Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 03-29-2013, 2:35 AM
Veteran Member

Default Day of Defiance, Sun Jun 30th, San Francisco.

For those of you who are new here, Sunday June 30th is the annual SF Gay Pride Parade, it is one of the biggest parades in the country.

To show our "love", the Pink Pistols and their supporters(you guys) will once again be putting a "Pro Gun, Pro Self Defense" contingent to march down in the middle of San Francisco.

Fees are sent in and I sent them certified mail, wanted to make sure that the post office won't lose the letter.

Calguns membership has significantly increased since last year, we would love to see some new faces.

Over the last four years, participation in the parade has been 12 to 28 marchers and belief it or not, our message has been well recieved in spite of it being San Francisco.

Yes we have had a frew hecklers, but considering that 200,000 plus people line the parade routes, we are doing pretty good.

Tom Boyer of SF Pink Pistols is our go to person in San Francisco. If any of you reside in San Francisco, we really could use your help.

The one thing we really can need are "safety monitors". It is a one hour class, but for our contingent, we need 4 monitors per vehicle and this year I hope to have 2 vehicles in the parade.

Because of potential vehicles, I need at least 10 monitors, I would really like to have 12. Monitor training takes 1 hour, but training is in San Fran.

For the time/money we invest in putting a Pink Pistol contingent in the SF pride parade, we get a outstanding rate of return promoting our pro gun message because we are reaching people outside our choir.

We are linking gun rights to civil rights.

I realize some of you "Won't march with us", I can respect your personal objections marching with a "Gay Gun Group".

For those of you who don't want to march with us, find something else to put your energies into to promote gun rights and share with us what you are doing so that way we can help the effort.

Tom and I have a small bet, Tom believes that our group will be around the same size as last year.

Tom is a "realist", I am an "optimist". I paid extra fees and I told Tom that if he is right, then I will basically eat the extra fees.

How much of an impact we have will depend on how much effort you guys on this forum will put into this effort.

Gene Hoffmang has joined us at ever march so far because he believes this is significant and he is a very busy man.

Thie march is a lot of fun, the weather has always been great and we hang out after the march and drink beer.

Nicki
Old 03-29-2013, 4:42 AM

I wish I could help but I'll be out of town that weekend. Good luck, though.
Old 03-29-2013, 6:58 AM

Good on you and the group...No matter what everybody agrees or disagrees with the bottom line is that the 2nd is such a fundemental individual right, that without it, all the others will become worthless..and the honest reality is a group like this has a better ability to relay our message than me with my Southern drawl and boots...it's just reality of the PC world we live in so I find it encouraging to see this...I wish your group the best..
Old 03-29-2013, 7:06 AM

I honestly have no idea what you are looking for help with, can you please elaborate on who/what you are looking for and what the duty is? Mostly, what is a safety monitor?
Old 03-29-2013, 7:56 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I will turn out. Is there a Facebook page for the group I'd like to share it. It will have some traction with my colleagues and acquaintances
Old 03-29-2013, 12:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If this is what it takes to get the pro 2A message across.......do it.

"My pimpin' is on the loose! All the freak has to do is latch on like the caboose." Mr. Whitefolks

Buy 'em cheap, stack 'em deep!!

"That brotha wanted the honey, all we wants is da money!!!" Pretty Tony.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:20 PM
Banned

Wow-taking on the gays in SF on Gay Pride Day-that's ballsey
sunaj
Old 03-29-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunaj View Post
Wow-taking on the gays in SF on Gay Pride Day-that's ballsey
sunaj
I wouldn't say taking on. More like banding together as an oppressed minority.
Old 03-29-2013, 1:28 PM

Default Parade

I love a parade. I'm in. And I'll see if I can get my gay daughter to come along.

Now I need to think about my sign.
Old 03-29-2013, 1:29 PM
Banned

Ok,
If you say so, but if you lose,
pucker up

sunaj
Old 03-29-2013, 1:47 PM
Veteran Member

Default Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunaj View Post
Ok,
If you say so, but if you lose,
pucker up

sunaj
The only way I would lose would be not to step up. I look at the extra fees like a person looks at a stock option. You do it knowing that some options won't be exercised.

