Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 03-30-2013, 1:48 AM

Default POE (power over ethernet) devices

I have several POE surveillance cameras, POE switch, and power injectors (802.3af and 802.3at). I have one more network cable run that i would like to put a POE device on that isnt a camera. POE IR illuminators are $600, forget that noise. This cable run goes outdoors. Any suggestions appreciated!
Old 03-30-2013, 2:29 AM

Not enough information. What are you truing to accomplish, or is this just a price thing.

Romans 1:16 - 32

Old 03-30-2013, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonderplatz View Post
Not enough information. What are you truing to accomplish, or is this just a price thing.
Trying to find a use for the other cable run that isnt a poe surveillanr camera. IR illuminator that is poe capable would be ideal, wondering if there is another poe device i am not aware of.
Old 03-30-2013, 3:00 AM

I've only used PoE for Door locks, Lighting (IR), Wireless Access Points (WAP's), Phones (VoIP) and cameras.

Romans 1:16 - 32

Last edited by vonderplatz; 03-30-2013 at 3:07 AM..
Old 03-30-2013, 10:05 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonith3901 View Post
I have several POE surveillance cameras, POE switch, and power injectors (802.3af and 802.3at). I have one more network cable run that i would like to put a POE device on that isnt a camera. POE IR illuminators are $600, forget that noise. This cable run goes outdoors. Any suggestions appreciated!
you don't have to use that cable for POE. If you wanted an IR illuminator out there, just use that cable with a regular IR illuminator and just run power through it without hooking it up to your switch.

We have repurposed ethernet drops for analog paging speakers. one pair for voice and one pair for power.

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 03-31-2013, 9:40 AM

Default regular IR illuminator it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
you don't have to use that cable for POE. If you wanted an IR illuminator out there, just use that cable with a regular IR illuminator and just run power through it without hooking it up to your switch.

We have repurposed ethernet drops for analog paging speakers. one pair for voice and one pair for power.
ke6guj, I am going with that route. Thanks so much for the advice. Do you happen to have a link to rewire or which pairs to use to get a regular IR illuminator up and running? Would I still use a POE injector?
Old 03-31-2013, 11:38 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonith3901 View Post
ke6guj, I am going with that route. Thanks so much for the advice. Do you happen to have a link to rewire or which pairs to use to get a regular IR illuminator up and running? Would I still use a POE injector?
you just look at the cat-5 cable as being 4 pairs of 24awg wires that you can use. you don't use a POE injector (it won't work because a POE injector needs to see a valid POE device in order for it to fully power up.) Just wire up a power supply to one pair of wires and one end of the cable and at the other end wire up that same pair to the illuminator.

If the ends of the cable have already been wired to a punch panel, you could always make a jumper cable with an RJ-45 plug on one end and then wire the other end to your power supply, and another cable for your IR iluminator. I would recommend that you mark the outlet on the punch panel that it is not a standard ethernet outlet, but is instead a power outlet. The outlets that we have analog paging horns plugged into are marked as such.

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 03-31-2013, 3:51 PM

My cable box just failed...

They replaced it with a unit that has a wireless router built in!
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 03-31-2013, 4:34 PM

why do you need injectors if you have a POE switch?