Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 03-24-2013, 8:39 AM

Smile DISCOUNT GUN MART

Yesterday the wife and I went to Discount Gun Mart at Morena Blvd. in San Diego. Got there about 1 pm and walked right into the lanes (after paying etc.) brought my own ammo. shot for about 2 hrs and the total bill was $ 24.17
The guys at the counter were friendly, got us setup right away.
Inside the range ( we went to the rifleside) we shot all our weapons and then one of the range guys came and told us it was time to pack up which we did. The lobby was packed!! with people waiting to get in.
They had plenty of ammo in stock at today's prices.
I am writing this because it was a great experience and that they were friendly and nice about us overstaying by about an hour!!! and only asked us to leave when they needed the lane.
Old 03-29-2013, 9:40 PM

I like DGM for the most part. That's my usual shooting spot, going tomorrow with my brother. Only ever met one employee who I don't care for. Bought 3 guns there and happy with all 3, and with the prices.
Old 03-30-2013, 7:43 AM

Hmmm they never used to have a time limit. That's lame.
Old 03-30-2013, 8:05 AM

If its dead, no time limits are enforced...on the other hand friday to Sunday night is packed. And they will enforce the hour rule if necessary, even then I have noticed they will only come get you after about 1:15, or 1:30. If you don't exit on your own. Seems like cool people at the Santee shop, especially after they see your face a few times.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-30-2013, 8:36 AM

Agree, Nice range I've been in San Diego, People at the counter are friendly. I was there 2 weeks ago and I will be back to shoot there more often

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 05-03-2013, 9:36 PM

Just went tonight, and had a good time. They just changed the rules on ammo, though. Used to be no steel core, now no steel in the projectile is allowed at all. Someone blasted one of their new lanes, apparently.
Old 05-04-2013, 1:15 AM

I like this range too. They have the newer controls which are nice. Ammo proce is a little high though esp .223
Old 05-04-2013, 8:01 AM

Been there a few times, nothing neg to say really, Looks like they hired some new people with good attitudes which is a plus. You can pretty much walk in there and shoot during the week . One thing that black line keeps getting lower and lower.. nimrods keep taking out there carriers .. and ceiling other than that its cool i like there control box.
Old 05-04-2013, 4:39 PM

I like that one older, bearded fellow who works there, good sense of humor. The thing I like most about DGM is that it is open pretty late, 10 PM on weekends if I remember correctly. Stopping in later usually means the crowds are gone too.
Old 05-04-2013, 4:45 PM

Just stop by there around noon. Paid 12 dollars and I stayed in there as long as I wanted. Good time shooting there.
Old 05-04-2013, 5:01 PM

Love Dgm. Going there tonight in fact. Always a good experience.
Old 05-05-2013, 9:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltz View Post
I like that one older, bearded fellow who works there, good sense of humor. The thing I like most about DGM is that it is open pretty late, 10 PM on weekends if I remember correctly. Stopping in later usually means the crowds are gone too.
That's Dave. I like him too, he's a nice guy.

I just took my brother there yesterday, and we shot our inherited 12 ga, there for the first time. 1300 defender, and a Montgomery wards double barrel break open.

good times
Old 05-05-2013, 4:07 PM
CGN Contributor

Both locations are pretty cool. Their attitude at the morena store has definitely gotten better. Santee location is great. They are always up to chat or let you fondle the 1911's if you so wish.

Calguns Community Chapters (C3) - San Diego
Don't sweat the petty stuff, pet the sweaty stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenewgun87 View Post
Bro, do you even operate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlink View Post
If you suck with irons you will suck with optics. The difference is the aimpoint will allow you to suck faster and a scope will give you a closer look at how much you suck.
Old 05-05-2013, 8:49 PM

Wait, nadodave, they allow shotguns now?

As for no steel at all, I guess that will hurt the ak47 shooters like me that have shot tula there many times before in the past. Bummer
Old 05-06-2013, 6:22 PM

I was thinking same thing. when did they start allowing shotguns?
Old 05-06-2013, 6:33 PM

Well checked the ARs there, they did have some in stock, but for $1700 for a m&p optics ready, i think I'll pass.
Old 05-06-2013, 7:14 PM

They've always allowed shotguns on the old side of the range. Don't think they allow them on the new one. And yeah they did mark up the ars. But I expect things will be back to normal pretty soon. They have lowers and parts kits for reasonable prices.
Old 05-06-2013, 7:27 PM

I see. Can someone confirm that tula and related is no longer allowed to be used even out of an ak47?
Old 05-06-2013, 7:58 PM

They allow shotguns but only #4 shot believe.
Old 05-06-2013, 8:10 PM

I started going there 3years ago, and they've always said no rifles, besides .22's and no shotguns. Unless this has changed in since the building of the new rifle side. I have never seen a shotgun on the line at DGM even when i was going 2-3times a month for a year straight.
Old 05-06-2013, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibefuz View Post
I started going there 3years ago, and they've always said no rifles, besides .22's and no shotguns. Unless this has changed in since the building of the new rifle side. I have never seen a shotgun on the line at DGM even when i was going 2-3times a month for a year straight.
Yes rifle side you can shoot up to 30-06 I believe...and shotguns are allowed on pistol side...
Old 05-07-2013, 11:19 AM

Went to check out Discount Gun Mart yesterday for the first time. I got there around 2pm so it wasn't crowded. As many have said, they allow steel cased ammunition but the bullet itself cannot have metal. The staff member, who checked me in (younger-looking male with a goatee) was very polite and helpful. He tested the bullets by placing a small magnet next to them. Unfortunately for me, all of the Russian ammo I had Tula and some Herters all stuck to the magnet.