Of course not having the option means that if an opportunity comes along, your ability to profit is diminished.

Overall gun rally, gun show, gun sales and the other things are at record highs. For me not to take the option would be foolish because what if instead of 20 of us showing up, 100 did.

We would have to turn people away so I'm making sure that won't happen.

Nicki
Old 03-29-2013, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
I honestly have no idea what you are looking for help with, can you please elaborate on who/what you are looking for and what the duty is? Mostly, what is a safety monitor?
+1 this

And what hour long class do you mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyr_223 View Post
dude, its a pump-action..You can put a live weasel or hollowed d**do on the barrel and it would be legal...
Old 03-29-2013, 4:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjeff View Post
I wouldn't say taking on. More like banding together as an oppressed minority.
Exactly!
Old 03-29-2013, 5:26 PM
Veteran Member

Default Some clarifications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WootSauce View Post
+1 this

And what hour long class do you mean
Some history, back in the early 80's, there was a tragic accident where someone feel down and had a semi run over his head. Needless to say, that person had a real bad day and that event almost shut down the pride parades.

To keep the parades, the SF Pride created a "safety monitor program" where all the contingents have people take a 1 hour course so that they can make sure their contingent moves, no one hands stuff to the crowd, keeps people from jumping on and off vehicles and does crowd control of their contingents should emergency vehicles need to pass.

Basically, a safety monitor is a designated traffic monitor within our contingent.

For our marching unit, we are required to have 2 safety monitors for every 25 people and 2 safety monitor per axle of any vehicles we may have.

We are going for 2 vehicles this year, so we need 8 safety monitors for the vehciles plus another 2 to 4 for our contingents.

I am an optimist, so I am hoping we get 40 plus people at this event, but we still will be impressive if we can get 20 plus people to show.

The safety monitor is someone who attends a 1 hour class that the SF Pride Parade folks run, they have many training dates set aside, it is just important we get enough people to attend so that we have enough safety monitors for our contingent.

The training is very basic, probably a 3rd grader would get it.

The sad reality is many people who attend parades are "stupid", so rules are created so that "stupid people" limit the damage they do to themselves or others.

This safety classes will probably start up in May and run through June.

For now, all you guys need to do is commit to be there, we will come up with things as we get closer, trust us.

We are not going to make any "Grand Plans", we like to keep things "simple" and we do practice the KISS principle.

This is really more social, lets hang out, put a positive face on gun owners for the people of San Francisco, in other words, break negative stereotypes of US and have alot of fun while we are at it.

Nicki
Old 04-06-2013, 11:46 AM
CGN Contributor

I'll do it - sounds like fun. I went to the Pride Parade website but I can't find info about training dates/times. It says to fill out an application in February, but it doesn't seem to have been updated since then.
Old 04-06-2013, 4:53 PM

Ok, now this is what I'm talking about regarding embracing the entirety of the upper half of the Nolan chart on this one issue. Don't let anyone split us into left and right on firearms rights. Together, we are the upper-half of the 2-dimensional chart. We are the supporters of civil rights. For this issue of firearms rights, we stand together.

Nolan Chart:
Old 04-06-2013, 5:19 PM

Does this "Day of Defiance" imply defiant behavior?
Old 04-06-2013, 9:23 PM
Veteran Member

Default Let's define "Defiance"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilro View Post
Does this "Day of Defiance" imply defiant behavior?
Standing up for 'YOUR CIVIL RIGHTS" against those who would take them away is being "Defiant".

Now of course, there is being "Defiant" and being "disrespectful".

We are going to be "Defiant", we will not be "disrespectful", in fact, the truth is we will be appealing to the crowd to reexamine their anti-gun attitudes by putting on a different face for "gun owners".

