Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > Ventura Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 5:23 PM

Default UAVs in VTA County

Quote:
Clarification on Unmanned Aerial Vehicles:

The Ventura County Sheriff’s Office released information earlier this week announcing its intention to evaluate an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle system for its potential uses in assisting emergency responders during critical incidents, such as locating missing persons or during hostage situations.

We released the information, including a video simulation, to show the public how a UAV might be useful during search and rescue operations when our helicopters may not be unavailable. We also released our written policy that will govern the use of a UAV by specially trained personnel from the Sheriff’s Office.

During a UAV symposium in Thousand Oaks on March 27th, Sheriff Dean participated in a panel discussion about how a UAV could be useful in search and rescue applications and in locating illegal marijuana crops in the vast backcountry of Ventura County.

An article published today in the Ventura County Star misrepresented the facts about the proposed integration of UAV technology by the Sheriff’s Office.

Sheriff Dean was quoted as saying 150 marijuana plants were located in the backcountry last year. In fact, more than 150,000 plants were located and removed from the Ventura County backcountry.

Sheriff Dean was also quoted as saying the Sheriff’s Office is in the final phase of testing a UAV. That information, as stated in the article, is incorrect.

The Ventura County Sheriff’s Office does not currently own or use a UAV. We are in the process of applying to the Federal Aviation Administration for permission to test a UAV in an unpopulated area of the county to assess its capabilities.

The application has not yet been approved by the FAA, and it could be several months before the Sheriff’s Office has an opportunity to begin testing a UAV.

The release of this information was to make the public aware of our intentions to evaluate an unmanned aerial system and to allow for meaningful discussion about how this technology can be used during critical, life-threatening emergencies.

This is pulled directly off the VCSO facebook page. I know marijuana cultivation is illegal I like how they say that it will be used only for "life-threatening emergencies" and then in the next paragraph talk about using it to look for marijuana.

If you let them use it for anything other than "life-threatening emergencies" UAVs will be used for everything .... sigh*

If you let the government restrict the second amendment today, whats to stop them from restricting the first amendment tomorrow?

You can't spit on the ground and call it rain
Old 03-29-2013, 6:33 AM
Banned

You going to need some of this

Last edited by lakersandguns; 04-24-2013 at 1:08 PM..
Old 03-29-2013, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

I heard about this on the radio the other day. I'm not terribly concerned because they said it's remote controlled and can only stay in the air for 45 minutes. Sounds like little more than a camera on a sophisticated model airplane.

Not sure what the difference is between this UAV and the "drones" everyone keeps talking about, other than weapon capabilities.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:34 AM

If they fly by remote, there is a way to jam them.
Old 03-30-2013, 9:41 PM

i do not want this for Ventura County
Old 03-31-2013, 12:43 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Sooooo....... Who's developing an EMP gun?

Ruger 10/22 TD Field Strip Thumb Screw Knobs... Are HERE!

Buy from Amazon? Use this link to shop and earn money for CGF at the same time!
Old 04-11-2013, 7:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalPlinker View Post
I heard about this on the radio the other day. I'm not terribly concerned because they said it's remote controlled and can only stay in the air for 45 minutes. Sounds like little more than a camera on a sophisticated model airplane.

Not sure what the difference is between this UAV and the "drones" everyone keeps talking about, other than weapon capabilities.
Last I heard they were going with commercially available consumer model toys as UAV's. Like the kind you pilot with an iPhone.
Old 04-11-2013, 7:30 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Considering I can't find a single place to shoot outdoors in all of Ventura County, other than the OVGC, I don't care about this. I grew up in Upper Ojai, there is so much pot planted up there in Los Padres, it would make your head spin so if they want to use drones to locate the pot plants, oh well.

VC Reloading Club on Facebook
VC Reloading Club on Twitter @VCReloading
Old 04-11-2013, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakersandguns View Post
You going to need some of this

Too funny!
Although, I wouldn't be surprised to see them selling beside Zombie shells!!