Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 03-24-2013, 8:36 PM

Default Dillon 550B primer arm issue

Recently I've been having an issue where the primer arm on my press is not moving reliably to pick up and seat. I've cleaned the arm and plate to ensure that there's nothing hindering full motion, but it seems that it will either not go far back enough or only move forward about halfway to the shell plate. I've adjusted the two screws holding the primer plate to the base and the return spring does not appear to be stretched out. I've also made sure that there's no debris or flakes of powder under the arm. I want to try to lube it, but don't want to ruin my primers. Is there something that I'm missing?
Old 03-24-2013, 8:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmstuff View Post
Recently I've been having an issue where the primer arm on my press is not moving reliably to pick up and seat. I've cleaned the arm and plate to ensure that there's nothing hindering full motion, but it seems that it will either not go far back enough or only move forward about halfway to the shell plate. I've adjusted the two screws holding the primer plate to the base and the return spring does not appear to be stretched out. I've also made sure that there's no debris or flakes of powder under the arm. I want to try to lube it, but don't want to ruin my primers. Is there something that I'm missing?
A bunch of little things come to mind as possibilities.

Is the plate that the shuttle rides on painted or unpainted? The powder painted ones make things smoother.

Did you clean inside the housing where the shuttle slides? Gunk can accumulate up in the corners hindering smooth operation.

I spray both my primer shuttles with that graphite paint, multiple coats. Seems to allow met to go longer between cleaning everything. That spray graphite paint that comes in the orange can is worth it's weight in gold.

Also have you tried the Brian Enos forum, many, many Dillon experts there.

Good luck, have fun.
Old 03-24-2013, 8:54 PM

Try bending your operating rod. The top bend, bend in slightly. The bottom bend, bend out as well. Just a little at a time. I had the same problem on mine and this seemed to cure it.
Old 03-24-2013, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Steele View Post
A bunch of little things come to mind as possibilities.

Is the plate that the shuttle rides on painted or unpainted? The powder painted ones make things smoother.

Did you clean inside the housing where the shuttle slides? Gunk can accumulate up in the corners hindering smooth operation.

I spray both my primer shuttles with that graphite paint, multiple coats. Seems to allow met to go longer between cleaning everything. That spray graphite paint that comes in the orange can is worth it's weight in gold.

Also have you tried the Brian Enos forum, many, many Dillon experts there.

Good luck, have fun.
The plate is painted. I cleaned the entire primer feed area and it works well for a few rounds, but then starts acting up again. Where can I find the graphite paint that you mentioned?

JKmar:
I'll try bending the rod, but don't want to mess it up and screw it all up permanently.

Last edited by jdmstuff; 03-24-2013 at 9:28 PM..
Old 03-24-2013, 9:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmstuff View Post
The plate is painted. I cleaned the entire primer feed area and it works well for a few rounds, but then starts acting up again. Where can I find the graphite paint that you mentioned?
It's called KANO Dry-phite, I think it is made by the same guys that make Kroil oil.

Most guns supply places carry, I think. I found it at Midway: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/960...sol?cm_vc=U112

I would check Graf and Sons as the shipping may be a little less.

Works really well.

Also, I would check the primer housing alignment. If the hole in the base plate is off slightly, the angle the primer shuttle has to run in can cause things to hang up (especially without the graphite lube, aluminum on aluminum can get sticky quickly).

When you install the primer shuttle, if the primer cup has to angle out a little to smoothly ride in the base plate when the ram is down, try pulling the whole housing out as far as the mounting holes will let you as you tighten the mounting holes. The straighter you can get the primer shuttle to run, the smoother the operation. The graphite should help as well.

Good luck, have fun.

Last edited by Bill Steele; 03-24-2013 at 9:39 PM..
Old 03-24-2013, 10:17 PM

Just bend slightly. I had the same problems and emailed Brian Enos about it, he suggested just about all the stuff Bill mentioned. I was still having problems. I happened on a you tube video where the guy on the video bent the rod. Try searching you tube for the video.
Jake