Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:31 AM

Default Where the heck are the new gun owners

I think NRA should give a free 1 year membership with every gun sold.

That would add millions to the rolls at least for a few years and at least then the newbies would get some mail info that MIGHT get them off there butts to wake up to whats happening.

Or at least have the shops offer a free NRA newletter or something, seems a waste to have millions of new shooters and such a lousy membership effort.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:03 AM
Calguns Addict

I agree. The manufacturers should offer a $35 rebate if you join the NRA. If you don't join you pay $35 extra( profit to the company), if you join or show current membership, $35 less as that money would go to the NRA. All of the industry would have to stick together to make it work. There could be an option to join another pro gun group if one did not like the NRA.

It is crazy to me that I almost never hear anyone complain about the $35 dros fee even though they are possibly and are actively trying to use the 10s of millions in surplus illegally, but only a fraction of gun owners will spend a few dollars to protect their rights.

Well people do ***** about shops charging for DROS but not the government overcharging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherryj View Post
I am a physician. I am held to being "the expert" in medicine. I can't fall back on feigned ignorance and the statement that the patient should have known better than I. When an officer "can't be expected to know the entire penal code", but a citizen is held to "ignorance is no excuse", this is equivalent to ME being able to sue my patient for my own malpractice-after all, the patient should have known better, right?
Old 03-24-2013, 12:43 PM

In the past year I bought my 1st gun... As well as my second, third, and fourth. I also joined the NRA. I know a few others in the same boat as me... We are out there.
Old 03-24-2013, 1:11 PM

There are quite a few of us here (new shooters). A lot of us do not post, just read and try to get educated with what is going on and what groups to join, where to send donations. I Can tell you there are 3 new shooters in my family along with at least 4 more that I work with. I know without a doubt there is going to be 3 new lifetime memberships to the NRA as soon as the tax refund shows up. I can also say from a new shooter perspective that I had no idea that there is and has been such a huge assault on 2A rights simply because I was one of the many who did not pay attention. My own fault, absolutely.
Old 03-24-2013, 1:41 PM
Banned

"New" gun owners seem to be more passionate than "old" gun owners I meet, many of the old ones are "don't worry that won't pass have a beer"....
Old 03-24-2013, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzona View Post
In the past year I bought my 1st gun... As well as my second, third, and fourth. I also joined the NRA. I know a few others in the same boat as me... We are out there.
Yes, we are out there. I bought my first rifle in August of last year and am just now in a position to pick up my second. Also joined the NRA a few months ago
Old 03-24-2013, 1:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy297 View Post
There are quite a few of us here (new shooters). A lot of us do not post, just read and try to get educated with what is going on and what groups to join, where to send donations. I Can tell you there are 3 new shooters in my family along with at least 4 more that I work with. I know without a doubt there is going to be 3 new lifetime memberships to the NRA as soon as the tax refund shows up. I can also say from a new shooter perspective that I had no idea that there is and has been such a huge assault on 2A rights simply because I was one of the many who did not pay attention. My own fault, absolutely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc308 View Post
Yes, we are out there. I bought my first rifle in August of last year and am just now in a position to pick up my second. Also joined the NRA a few months ago
Welcome to the wonderful world of freedom, and thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherryj View Post
I am a physician. I am held to being "the expert" in medicine. I can't fall back on feigned ignorance and the statement that the patient should have known better than I. When an officer "can't be expected to know the entire penal code", but a citizen is held to "ignorance is no excuse", this is equivalent to ME being able to sue my patient for my own malpractice-after all, the patient should have known better, right?
Old 03-24-2013, 1:50 PM

Smile

I'm a newbie to the NRA, my first pistol and soon to be a member at the local outdoor range. Shoot'em if you got'm!
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/s...aperthandirttv
Old 03-24-2013, 1:55 PM
Calguns Addict

90 million estimated gun owners.

5 million NRA members.

There's a lot of new shooters. The question we should ask is how politically active they are.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 03-24-2013, 1:59 PM
In Memoriam
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTauron View Post
90 million estimated gun owners.

5 million NRA members.
That is one sad statistic!

Someone clearly cares enough about firearms to own one, you'd think that they'd take that small step of membership to protect that ownership.
Old 03-24-2013, 2:03 PM

I recently purchased my first shotgun and on the same day joined the NRA. Also, I've made a few donations to various 2A groups, and for the first time in my life have contacted my elected representatives.

And from now on, come election time, I will make sure and exercise my right to vote against the 'representatives' that seem to have forgotten what their job actually is.

