Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 03-30-2013, 2:44 PM

Default Anyone choose to not buy handguns to avoid registration?

I know the law will change come 2013 for long guns too but I'm just curious if anyone here has avoided buying handguns thus far specifically because you would have to register it and be on file with the government.

With recent calls for more funding into gun confiscation for the prohibited(mental and domestic issues) it makes me wary of buying a handgun. (I'm new to guns btw) It just doesn't sit right with me for them to take my guns simply for something as simple as domestic violence. I know too many guys with crazy girlfriends who lie and have pressed charges against them when in fact they the women were the abusers. I also think many PDs have a policy of always arresting someone when they receive a domestic violence call.

Last edited by GodChild; 03-30-2013 at 2:48 PM..
Old 03-30-2013, 2:50 PM

Old 03-30-2013, 2:53 PM

How simple of a domestic violence are we talking?
iF it'S nOt an aCt of goD, iT's a ConSpirAcy. If it can be measured, it can be optimized.
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." Chris Hitchens
Old 03-30-2013, 2:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

There is NO Federal handgun registration and NO documentation is on file at any Federal entity. As far as California goes, are you aware that a Dealer Record Of Sale program, in one form of another, has been in effect in CA since 1924? If everyone thought like you, there wouldn't be many handguns left in CA and the antis would be winning. Of course, there are other ways to to legally own a handgun in CA without having to buy or register it.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.
Old 03-30-2013, 2:55 PM

Thank you for the correction.

I was looking at the prohibited list and it even has misdemeanors listed. Thats absolutely ridiculous that you could get into a mutual combat situation or even a self defense situation and end up legally on the short end of the stick and have your 2nd amendment rights taken away. Thats scary.
Old 03-30-2013, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
There is NO Federal handgun registration and NO documentation is on file at any Federal entity. As far as California goes, are you aware that a Dealer Record Of Sale program, in one form of another, has been in effect in CA since 1924? If everyone thought like you, there wouldn't be many handguns left in CA and the antis would be winning. Of course, there are other ways to to legally own a handgun in CA without having to buy or register it.
Well, their gun confiscation program just got a major boost in funding.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/po...,1291214.story
Old 03-30-2013, 3:37 PM

I won't buy a new handgun only for the fear of handguns (or guns in general) being outlawed/confiscated in the future. I see Ca. going down this path. I have 5 handguns, none registered, all bought from good friends or family. That way I know the history and there is nothing done illegally with them. Not registered, no tracking for possible confiscation if the law(s) change. Besides...I will be moving out of this state in the next couple of years, I'm sick of the politics. I retired last year after 38 years in the Air Force and my wife is 18 months away from hers.
Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

If a Republican doesn't like guns, he doesn’t buy one.
If a Democrat doesn't like guns, he wants all guns outlawed.
Old 03-30-2013, 3:43 PM
Calguns Addict

OP, its the year 2013. If the government wants to know if you own handguns, they won't check the gun store. They'll demand your local bank fax over a copy of your account statement, and pop goes the weasel.

Unless you buy all of your ammo, reloading components, magazines, and holsters with cash-from day 1- you're done.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 03-30-2013, 3:48 PM

As of now I don't own any registered handguns and I'll be endeavoring to keep it that way. I also don't plan on buying any long guns in CA after Jan 1st 2014. For me it's more out of principal than paranoia, but it's nice not being on Big Brother's list.
Old 03-30-2013, 3:54 PM

Have bought, and will continue to buy. I'm not going to let the government scare me away from buying guns. I'm leaving CA and heading back to the midwest later this summer anyways, so I'm even less concerned about the state knowing what I have. Come and get them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezcalfud View Post
Because a Glock looks great in the case and then when you take it home it feels like you're holding a Costco pack of Kielbasa.
Old 03-30-2013, 3:59 PM
Veteran Member

I have not bought handguns because CA government says I am not responsible enough to buy them yet. 55 days from now though, I will magically become responsible enough to buy handguns.... and I will buy handguns
Though the cause of evil prosper, yet the truth alone is strong; Though her portion be the scaffold, and upon the throne be wrong; Yet that scaffold sways the future, and behind the dim unknown, Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above His own.