Exercising one's civil rights is considered an act of defiance and the whole "Pride Parade" itself is in itself. a public display of "Defiance" against those who would want the LBGT community to stay in the closet.

The truth is we would have "NO CIVIL RIGHTS" if people 200 plus years ago didn't take up arms against their King.

How big this event will be will depend on how many people want to step up.

Tom thinks that we will get 12 to 20 people and told me that I probably will eat the extra fees I paid so that we could have up to 100 folks in our group.

It isn't complicated, you are either in or you aren't.
If you are in, let me know how much effort you will put into this.

Ideally if people were willing to invest some time and money, I would like to make some very large signs.

If I could get a large pickup, we could fabricate signs using 12 4X8 plywood boards, pvc piping, paint that would create a 12 foot by 16 moving board on each side of the vehicle.

That could show our real plan to reduce gun violence, black background with Pink lettering.

We could make signs for people to carry, make them 4 feet by 6 feet in size to that they are easy to read.

I figure 4 to 6 simple messages, at least one on each side of the contingent.

A PA system so that we could make a lot of noise. 2 vehicles and even 25 people would allow us to have a contingent that is 30 to 40 yards long, not exactly short.

We would be one of the "Bigger" contingents.

Now, if people would be willing to wear "Uniform Colors", that would be even better. I figure Black T Shirts and perhaps "Pink" scrub bottoms with a holster.

Holsters could be empty or have banana's or other objects in them.

Nicki
Old 04-06-2013, 9:39 PM

I just want to make sure you guys are actually exercising your rights and not just talking about it. If nothing comes up, I will be there.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:49 PM

is this what it takes to save 2A in Cali?
I'm in. plz let me know what to do.

I have a feeling it's better way to be heard than writing letters to Leland Yee
and his comrades.
Old 04-07-2013, 1:22 AM
Veteran Member

Default This is fun, really.

All of us who have marched in past parades have had a great time and many will be back.

When we first started doing these parades, in all honesty we expected to be "booed and jeered" along the whole parade route and we were ready for confrontations because that is who we are.

Instead of being jeered, we were cheered.

Hate crimes is a big problem with the LBGT community and even though many are anti gun, many people who attend the parade have been victims of violence and our message can reach them.

We link their rights with our rights.

Right to marry
Right to carry

Respect for our Human rights and equality under the law for everyone is a message that you are going to find few people opposing.

Tom Boyer, Myself and anyone else in the SF Bay who are willing to step up to pre plan for this event are welcome.

Personally I would love to meet everyone before the big day so that way we can make it even bigger. We are going to have the opportunity to be seen promoting gun rights in front of over 200,000 people in San Francisco.

I will be at the SCRPA's monthly outreach shoot next Saturday which runs from 2p to usually 8pm at 1580 south 10th. street.

We intro new people to shooting, we use 22 cal. firearms from 2 to 4pm, then after that, the range opens up for larger calibers.

This is a good event for any of you who have people that you would like to just introduce to shooting.

The club waives range fees for that day.

If you are in San Jose next Saturday, come on down. I tend to help new shooters, so I will probably be on the line from 2 to 4 pm,

After 4pm, I am going to step off the line and fire up some coals(weather permitting) and cook up some food for those who are attending.

If you show up, we can chat and brainstorm because in all honesty, if we pre plan, we may already have resources to really make a big impact.

Nicki
Old 04-07-2013, 1:29 AM

Love it. What time is the parade? I typically work nights, in San Jose, so the commute back could be a deal breaker, but if we would be done by noon or 1pm, that could work for us.
Old 04-07-2013, 4:13 AM

I might be interested, what is the location/time/date of the monitor training? I'm enthused about the idea, but I'm not sure if it will fit my schedule.
Old 04-07-2013, 5:53 AM

As much as I support the right to keep and bear arms, I support your right to love anyone you want to.