As said above, though we may be quiet, we're out here, we're reading this and other forums, and getting educated.
Old 03-24-2013, 2:06 PM
Calguns Addict

How new are we talking about? I'm here-been shooting since September of '12 although not as much recently. NRA member also, although I'm miffed that I didn't get my free hat...
Old 03-24-2013, 2:15 PM

It was my understanding that we've had a huge influx of new gun owners these past few months. People who weren't into shooting before and thought they'd never own a gun in their life are out buying ARs.

That's just what happens when government tries to ban things I guess.
Old 03-24-2013, 2:19 PM

Education is key. Talk to new owners and tell them how important it is to protect and preserve their civil rights.

It may come as a surprise to many here, but my first gun was purchased in 2012. I'd like to think I've come a long way in a year New owners do take up the banner to protect civil liberties. They just need to understand that there are issues at play that need to be dealt with.

NRA is important, but remember, Calguns Foundation, Cal-FFL, Firearms Policy, etc... They are all working together to help us keep our rights. And, all that work isn't free. People need to be paid to make sure things get done, file lawsuits, run ads, etc.

Bottom line is this. If you spend $50 to shoot, spend $5 on donations. $100? Give an extra $10 to some gun org. Because if you don't give money, your right to spend a nice weekend shooting may no longer be a right...

David Wolf, REALTOR / Broker Associate

In SoCal? Need a REALTOR? Work with someone who shares your love of guns.

CCW LTC holder, NRA Lifetime member

CA BRE# 01420938
Old 03-24-2013, 2:20 PM

I was wondering the same but with gun shows. Why isn't there a requirement to atleast purchase a $35 membership if you are stepping into a gun show if one is not a member already? I understand its already pricey to go to them but it should go without saying, you are doing your part to ensure you can continue attending these events and retain your 2A.
Old 03-24-2013, 4:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
"New" gun owners seem to be more passionate than "old" gun owners I meet, many of the old ones are "don't worry that won't pass have a beer"....
Yup.

Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperX View Post
I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.
Old 03-24-2013, 4:56 PM
CGSSA Associate

New owner, but I won't be buying an NRA membership...I don't totally agree about the way they handle things sometimes, and I like to keep my donation money local - donating to elections I want to help, volunteering my time...
Old 03-24-2013, 5:10 PM
Banned

+1

Do you NRA supporters donate to republican races and volunteer on campaign teams? Do you even vote. I don't buy the 90 million different owners. A quick google says it's 50 million. Only 20% attend church so 10% NRA membership is pretty darn good.

When the NRA impacts local freedom, more will join. All the money seems to be spent in Washington.
Old 03-24-2013, 5:19 PM

I have sent emails and letters to the politicians, but as a resident of this state, it feels pointless since they are the legislators responsible for writing these new atrocities. I am still going to continue the fight as long as I can, I do at least live in a conservative county with a republican representative so hopefully he sympathizes with my letters.
Old 03-24-2013, 5:36 PM
Veteran Member

I'm not sure we want the NRA and it's unceasing hysteria-storm of spam and junk mail to be a new gun owner's introduction to shooting.
Old 03-24-2013, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerlemony View Post
New owner, but I won't be buying an NRA membership...I don't totally agree about the way they handle things sometimes, and I like to keep my donation money local - donating to elections I want to help, volunteering my time...
You are either in or you're out. While I commend your service to the other avenues, bottom line.......NRA is the most effective organization to solidify our 2nd Amendment rights.

I was in your shoes for a long time, didn't like the NRA "No Compromise" vibe, I just didn't get it. I was an apathetic gun owner..."The Government will NEVER step on my toes" I always thought....Until 1994. Enter Slick Willy and Dianne Feinswine and the AWB of 1994!! The rest is history. Ever since then, I truly understand how the anti's will never stop trying to quash our rights.... Ever since then my motto is: "If you're a gun owner...Get on the NRA bus or GTFO!" NRA Life Member Since 1995.

Apathy breeds contempt. c good

Last edited by c good; 03-24-2013 at 5:56 PM..
Old 03-24-2013, 5:55 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

New gun owner here. I've meet other new gun owners and older owners in the past few months.

From what I've experienced. Older gun owners have the knowledge and experience. While new owners have the enthusiasm. A great combination if you ask me.

Auto-Ordnance 1911-A1 .45 ACP
Česká Zbrojovka CZ-75 SP-01 Tactical 9mm
Heckler & Koch VP9 9mm
Kimber 1911 "Raptor II" .45 ACP
Remington 870 Tactical Express 12gauge
Sig Sauer P226 MK25 Navy 9mm
Springfield Armory 1911 "MC Operator" .45 ACP
Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm
Old 03-24-2013, 5:55 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrrracer View Post
I'm not sure we want the NRA and it's unceasing hysteria-storm of spam and junk mail to be a new gun owner's introduction to shooting.
Actually, most people can handle and know what to do about spam mail if they get some.

