Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 03-24-2013, 2:53 PM

Default 5.56 penatrator reload vs. 1 1/4" steel

IMI 62 gr. 5.56 Penatrator reload at 200 yards vs. 1 1/4 a514 grade s quenched and tempered alloy steel plate.

From photo you can see the non penatrator GW 62gr was a little shorter than the IMI.

The penatrator remained intact after hitting target and gained 9.8 gr. That was the lead and copper in the back of what looks like a mushroom.

I would pick some of the bullet right off the ground in front of the target as they hit and just dropped straight down.

The bullets made small pock marks in the steel but had no other effects.
Old 03-24-2013, 3:07 PM
Calguns Addict

How fast were they going? Factory m855 does 3150fps+.
Old 03-24-2013, 3:28 PM

I did not have a chonograph when I shot the bullets above. I doubt they were over 3000 fps as I recall not loading them very hot. I wanted to shoot at the steel and see how it held up before I donated it to my club for use at 600 yards. It's been at 600 yards now for years and nothing can damage it at all. Of course we are not allowed to shot steel core ammo at steel

These bullets were purchased in 1993 before the Clinton ban went into effect, the bullets are no longer available.
Old 03-24-2013, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronas View Post

IMI 62 gr. 5.56 Penatrator reload at 200 yards vs. 1 1/4 a514 grade s quenched and tempered alloy steel plate.

From photo you can see the non penatrator GW 62gr was a little shorter than the IMI.

The penatrator remained intact after hitting target and gained 9.8 gr. That was the lead and copper in the back of what looks like a mushroom.

I would pick some of the bullet right off the ground in front of the target as they hit and just dropped straight down.

The bullets made small pock marks in the steel but had no other effects.
Depending on velocity (3000fps versus close to 3200fps) you should get good steel life if you limit steel core on the targets to 200 yards or more. At 100 yards or less, you will start to see extensive steel damage IME and the steel will become heavily cratered before too long.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:39 PM
Calguns Addict

I shot some mil surplus rounds at a piece of 1.5" of AR500 plate. Barely knocked off the rust. Some 30-06 ball did not do much better. The 50BMG AP rounds cratered it but would have done more had it been anchored. They did move it up a steep hill about 3 feet from the energy.
The 50bmg just zipped thru a 2" piece of mild steel.
Old 03-25-2013, 7:30 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronas View Post
I did not have a chonograph when I shot the bullets above. I doubt they were over 3000 fps as I recall not loading them very hot. I wanted to shoot at the steel and see how it held up before I donated it to my club for use at 600 yards. It's been at 600 yards now for years and nothing can damage it at all. Of course we are not allowed to shot steel core ammo at steel

These bullets were purchased in 1993 before the Clinton ban went into effect, the bullets are no longer available.
62gr LAP bullets are no longer available? That's just...not true. Have a bucket of 210k at my LGS.

My experience is the 55gr 5.56 does more damage to my steel than my 62gr 5.56 does, at distances under 200 yards.
Old 03-25-2013, 1:05 PM

Quote:
62gr LAP bullets are no longer available? That's just...not true.
Please don't keep it a secret. Where are you buying your IMI 22 cal 62 gr FMJBT. It is IMI part number IMI22C62.

I last bpught them in 1993 for $68 per thousand from Widener's.