Bit the bullet and purchased one box of their 7.62x39 PMC which was $23 each!! Had to function test my recently acquired WASR 10/63. Which ran like a dream. The Tapco G2 trigger is awesome.

The place itself is quite dark, so shooting hot Surefire .40 reloads was something. HUGE fireballs. One can argue that the darkness is good training for low-light situations.

The target system is nice. Have not tried the moving target system. Still like P2K better. I will however frequent DGM for handgun practice.

Clint Smith On Gun Safety [ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6Y7LIJm5gI ]
1. All firearms are ALWAYS loaded.
2. Don't point the muzzle at anything you're not willing to destroy.
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you're on the target and ready to shoot.
4. Be sure of your target and backstop.
Old 05-07-2013, 1:49 PM

I guess I'll go to dgm for all but ak shooting
sad that they have to ban bimetal jackets . Thanks for the heads up.
Old 05-07-2013, 3:50 PM

Shotguns are allowed on the pistol range, only #4 and smaller shot, lead only. no buckshot, slugs, etc. Shotgun also must have a stock, no pistol-only grip.

Rifle range allows up to 30-06, steel CASE is ok, but NO STEEL can be in the projectile itself. That means bimetal jackets, previously ok, are now not ok.
Old 05-07-2013, 6:31 PM

Pretty much wiped out wolf, tula, brown bear, mfs, golden tiger and etc for the ak47.
Old 05-07-2013, 7:32 PM

All thanks to someone who tore it up over there.

3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you're on the target and ready to shoot.
Old 05-07-2013, 7:42 PM
Calguns Addict

have been very happy with DGM Santee, go during the week with my pistols.

If I want to shoot my long guns, I go to SBR&G.
Old 05-07-2013, 8:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I can't speak about the one on Morena.. but the Santee one is a last resort. During the summer, it gets hotter than **** in there because they either don't have AC or never run it. Instead they have a couple cheap household fans mounted and you're lucky if all of them work at the same time. Then, it's so dark in there you practically need night sights and you feel like there might be some junky sleeping in that weird dark corner at the end of the tiny little room they stuff you into. The place is just a dump. The only good thing about the place is that it's so cheap. And you definitely get what you pay for. I could only really see going there if you want/need to put like a box or two through your CCW and call it a day. If you plan to bring a rifle, might want to bring a blindfold too.. because shooting paper at 50 FEET isn't going to be much of a challenge to anyone. All that said, still a mile ahead of American Shooting Center. Maybe 2 miles.

Oh and they always have a huge pile of ammo because they charge like $10/box more than the gougers do for everything. Then when you laugh at the price they get all offended like you **** on their dinner table. I mean really though, I could probably put a wanted ad on Craigslist and still get a better price.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

“I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.” - Clint Eastwood
Old 05-09-2013, 1:07 PM

Morena Blvd one is pretty dark too. I failed to mention that they have moving targets and you can select from a few "courses" which is neat. Just remember to tape your targets well.

Old 05-19-2013, 8:05 PM

we've always had a nice experience there. my son goes to sdsu. the pisto bays are small and wow can it get hot in mid day summer. but you know what? i like thier gun and range prices (for what it is) and how fiendly they are.
Old 05-25-2013, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The sarge View Post
Hmmm they never used to have a time limit. That's lame.
only if there are people waiting for a lane
Old 05-28-2013, 9:09 AM

I paid for the membership at DGM and think it was a great deal, its a little pricey on the front end but getting 10% off accessories and ammo, plus 5% off new firearms, that membership has paid itself off no problem.

BTW if you are a member you can call and reserve a lane if you think its going to be busy and you can go over the 1 hour time limit.

If you let the government restrict the second amendment today, whats to stop them from restricting the first amendment tomorrow?

You can't spit on the ground and call it rain
Old 05-28-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damagecase84 View Post
only if there are people waiting for a lane
even then that's lame. I have a membership and still got my time cut only after 1.5 hrs. took my GF to shoot a few different guns she hasn't gotten a chance to shoot. even bought .223 at $1/round so she could shoot an AR for the first time. rented a glock 27 she wanted try, which we had to buy their ammo at $.44/round. and didnt get a chance to shoot the ruger 10/22 that we brought. even with the member we still spent quite a bit and wasn't given enough time to shoot it all.
Old 05-30-2013, 8:25 PM

I had a great experience at DGM in East County about a year or so ago. Good people. It was fun on the range a real mix of cultures and types (and sizes lol)