holding my breath) spelled out above (albeit difficult for old novice me to discern tho) I will likely get approved at CMP for my next one -- Hey I can't help it. I was born this way. Obsessed with guns!!!

Last edited by GayGuns; 03-30-2013 at 10:56 PM..
Old 03-30-2013, 11:05 PM
Calguns Addict

IMHO the correct grades are gone forever at anything close to that price. The Service Grade Specials are the next best thing at at priced very well. The Springfield Armory ones are already gone too, but the HRAs are still there. There were only around 400,000 HRAs ever made too.

This quote is from Orest, the CEO of the CMP regarding the Service Grade Specials.
This is the thread. http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=98442

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orest View Post
The SGS has all original metal, to include the barrel. It is basically an unused rifle that we received without wood and we installed newly mnaufactured wood on it.

A regular service grade is basically a used rifle with mixed parts. Many already come with the new walnut wood.

NO - putting new wood on a srevice grade does not turn it into an unused, all original parts as it came the factory rifle.

Note this is the Service Grade Special, not the CMP special which is made with a new production barrel and refinished parts.

If this latest (2016) assault weapon (semi auto) ban passes... I will simply install hydraulically actuated rotating bolts, and jimmy slap triggers. They can't regulate what they don't understand.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum
\_(ツ)_/
Old 03-30-2013, 11:18 PM

I just got some pic of the one local... it looks really nice. Gorgeous stock to it. So -- next Q is -- can anyone refer a Gararnd pro that can do an assessment?
Old 03-30-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Gunman View Post

This quote is from Orest, the CEO of the CMP regarding the Service Grade Specials.
This is the thread. http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=98442
Thank you Sir!!

i think this (below) is what you were talking about Service Grade... Sounds good to me.

RM1HRASSP

M1 Garand, Service Grade HRA (Harrington & Richardson) Special.
Allow 30-60 days for delivery. HRA collector grade metal in excellent almost new condition. Walnut stocks and handguards and associated hardware are new manufacture. NOT original HRA manufacture.

$950 Effective 1-3-2012

----------

Seems like Atlantic Firearms is doing some refurbishing for $1,300.:

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/comp....html?Itemid=0

Their description is:

M1 Garand, semi auto rifle, these beauty's start out as original Springfield USGI M1 rifles . All M1's are stripped down to its components, bolts & trigger groups broken down, stacking swivels & sights removed. All metal is then reparked and gas cylinder reblued. all parts have been gauged & passed, including index, head-space, timing, muzzle, firing pin protrusion, gas cylinder & op rod piston wear. A new barrel is installed and the gun is totally refinished with a new beautiful wood stock installed . The M1 Garands are completely rebuilt, in excellent working condition .After all of this this the rifles are basically BEAUTIFUL & almost brand new , backed up by a one year warranty. The rifles are shipped in a padded rifle case for storage & protection. This is a chance to own a true M1 Garand in as new condition for a reasonable price .

Last edited by GayGuns; 03-30-2013 at 11:27 PM..
Old 03-30-2013, 11:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Yep, the HRA SGS that you referenced above was exactly what I was talking about. I actually have one on order right now. The Arlantic Firearms ones sound exactly like the CMP Special grades that I think are selling for $995. The only down side is the current CMP wait, but it's worth it to me. Also the fact that it was a CMP rifle and comes with the CMP documentation makes a difference in selling price later. CMP rifles sell for more on the secondary market.

If this latest (2016) assault weapon (semi auto) ban passes... I will simply install hydraulically actuated rotating bolts, and jimmy slap triggers. They can't regulate what they don't understand.
\_(ツ)_/

Last edited by Lone_Gunman; 03-30-2013 at 11:36 PM..
Old 03-31-2013, 12:37 AM
Banned

all this talk of Garands had me wanting one. thanks CalGuns
Old 03-31-2013, 12:45 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S470FM View Post
you have to qualify at a match too, but that's not hard. irons only, no glass.
No you don't.

The requirements to join the CMP are as follows:

US citizenship.
Notarized page(a whole $10).
Membership of a CMP affiliated club(RWVA, GCA, plenty of others that are dirt cheap).
Meeting the firearm proficiency requirement OR it's equivalent, which only requires getting signed off by range staff, PD, shooting in a course like appleseed(which really just meets the range staff requirement), exemptions for LEO and military, and apparently they've been accepting CA handgun safety certs now.

