Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 03-29-2013, 7:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Guns and Patriarchy.

Once again, I confront a cultural minefield associated with firearms.

This time, its gun control and women. I've always wondered why it is that women, who are physically at a disadvantage compared to most male criminals, as a rule usually support restrictions on firearm useage. I had an enlightening discussion with a lady friend of mine, and the results of it triggered the genesis of this thread.

Do firearms represent a symbol of male patriarchy for women? It would go a long way to explaining why we have the PR problems we do if most women think "1950s Gender Discrimination" when they see an AR15 on the news.

Thoughts?

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:06 PM

I have no idea. Women on the frontier knew how to shoot! What happened?

On the other hand, I do have to say that I have had many women speak admiration and praise over me for learning how to shoot and for acquiring my own gun. Men seem to like it because we are speaking a common language - firearms. I have had a few naysayers who believe that it is an invitation to an accident or that I have a statistically poor chance of using it successfully for self-defense. And that came from BOTH sexes.
Old 03-29-2013, 2:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

A lot of it is the culture and stereotypes and taught when kids are young.

Most firearms owning parents I know push their sons into using guns and hunting more than their daughters. This is not the rule but it's something I've observed A LOT. Especially back in the south east. In our culture it's seen as a man's field. This is changing slowly, but a bit too slow for my liking.

It starts young. Look at the toys in the kids isle at the toy store. It will also tell you a good bit.

Girls are 'taught' to be quiet and dainty from a young age. Boys are taught to be aggressive. Again general rules here.

I will use myself as an example. I was a daddy's girl and not pushed into pink lace and barbie. Therefore I'm a bit louder and more aggressive than most women I know and refuse to fall into gender stereotypes. Which I think has inadvertently helped me a lot in my male-dominated profession (engineer in the video game industry) and hobbies.
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 03-29-2013, 2:43 PM

I think many women have a 'no guns' bias because they are more concious of keeping guns out of their kids hands, than they are concious of needing to protect that very kid. For my money, in the suburbs, women feel way too safe, in the Walmart parking lot, at home during the day, going to the movies at night. Maybe they believe that some man will jump in to save them. Talk about 1950's thinking.

I find that when I talk with a young mother who's going "Oh, no, I could never", I ask her "What if some big ugly guy comes in your back door and grabs your 10 year old daughter?". They go "Momma Bear" really fast and say they'd rip the guy's throat out. And that's my in to make them think through the 'no guns' position. It's a weird thing, but they will do things to protect their kids that they wouldn't do for themselves.

I agree that many women think that guns are 'a guy thing', but that's solved slowly with proper PR. Like many things, it's a process of education and persistence. The Women on Target classes that we are doing in SoCal and will do in NorCal soon, will go a long way toward this.

And ye gods, look what the patriarchies in India and Afghanistan are doing with their women ! You'd think every woman there would be in the streets, yelling for justice. But the patriarchy works so well there, that they're afraid to speak out. But not us, not here.

Calguns has a new poster, which features a dad, showing his little daughter how to shoot a rifle. I just love it!

Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 03-29-2013 at 2:49 PM..