Whatever doesn't kill me... better start running.
Old 03-30-2013, 4:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Right Hand View Post
As of now I don't own any registered handguns and I'll be endeavoring to keep it that way. I also don't plan on buying any long guns in CA after Jan 1st 2014. For me it's more out of principal than paranoia, but it's nice not being on Big Brother's list.
My posting or even brousing on a gun form, "they" can and will be able to tell who you are. When it's time, "hey" will be knocking on your door and searching your home. Don't worry about registration of firearms. You're already a "registered potential domestic terrorist"!

Old 03-30-2013, 4:15 PM

Quote:
My posting or even brousing on a gun form, "they" can and will be able to tell who you are. When it's time, "hey" will be knocking on your door and searching your home. Don't worry about registration of firearms.You're already a "registered potential domestic terrorist"!
I'll just have to disagree with you.
Old 03-30-2013, 4:37 PM
Calguns Addict

why do we have so many ?
for some of us, we've been buying guns since the 1980's and we aren't going to stop because of the registration process. My guns aren't going to be confiscated because I'm not a convicted felon or a nut case. Why don't the OP post on a car forum asking if people are going to stop buying cars because they have to register them, cite an article about how your car can be impounded if you have too many unpaid tickets, then claim registering your car will lead to confiscation?
Old 03-30-2013, 4:40 PM

Quote:
My posting or even brousing on a gun form, "they" can and will be able to tell who you are. When it's time, "hey" will be knocking on your door and searching your home. Don't worry about registration of firearms. You're already a "registered potential domestic terrorist"!

True, with enough effort "They" probably could track most people posting on this forum if they wanted.

As for worrying about registration of firearms... I think the idea here is trying to make it more difficult for Big Brother to track you, rather than believing one is totally untraceable if you have no registered guns. I don't really subscribe to the ".Gov already knows who we are, so why bother trying to hide" mindset.
Old 03-30-2013, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwtt View Post
why do we have so many ?
for some of us, we've been buying guns since the 1980's and we aren't going to stop because of the registration process. My guns aren't going to be confiscated because I'm not a convicted felon or a nut case. Why don't the OP post on a car forum asking if people are going to stop buying cars because they have to register them, cite an article about how your car can be impounded if you have too many unpaid tickets, then claim registering your car will lead to confiscation?
Nothing tin-foil about it. Are you really unaware of any examples of gun registration leading to confiscation? New York in the 90s, California with the whole SKS thing, Canada with the Armi Jager AP-80, New Zealand, Australia.... Nazi Germany/Austria...

Need I go on?
Old 03-30-2013, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwtt View Post
why do we have so many ?
Very poor analogy with cars. I don't know many "car grabbers" other than criminals. Also, $24 million hasn't just been assigned to fund the confiscation of cars by the state.

And also, the right to keep and bear arms is a constitutional backed right whereas the ability to drive is considered a privilege. Apples and oranges.

Last edited by GodChild; 03-30-2013 at 5:09 PM..
Old 03-30-2013, 5:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I guess that I should have worded my thoughts differently. I NEVER ment that one should not worry about registration and just accept it. I ment that registration should not be something one worrys about to the point of not wanting to buy a firearm. I legally own both registered and unregistered handguns. I would never not add another gun to my collection (and let the antis win) based solely on a requirement to register it at the time of transfer. Then again, I have the means and knowledge to legally aquire a brand new handgun in CA tomorrow if I wanted or had to.

Also, I have been far more proactive about getting legal, unpapered, unserialized, firearms into the hands of Californians who can legally own firearms than most people here. I have had well over 700 AKs, MACs, Belt fed 1919s, etc. made at my home. So, I am not advocating mandatory (or even voluntary) registration in any way. I've choosen to put myself out in the open and have already been targeted by "them" for assisting people in the quest to manufacture their own firearms. My name has been fequently published in shooting magazines with international readership too. So, I know for a fact that "they" already do know who I am and I'm not going to hide from or worry about "them". Instead, I'll keep "them" worrying about me every time they see that I've had another handgun transfered to me.

Old 03-30-2013, 5:10 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Make your own
Old 03-30-2013, 5:12 PM

^^^ (2 up) now that's some anti- SH!+ right there!

