Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 03-24-2013, 8:58 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Default Voices of veterans having effect

Found this article heartening as I've been working in the DC area and in talking with folks around the water cooler, more veterans are speaking up against gun control. In case you didn't know, the Governor-backed Maryland
AWB has already passed the State Senate but is bogged down in the House Committee. Part of the reason has been the voices of veterans, there are many of them here.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...93f_story.html

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2...-gun-ownership

"Del. Kathleen M. Dumais (D-Montgomery), vice chairwoman of the House Judiciary Committee, is one of several from O’Malley’s party who have grown skeptical that a full ban is needed.

Dumais said that after 10 years in Annapolis hearing gun-control bills, she’s more accepting that there are rural parts of Maryland where gun ownership is a central part of life.

She said she was also swayed in part by the testimony of some of the more than 1,300 people who traveled to Annapolis this month to oppose the bill before her committee. Dozens, including some Olympic hopefuls, testified that their livelihoods in competitive shooting could be threatened. Many veterans said they viewed it as a right to own weapons like the ones they were trained to use."
Old 03-24-2013, 10:03 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSet View Post
Found this article heartening as I've been working in the DC area and in talking with folks around the water cooler, more veterans are speaking up against gun control. In case you didn't know, the Governor-backed Maryland
AWB has already passed the State Senate but is bogged down in the House Committee. Part of the reason has been the voices of veterans, there are many of them here.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...93f_story.html

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2...-gun-ownership

"Del. Kathleen M. Dumais (D-Montgomery), vice chairwoman of the House Judiciary Committee, is one of several from O’Malley’s party who have grown skeptical that a full ban is needed.

Dumais said that after 10 years in Annapolis hearing gun-control bills, she’s more accepting that there are rural parts of Maryland where gun ownership is a central part of life.

She said she was also swayed in part by the testimony of some of the more than 1,300 people who traveled to Annapolis this month to oppose the bill before her committee. Dozens, including some Olympic hopefuls, testified that their livelihoods in competitive shooting could be threatened. Many veterans said they viewed it as a right to own weapons like the ones they were trained to use."
BAM! Right there is where we need to open up a new front against the gun control movement.

Those EBRs are what millions of us have been trained to use since the mid 60s. Millions of veterans who's fundamental civil rights will be infringed upon because they can't own/use/possess the most common rifle of our time.

It will also give us common ground that millions of sideline gun owners can identify with. "They taught us to use it in basic training and now they want to ban them."

This. May. Be. Big.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choprzrul View Post
BAM! Right there is where we need to open up a new front against the gun control movement.

Those EBRs are what millions of us have been trained to use since the mid 60s. Millions of veterans who's fundamental civil rights will be infringed upon because they can't own/use/possess the most common rifle of our time.

It will also give us common ground that millions of sideline gun owners can identify with. "They taught us to use it in basic training and now they want to ban them."

This. May. Be. Big.

Fingers crossed.

The Raisuli

WTB: 9mm cylinder for Taurus Mod. 85
WTS: Model 94 AE 30-30
Old 03-24-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:

This. May. Be. Big.

I don't know...seems that pro-control folks wants to ban "military style assault weapons", so why would they want vets to have the weapon they were trained with in the military?

It's my conception that the issues that are being argued now: sport shooting/hunting/self-defense and most importantly freedom are the correct arguments. But, I would like to hear more of your thoughts on why this may be huge.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:34 AM

It's big cause the rifle is Universal! It is no longer military only, there is no exclusively; therefore it's both in common usage and there are lots of the population professionally trained in its use. Go Vets; destroy the liberals terminology.
Old 03-24-2013, 4:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound View Post
I don't know...seems that pro-control folks wants to ban "military style assault weapons", so why would they want vets to have the weapon they were trained with in the military?

It's my conception that the issues that are being argued now: sport shooting/hunting/self-defense and most importantly freedom are the correct arguments. But, I would like to hear more of your thoughts on why this may be huge.

I see a lot of veterans who are at a minimum mildly pro gun, but will never stand up and make themselves heard. If we can connect with them on a most basic of levels, we may very well be able to take a stand with us.