There is no requirement to shoot in a match or demonstrate any proficiency beyond being able to safely operate a firearm(doesn't have to be a garand).

http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/eligibility.htm

I just don't understand where people are getting this stuff from like needing to shoot in a match or something. Hasn't been a requirement for years now, and all of the "hoops" can be jumped through in an hour.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:45 AM

I bought mine through CMP. A few links that might be useful for info. I got most of them on this board by asking for help in the rifle section.

Ammo codes to see if it is corrosive
http://cartridgecollectors.org/?page=headstampcodes

Commercial site for rifles and parts
http://www.fulton-armory.com/M1-Garand.aspx

Army field manual for the garand, pdf file
http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/...DFs/FM23-5.pdf

How to tell when it was made
http://myplace.frontier.com/~aleccorapinski/id11.html

The thread from when I was going to buy one. Ended up using CMP.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...arand+question

Army marksmanship training film
http://archive.org/details/Rifle_Mar...1_Rifle_Part_1
- David M. Bennett
Old 03-31-2013, 6:39 AM

Be aware that Garlands are addictive. Once you have one you'll want another and another and another.

The M1 is a significant piece of history and you owe it to yourself and the rifle to learn as much as you can about the Garland's history and "care and feeding." Fulton Armory's website is a good place to start.

The Truth will set you free, but first it will make you damn mad!

Old Scottish proverb:

If ya' cinna' drive the fooging trook, dinna buy the fooging trook!
Old 03-31-2013, 7:09 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by S470FM View Post
all this talk of Garands had me wanting one. thanks CalGuns
You mean you don't have one already?

OP, can you post pics of the one you are looking at?

Here I am.
Old 03-31-2013, 7:22 AM

Correction: BEFORE you even get the first one -- you'll want another and another and another... I'm only at the learning stage and already I'm 3 planned...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmorgan View Post
Be aware that Garlands are addictive. Once you have one you'll want another and another and another.

The M1 is a significant piece of history and you owe it to yourself and the rifle to learn as much as you can about the Garland's history and "care and feeding." Fulton Armory's website is a good place to start.
Old 03-31-2013, 7:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Oh yeah, Garanditus makes Black Rifle Disease look like a mere infatuation. Take the historical aspect, add the fact that the last USGI forged receiver Garand was made in '57, that there's a very large Garand collecting community to fuel your disease, and the sheer cool factor that Garands have... it can get bad.

Garanditus is just one part of the much larger C&R/Milsurp addiction which can get REALLY expensive I've heard. I'm just in the beginning stages, currently looking at getting my C&R 03 FFL. I've heard that's when it gets REALLY bad.
Old 03-31-2013, 7:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post

OP, can you post pics of the one you are looking at?
Sure.. thanks for asking -- they can be seen here: HERE -- out if respect for the owner I blurred the first 2 digits of the serial number, but it was born in Dec. 1942. (I had to laugh, just the choice of that word "born" denotes the depth of feeling men 'ave about their rifles!!)

PS -- this video is truly entertaining!! http://myplace.frontier.com/~aleccorapinski/id26.html

Last edited by GayGuns; 03-31-2013 at 12:09 PM..
Old 03-31-2013, 7:47 AM

It would appear by your description -- it's a CON-5 Disease (Contagion level 5), worse than Ebola!!! And I've been infected!!!

The upside -- classifed as a disease I can plead powerlessness. Which removes any and all accountablity --esp. when it comes to selling other precious stuff to feed the Garanditus...

Quote:
Oh yeah, Garanditus makes Black Rifle Disease look like a mere infatuation. Take the historical aspect, add the fact that the last USGI forged receiver Garand was made in '57, that there's a very large Garand collecting community to fuel your disease, and the sheer cool factor that Garands have... it can get bad.

