Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 10-25-2007, 7:38 PM
Veteran Member

Default Broken barrel band bolt (winchester 94)

I have a Winchester 94 and the front barrel band screw broke in half. No problem removing the side with head but the other side is still screwed in. I tried removing the magazine but it won't turn since the screw is between the barrel and magazine slot. Is there an easy way of removing this? Pic is somewhat similar.

TIA
Old 10-25-2007, 7:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If you can't get it before Sunday, bring it to the Agoura range between 3-5 this Sunday. I'll be working there then and I can take a look at it. Or, PM me and we can work out another time and/or place to meet.
Old 10-25-2007, 8:13 PM

Can you put a dab of JB weld on the tip of the broken segment and stick it back to the stuck threaded portion? Wait for the JB weld to cure (anout 24 hours), and remove the screw. Just a thought.
Old 10-26-2007, 5:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
Can you put a dab of JB weld on the tip of the broken segment and stick it back to the stuck threaded portion? Wait for the JB weld to cure (anout 24 hours), and remove the screw. Just a thought.
I thought about that last night but too late to buy some.

CSACANNONEER - If the above method does not work I'll try to come Sunday.

Thanks for replies.
Old 10-28-2007, 1:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quick update for those interested, JB weld didn't hold. I let it dry for 24 hrs and I even use my streamlight flashlight to help in drying.

So I use my trusty dremel and attached a pointed sand stone and with the use of light magnifier and steady hand I sanded the surface of the broken bolt and put a ding on the middle. Why not a center punch you asked? I don't have one. With 1/16" drill bit I started drilling slowly with just enough pressure just to make it bite and make sure it stays center. Once it bit, I use high power to keep the bit straight but still with just enough pressure. It didn't take long the bolt starts rotating with the bit and went straight thru the other side.

Thanks all for those who replied.

CSACANNONEER - I'll see you at Agoura range one time. Are you the big guy who was behind the counter when Roy was working on that burnt out shotgun?