I got in a heated argument with a friend of mine who was saying she basically had no problem with me being denied my 2nd amendment rights, so long as she was being denied the right to marry whomever she wished. It made me really sad to hear that, considering I would defend her rights as adamantly as I would my own. Unfortunately, this kind of thinking is very prevalent amongst those that call themselves champions of civil liberties.
Old 04-07-2013, 7:45 AM
Veteran Member

Default Responses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBLee View Post
As much as I support the right to keep and bear arms, I support your right to love anyone you want to.

I got in a heated argument with a friend of mine who was saying she basically had no problem with me being denied my 2nd amendment rights, so long as she was being denied the right to marry whomever she wished. It made me really sad to hear that, considering I would defend her rights as adamantly as I would my own. Unfortunately, this kind of thinking is very prevalent amongst those that call themselves champions of civil liberties.
This is exactly why you should march and you should invite your friend to join us because we support her right. In fact, many people on this forum actually are open minded and if you intro her in person to many of us, we break stereotypes.

We chant

Marry Rights
Carry Rights
Equal Rights.

Our view of the Bill of Rights is that all rights are interdependent, they are all part of a well crafted chain and if one right goes, the whole chain unravels.

Being selective and supporting only the rights you like while trashing rights you don't like is a sure way to make sure that you and everyone else will have NO rights.

Now, as far as monitor training, the times and dates will be announced and we will post them. They are held in various locations in the SF Bay Area.

I really would like to have 16 monitors because if we get a huge turnout, I would hate to turn people away. Some people are going to travel a long distance to join us, I don't want to turn anyone away.

Those of us who can make the monitor training should.

At this point we have a few banners, hybrid Rainbow/Gadsen flags and a few bullhorns.

If my mechanic comes through on my trans am, I will have a loud steath street racer with a power stereo that can be used as a PA system.

Regretably Don Kilmer won't be able to join us, so I am looking for someone who has a large pickup truck, something like an Alvalanche because that is a great looking vehicle.

If need be, a truck could be rented.

As far as signs, I want signs that people carry to be around 4' X 6' so that way they can be read by the crowds.

I am bouncing around 6 key messages. The messages of course would be "civil rights" themed.

If I have 4 people to carry signs, I get out 2 sign messages. If I have 20 people to carry signs, I could get out 10 sign messages.

It all comes to bodies and resources. This size of this event will depend strictly on participation.

For me, the opportunity to march down the middle of San Francisco during that cities biggest parade of the year and proudly display, speak and promote my pro gun/pro civil rights message is something that hardcore gun rights activists should be all jumping to do.

To me, I relate this action in the battle for our gun rights similar to Dolittle's raid on Tokyo. It is taking the War to our enemies home turf.

For those of you who have never actually met our opponents, in all my dealings with them, they operate from a visceral fear of us.

Nicki
Old 04-07-2013, 8:32 AM

I may consider going.
Old 04-07-2013, 1:25 PM
CGN Contributor

I'm not familiar with the SCRPA - what is that?

As for the parade, I can contribute a few dollars and some time to create signs. I'm fine with the uniform you proposed

It's a bit of a hike from SF, but I'm gonna try to come next Saturday for the range day. If it's okay with you, I'll PM you in a few days when I know for sure if I can make it.
Old 04-07-2013, 4:46 PM
Veteran Member

This time, I'm going to try to make this parade. I have done nothing for months and months. Maybe I can get an Amtrak train from Sacramento. I will start planning now!
Old 04-07-2013, 9:03 PM
Veteran Member

Default Follow up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huse View Post
I'm not familiar with the SCRPA - what is that?

As for the parade, I can contribute a few dollars and some time to create signs. I'm fine with the uniform you proposed

It's a bit of a hike from SF, but I'm gonna try to come next Saturday for the range day. If it's okay with you, I'll PM you in a few days when I know for sure if I can make it.
Santa Clara rifle and pistol association.

I am asking other groups to join us, I hope to be able to swell our ranks so that we can have a contingent that is 50 yards plus long.

Think of it as a huge vocal PRO-GUN billboard to go down the middle of SF.