Then there are those that can't put one foot in front of the other without having a total meltdown.

Which are you?
Old 03-24-2013, 6:11 PM

i never really trusted the NRA to be really firm Without compromise so my support go's more to calguns and Gun owners of California.
Old 03-24-2013, 6:51 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

I know many. Politically, they're all over the map. I turned some of them to Calguns and CGF. Turning them on to the NRA remains however a very tough sell for those of them who are liberals, Dems or libertarians.
Old 03-24-2013, 7:02 PM

I don't really see the NRA doing a whole lot for California specific issues so I have been a bit hesitant to join. Plus, they seem to cater more to hunters and competition shooters and I don't particularly have an interest in either of those things.
Old 03-24-2013, 7:06 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by c good View Post
You are either in or you're out. While I commend your service to the other avenues, bottom line.......NRA is the most effective organization to solidify our 2nd Amendment rights.

I was in your shoes for a long time, didn't like the NRA "No Compromise" vibe, I just didn't get it. I was an apathetic gun owner..."The Government will NEVER step on my toes" I always thought....Until 1994. Enter Slick Willy and Dianne Feinswine and the AWB of 1994!! The rest is history. Ever since then, I truly understand how the anti's will never stop trying to quash our rights.... Ever since then my motto is: "If you're a gun owner...Get on the NRA bus or GTFO!" NRA Life Member Since 1995.

Apathy breeds contempt. c good
Oh, I'm in...and not at all apathetic. What I don't like is the NRA's total inability to simply make logical arguments using the 2A and current US Supreme Court decisions to make their point, instead of saying things like this, from NRA Chief Executive Wayne LaPierre in December of 2012: "The real problem, he said, was Hollywood and video game makers, calling them "a callous, corrupt and corrupting shadow industry that sells and sows violence against its own people."

You're kidding, right? You're talking about blaming an industry based on a right that is just as important as the one you're getting paid to help protect? Yes, definitely. Its the video games.

How about this one, from January of this year: “I would say that the likelihood is that they are not going to be able to get assault weapons ban through this Congress,” NRA President David Keene said on CNN’s “State Of The Union.

Really? The people that are supposed to be devoting their careers to the protection of the 2nd Amendment don't think this could happen? It's the NRA's job to expect the worst and work to prevent it.

I'm no liberal. I'm just about as libertarian as they come (except when it comes to education, but that's for another topic). I think it is pretty alienating that you, as a fellow firearm owner and supporter of the 2nd Amendment, feel that we all have to jump on the bandwagon of what is essentially now a political organization or "GTFO." Maybe I should take your advice and return the new Sig 516 I just picked up today, and throw my considerable support behind some pro-regulation organizations. The pro-gun lobby clearly doesn't want anyone who disagrees with the NRA.

Of course, I wouldn't do that, because I'm a supporter of our Constitution...and people who would like me to turn in my firearms because I don't agree with the way the NRA is run won't scare me away. But they might scare others away...

It's the 2nd Amendment. It doesn't require anything other than US Citizenship. There are other ways to support that amendment than just throwing money at what I see as essentially another union. My money and volunteer time, along with my vote, will continue to be spent in local elections working to elect representatives that will protect my rights no matter what any association tells them to do.

Join or don't join, fine, but don't alienate people for having a different take on it.
Old 03-25-2013, 4:25 AM

As a new shooter, my first gun purchase being in 2012, I can say that there is a large and untapped reservoir of potential gun owners in California. Guns are perhaps more ideologically popular than they have ever been, I have just found that young people in California have something of a psychological barrier.

So they love guns, they love games with guns, they love movies with guns, but it never once occurred to them, raised in gun-free homes, in anti-gun schools, that you can actually BUY guns. This is where the magical range trip comes in. You take one of these people to the range, and 3 weeks later, they have their own gun now.

My own "transition", came in college. I was always pro-gun and my father owned a great number of firearms, but I didn't really live with him, so I didn't spend much time around them. One day in college, I encounter a gun store. It dawns on me: hey, I can actually BUY one of these things.

Personally I think we're sitting on a gold mine, but it can be a bit hard to reach shooters my age. Insofar as joining the NRA, that might not work. I'm personally not a member, I appreciate the fight they make, but they have been on something of a hysterical pitch these days. Lapierre has also been dropping the ball a ton publicly, especially that bit about violent videogames. However what we CAN do is get them involved in other organizations like CGF and SAF, as well as the all important change in their voting policy.
Old 03-25-2013, 4:49 AM
Banned

Well OP there you go. Print this thread and mail to the NRA. Maybe they will wake up and serve the membership in a more effective way.
Old 03-25-2013, 5:19 AM

Quote:
This!
A long time friend who I assumed wouldn't own a gun....we ran into each other at the range. He was prepping for his ccw class with his few month old gun. We've had great fun at the range since!

