Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 03-25-2013, 1:37 AM
Not a Mod
CGN Contributor

Question Cleaning brass - cheapest way? And Primer question

Yes I saw the thread on tumbling w/ silver..

Anyway, Harbor Freight has a 'vibrating' doodad for $44 which looks very similiar to the brass tumbler described in the Hornady book...

Also, suppose you have a 'recipe' for LG Pistol Primers and end up with LG MAGNUM PP? I've looked at a couple books and both say not to use the mag primers...

Any ideas (other than trading away the mag primers)?

Old 03-25-2013, 1:42 AM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

OKay mag/regular primers really not too much of an issue, just start low and work your way up with them like all regular reloaders will tell you.

I sub mag/reg out in recipes all the time and I have not had any issues cept for maybe more crap landing on my arms if I do not use a LPM for my .44 mag with H110 or whatever...

As for tumbling with silver, I aint seen that thread. I do not see that thread listed anywhere. What did it say?

Sounds expensive though. I say stick to water/pins and citric acid or just citric acid/water ...

What caliber are you reloading for?

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

Author of the NY Times Best Selling book: How to Cheat and Win Like a Pro at Solitaire

Last edited by stilly; 03-25-2013 at 1:47 AM..
Old 03-25-2013, 1:47 AM
Not a Mod
CGN Contributor

Thanks - congrats on 2400 posts.

So what do you suggest for a budget brass cleaner/tumbler (or is manual scrubbing the way to go)?

Old 03-25-2013, 7:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeusa View Post

So what do you suggest for a budget brass cleaner/tumbler (or is manual scrubbing the way to go)?

The small tumbler at my harbor freight was $55 on sale.. it has terrible reviews, so I bought the " 1 year free exchange" warranty.. ive run about 10,000 rounds through mine so far, they turned out great, but the primer pockets still have some schmutz in them, and its starting to run a little hot.. so I may take them up on that warranty pretty soon..

Link:

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-lb-me...ler-67617.html

Im using "lizard litter" crushed walnut shells for media.. about $8 for ten pounds, along with a squirt of meguiars "finish restorer" in every batch.. im still using that first batch of media.. still have over half a bag of lizard litter sitting in the garage..

For a "media separator", I hit my dollar store and bought a 1 gallon pail, a collander that fits the pail, and a second handheld collander to shake the brass around with.. to knock out any media stuck in the cases.. a $3 solution..

If I was trying to clean cases on the super cheap, id use the recipe posted on the web that uses hot water, a bit of vinegar, dish-soap & salt.. id still buy the collanders though, because you have to rinse the brass really well and dry it well.. itll get the cases clean, but not super-sparkly..

Last edited by UnknownShooter; 03-25-2013 at 7:29 AM..
Old 03-25-2013, 1:53 PM
Not a Mod
CGN Contributor

Thanks! I appreciate that!
Old 03-25-2013, 2:07 PM
Veteran Member

I use the harbor freight one and have for years. It works fine for me. You could always just soak the brass in a bucket of hot water and dishsoap, but it would have to dry.

Clean brass isnt a necessity, you could always load them dirty and clean your dies out afterwards.

Ive never run into problems using magnum primers as a substitute either, id just work up a load and watch for signs. Ill trade you a pack of tula primers if you want. Also fowlers has federal primers for sale at a huge markup.

― Roger Zelazny, The Great Book of Amber
Old 03-25-2013, 2:24 PM

Screw the harbor freight tumbler. You can pick up a Lyman Turbo 1200 at Turners for about $70. I had the HF tumbler, and it broke in 2 weeks. My lyman is flawless so far.
Old 03-25-2013, 2:27 PM
Not a Mod
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Mod View Post
I use the harbor freight one and have for years. It works fine for me. You could always just soak the brass in a bucket of hot water and dishsoap, but it would have to dry.

Clean brass isnt a necessity, you could always load them dirty and clean your dies out afterwards.

Ive never run into problems using magnum primers as a substitute either, id just work up a load and watch for signs. Ill trade you a pack of tula primers if you want. Also fowlers has federal primers for sale at a huge markup.
I bought 1k CCI off GunBroker and paid a premium. but I'll take you up on the Tula trade... Last I looked Fowlers only had Federal LG Pistol Magnum primers ( or is that Fed Magnum LG Pistol Primers? )

I think I'll be doing the bucket thing - components are adding up $$$

Old 03-25-2013, 4:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeusa View Post

budget? china freight harbor special vibrator with crushed walnut from petco (lizard bedding).