Something to consider about the signs. Ideally we will have two of every sign so that way the sign carrier just has to focus on their side of the street.

For every two sign bearers we have, we can stretch the length of our group by 2 yards. 10 "message signs" would give us 20 yards.

Nicki
Old 04-08-2013, 5:40 PM

Hopefully I will be proved wrong on the level of participation
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
Substituting the word "love" for getting sexual pleasure from someone of the same sex, is simply dishonest.
Old 04-08-2013, 6:37 PM

I work in the city so I could probably help out with the safety monitoring, just please let me know what the training dates might be and I can see if it works with my schedule.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:18 PM

wow congrats guys! love what you are doing with this....i know alot of gun owners are assumed to be right wing anti gay marriage folks, and this may be true, but there are still plenty of pro gay rights gun owners as well!

good luck to yall...too bad i live 3 hours away.
Old 04-09-2013, 1:22 AM
Veteran Member

Default But it will bring a smile to your face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboyer View Post
Hopefully I will be proved wrong on the level of participation
We have started promoting things and setting things up "NOW" because I want as many of you who as possible to step up.

Many of us have friends who are not on the forum who do care about civil rights, it is just a matter of asking them. Time has a way of just suddenly flying by.

I am in the process of establishing contact with people who were involved with the Ron Paul campaign, those folks would be very good folks to go to because this is something that many of them will do.

Many of them are pro gun even though many don't own guns themselves.

The reality is being in California, we are on the Western front in the fight for gun rights and those of us who are in the SF bay area are at ground zero.

Many of you made court hearings during the middle of the week and you actually had to wear suits. This is casual, it is on the weekend and the weather will probably be great.

Tom and I will be discussing a preferred "Dress code". We want to keep somewhat in the spirit of the Pnk Pistols and the Pride parade.

Nicki
Old 04-09-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieD View Post
I will turn out. Is there a Facebook page for the group I'd like to share it. It will have some traction with my colleagues and acquaintances
There is a pink pistols San Francisco facebook page

Also a national pink pistols facebook page
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
Substituting the word "love" for getting sexual pleasure from someone of the same sex, is simply dishonest.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:05 AM

The best of luck to you guys. It's the oppressed minorities who often serve to lose the most if we lose/restrict our guns rights. Gun rights are the power behind the voice of the people. Have a fun and safe time.
Old 04-10-2013, 4:42 AM

For all his faults James Yeager did a pretty good video about Gay Rights and Gun Rights.

Old 04-10-2013, 6:36 AM

I'll check with may wife, if we don't have anything planned we'll join you guys in the parade. We wanted to last year but were on vacation in hawaii that weekend. We're from San Jose, how is parking going to be that day? Crazy?
Old 04-10-2013, 8:02 AM

I express my opposition in a different form. I never do or will go to San Francisco. Period, end of discussion.
Old 04-11-2013, 5:20 AM
Veteran Member

Default Let's get some things going.

I have heard estimates that the SF Pride Parades attract 200K plus people along the parade routes, this gives us an opportunity to reach many people.

How effective we will be will directly be in proportion to how committed we are before the parade.

I would like to schedule a meeting somewhere in the SF Bay area where we can meet on Sat April 20th from say 12 to 2pm.

Perhaps we can find some place near BART that also has parking and good highway access, I am OPEN to suggestions.

I am flexible on location and I hope that you guys would be also. I don't care if we find a place and the food is not the greatest. What I care about is that we will move forward.

We can use the INTERNET for some follow up after our in person meetings.

The goal of the meeting will be to discuss and identify what resources we need and what resources we will need.

Once we have an idea what we need, we can start asking people to help us because once people know what our task is, it is my hope that they will step up.

Considering how upset many are over the new gun laws being proposed, I would hope that gun owners would take that negative energy and march with us as an act of Defiance.

Nicki
Old 04-23-2013, 5:05 AM

I just found this post. I live in SF & I would like to help. Is it too late to sign on?

When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic110666_7.gif