Quote:
Because a Glock looks great in the case and then when you take it home it feels like you're holding a Costco pack of Kielbasa.
Old 03-30-2013, 5:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodChild View Post
Very poor analogy with cars. I don't know many "car grabbers" other than criminals. Also, $24 million hasn't just been assigned to fund the confiscation of cars by the state.

And also, the right to keep and bear arms is a constitutional backed right whereas the ability to drive is considered a privilege. Apples and oranges.
Registration of vehicles does allow their use. Without registration, a vehicle can not be on a public roadway. While "they" may not be confinscating registered vehicles on a large scale, "they" are confinscating some and worse, "they" are making it more difficult and more expensive to register them every year. "They" have also made it illegal to do certain modifications to them even if they still pass smog and safety requirements. CARB gets more than $24 million a year to fund their anti-car campaign.

Old 03-30-2013, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Registration of vehicles does allow their use. Without registration, a vehicle can not be on a public roadway. While "they" may not be confinscating registered vehicles on a large scale, "they" are confinscating some and worse, "they" are making it more difficult and more expensive to register them every year. "They" have also made it illegal to do certain modifications to them even if they still pass smog and safety requirements. CARB gets more than $24 million a year to fund their anti-car campaign.
All true but still a poor analogy. Legislation dealing with automobiles has more to do with revenue, environmental concerns and safety, and revenue, rather than just a widespread inherent hatred for cars in California politics.

Apples vs oranges.
Old 03-30-2013, 5:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTauron View Post
OP, its the year 2013. If the government wants to know if you own handguns, they won't check the gun store. They'll demand your local bank fax over a copy of your account statement, and pop goes the weasel.

Unless you buy all of your ammo, reloading components, magazines, and holsters with cash-from day 1- you're done.
This^^^^^ In Spades. If the Gub-mint decides to spend 10 minutes on a Bank Computer, you're already cooked.

Add in that I have and have had carry permits since I was 22 in three different States; FBI has my prints, probably my photo as well. (at least States do). And the IRS, Homeland Security everytime you fly, even GOOGLE knows what Gun websites you're browsing and they make sure that Red Dot shows up on the next web you surf. Owning guns used to be a private issue; not anymore. Every handgun I buy and every handgun I sell, someone wrote it down on hard paper and here in Kalifornistan, on a computer data base that can be seen by a cop in a Patrol Car.

It just boils down to who has the balls to come and get them...

hehehe

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 03-30-2013, 5:46 PM

As far as I know - under the state program - they are confiscating guns based on gun registration rather than just solely what you post on the internet. (barring of course any blatantly obvious illegal arms activity admitted here or on the net)

So this idea entertained here that semi-anonymously volunteering unverified personal information(fact, fiction or fantasy?) on a private forum somehow makes gun registration with the state even just a little bit less of a concern needs to be done away with.
Old 03-30-2013, 5:49 PM

There are no secrets now days. All of mine are registered and if they want to come take them I'll deal with it then. Why would you not buy something that you want on the slim chance that they will come and take it away? Hell, if we are going to go the paranoid route what's to stop them from going door to door and searching everybody? Oh, and don't forget that by you posting this you probably put yourself on a watch list. Better destroy your hard drive and move out of the country.
Bersa Thunder, Browning Buckmark Camper, Charles Daly 1911, Charter Arms Buldog Pug, Chinese SKS, Colt Double Eagle MK II Series 90 10mm, Egyptian Hakim 8mm, Heckler & Koch P2000SK, Kimber Eclipse Ultra II, Mossberg 500A Cruiser, Mossberg New Haven 600AT, Romanian M69 Trainer, Rossi Ranch Hand .44 Mag, Savage Arms Model 73, Smith & Wesson 1006 10mm, Smith & Wesson Sigma .40, Springfield Armory XD-40, Walther P1, Wyoming Arms Parker 10mm, Yugoslavian K98
Old 03-30-2013, 5:51 PM

I think some of you are being gullible in thinking these fears are irrational and unfounded.

This is a fact: The state recently approved 24 Million to fund their confiscation program.

Last edited by GodChild; 03-30-2013 at 5:55 PM..
Old 03-30-2013, 5:56 PM

I totally agree that registration requirement shouldn't be the sole thing stopping someone from buying arms. At the same time, I'm sure we can all see why someone would want the security of having some or all of their guns "off the books".