The VA's website shows that there are roughly 22 million veterans in the U.S. today. We need ways to connect to them and make them part of the family. I'm betting nearly 20 million of us have 1 thing in common:

It also happens to be the target of our enemies.

Old 03-24-2013, 5:06 PM

Quote:

It will also give us common ground that millions of sideline gun owners can identify with.
I like to use the "safety" and "training" arguments for the AR. Veterans and many LEOs have bee trained in the safe use of a rifle based on the AR platform. This makes it easy for them to use the AR family of rifles safely and effectively. It also allows them to easily teach their families and friends about safe handling and use of these rifles.

In an emergency situation, such as an home invasion, the veteran with an AR can fall back on years of military training in safe and effective use of the rifle to defend their self and their family.

Since a lot of people express concern about the safety and the level of training firearms owners receive, the AR platform should be the one that has the most support.

If you are an American who is not subject to the UCMJ, then you are a civilian. It is disrespectful to our military members to claim otherwise.

Demanding that LEOs be held to a high standard of professional conduct is a show of respect for the LE profession. Let's all be respectful.
Old 03-24-2013, 5:08 PM

I'm pro-gun and I never touched a firearm in the military. The only weapons systems I got to physically touch was a CIWS, a RIM-116 RAM launcher, and a RIM-7 Sea Sparrow launcher.

Old 03-24-2013, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by im2ninja4u View Post
I'm pro-gun and I never touched a firearm in the military. The only weapons systems I got to physically touch was a CIWS, a RIM-116 RAM launcher, and a RIM-7 Sea Sparrow launcher.
That sucks! I was an Airdale and still got some time on a M-2, 249, multpile M-16's, shotguns, 1911's and M-9's maybe not as much as the Corps and Army. I'd re-up if I were you, I think you got cheated!
Old 03-24-2013, 5:39 PM

Quote:
I see a lot of veterans who are at a minimum mildly pro gun, but will never stand up and make themselves heard. If we can connect with them on a most basic of levels, we may very well be able to take a stand with us.

The VA's website shows that there are roughly 22 million veterans in the U.S. today. We need ways to connect to them and make them part of the family. I'm betting nearly 20 million of us have 1 thing in common:

[IMG]http://www.military-today.com/firearms/m16.jpg[/IMG

It also happens to be the target of our enemies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredAFcop View Post
I like to use the "safety" and "training" arguments for the AR. Veterans and many LEOs have bee trained in the safe use of a rifle based on the AR platform. This makes it easy for them to use the AR family of rifles safely and effectively. It also allows them to easily teach their families and friends about safe handling and use of these rifles.

In an emergency situation, such as an home invasion, the veteran with an AR can fall back on years of military training in safe and effective use of the rifle to defend their self and their family.

Since a lot of people express concern about the safety and the level of training firearms owners receive, the AR platform should be the one that has the most support.

Okay, both of those make a lot of sense. Getting them involved would be great. Now, how to go about doing it? An ad campaign of some sort? Maybe pooling some resources and advertising with some banner ads on some forums that cater to US veterans?

Last edited by sound; 03-24-2013 at 5:46 PM..
Old 03-24-2013, 5:46 PM
Calguns Addict

I saw a statistic that 12% of US are veterans. That's a large number and if it's true (I didn't check it) that's a huge number of potential allies in this fight.

I hope this report is true.
Old 03-24-2013, 5:47 PM

Only bad part of playing that veteran card is the shootings were they claim that the vet was suffering from PTSD. That was what shut us vets out of getting an exclusivity amendment clause during the senate judiciary meeting, and another thing about that one is PTSD can affect Cops too! but they always seem to forget that part when it comes to retired police.
Old 03-24-2013, 6:25 PM

http://www.gallup.com/poll/158729/me...-veterans.aspx

Percentage is about 13% veterans.

The thing that worries me is people don't trust us. Bad press is one thing that is consistent with veterans. If one goes off the deep end then all veterans are time bombs waiting to go off.

There is more prejudice about veterans than any other minority in the United States.
Old 03-24-2013, 6:48 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Percentage is about 13% veterans.

The thing that worries me is people don't trust us. Bad press is one thing that is consistent with veterans. If one goes off the deep end then all veterans are time bombs waiting to go off.