2400, uhh, ty. If I could reset it to 250 I would...

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

Author of the NY Times Best Selling book: How to Cheat and Win Like a Pro at Solitaire

Last edited by stilly; 03-25-2013 at 4:39 PM..
Old 03-25-2013, 6:48 PM

I also use the harbor freight tumbler, I also use the harbor freight crushed walnut that comes in a 25 lb box, deprimed, size, and trim, then the brass goes in the tumbler with some cut up drier sheets and some maguiers cleaning wax for about 4 hours and comes out looking new, worth the investment.

Sent from the twilight zone
Old 03-25-2013, 7:32 PM

I have this exact tumbler, and have ran it 24 hours straight at times. works fine for me only let down is I want another one when I am cleaning MASS quantities.

http://www.eabco.com/store/reloading...s-brass-cases/

I bought it from EABCO in this package for the same price:

http://www.eabco.com/store/reloading...rotary-sifter/

They may be out of stock but ask when they receive their next order.

Last edited by boomer135; 03-25-2013 at 7:35 PM..
Old 03-25-2013, 8:30 PM

Just bought the harbor freight tumbler this weekend and used it to clean the brass from my trip last weekend. It did start to get warm after 2 hrs straight of tumbling with corncob media but was fine. I had a gift card to HF so I figured if it breaks ill go for the Lyman.
Old 03-25-2013, 9:13 PM
Calguns Addict

I got a lyman fro cabela's for cheap... I use the corn cob media that walmart sells for $4 a bag in the pet section.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:31 PM

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...ategoryId/483?

Get the frankford tumbler, or one of the purple bowl tumblers from grafs. Cheapest tumblers with the highest capacity. (Cost to have it shipped to your door is the same cost you would pay to get the smaller, more breakable, tumbler from Harbor Freight).

Get some cheap small ground cob or walnut media. Pet stores will probably have it available as reptile bedding pretty cheap, or you can buy it from an online blasting media supplier. I wouldn't bother with the treated stuff you see that's red or green. You can add a polish to it if you like, but I just use the cob to get the worst of the carbon/dust/dirt/rangecrap off my brass.

As far as the pocket cleaning goes, it's largely un-necessary, but if you want to, I'd suggest as a quick option that you get a rotary tool of some kind (dremel or knockoff) and a tiny brass brush for it, set the tool up in a fixed, upright position, then just buzz each primer hole for a second or so and move on.

Edit to add: As for sifting goes, just get a bucket and a 99 cent store strainer or hamper. If the slots are smaller than your brass, yet much larger than the cob it will do well for you. Some bottle-neck cases may require a bit of tapping out to knock the cob/nut free.

------

As far as "tumbling w/ silver" i'm guessing you're referring to stainless steel pin tumbling. It's more expensive on the setup, but it does result in some very pretty brass.

------

I also don't know what caliber you're reloading, so I can't tell you if the magnums will be a problem... the answer is "usually not".

Last edited by Munk; 03-25-2013 at 10:34 PM..
Old 03-25-2013, 11:27 PM

+1 for the Frankford kit. I think I got the kit for $60 or $65. I've used it for over a year and just bought more media to top it off. (it comes with enough to start)
I've run it for hours on end and never had a problem. The media separator gets the job done.
Old 03-26-2013, 4:54 PM
Not a Mod
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munk View Post
------

As far as "tumbling w/ silver" i'm guessing you're referring to stainless steel pin tumbling. It's more expensive on the setup, but it does result in some very pretty brass.

------

I also don't know what caliber you're reloading, so I can't tell you if the magnums will be a problem... the answer is "usually not".
Yeah, I barfed that up - I meant stainless media.

Thanks for the tips all of you.

I'm reloading 45LC (pistol) which is 15000 PSI max, and the Lee book really was hardover not to use magnum primers... A few grains either way and you can be overpressure (from the books I'm reading).

And the gun I'm using is a SAA clone - not a Ruger 45LC which CAN take the hotter pressures.

So, I'm still gonna start out with 'non-magnum' primers until I prove to myself I know what I'm doing..

Thanks a lot (all of you) !

I'll post one of those 'hey - I'm a reloader threads' that are as popular as the 'check out my new AR build' or 'finally finished my AK conversion' threads. lol..