Garanditus is just one part of the much larger C&R/Milsurp addiction which can get REALLY expensive I've heard. I'm just in the beginning stages, currently looking at getting my C&R 03 FFL. I've heard that's when it gets REALLY bad.
Old 03-31-2013, 8:04 AM

Definitely go with a CMP rifle. But go soon, they won't last forever. I have never seen a CMP rifle that was worth less on the open market than the price you will pay. I'd say they are least worth $300.00 more than the cost at CMP. Plus, you might get lucky, I ordered a SA service grade, and they sent me something of a collectors item. I rec'd an IHC that was worth approximately three times what I paid for it. Got me into collecting them all. I have two now, and more on the way. I too, have the goal of obtaining an almost new correct grade rifle, but I expect to pay dearly on the open market for it. If you have the budget for it, why not? Get a service grade now, then learn to disassemble it and put it together, and have a real world example in your hands as a baseline from which to learn. Go for it. You will not regret this hobby. Thanks to president Obama, my full collection of military surplus rifles is now worth three times what I paid for them too.

OH, forgot to mention, being eligible for CMP purchase lets you buy excellent quality accessories (bayonets) and non-corrosive ammo on the cheap too! .50 a round at the moment.

Last edited by Badmusic; 03-31-2013 at 8:16 AM..
Old 03-31-2013, 8:07 AM

If you're going to buy a private party rifle without CMP doccumentation, be sure the rifle doesn't have a welded receiver. There are a bunch of them out there.
Old 03-31-2013, 8:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Expensive?! WTF! Good luck finding a quality Garand for cheaper than the CMP sells them for.

I got a special grade with a brand new barrel and walnut stock for $800.00. Beautiful rifle that functions and shoots awesome. You can get rack and service grade rifles for much cheaper than that even.

"Don't forget that you're First Marines! Not all the Communists in hell can overrun you!"
-Chesty Puller-

-Dimitri, I'm sorry they're jamming your radar and flying so low, but they're trained to do it. You know, it's, it's initiative!-
Old 03-31-2013, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpf68 View Post
If you're going to buy a private party rifle without CMP doccumentation, be sure the rifle doesn't have a welded receiver. There are a bunch of them out there.

^ This.
Old 03-31-2013, 8:17 AM

Hey thanks for that! I will research what that means now and how to detect it...
Update: images I found of rewelds

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpf68 View Post

Last edited by GayGuns; 03-31-2013 at 9:08 AM..
Old 03-31-2013, 9:14 AM
Calguns Addict

I looked at the pictures, I can't tell if the stock is USGI or aftermarket. Check the stock for cartouches stamped into the wood. A GI stock should have, at the very least, a P stamped into it somewhere in the pistol grip area. GI stocks are more desirable. It has a milled trigger guard which is correct for a WWII rifle, it has a post war rear sight. You need to check the barrel for manufacturer and date.
The rust on the receiver above the oprod channel and the surface rust on the bolt is troubling.
I don't know a whole lot, but knowing what I know, already being signed up for the CMP, and seeing what has been coming out of the CMP, I wouldn't give more than $500 for that rifle.
If it has a barrel with the correct year for the receiver I may give a little more. Was it ever a CMP gun? You need to look at all of the stamps/marks on the gun and look them up. Look for an import mark, that would drop the value as well.
Old 03-31-2013, 9:22 AM
Calguns Addict

I might pay a little more with the intention of parting it out for money to buy another Garand. Also check if it has an oprod that doesn't have the radius cut in it, those are worth more money. If it has all Springfield armory parts of correct manufacture timeframe for the receiver it would be worth more too.

WRA marked parts are worth more on the open market too.
Old 03-31-2013, 9:56 AM

Thank you Sir! CMP is the way to go. I am going to start the process today.

Quote:
I looked at the pictures, I can't tell if the stock is USGI or aftermarket. Check the stock for cartouches stamped into the wood. A GI stock should have, at the very least, a P stamped into it somewhere in the pistol grip area. GI stocks are more desirable. It has a milled trigger guard which is correct for a WWII rifle, it has a post war rear sight. You need to check the barrel for manufacturer and date.
The rust on the receiver above the oprod channel and the surface rust on the bolt is troubling.
I don't know a whole lot, but knowing what I know, already being signed up for the CMP, and seeing what has been coming out of the CMP, I wouldn't give more than $500 for that rifle.
If it has a barrel with the correct year for the receiver I may give a little more. Was it ever a CMP gun? You need to look at all of the stamps/marks on the gun and look them up. Look for an import mark, that would drop the value as well.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Thank you Sir! CMP is the way to go. I am going to start the process today.
Excellent. You won't regret it.

These rifles are typical of what you can expect from the Service Grade HRAs coming out of the CMP right now.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=715057

And this is a typical HRA Service Grade Special.
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=103743

\_(ツ)_/