If given three choices:
A.) Owning all unregistered handguns.
B.) Owning some registered handguns and some unregistered handguns.
C.) Owning only registered handguns.

I tend to think most people here would choose scenarios A and B over C any day of the week.
Old 03-30-2013, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodChild View Post
I think some of you are being gullible in thinking these fears are irrational and unfounded.

This is a fact: The state recently approved 24 Million to fund their confiscation program.
"They're" confiscating guns from people who purchased them legally and have since put themselves on the prohibited list by being convicted of a felony, domestic abuse, spending time in a mental institution, etc. if you fall into this category, then by all means, go to Costco and start stocking up on the highest quality foil you can get your hands on! Otherwise, just go buy a handgun...you know you want one!

Quote:
Old 03-30-2013, 6:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I just realized that even the IRS will be made aware of any future firearms purchases I make if I intend to use them as instructional aids and tax write offs. So, besides registration, there are other government entities that will know I own some of my firearms.

Old 03-30-2013, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 0range View Post
"They're" confiscating guns from people who purchased them legally and have since put themselves on the prohibited list by being convicted of a felony, domestic abuse, spending time in a mental institution, etc. if you fall into this category, then by all means, go to Costco and start stocking up on the highest quality foil you can get your hands on! Otherwise, just go buy a handgun...you know you want one!
Nope, I don't fall into any of those categories. But the future is untold with endless possibilities. I also can't completely control the future of family members whose actions could effect my rights under California legislation.

Last edited by GodChild; 03-30-2013 at 6:14 PM..
Old 03-30-2013, 6:11 PM

I buy and I'll continue to register. Who cares? If it ever comes to the point where they're using the info to mass confiscate without cause, "they" won't have to come looking for me. I'll be looking for "them". Stop whining
Old 03-30-2013, 6:12 PM

BTW, keep the paranoid posts coming. I use these to explain to my wife why I NEED to buy another gun. She thinks I'm paranoid, but I'm ok with that as long as my safe keeps getting filled!

Quote:
Old 03-30-2013, 6:17 PM

What I don't understand is how people here could joke of tin foil when we know for a fact that non-violent law abiding citizens have had their guns confiscated under this legislation.

It's really annoying but speaks volumes of the intellect and maturity of certain members. I guess this is why California is the way it is with regards to the 2nd amendment when even the supposed pro-gunners have these views.

Last edited by GodChild; 03-30-2013 at 6:20 PM..
Old 03-30-2013, 6:19 PM

It would take one guy with a laptop and mediocre hacking skills about 15 minutes to everything you'd ever want to know about yourself including the types of guns you own. The concern over a simple registration of a firearm is amusing
Old 03-30-2013, 6:21 PM

Godchild: name just ONE person who had weapons confiscated without cause. Just one....
Old 03-30-2013, 6:24 PM

I see a lot of people pointing out that there are many ways .gov would be able to know you own guns. DROS, bank statements, etc... But that's no reason to just not give a crap about registration. Big government agencies usually go after low hanging fruit. In the event of a confiscation, law enforcement would likely first look in the registration database, not bank statements or DROSes! That's not to say they couldn't eventually get around to going to FFLs and sniffing through all the DROS paperwork or rifle through your bank records, but it certainly wouldn't be the first place they'd check.

I really have a hard time believing all of these "resistance is futile" sentiments. If privacy truly is a lost cause and the all-seeing-eye is watching our every move, how come these proposed Universal Background Checks are so vehemently opposed by most of the gun community?
Old 03-30-2013, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz265 View Post
Godchild: name just ONE person who had weapons confiscated without cause. Just one....
Cause? Well under the state they have cause. This was just posted recently.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/califo...155325406.html

Something as simple as misdemeanor battery will disallow you from owning guns.

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/...ls-2596087.php

Last edited by GodChild; 03-30-2013 at 6:28 PM..
Old 03-30-2013, 6:27 PM

Your becoming a convicted felon or diagnosed a nutjob is good cause. Sorry pal.
Old 03-30-2013, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz265 View Post
Your becoming a convicted felon or diagnosed a nutjob is good cause. Sorry pal.
The husband's guns were also confiscated because of his wife's mental issues.

I also added another link where a man's guns were confiscated for misdemeanor battery.
Old 03-30-2013, 6:34 PM

Not permanently confiscated. Read the law