NO ISSUE / MAY ISSUE / SHALL ISSUE - LTC progress over time since 1986

Old 03-25-2013, 6:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonicspire View Post
Personally I think we're sitting on a gold mine, but it can be a bit hard to reach shooters my age. Insofar as joining the NRA, that might not work. I'm personally not a member, I appreciate the fight they make, but they have been on something of a hysterical pitch these days. Lapierre has also been dropping the ball a ton publicly, especially that bit about violent videogames. However what we CAN do is get them involved in other organizations like CGF and SAF, as well as the all important change in their voting policy.
Current NRA member here.

IMO, the problem facing the NRA with regard to new gun owners is that for decades, the media's been playing the drumbeat that the NRA is a "white man's" club of rich fat cats dancing in money while people are killed left and right.

Seriously, lots of otherwise well meaning individuals wake up and go to bed at night thinking the NRA is a bunch of profiteering terrorists using guns to advance their profit motives. The media's being clever, because they're making the case that because the NRA is run by a group of rich white guys, they must naturally be up to no good. In this day and age of AIG, Enron, and government corruption that image is hard to jettison.

In my estimation, this isn't a problem we can solve. The NRA is Public Enemy #1 as far as the media's concerned no matter who's running the show. We could replace the Board of Directors with a group of black, latino, and female members and Channel 2 would still claim the NRA is profiting off of dead kids-they'd just be careful to omit references to racism. Look at what Colio Noir's dealing with from the "black community"-they've just about called him an Uncle Tom for daring to challenge the cultural victimhood system in Black America.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 03-25-2013, 7:50 PM

I'm a member and NRA maynot be everyones perfect vehicle, but the fact to me is its the only dog in the fight that can do much if they had 50 million members vs 5 think any anti laws would pass?
Old 03-25-2013, 8:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
Look into the history of the Parker-Heller lawsuit sometime (the NRA tried really hard to derail that),
And for justifable reason.

What would you say, if all gun rights in California came down to ONE case , argued by a first time attorney? If he wins, the entire law book on gun control is struck down-but if he loses , the confiscation trucks roll out at 12:00 AM the next morning?

No slight to Alan Gura or his casework, but its real easy to pat ourselves on the back because they won. There would have been serious consequences if the Heller case went sideways.

Old 03-25-2013, 9:00 PM

Where are all the new gun owners?

Do you really have to ask? They are all standing in line at Bass Pro trying to buy a non-existent box of ammo.

PS - I've owned guns for I dunno, maybe 45 years. My SO and I finally joined the NRA and gun forums this year. (Sorry) I guess all this crp finally got me to get off my fanny and start doing at least a tiny part of my share to save our civil rights and possibly the country. We need many more others to do the same.
Old 03-25-2013, 9:48 PM

Bought my first gun a little over a year ago. Up to 17 now also joined nra and actively call writ reps and activlyspeak to.anyone who will listen. Showing your passion puts some people off however.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:13 PM

http://gunowners.org/a03252013b.htm
Old 03-26-2013, 10:48 AM

Joined the NRA and signed up for 3 years membership. Did that 2 months ago because I got fed up with these anti-2nd people.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:02 AM

I thought this topic was about something else...

With record gun sales for 4 years now, what percentage are "new" gun owners? Surely household gun ownership is on the rise in the USA and that is outstanding for the protection of the 2nd Ammendment.
Single Action Shooting Society (SASS) Member #93491
National Rifle Association (NRA) Life Member
Ohio Concealed Handgun License
Old 03-26-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Ditto. 1 year, first handgun, first rifle, lifetime NRA, CCW.
Old 03-26-2013, 1:46 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthor View Post
I thought this topic was about something else...

With record gun sales for 4 years now, what percentage are "new" gun owners? Surely household gun ownership is on the rise in the USA and that is outstanding for the protection of the 2nd Ammendment.
Actually, all numbers point to a reduction of gun ownership in the U.S. in general. As rural America is slowly shrinking, and as kids are moving out to cities and raising families in suburbs, grandpa's shotgun increasingly looks like a relic no one in the family knows how to use anymore.

If you look at the last 50 years, there is no doubt gun ownership is on the decline. But those gun owners who remain tend to own more than one firearm. I suspect probably a strong quarter of those don't just own grandpa's shotgun, but a variety of firearms, as does the typical calgunner.

We're a minority. That's why we need to keep alert, donate to the NRA, the CGF, take our non-gun owning friends to the range or hunting, and not give an inch.