There is more prejudice about veterans than any other minority in the United States.
This must be one of the most un-American thing for anyone to do. Veterans should be held in special honor among all Americans. Any who mistrust and are prejudice towards veterans should spend 1 day in "harm's way" and see how much a veteran had to go thru....

Shame on anyone who doesn't honor the men and women who have, and continue, to defend America and The Constitution...

Auto-Ordnance 1911-A1 .45 ACP
Česká Zbrojovka CZ-75 SP-01 Tactical 9mm
Heckler & Koch VP9 9mm
Kimber 1911 "Raptor II" .45 ACP
Remington 870 Tactical Express 12gauge
Sig Sauer P226 MK25 Navy 9mm
Springfield Armory 1911 "MC Operator" .45 ACP
Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm
Old 03-24-2013, 6:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Every veteran I know is pro gun ownership. Including me.

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper

I'm a seven percenter
Old 03-24-2013, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano2467 View Post
Only bad part of playing that veteran card is the shootings were they claim that the vet was suffering from PTSD. That was what shut us vets out of getting an exclusivity amendment clause during the senate judiciary meeting, and another thing about that one is PTSD can affect Cops too! but they always seem to forget that part when it comes to retired police.
I didn't spend 26 years in so we could have different classes in America with different rights, even if I benefit. The LEO exemptions in many of these laws are bad enough, let's not further divide the remaining gun rights supporters. Besides, all us vets are just future domestic terrorists anyway...
Originally Posted by James Earl Jones
The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.
Old 03-24-2013, 9:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I was an Airdale
Man I need to become current. Last I knew, Airdale was a dog breed of the Terrier kind. I have no idea what that means.

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
-- John Dean "Jeff" Cooper, The Art of the Rifle
Old 03-25-2013, 4:35 AM
Veteran Member

Maybe we should just ask. ..a US Marine, in his dress uniform, holding at order arms, his m16/m4... and the text reads "What is our government more scared of, the man, or his rifle? "... or whatever. ..
Old 03-25-2013, 10:28 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Found it interesting that of all things, it was the veterans having an effect on the legislation. Not Heller, McDonald, the NRA's money or political clout...hmm.
Old 03-25-2013, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smle-man View Post
Every veteran I know is pro gun ownership. Including me.
Same here.
Old 03-25-2013, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiaboli View Post
Man I need to become current. Last I knew, Airdale was a dog breed of the Terrier kind. I have no idea what that means.
Airdales= bb stackers, nose pickers, pilot poppers, tweaks, and trons.
not to be confused with black shoes which were a bunch of deck apes, swab jockeys, bilge snipes and pecker checkers.
now you up to speed?
Old 03-25-2013, 6:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
Maybe we should just ask. ..a US Marine, in his dress uniform, holding at order arms, his m16/m4... and the text reads "What is our government more scared of, the man, or his rifle? "... or whatever. ..

^^ I like ^^

In answer to a post above, I don't believe that anyone is suggestings preferred/special treatment for veterans in regards to firearms ownership, but rather, making a connection on a personal level with veterans to swing them into action on our side.

Theseus: If I may, expanding upon your idea, perhaps 2 photos dated a month apart with the same Marine in uniform and then in street clothes after ETS'ing. Perhaps to kinda help make the connection to veteran status?

Old 03-25-2013, 6:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

I would like to see concrete numbers comparing "snapped" in the civilian population compared to veteran population.

Additionally, we can retort to any 'crazy veteran' talk with '...so you agree, we should be taking better care of our veterans...'

Old 03-26-2013, 4:50 PM

Quote:
I would like to see concrete numbers comparing "snapped" in the civilian population compared to veteran population.

Additionally, we can retort to any 'crazy veteran' talk with '...so you agree, we should be taking better care of our veterans...'

Nice
Old 03-27-2013, 7:34 AM

Quote:
That sucks! I was an Airdale and still got some time on a M-2, 249, multpile M-16's, shotguns, 1911's and M-9's maybe not as much as the Corps and Army. I'd re-up if I were you, I think you got cheated!
Been out 5 years already but considering going back in as an officer